• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/24 - 3/30

Arhal_Katarn

Captain Smoker said:
Anyone posted this? o_O

I would have actually thought the wii would have sold more then that last year. Wonder what the top seller this year will be. I would put a bet on psp but if dq comes out this year the ds could have another huge spike.

Lobster

Banned
Arhal_Katarn said:
I would have actually thought the wii would have sold more then that last year. Wonder what the top seller this year will be. I would put a bet on psp but if dq comes out this year the ds could have another huge spike.

According to Panthers great charts, Wii is on path to beat its last year performance.

Arhal_Katarn

Lobster said:
According to Panthers great charts, Wii is on path to beat its last year performance.

Oh i didn't know that, i expect it be a close 3 way fight for first place between psp,ds and wii.

jay

PantherLotus said:
I think this is going to be a fun week for charts. Somebody make a ridiculous assertion so that I can humiliate you with numbers and charts! Please? Jimbo went down sometime last year, the "they aren't close" guy went down a few weeks ago, and then the last guy who said the Wii was "dampening" kindly shut his trap.

Am I supposed to say something controversial for somebody to respond to first? I'm new to this.

You make these threads so inviting. Please tell us more tales of the fools you've so swiftly slain.

donny2112

Arhal_Katarn said:
Oh i didn't know that, i expect it be a close 3 way fight for first place between psp,ds and wii.

I'd expect the DS to do 4.5-5 million this year with Wii doing about that or a little higher. PSP could stay in the race for #1, but it's much less predictable.

Defuser said:
MH is not a sandbox plus you can't do anything you want. Heck,you can't even anywhere you want.

1)Old lady gives you quest to slay or gather
2)You choose quest
3)You be transferred/teleport to various areas to slay
4)Slay monster
5)Gets transported back to the village within 1 min
6)Make weapons/armor with the parts you get from slaying
7)Repeat step 1.
Ah, fair enough. So basically, it's kill big monsters for mad l00tz.

Defuser said:
I wouldn't say that, exactly. Pokemon is more about capturing monsters than killing them and more about grinding and raising their abilities than decking yourself out with the latest gear. Isn't the combat also vastly different? I'm assuming MH uses a real time battle system.

Defuser said:
MH is not a sandbox plus you can't do anything you want. Heck,you can't even anywhere you want.

1)Old lady gives you quest to slay or gather
2)You choose quest
3)You be transferred/teleport to various areas to slay
4)Slay monster
5)Gets transported back to the village within 1 min
6)Make weapons/armor with the parts you get from slaying
7)Repeat step 1.
Ah, fair enough. So basically, it's kill big monsters for mad l00tz.

Defuser said:
I wouldn't say that, exactly. Pokemon is more about capturing monsters than killing them and more about grinding and raising their abilities than decking yourself out with the latest gear. Isn't the combat also vastly different? I'm assuming MH uses a real time battle system though.

Let's also not forget that Pokemon's target audience is kids.

This may seem like a weird comparison to most, but Monster Hunter is closest to a multiplayer, item-heavy, Mega Man.

A pretty high difficulty. Action packed. Advancing requies you to really learn the patterns of your enemies. Enemies give you items that enable you to beat other enemies more easily. Each weapon has total unique characteristics that must be learned.

I know this is a rough comparison, but it is more fitting than the Pokemon comparison I have been hearing.

Rock_Man

Last week's Famitsu numbers are out. First thing I had to do was to update this graph, but it will be more interesting next week of course. We should see the biggest PSP software spike by far.

famitsu-dspsp-080323.png

Edit: And now for the Wii/PS3/Xb360 graph. Armored Core increased 360 software sales shares quite a bit but didn't do anything for PS3 (other than keeping the share at around 25%).

famitsu-ps3wiix360-080323.png

donny2112

Thanks for the graphs. :)

