• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1

Bloodwake

OliveJuice said:
Looks like Kinosen and I are having trouble connecting to each other. :/ We'll most likely battle tomorrow or at a later time. If we can get it working :/.

:(

One thing I hate: the fact that Nintendo's online is keeping a lot of our matches from working correctly

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Jiggy37 said:
1) Jiggy37 (R.O.B., Marth) over Shanks (Ike, Ike) 2-0; Bridge of Eldin

So much for losing. :p

If you do have to play slayn, you're fucked.

Bloodwake said:
I haven't heard anything about Baiano19 either. That's what sucks about your opponent not having a first round match: I have no expectations. He can go back and look at the stats and at least figure out one character I play as.

That doesn't always work. I tried that with my last opponent and he didn't use either character from his last match.

Jiggy

Here are the possible situations:

Dechaios is even better than slayn and advances: I'm dead in the water unless I can get lucky.
slayn is better than Dechaios and advances: I might win or I might lose. slayn's pretty even with me, from what I remember. That would be a nailbiter for sure.
Dechaios is not better than slayn, but advances anyway due to some bizarre circumstance: I can win and be happy. :eek:

usea

I should have realized I just don't have time to play :( I'm generally only available on thursday nights, or between 8am and 9am on weekdays, or on the weekend if I know the time well in advance. Even if I did find time to play my match with infiniteloop, I'd probably find it difficult to schedule a good time for my future match(es).

Sorry guys

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Wow, Sasa just kicked my ass. First I've seen a Donkey Kong that was actually great, which is astonishing considering that I'd never even seen a good one before. I just could not knock him anywhere.

For the stat stuffers I'll just copy the format above:

Killa Sasa (Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong) over Crushed (Wolf, Marth) 2-0
; Lylat Cruise

Good games man.

I take it I fight the winner of Mark D and mattso (J/W b/c I think I've seen Mark post ITT but don't recall mattso. Probably my crappy memory. I also wanna get an idea of how long for my R3 match :p .)?

Bloodwake

Crushed said:
Wow, Sasa just kicked my ass. First I've seen a Donkey Kong that was actually great, which is astonishing considering that I'd never even seen a good one before. I just could not knock him anywhere.

Yeah, I've never seen a good DK before... makes me very curious.

Blizzard

Banned
Bloodwake said:
Yeah, I've never seen a good DK before... makes me very curious.

I realize I presumably shouldn't be off-topic in the tournament thread, but yeah. He seemed decent in N64 to me, though I rarely used him (that backthrow was awesome though), and presumably terrible in melee. But my little brother likes him in Brawl, and it seems they improved basically every one of his moves, except maybe the down-spiking-feet thing. I dunno, it may be better too, it's just shorter. The new down+B is crazy, and his up+B does so much damage to bosses, I imagine it must be good in regular battles too.

Firestorm

He actually wasn't terrible in Melee. If there was another tier list revision, I think DK would move up due to advances in his game made by people like Bum. Search them on YouTube.

And holy crap. Watching a Melee video after playing so much Brawl is like watching something in fastforward.

Sorry to further derail, but DK has improved a lot in this game. Ditto for Yoshi. If you haven't given them a chance b/c they sucked in Melee, try them out now. They may not be the greatest, but you can at least make them competitive.

PS DK's down+B is so vital now. Dk players cannot live without it.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Firestorm said:
He actually wasn't terrible in Melee. If there was another tier list revision, I think DK would move up due to advances in his game made by people like Bum. Search them on YouTube.

And holy crap. Watching a Melee video after playing so much Brawl is like watching something in fastforward.
try watching a melee tournament video with Ganandorf. He looks easily 3x as fast as the brawl version =(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
See Jiggy! You won! :D :D . Now... I need my opponent.. I am pumped up for victory! In fact... I might make a Music Video about the tournament! :D :D :lol :lol

Jiggy

You know, at the beginning when I joked about Killa Sasa and truendo, saying that with names like "BADD" and "PWNER" you've got to be either excellent or trying to compensate, I didn't think it would pan out this closely in line with that. truendo? Out in two rounds without a victory. Killa Sasa? Owning Crushed using Donkey Kong. It's almost like I was right on both counts. >_> All fear Killa Sasa! D:

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Jiggy37 said:
Killa Sasa? Owning Crushed using Donkey Kong. It's almost like I was right on both counts.
During a match to test our connections, he beat my Snake with Yoshi with 2 stock remaining. YOSHI! D:

Oh hells no. Word on the GAF street is that dragonlife, Relix and you Jiggy are the best ones out. I've had my ass kicked plenty by a ZSS/MetaKnight player. That guy is almost not fair to play against. But it's still fun :D

Edit: TBH, even if I somehow do get out of R3, I'm not so sure of my chances against Spruchy. Didn't he win his local tournament or something when it first came out?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Crushed said:
During a match to test our connections, he beat my Snake with Yoshi with 2 stock remaining. YOSHI! D:

Snake is hard to use one-on-one and Yoshi is better then it was in Melee. Give yourself a little credit.

Jiggy

slayn, Nabster, and OliveJuice are right up there with dragonlife and me. This tournament's pretty up in the air, honestly, which is kind of fantastic.

Edit: Speaking of Dr.Hadji (see below), really haven't heard much about his Brawl skills from anybody on GAF, but he has that competitive history with Melee. He could be way up there too.

Fenix

Just for Firestorm's information. I didn't see Dr. Hadji post here that he PM'd me, but he did and I responded.

Well I guess I get to see slayn in action anyway, he's in my 2nd round group for the items tournament, which is my normal stomping grounds.

Hopefully I don't get my ass kicked too handily and grab a W in that too.

