• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1

Vlad

BlueSummers said:
Still waiting on that Bran Vlad match to see who I'm facing for the thrid round. Ready and waiting :D

You and me both. I just want to actually finally play a match in this damn thing :). I'll keep you updated on the situation when I hear from Bran.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Jiggy37 said:
More like your next punching bag.

:lol :lol . Come on, most people say you are very good =P. If you think that you are gonna lose... YOU WILL LOSE. Be positive =D

Spruchy

Round 3
Match 1 : Castle Siege
Spruchy(Marth) vs. Acerac (Kirby): Victor was Spruchy
Match 2 : Luigi's Mansion
Spruchy (Ike) vs. Acerac (Lucas): Victor was Spruchy

Jiggy

Relix said:
If you think that you are gonna lose... YOU WILL LOSE. Be positive =D
I don't know about that whole "believe and it will become reality" philosophy (said with some irony when I'm a Haruhi fan :p). I thought I was going to lose to OliveJuice for sure after he destroyed me in the first round of our second match--his Falco against my Mr. Game & Watch was practically a slaughter for the ages, especially since I consider Mr. Game & Watch way up there as one of my mains--but somehow I came back. :eek: I can understand the Luigi win; I'd rank my Luigi above my G&W. But how I managed a Pikachu win, or why I even dared to select Pikachu in the first place, is beyond me.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Shanks said:
Your Olimar is fierce and your Captain Falcon was good too. The main matches were practically even too so..

Thanks. It might have been less me being Ness and more you being Ike. :lol He seems so quick for a heavy character. I get caught in his AAA combo.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Jiggy37 said:
I don't know about that whole "believe and it will become reality" philosophy (said with some irony when I'm a Haruhi fan :p). I thought I was going to lose to OliveJuice for sure after he destroyed me in the first round of our second match--his Falco against my Mr. Game & Watch was practically a slaughter for the ages, especially since I consider Mr. Game & Watch way up there as one of my mains--but somehow I came back. :eek: I can understand the Luigi win; I'd rank my Luigi above my G&W. But how I managed a Pikachu win, or why I even dared to select Pikachu in the first place, is beyond me.

Wait, you beat Olive? So that means I won't have to face him anytime soon right? We played some 1v1s and ended in a draw after like 8 matches :lol

Bloodwake

superbank said:
Thanks. It might have been less me being Ness and more you being Ike. :lol He seems so quick for a heavy character. I get caught in his AAA combo.

God, Ike is fucking unstoppable if the right person is playing him.

Blizzard

Banned
superbank said:

Yeah, I get the impression Ike people spam two moves: His AAA combo, and his jumping forward air. Sometimes his jumping back air if they're good, with an occasional dash or up+B recover (also known as making themselves wide open to be hit by Kirby's brick).

Acerac

Banned
Nice matches once again.

I never knew Ike could be played so solidly. The lag sucked, but I think it's safe to say you would have beaten me solidly without it.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Still waiting for rhfb and BudokaiMR2 to finish up round 2 so I can have a round 3 opponent

Hurry up, doods! :O

Yo Bloodwake, just wondering when you're planning on getting your round 2 match done?

I'm possibly gonna be playing you in round 3, so I just wanted to get an idea of when to plan on doing my next match. :D

Bloodwake

PunjabiPlaya said:
Yo Bloodwake, just wondering when you're planning on getting your round 2 match done?

I'm possibly gonna be playing you in round 3, so I just wanted to get an idea of when to plan on doing my next match. :D

Right now, we are aiming for Tuesday. Baiano has some schoolwork he needs to concentrate on Monday, so tomorrow we are good to go. We will be playing that day.

After that, the appropriate people will exchange PMs, friend codes, etc. I've been training to potentially face an Ike player, so we will see what will happen.

Jiggy

For the record, I'm being a bad person right now and haven't sent a PM yet. I'm trying to decide what characters I want to use, based on a set of hypotheticals involving how far I could make it, how possible it might be to avoid using any character more than twice (while surely avoiding repeating a character in the same matchup), and how, even if I were to avoid using characters more than twice, I could save some of the characters I consider my best for matches later in the tournament.

Anyway, the point is that I haven't decided on my characters yet, and I can't decide on my counterpick stage until I decide on my characters, and that prevents me from sending a PM. Actually, I still have to decide on my character for the Castle Siege match in the first place, based on who might perform better or more poorly in its three environments (plus the transition environment)--while also factoring in all that above stuff, of course. If (just as an example) I ultimately decided that Mr. Game & Watch was my greatest character for Castle Siege, I still might not pick him. After all, I don't want to repeat characters more than twice, but I already used him against OliveJuice. So I probably might not use him out of the worry that I might end up against a later opponent or on a later stage that Mr. Game & Watch would be even more well-suited for, but then due to the self-imposed restriction I wouldn't be using him and that could cost me.