Famitsu Mar 17-23

1. NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage 243271 / NEW
2. WII Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! 66790 / NEW
3. PS3 Armored Core: For Answer 50423 / NEW
4. NDS SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi 46446 / NEW
5. PSP Tales of Rebirth 44888 / NEW
6. WII Wii Fit 42378 / 1719382
7. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS 37939 / 108822
8. WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl 36591 / 1521564
9. NDS Dramatic Dungeon: Sakura Taisen - Kimi Arugatame 35607 / NEW
10. NDS Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Cinema Land 28635 / NEW
11. NDS Time Hollow 25827 / NEW
12. PSP Echochrome 24974 / NEW
13. 360 Armored Core: For Answer 24549 / NEW
14. PS3 Yakuza 3: Kenzan! 18819 / 239167
15. PS2 Gundam Musou Special 16322 / 248410
16. WII The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return 14455 / NEW
17. WII Wii Sports 13667 / 2826835
18. NDS Super Dodgeball Brawlers 13619 / NEW
19. NDS Mario Kart DS 13555 / 2902103
20. PS3 Army of Two 11160 / NEW
21. WII Wii Play 10558 / 2250372
22. NDS Kekkaishi: Kokubourou Shuurai 9920 / NEW
23. 360 Army of Two 8890 / NEW
24. PS2 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator: Shin Yoshimune 8502 / 31456
25. NDS Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 8402 / 271963
26. NDS Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends 8128 / 84779
27. WII General Knowledge Training TV 8106 / 31924
28. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 8008 / 1677317
29. NDS Mario Party DS 7943 / 1650691
30. NDS Rosario to Vampire 7850 / NEW

*. NDS Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword 6100 / NEW
*. PSP Need for Speed: ProStreet 4800 / NEW
*. NDS Puchi Eva: Evangelion @ Game 4300 / NEW
*. NDS Bangai-O Spirits 3200 / NEW
*. 360 Need for Speed: ProStreet 2200 / NEW
*. NDS YS I/II 2000 / NEW
*. PS3 Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII 1300 / NEW
*. NDS Bakousou Dekotora Densetsu Black 1200 / NEW
*. 360 Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII 1100 / NEW
*. NDS Kachou Shima Kousaku DS: Dekiru Otoko no Love & Success 1000 / NEW
*. NDS Zoo Tycoon 2 540 / NEW
*. NDS Spider-Man 3 520 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Feb 18-24, 2008
Feb 25-Mar 2, 2008
Mar 3-9, 2008
Mar 10-16, 2008

donny2112

lopaz said:
people were saying MH was number one for the year, didn't even make the top 5 :S

Monster Hunter Portable 2 was the top selling game in calendar year 2007 that released in 2007, second-best selling game overall in 2007, and not in the Top 5 for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2008. That's what happens when you sell 1 million of your 1.7 million in the previous fiscal year. :p

D.Lo

donny2112 said:
I'd expect the DS to do 4.5-5 million this year with Wii doing about that or a little higher. PSP could stay in the race for #1, but it's much less predictable.
Does anyone else appreciate the irony of Sony basically beoming a handheld only company in Japan? The swap with Nintendo is complete.
...except of course that Nintendo is still #1 in handhelds by a wide margin, and Capcom is taking all the profits of the PSP's Pokemon equivalent

JaMarco

Innotech said:
I do wonder how well MH3 will do on the wii. Its one of the most intriguing sales age questions currently.
Seeing how rabid the PSP fanbase is, maybe a lot of them will buy a Wii just for MH3/

31./35. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
32./32. [NDS] Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant DS (Sega)
33./00. [360] Dark Sector (D3 Publisher)
34./44. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
35./00. [PS2] Sega Ages 2500 Series, Vol. 32: Phantasy Star Complete Collection (Sega)
36./40. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
37./11. [NDS] Dramatic Dungeon: Sakura Wars (Sega)
38./29. [NDS] Shugo Chara! Three Eggs and the Joker in Love (Konami)
39./27. [WII] Everyone's General Knowledge Training TV (Nintendo)
40./28. [PSP] Musou Orochi (Koei)
41./19. [WII] The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (Sega)
42./00. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.)
43./34. [NDS] Soma Bringer (Nintendo)
44./48. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven: Ubiquitous Evolution 2008 (Konami)
45./17. [NDS] Super Dodge Ball (ArcSystemWorks)
46./22. [PS3] Army of Two (EA)
47./47. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
48./41. [WII] Winning Eleven Play Maker 2008 (Konami)
49./00. [PS2] Tomb Raider: Anniversary (Spike)
50./13. [360] Armored Core for Answer (From Software)

NDS - 23
WII - 9
PSP - 7
PS2 - 6
PS3 - 3
360 - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. PSP   -   129,986 |    59,833 | 1,108,816 |  8,710,410
2. NDS   -    58,916 |    65,055 | 1,050,148 | 22,223,199
3. WII   -    48,785 |    62,404 | 1,055,443 |  5,671,603
4. PS3   -    11,206 |    12,874 |   346,590 |  1,988,266
5. PS2   -    10,296 |     9,990 |   167,096 | 21,094,133
6. 360   -     1,547 |     1,407 |    47,046 |    554,387

s_20080324.png

Innotech

Banned
dolemite said:
I think a lot of people prefer the portability of the series, so the success on the Wii is not guaranteed
thats the big question. I think it might manage half of the MHP2 or thereabouts.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wow, PSP really cleaned up this week. Even software saw a big jump.

dolemite said:
I think a lot of people prefer the portability of the series, so the success on the Wii is not guaranteed
I'd tend to agree, much like Pokemon. I think the Wii version will sell well, probably 500k+, but nowhere near what the portable versions sell.

