• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Safe Bet said:
I honestly don't see how the old maps are going to feel the same with twice the amount of players, but I'll guess we'll have to wait and see...

32 players on Crossroads sounds like a complete clusterfuck.

The map was "busy" enough with just 16, imagine 32...

It wouldn't be a problem, if say - they made the buildings in the stage more than un-explorable polygon boxes.

Higher levels of interactivity, DEMAND IT!

Crossroads would be awesome if you could now enter every building in the center of the stage. Ambush spots. Sniping roosts. All sorts of cool shit would be possible.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I like what I'm hearing... now I just need to see it in motion.

Pimpwerx

Never played a SOCOM. This game has me interested though. I like the idea of proximity chat. I wish all games used it. L3 isn't always convenient in the heat of battle. PEACE.

Clinton514

Some of those online features are nice. I won't lie, I've never been a huge SOCOM fan. I found it way too clunky but online was top notch. If Confrontation feels right, I'll most def. get into it.

^

You cannot shoot when running or sprinting, however if you sprint and stop to shoot it will take longer to raise your weapon than it would if you had just ran.

Ravenn17 said:
So you have to be in a stationary position to shoot your weapon accurately?

Depends what you term accurate.

I imagine you can cover fire whilst moving, but you could not expect it to be accurate over a reasonable distance.

Ravenn17

Opus Angelorum said:
Depends what you term accurate.

I imagine you can cover fire whilst moving, but you could not expect it to be accurate over a reasonable distance.

Why not? It's fairly simple to do it in s1/s2. This sounds like s3, where tapping the R1 button resulted in a 20 bullet spray.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:
I read the cover story...I'm quite impressed.

And I'm in it too :D

So is there a real party system?
Indifferent2.gif

I don't like proximity chat though, enemies shouldn't be able to hear anything.
Indifferent2.gif

Doel

Opus Angelorum said:
^

You cannot shoot when running or sprinting, however if you sprint and stop to shoot it will take longer to raise your weapon than it would if you had just ran.
The way I read it, sprinting is an extra mechanic that makes you run faster than you have ever been able to run before in a SOCOM game.

Running from previous games is still there and works like it always does where you can still shoot and run.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Doel... they say anything about animation? It looked pretty rough in the early vid.

No45

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/03/31/socom-confrontation-will-include-seven-maps-clan-support/

New (?) press release.

• Intense online combat experience with up to 32 players delivered in High Definition
• 7 highly detailed maps
• New engine built for PS3 with advanced physics, lighting and ballistics including penetration modelling
• Choice of playing as one of five special forces units: United States Navy SEALs, Special Air Service (SAS, United Kingdom), Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK, Germany), Unidad de Operaciones Especiales (UOE, Spain), 1er Régiment de Parachutistes d’Infanterie de Marine (1er RPIMa, France)
• Unrivalled Community Features with increased clan & ladder support
• Tournaments available at the regional, national and global levels
• Advanced player matching enable players to form teams with their friends and easily join an online game
• Integration with SOCOM.com: Stat tracking, clan management tools, My SOCOM pages and more

Ravenn17 said:
I'm confused about the new sprinting/running while shooting dynamic. The player can't shoot while sprinting (understandable) or they can't shoot while running?

System sounds kind of like COD4.

oneHeero

Kittonwy said:
So is there a real party system?
Indifferent2.gif

I don't like proximity chat though, enemies shouldn't be able to hear anything.
Indifferent2.gif
Halo is a little like this.

I think its better the way they are making it. Enemies SHOULD be able to hear you if they are close enough. Its like saying that the enemy shouldnt be able to hear you move around either. The game has always been pretty realistic, so this would be a great addition.

Kittonwy

Banned
oneHeero said:

I think its better the way they are making it. Enemies SHOULD be able to hear you if they are close enough. Its like saying that the enemy shouldnt be able to hear you move around either. The game has always been pretty realistic, so this would be a great addition.

Yeah but if we hate the other clan and want to talk shit about them, in this case we can't since they'll hear us.
Indifferent2.gif

Striker

oneHeero said:

Halo 3's proximity exists in unranked games. In ranked, you can only hear the other team once the game ends and you're chatting in the post-game lobby.

I personally don't mind it either way.

Doel

My audio discussion with another hardcore SOCOM player, Hellman, about Confrontation and some things that have been on our mind.

And yes, this is a hint that I'm testing the waters to kick-start a real podcast I've had on the back burner for quite some time.

FiRez

never played any socom game but I'm interested on this, it seems like a CoD4 in 3rd person. I hope it can be DL like Warhawk

Kittonwy

Banned
Madman said:
You don't want them to hear you talk shit?

No, the best part of talking shit is knowing the fact that your opponents KNOW you're talking shit about them and they get that tick because someone is talking shit about them but they don't know what they're saying or who's saying it.
Indifferent2.gif

Ramirez

FiRez said:
never played any socom game but I'm interested on this, it seems like a CoD4 in 3rd person. I hope it can be DL like Warhawk

It's about a billion times more difficult to be really good at Socom compared to COD4. Well, 1 & 2 anyways.

Ravenn17

BruceLeeRoy said:
System sounds kind of like COD4.

