• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1

Jiggy37 said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10378491&postcount=625

The second round of the losers' bracket is some kind of non-funny comedy about how many forfeits we can hit. >_>
The true opponents of the loser's brackets were the mod's banhammers and the crushing sense of despair that can only come from smashing on thin ice. The combatant that can emerge from these forsaken brackets to face off in the finals will be a chiseled warrior who can handle any mental pressure.

Jiggy

So basically there's no way the second round losers' bracket could have more completed matchups than forfeits. The two numbers may end up equal, if every other match finishes, but forfeits can never be lower. Crazy.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
rhfb, have you still not heard back from BudokaiMR2? Still need one of you guys to move on to round 3 to fight me :D

Chris R

MrCheez said:
rhfb, have you still not heard back from BudokaiMR2? Still need one of you guys to move on to round 3 to fight me :D
I sent the PM in the wee (lawl) hours of the 30th. Actually it was still the 29th in my timezone when I sent the PM. No word back... and I feel bad holding you up :(

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
rhfb said:
I sent the PM in the wee (lawl) hours of the 30th. Actually it was still the 29th in my timezone when I sent the PM. No word back... and I feel bad holding you up :(

No worries! It's no rush for me, I'm just trying to keep on top of what is going on. :) (Besides if you're opponent isn't responding there isn't anything you can do... not your fault)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Firestorm, can you rush weepy and SixStringPsycho? I don't have a R3 opponent and those two don't seem to be remotely active. I actually want to get done with R3 soon since I will be thin on time next week (probably). So.. halp?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Auron_Kale said:
Just talked to RoboPlato - can't play due to a busted Wii.

Xia, I'll send you another PM.
Replied, hopefully we'll get our round 3 match tonight at 10:15 Pacific.

Vlad

Firestorm said:
PM your potential opponents opponents to see what's up. I can't PM everyone as I'm pretty thin on time THIS week.

Been exchanging PMs with BlueSummers, and it looks like we'll have our match either tonight or tomorrow.

Jiggy

Firestorm Firestorm we need help there was this issue with the thing and also what's the stage for the next round and how about the round after that I can't decide on my next stages or characters if I don't know Firestoooooooooorm and also I want to skip to the next round my opponent agreed can we do it Firestorm my other opponent won't respond yes I have two opponents wait why do I have two opponents the tournament's falling apart we need you now can you ban this stage Firestooooooorm

^^
Is this a decent approximation of what it's like to run one of these unwieldy things?

Bloodwake

Jiggy37 said:
Firestorm Firestorm we need help there was this issue with the thing and also what's the stage for the next round and how about the round after that I can't decide on my next stages or characters if I don't know Firestoooooooooorm and also I want to skip to the next round my opponent agreed can we do it Firestorm my other opponent won't respond yes I have two opponents wait why do I have two opponents the tournament's falling apart we need you now can you ban this stage Firestooooooorm

^^
Is this a decent approximation of what it's like to run one of these unwieldy things?

lmfao

At least one that's this big.

Blizzard

Banned
Well if Firestorm's too busy, maybe someone else can answer. Hardly anyone has finished their round 3 match, and I didn't want to do mine TOO early because I wanted other people eliminated before I get eliminated too.

BUT, I still don't have anyone listed in the matchup chart. Are we supposed to figure it out ourselves, then? I thought bigmakstudios won over Mii by forfeit, but haven't heard or seen confirmation about who's my next opponent, really.

Bloodwake

Blizzard said:
Well if Firestorm's too busy, maybe someone else can answer. Hardly anyone has finished their round 3 match, and I didn't want to do mine TOO early because I wanted other people eliminated before I get eliminated too.

BUT, I still don't have anyone listed in the matchup chart. Are we supposed to figure it out ourselves, then? I thought bigmakstudios won over Mii by forfeit, but haven't heard or seen confirmation about who's my next opponent, really.

You're right, go ahead and PM bigmakstudios. At lest, that's what I have on my brackets.

Bloodwake

ICallItFutile said:
Hey Bloodwake, have you completed your second round match yet? I've been helping Kusagari practice for whichever one of you he faces.

I should be completing it tonight sometime, waiting for Baiano19 to give me an exact time for tonight.

Mark D

PM sent to mattso, still waiting for a reply. Wonder if I'll make it to the next around again via opponent forfeit. :lol

Firestorm: Kinosen and I can't seem to connect to each other. We keep getting 86420 error code. He tried hosting, I tried hosting, we tried joining other people's games but nothing worked. We tried for two days now...and I doubt it'll work. Either my router isn't compatible with the Datel WiFi thing or I don't know. Is there any chance that we could get different opponents or something?

Round 3!

Match 1:
Phantom Flapjack (Ness) over superbank (Captain Falcon) on Castle Siege

Match 2:
Phantom Flapjack (Ness) over superbank (Captain Falcon) on Halberd

Alright so I need to know what to do about my round two match. I didn't get a message until a couple of days ago and I was already out of town. When round two started I didn't have a matchup yet.

Can I still finish the match or what is up?

Sending him my info now.

Chris R

BudokaiMR2 said:
Alright so I need to know what to do about my round two match. I didn't get a message until a couple of days ago and I was already out of town. When round two started I didn't have a matchup yet.

Can I still finish the match or what is up?

Sending him my info now.
Lets go pronto :D :lol

Chris R

BudokaiMR2 said:
Alright let me just start up my wii real quick.

Will be on in 10.

Oh and my pick if I lose is Shadow moses.