My6cats

Banned
I wish Capcom would make a new Monster Hunter for PS3/360. It would work great with online applications of those machines.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm sorry i hurt everybody's feelings earlier. its so much fucking easier to make blanket statements, not back them up, and then disappear for weeks at a time.

DiddyBop

seems liek the Japanese love their redesigns. first the DS lite now the psp slim. each time a console maker redesigns a console, sales jump and stay very consistent. I'm sure the sony engineers are hard at work preparing a ps3 slim for the release of FFXIII.

Innotech

Banned
PSP is enjoying what NFL fans know of as "garbage time"
but Sony is probably content with the PSP selling whatever it can. Capcom is the one making the dough though. Which is proper really as they are one of the best third parties.

Innotech

Banned
Busaiku said:
That would be like 2x MH2. I don't see that happeneing.
its hard to say at this point. The Wii doesnt really behave like most systems. Itsd hard to pinpoint how sales of a title like MH3 would do. I think 500k is likely but not much more.

Spiegel

Innotech said:
PSP is enjoying what NFL fans know of as "garbage time"
but Sony is probably content with the PSP selling whatever it can. Capcom is the one making the dough though. Which is proper really as they are one of the best third parties.

Yeah, ~9 million systems sold is nothing for Sony

(Un)expected drop for the Wii and PS3 continues doing badly...

donny2112

DiddyBop said:
seems liek the Japanese love their redesigns. first the DS lite now the psp slim. each time a console maker redesigns a console, sales jump and stay very consistent.

That ... completely misses the driving factors of the situations. Do you actually care enough to have it explained why that is?

Innotech

Banned
Spiegel said:
Yeah, ~9 million systems sold is nothing for Sony

(Un)expected drop for the Wii and PS3 continues doing badly...
wat?

Heading away from Christmas/and towards Golden week sales always decline a bit. the Wii is still kicking ass in Japan. Wait, Panther is about to post graphs, I guess that will tell the story.

perfectchaos007 said:
PSP is the new leader in YTD sales! OMG WHAT IS NINTENDO GOING TO DO!?!

They haven't held their usual spring conference in japan yet, so I guess they could have a few announcements up their sleeve. NSMB2 perhaps?

Spiegel

Innotech said:
wat?

Heading away from Christmas/and towards Golden week sales always decline a bit. the Wii is still kicking ass in Japan. Wait, Panther is about to post graphs, I guess that will tell the story.

The Wii is doing great but I thought that it was going to stabilize at ~50k slower

ccbfan

Wow at the PSP and MHP2G but those were expected wows.

What I didn't expect was actually a boost in other PSP games. When was the last time the PSP had 7 games in the top 50.

Also even crazier was Code Geass beating the PS2 version. Is this the first multi-release of this type of game where a current gen system beat the PS2? Heck has any other multi release game beat the PS2 version yet.

I think the PSP is starting to build up a core gaming fanbase. Games that used to bomb on the PSP would probably do respectable right now. Since instead of having a early adopter tech guru userbase, now it actually seems to have a decent sign core gamer group.

Its very similar to the Wii's current third party problem in Japan. The reason those games are bombing like no games have bombed before is because that fanbase who likes those games is just not there yet. Most are still using the PS2. Until a big game is release to lure that fanbase, those type of games don't have an audience to play too. Something like MH3 might but a console MH is still unproven whether its big enough.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Zerodoppler said:
They haven't held their usual spring conference in japan yet, so I guess they could have a few announcements up their sleeve. NSMB2 perhaps?

I know NoA is having an event next week..perhaps Japan will be holding one before that?

God knows Nintendo needs to start announcing some games and dates..after Mario Kart the only upcoming Wii or DS release (I think) is the Zapper with Crossbow Training.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-marketshare-pie-70.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-70.jpg

Market Share Gains & Losses
360: - 0.03
Wii: + 0.08
PS3: -0.04

At this rate
360: Will be above 6.00% until October!
Wii: Will reach 70.00% for the first time in July!
PS3: Will fall below 23.00% by November!

Top Bottom