I hope not. That would essentially take the rushing element away from the game. I know running and gunning is unrealistic, but that made the s1/s2 a lot more enjoyable compared to your run of the mill shooter that required a stationary character (CoD's character aren't completely stationary, but you get the picture) to shoot a gun accurately.

evilone

EA Employee
Ramirez said:
It's about a billion times more difficult to be really good at Socom compared to COD4. Well, 1 & 2 anyways.

I have to agree with this statement. Socom 1&2 are insane. I have been in matches where 1 player can wipe out the entire other team because he knows his weapons, where to plant mines, and where to throw grenades and when to rush them and not just camp. Thats the thing about socom is that most of the best players I have seen play do not camp, they will come to you and take you out :D

M3wThr33

Banned
I played through the demo of SOCOM:FTB2 a long while ago and liked it, so I picked up FTB1 and 2.

I played through the first two missions of FTB1 and went online for the first time tonight. Wow. I mean, it's the PSP but there was still a big online community on an old game! Then I go to the SOCOM site and see that SOCOM3 and CA got new maps.

That's fucking awesome. Consider me VERY excited for Confrontation.

1-D_FTW

evilone said:
I have to agree with this statement. Socom 1&2 are insane. I have been in matches where 1 player can wipe out the entire other team because he knows his weapons, where to plant mines, and where to throw grenades and when to rush them and not just camp. Thats the thing about socom is that most of the best players I have seen play do not camp, they will come to you and take you out :D

I didn't play Socom 1 for months (more like two), but I still remember the time I killed everyone on the other team. My heart was pounding when I couldn't find the last straggler. I was in a desperate race with my 7 teammates to find and kill the last guy. I did. And I still remember it.

evilone

EA Employee
1-D_FTW said:
I didn't play Socom 1 for months (more like two), but I still remember the time I killed everyone on the other team. My heart was pounding when I couldn't find the last straggler. I was in a desperate race with my 7 teammates to find and kill the last guy. I did. And I still remember it.

Everything you just said is why socom is one of the best online games built for a console. Top 5

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Ravenn17 said:
So you have to be in a stationary position to shoot your weapon accurately? If so, I don't like the sound of that. :(

I imagine they want a counter-strike type setting.

I think the idea is not to have circle strafing n' shit. So walking n' shooting should be perfectly fine.

methane47

acevans2 said:
What the hell. Those screens look awful :(

I think they are sexy... I dont really care about UBER OMG BEST TEXTURES EVA!!!!!!!!!

as long as the socom gameplay is there.... then...SEX

methane47 said:
I think they are sexy... I dont really care about UBER OMG BEST TEXTURES EVA!!!!!!!!!

as long as the socom gameplay is there.... then...SEX

guoted for truth.

The only thing that looks bad anyways is the character textures

edit: and maybe this is for 60 fps?

Never played a SOCOM game, but do you think this game will have that run n gun feel like in COD4, as in just going crazy while running foward and sporadically shooting everywhere? I didn't like COD4's MP because I thought there wasn't enough strategy.

If everyone can't run foward running in circles shooting at each other, and the game requires some strategy, then I may buy the game.

Maggot9

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Never played a SOCOM game, but do you think this game will have that run n gun feel like in COD4, as in just going crazy while running foward and sporadically shooting everywhere? I didn't like COD4's MP because I thought there wasn't enough strategy.

If everyone can't run foward running in circles shooting at each other, and the game requires some strategy, then I may buy the game.
Socom has a LOT more tactical strategy than COD4. COD4 is like fucking Timesplitters in multiplayer.

KTallguy

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:

If you play the game on hardcore you won't have this problem.

If there's a demo I'd love to try this game. I've never played Socom before. I always thought that the international feel of the game was amazing though.

Greg

If this is anything like SOCOM II, those of you who have never played the series will be in for a fucking treat.

I'm not sure how recent those screens are, but SOCOM has never looked good - the series has never been about the graphics.

J-Rzez

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Never played a SOCOM game, but do you think this game will have that run n gun feel like in COD4, as in just going crazy while running foward and sporadically shooting everywhere?

Hi. You do this in a SOCOM and you're dead. This is why SOCOM is head and shoulders above all the respawn'a'rama's which promote run and gun. Yes, you NEED to have strategy here.

It's really hard to explain, but you'd just have to play it yourself to see. The first couple days/weeks are going to be great picking off all the fools that never played SOCOM before and just have experience with "Oh well, if i'm lucky i'll take these 2 out, if not i just respawn anyways lawl" games.

Doel

I apologize for being slow with some of the updates. I'm in the last month of the college semester and have a ton of overlapping projects to deal with. I'm constantly filming, editing, writing location scouts, etc. It's a bit over-whelming. And in addition to that I'm also trying to run therealsocom.com and start a podcast.

ANYWAYS, SOCOM.com has been having daily updates. Everyone should really bookmark the site as every day there is something new. There is already 2 new posts today.

Spy

SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs was the second console game I ever played online. The first being Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. I can't stop thinking about how awesome SOCOM II was. Day one for me.

Greg said:
but SOCOM has never looked good - the series has never been about the graphics.

Seriously, it's like the Pro Evolution Soccer of shooters. What the old gen Socoms lacked in graphics, it more than made up for it in incredible gameplay.

Top Bottom