Alternatively, I might use him in Castle Siege if I adopted the thought process that I was going to lose within another set of two matches. In such a case, repeating characters more than twice would never become a significant problem and I would have free reign to go ahead and pick him a second time even though it was only one matchup after the first time.

Life is so complicated when you're me. (Either that or I'm just inventing long-winded made-up excuses in order to develop character. Even I can't write off that possibility!)

I'll definitely be ready at least by tomorrow, though. >_> Even if I end up, like, throwing dice or something.

Firestorm

I can't wait for a reply any longer. Just going to choose winners.

vertopci forfeits to dragonlife29
Ashhong forfeits to weepy

Although I feel like disqualifying them all for not even reading their PMs.

Jiggy

dragonlife29 should get the forfeit loss so the rest of us peons have a chance. :(
Nah, might as well let a truly great player advance. vertopci might be great too, I don't know--haven't played vertopci--but I can at least vouch for dragonlife.

DeceitDecide and I had our Round 3 match. Results as follows:

Manabanana (Lucas, Lucas) over DeceitDecide (Pikachu, Pikachu) 2-0; Frigate Orpheon

Jiggy37 said:
For the record, I'm being a bad person right now and haven't sent a PM yet. I'm trying to decide what characters I want to use, based on a set of hypotheticals involving how far I could make it, how possible it might be to avoid using any character more than twice (while surely avoiding repeating a character in the same matchup), and how, even if I were to avoid using characters more than twice, I could save some of the characters I consider my best for matches later in the tournament.

Anyway, the point is that I haven't decided on my characters yet, and I can't decide on my counterpick stage until I decide on my characters, and that prevents me from sending a PM. Actually, I still have to decide on my character for the Castle Siege match in the first place, based on who might perform better or more poorly in its three environments (plus the transition environment)--while also factoring in all that above stuff, of course. If (just as an example) I ultimately decided that Mr. Game & Watch was my greatest character for Castle Siege, I still might not pick him. After all, I don't want to repeat characters more than twice, but I already used him against OliveJuice. So I probably might not use him out of the worry that I might end up against a later opponent or on a later stage that Mr. Game & Watch would be even more well-suited for, but then due to the self-imposed restriction I wouldn't be using him and that could cost me.

Alternatively, I might use him in Castle Siege if I adopted the thought process that I was going to lose within another set of two matches. In such a case, repeating characters more than nice would never become a significant problem and I would have free reign to go ahead and pick him a second time even though it was only one matchup after the first time.

Life is so complicated when you're me. (Either that or I'm just inventing long-winded made-up excuses in order to develop character. Even I can't write off that possibility!)

I'll definitely be ready at least by tomorrow, though. >_> Even if I end up, like, throwing dice or something.

I read this post as the panicked ramblings of a mad Jiggy. :lol You're thinking too much, man. You may have several characters you play as, but you've got to trust yourself. Luck is a part of skill, and as you can't read your opponent, you have to go with your best.

Bloodwake

I think I've figured out a "cinderella" situation for the Smash Bros. tournament.

If, against all odds, someone who lost on the first round of the tournament ended up making it to the championship game.

That would kick major ass and get some fucking respect from me.

Jiggy

At length and with a great deal of thought I settled on Delfino Plaza, and sent a PM to Shanks about it. I had been really close to picking that stage in the first round, but fell just shy since my opponent could set the Delfino Plaza music to 100% and everything else to 0%, but it's a really excellent stage, and I'm not about to do Pokemon Stadium twice.

With that said, I don't know what I'll pick for my fourth round match, because I'm also not doing Delfino twice. D: I'll think about it in advance. Maybe Battlefield, Castle Siege, Halberd, Luigi's Mansion, Smashville, or Yoshi's Island. Not sure. Or I could pick Big Blue if I really wanted to cheap out.

Edit: Forgot to say, I also whipped up The Finalized and Complete and True Round 1 Results and Statistics and have them saved in Word, but I won't be posting them until this whole thing is over and done with. (So, even if you're already out of the tournament, stay tuned!) The only difference over my older post anyway, other than some slight layout changes, is that I added the character usage statistics and win percentages.

Bloodwake

I've not been doing this lately, but I sometimes pick stages where I know everyone will suck on (Ice Climbers (Melee) was a good one in Melee, so is Rumble Falls, 75 mm, Mario Bros.), so that it distracts my opponent enough to where I can win.

It's actually a pretty good strategy.