Do you have AIM btw?
no aim sorry just pm me or we can abuse this thread for a short while :lol

Chris R

BudokaiMR2:
Marth / Marth

FD / Onett

rhfb:
ROB / ROB

he won 2-0

And holy shit the lag is horrible online. Maybe it had to do with the distance between Japan and the USA but it was like I had to aim for where he was going to be to even connect. This being my first online battle I have no clue if all battles are like this, but if thats the case I might just drop out all together.

Yeah that was odd that only one side had lag.. It was almost perfect for me except a bit of button lag.

It might just be a bad time because usually 1vs1 is fine online.

Round 3 results!

Bluesummers (Ness) over vlad (Sonic) Castle seige 1-0

Bluesummers (Ness) over vlad (Sheik) Pirate Ship 2-0

Bluesummers wins round 3 2-0.

Looks like its me and you Teasel. Italy though!? The lag is going to be crazy.

Vlad

BlueSummers said:
Round 3 results!

Bluesummers (Ness) over vlad (Sonic) Castle seige 1-0

Bluesummers (Ness) over vlad (Sheik) Pirate Ship 2-0

Bluesummers wins round 3 2-0.

Looks like its me and you Teasel. Italy though!? The lag is going to be crazy.

Yeah, I got pretty much smoked that time. My strategy of "running around like a madman while plinking hits out here and there" only barely worked against Bran, and Bluesummers tore right through it.

Of course, there's some things I can't quite figure out yet...

- How do shields work, exactly? I thought that it was just that as long as the shield was "big", they would block anything but a throw, final smash, or something like a charged up swing from the bat item. However, several times during my matches with Bluesummers, I could have sworn I had a nearly full shield up and what seemed like a quick attack from him would cut right through it and send me flying.

- This one I can only call the "invisible banana peel" syndrome. It seems that every so often, usually when moving from a standstill, my character will slip and fall. It seems like they go through the same animation as when slipping on a banana peel (either the item or Diddy's). It must have happened to me about five-six times in my fights against Bluesummers, but items were off, and he certainly wasn't playing as Diddy, so what causes that? It probably wouldn't have shifted the course of the match, but it was certainly annoying, and it'd be nice to know what causes it so I can stop doing it.

Blizzard

Banned
Vlad said:
Yeah, I got pretty much smoked that time. My strategy of "running around like a madman while plinking hits out here and there" only barely worked against Bran, and Bluesummers tore right through it.

Of course, there's some things I can't quite figure out yet...

- How do shields work, exactly? I thought that it was just that as long as the shield was "big", they would block anything but a throw, final smash, or something like a charged up swing from the bat item. However, several times during my matches with Bluesummers, I could have sworn I had a nearly full shield up and what seemed like a quick attack from him would cut right through it and send me flying.

Happens to me to. I can only assume that my shield was just barely off or something, because I'd finished a roll or hit a button.

- This one I can only call the "invisible banana peel" syndrome. It seems that every so often, usually when moving from a standstill, my character will slip and fall. It seems like they go through the same animation as when slipping on a banana peel (either the item or Diddy's). It must have happened to me about five-six times in my fights against Bluesummers, but items were off, and he certainly wasn't playing as Diddy, so what causes that? It probably wouldn't have shifted the course of the match, but it was certainly annoying, and it'd be nice to know what causes it so I can stop doing it.

That's called tripping, and is mentioned in the Dojo, and is apparently totally random. ...and, it's really really stupid, even if it doesn't result in you getting killed (in my case, it usually stops me when I'm about to attack or something)

Jiggy

Vlad said:
How do shields work, exactly? I thought that it was just that as long as the shield was "big", they would block anything but a throw, final smash, or something like a charged up swing from the bat item. However, several times during my matches with Bluesummers, I could have sworn I had a nearly full shield up and what seemed like a quick attack from him would cut right through it and send me flying.
Well, the key word there might be "nearly." Sad to admit I didn't know this until like a month ago, but throughout the series, any part of the character's body that's outside of the shield bubble can take damage.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This tournament will be tight, VERY TIGHT. We have some awesome guys here.... so the Final 8 will be gruesome I think. Maybe too much even for me :D . I need my R3 opponent dammit :lol

Jiggy

Yeah. At the very least, slayn, Relix, OliveJuice, Nabster92, and Manabanana should all do very, very well. Also Dr.Hadji, but that's contingent on him not forfeiting again due to lag issues, and dragonlife29 too, but that one's contingent on him actually showing up.

Edit:
Firestorm said:
We'll give him until 24 hours from now I guess.
It's been a little over 23 hours as of now. >_> Just saying. <_<

Fenix

Damn, I'm out

Round 1: Dr. Hadji (Kirby) vs. Fenix (Captain Falcon) (3-0)
Round 2: Dr. Hadji (Falco) vs. Fenix (Ike) (3-2)

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
Here are the results from our match: (The winner is in bold)

Round 1:

Final Destination

Marth (Kwokuen) vs. Miggs (ROB)

Round 2:

Battlefield

Marth (Kwokuen) vs. Miggs (Wario)

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah. At the very least, slayn, Relix, OliveJuice, Nabster92, and Manabanana should all do very, very well. Also Dr.Hadji, but that's contingent on him not forfeiting again due to lag issues, and dragonlife29 too, but that one's contingent on him actually showing up.

Edit:
It's been a little over 23 hours as of now. >_> Just saying. <_<

Jiggy has zero faith in me doing well :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
If Weepy and SixStringPsycho do not update in the next 24 hours one of them will automatically win for Round 2. I need an opponent!!

Top Bottom