Blizzard

Banned
I probably missed this, but am I still waiting on bigmakstudios vs. Mii, or has Mii definitely forfeited that match and thus I should PM bigmakstudios? I've been putting off PMing so I can claim I got eliminated after [x] number of people. =P

Firestorm

If you're waiting for an opponent, could you PM the two participants or at least one and see what's up? It would save me a lot of headache come to think of it. It takes me too long to PM everyone due to the 30 second / 1 at a time flood control.

Round 3

First match

Wolf (biggkidd32) over Mr Game & Watch (KevinCow)

second match

Wolf (biggkidd32) over Olimar (KevinCow) - Shadow Moses
Forfeit during second match.

Jiggy

Winners' Bracket Round 5 Results and Statistics

All matches begin on Delfino Plaza. Listed stages are for second matches, and third where applicable. The numbering system is the match order in Firestorm's bracket. Underlines show the order of winners.

1) biggkidd32 (Wolf, Wolf, Wolf) over slayn (R.O.B., King Dedede, King Dedede) 2-1; Final Destination, Final Destination
2) Milabrega (Mr. Game & Watch, Mr. Game & Watch) over Nabster92 (R.O.B., Marth) 2-0; Smashville
3) BlueSummers (Ness, Ness, Ness) over Kwokuen (Marth, Marth, Marth) 2-1; Yoshi's Island, Final Destination
4) Relix (Luigi, Luigi) over Spruchy (Ike, Ike) 2-0; Battlefield

Matches complete: 4/4. 100% of this round of the winners' bracket is finished!
Shutouts: 2 (50%)
2-1 matchups: 2 (50%)

Preferred stages this round:
Final Destination - 3

Other stages were seen once each: Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island.

Losers' Bracket Round 5 Results and Statistics

All matches begin on Delfino Plaza. Listed stages are for second matches, and third where applicable. The numbering system is the match order in Firestorm's bracket. Underlines show the order of winners.

1) layzie1989 (Lucas, Lucas) over JCX9 (Pikachu, Pikachu) 2-0; Delfino Plaza
2) Vlad (Pit, Pit) over Zeed (Lucario, Lucario) 2-0; Yoshi's Island
3) yeb (Snake, Snake, Snake) over Halycon (Lucario, Pit, Ike) 2-1; Bridge of Eldin, Yoshi's Island
4) dragonlife29 (Jigglypuff, Yoshi) over Enk (Pit, Kirby) 2-0; Hyrule Temple
5) OliveJuice (Falco, Falco) over Mark D (Meta Knight, Diddy Kong) 2-0; Shadow Moses Island
6) Dr.Hadji over Acerac by opponent forfeit
7) Dreavus over JoeFu by opponent forfeit
8) Iam Canadian over SixStringPsycho by opponent forfeit

9) Rentahamster over KevinCow by opponent forfeit
10) Crimmy over DeceitDecide 2-0
11) Vanish over Shanks 2-0; Castle Siege
12) Dechaios (Ganondorf, Wolf, Wolf) over Cowie (Toon Link, Toon Link, Toon Link) 2-1; Smashville, Halberd
13) Keru_Shiri (Falco, Pikachu, Falco) over BudokaiMR2 (Marth, Marth, Toon Link) 2-1; Battlefield, Hyrule Temple
14) Cyan (Pikachu, Pikachu, Pikachu) over funkmastergeneral (Pikachu, Pikachu, Pikachu) 2-1; Hyrule Temple, Yoshi's Island
15) Arol (Lucario, Lucario) over scottnak (Kirby, Kirby) 2-0; Lylat Cruise
16) XiaNaphyrz (Zelda, Zelda) over Bloodwake (Captain Falcon, Captain Falcon) 2-0; Big Blue

Matches complete: 16/16. 100% of this round of the losers' bracket is finished.
Shutouts: 8 (50%)
2-1 matchups: 4 (25%)
Forfeits: 4 (25%)

Preferred stages this round:
Hyrule Temple, Yoshi's Island - 3

Other stages were seen once each: Battlefield, Big Blue, Bridge of Eldin, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza*, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Shadow Moses Island, Smashville. Seriously diversified round here.

*Already the required first stage in each matchup.

Chris R

Firestorm said:
If you're waiting for an opponent, could you PM the two participants or at least one and see what's up? It would save me a lot of headache come to think of it. It takes me too long to PM everyone due to the 30 second / 1 at a time flood control.

Well I know MrCheez is waiting for an opponent, because me and BudokaiMR2 haven't had a battle yet, but I sent him a PM a few days ago and haven't heard back yet :(

Vlad

Well, finally got a match in, and it was a seriously close one versus Bran...

Round 1: Vlad (Pit) vs Bran (Marth) on Final Destination, Winner: Bran
Round 2: Vlad (Sonic) vs Bran (Marth) on Pirate Ship, Winner: Vlad
Round 3: Vlad (Sonic) vs Bran (Marth) on Shadow Moses, Winner: Vlad

Winner: Vlad

Some seriously close games, though. I got lucky due to Bran catching a random cannon shot in the second match, and I managed a hell of a comeback on the third one. For pretty much the entire last stock we were within about 5-10 health of each other, and once we both broke 100%, there was a lot of just standing there and waiting for the other person to make the first move.

And to think, it'll only get more tense from here on out... don't know if I can take more of this :).

Just sent a PM to BlueSummers to get our matches set up.

Jiggy

I say make like Zelda and give him the boot, Firestorm. :D
I have no opinion, but needed to get that line in.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Firestorm said:
Alrighty, sent a PM to Auron_Kale and RoboPlato.

Jiggy

As more and more people are eliminated, I feel more and more sad.

Because it means fewer statistics to track in the future. :(

Top Bottom