Jiggy

I know. A great number of my posts are facetious (at least by my subjective definition of "great number"), but I'm dead serious when I say I just might pick Big Blue at some point in the future. Especially if my next match is in the losers' not-winners' bracket and I'm really feeling the burn. :D

Bloodwake

Jiggy37 said:
I know. A great number of my posts are facetious (at least by my subjective definition of "great number"), but I'm dead serious when I say I just might pick Big Blue at some point in the future. Especially if my next match is in the losers' not-winners' bracket and I'm really feeling the burn. :D

Yeah, I always thought Big Blue was pretty damn fun myself.

Blizzard

Banned
Jiggy37 said:

Well, it's even worse because Big Blue is actually probably an amazing choice for jigglypuff, since it does nothing but float around in the air killing everyone. Meanwhile everyone else will be bouncing off the racetrack and dying. DO IT.

Firestorm

I'm surprised nobody has counter-picked Big Blue against me considering everyone knows my opinion of it.

Also Jiggy, too bad about you not wanting to play Delfino Plaza again because it'll be a neutral stage in one of the upcoming rounds =P I'll need to repeat 3 stages, but the neutrals I'm gonna use are Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium 1, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, and Halberd.

Jiggy

Big Blue is the greatest stage ever made.

Blizzard said:
Well, it's even worse because Big Blue is actually probably an amazing choice for jigglypuff, since it does nothing but float around in the air killing everyone. Meanwhile everyone else will be bouncing off the racetrack and dying. DO IT.
Oh, I'm totally aware of that. Unfortunately (and much to the dismay of a lot of people who keep wanting to play against me with Jigglypuff), I don't and frankly kind of can't figure out how to use Jigglypuff in lag. >_> She's hit way, way harder by input lag--or any kind, really, but especially input lag--than any other character I play. (Which is also why I'll pretty much always ask for lag test matches first: to see if the puff is even a theoretical option.)

Firestorm said:
Also Jiggy, too bad about you not wanting to play Delfino Plaza again because it'll be a neutral stage in one of the upcoming rounds =P
Well, if it's round 5 then I might not get to it anyway. Could lose to Shanks and then whoever I'd face in the losers' bracket, after all! :D

bran

Vlad said:
You and me both. I just want to actually finally play a match in this damn thing :). I'll keep you updated on the situation when I hear from Bran.

I waited on a winner from your first round bracket this whole time and never actually saw your name move up in the bracket to 2nd round. Now 2nd round deadline has passed, what do we do?

Vlad

bran said:
I waited on a winner from your first round bracket this whole time and never actually saw your name move up in the bracket to 2nd round. Now 2nd round deadline has passed, what do we do?

Well, as I mentioned in my other PM, we try and figure out the schedule. Since things with my first round opponent fell through due to network issues, he was eventually given a forfeit for (I'm assuming) taking too long to reply to PMs. So, I figure we both try to get our match in ASAP so we can move on to our third round matches.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ashhong forfeits to weepy!!!! Yes! Now.... Ashong versus SixStringPsycho. Get done with it I want a R3 opponent dammit.
Firestorm said:
I'm surprised nobody has counter-picked Big Blue against me considering everyone knows my opinion of it.

We all want to have fun right? That's why I don't pick those weird levels :lol

Bloodwake said:
I think I've figured out a "cinderella" situation for the Smash Bros. tournament.

If, against all odds, someone who lost on the first round of the tournament ended up making it to the championship game.

That would kick major ass and get some fucking respect from me.

I have this theory that Firestorm lost to me on purpose so he could do exactly this :D

By the way Jiggy, WE NEED NEW STATS!

Jiggy

Relix said:
Wait, you beat Olive? So that means I won't have to face him anytime soon right? We played some 1v1s and ended in a draw after like 8 matches :lol
"Beat" might be an overstatement. Not just underselling myself this time, either. The two matches I won ended with both of us on the last stock sitting around, like, 135% (before the finishing blow). >_>

Relix said:
By the way Jiggy, WE NEED NEW STATS!
Updated with the two new winners' bracket results.

Jiggy

Shanks. Edit: I haven't heard any reports of his ability, which can only mean that he so thoroughly slaughtered his opponents that he's terrified them into silence. D:

Bloodwake

Jiggy37 said:
Shanks. Edit: I haven't heard any reports of his ability, which can only mean that he so thoroughly slaughtered his opponents that he's terrified them into silence. D:

I haven't heard anything about Baiano19 either. That's what sucks about your opponent not having a first round match: I have no expectations. He can go back and look at the stats and at least figure out one character I play as.

:(

Hopefully this won't affect my chances. I really want to get to at least the third round before I lose.

Looks like Kinosen and I are having trouble connecting to each other. :/ We'll most likely battle tomorrow or at a later time. If we can get it working :/.

Top Bottom