• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
This game is so fucking gorgeous wow. I'm really impressed. I've just been enjoying the visuals and taking a lot of screen shots lol.

jayj

Banned
I've been enjoying the way I can create my own path in this game. I wasn't too impressed by the graphics at first, saw some noticeable clipping and frame rate slowdown, but as I got into the game the issues seem to have subsided and I've been having a lot of fun. Good game.

genbatzu

the link is spoiler-free

got to play it yesterday a bit and encountered one bug/glitch where I had to load checkpoint. you can actually see inside Delsin, creepy tounge and eyes. xD

It's still a great game and this was the only time I noticed a bug/glitch, rest of my few hours gameplay were great!

I'm finally playing it! If you liked the other inFAMi, you can't possibly not like it, IMHO. It doesn't remake the genre but the refinements are unmistakable! I'm still in the early game, still only have the smoke power. I'm about to clear
Queen Anne.

Put like 6 hours in and I still don't have the second power lulz. Game's fun.

- The side busywork (I won't call them side missions) is Ubisoft tier...

- ...BUT the movement is so fun you almost, almost don't think about it. Seriously, the vent jumps and continuous vent hopping on roofs is one of the most satisfying forms of traversal I've ever seen or felt in a game. They absolutely nailed the animations on that + the particles look amazing.

- Speaking of particles, doing the smoke dive bomb karma move on a crowded street is incredible to watch. So much carnage, and the embers floating in the air afterwards look great. The game really is a stunner visually, and makes me excited for what teams will be doing in 2 or 3 years.

- Combat improves a hell of a lot after you get the good karma ability to regain health from vents + subdued enemies, and filling the karma meter with headshots is satisfying. Enemies are pretty active and can destroy you in the blink of an eye even on normal so that keeps combat hectic and tense .....Until you bust out the karma super move and everything goes boom. It's a nice loop.

- Their version of Seattle looks great, but like Empire City and New Marais before it, is still just a playground for the player and combat. It doesn't feel like a world built to be immersive as much as it's a world where every element serves to facilitate combat, traversal, and the karma system. On one hand that's a good thing, but it leads a situation where: Cars aren't vehicles with people in them, they're just launching pads and bombs. Pedestrians aren't really "alive," they're fodder for the evil path and a challenge to work around for the good path. Police aren't authority figures, they're simply around for the shootout "random event" with criminals. Likewise, criminals aren't really criminals, they're just around for the drug bust activity. Districts aren't really different areas with different resources, sounds, and moods; they're just an excuse to change the architecture providing platforming variety., etc., etc. It's not a world where you can sit back and watch dynamic things happen and have it feel alive. The lack of a real day/night cycle heightens that artificiality, even though I completely understand their reasoning for doing so.

- Audio....I don't know what it is- not just with Sucker Punch but open world games in general- but It's so soft. The individual effects are good, and everything has a distinct sound, but it's all mixed so much lower than I'd personally like aside from most dialogue and the camera alarms. Although it's an improvement from the first two games, it's still not loud enough, both combat and city noise, and sound effects trail off far too quickly moving only a few feet away from the source, or even just turning the camera. Message to all open world devs: TURN IT UP TO 11

- Soundtrack's good. Lots of guitars and strong themes for exploration, combat, and missions.

- Writing is improved. Though Delsin sometimes quips his way between entertaining and try-hard rebel, on the whole it's much more engaging than the first 2 titles, thanks in no small part to the fantastic motion capture during cutscenes.

- Lastly, the tagging motion controls are FAR more entertaining than they have any right to be. Why does this work so well?

So yeah, all in all, it's been a good time so far. It's Super Infamous Turbo Edition, warts and all.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Seattle Center at night. *IMAGE*
Oi, that's spoiler territory.
It shows the hud bar for the third power and the text under the minimap spoils a plot-point.
I know it's probably nothing major, but please just link it and spoiler tag...

EDIT: Thanks!

hal9001

Banned
I just played the climb Space needle mission and it was one of the most breathtaking gaming moments graphically since the Uncharted 2 hotel climb. I literally kept taking screenshots at every moment.

I don't seem to have Cole's Legacy even though I preordered from Amazon (UK), anyone having the same issue?

Did you get the standard edition of the game or the special edition? Only the special edition in the UK contains the Cole's Legacy DLC, unlike the US version where every version gets you the DLC, as long as you pre-ordered.

oh hey paper trail site finally updated
EDIT: and then it 404s when I try to do the next thing

i cant even get passed the first page that leads to my account. I wouldnt think the site would be getting slammed right now, wonder what the deal is

Edit: i got through and tried to link, but its just giving me a strange error message and nothings happening

Namikaze1

After several refreshes, I'm finally on the Paper Trail site and logged in. I go to link my account and when I do I get invalid redirect every time. Fuck this. I'll wait till tomorrow.

Fedex picked up my PS4 coffin at 12pm and UPS delivered I:SS at 6pm.

Yippe, another glorious few weeks of waiting for the console to return from the service center in Texas just to play this game.

Man the Paper Trail website is getting hammered. Trying to check the evidence to start the second mission and it's taking forever.
Edit: "this experience requires a larger screen". Dammit. Lol

Jobbs

Banned
BjUV82pCAAA-EZW.jpg:orig

I see a G.

And I didn't notice that. I'll have to look closely if I find another one of these guys (kinda killed the last one).

So I'm guessing that those that got
concrete didn't upgrade it enough huh? good to know. =D

I think it's
great in a lot of ways. It probably has the most powerful basic "shot" attack of all the powers, and it recharges from downed DUP enemies, so you don't have to leave the combat area to find a source. Also has the best thruster ability by a mile, which gives a good lift and descends slowly. I like it a lot.

Put like 6 hours in and I still don't have the second power lulz.......doing the smoke dive bomb karma move on a crowded street is incredible to watch.

No spoilers, but just wait until you get the 2nd power.
The 2nd power's equivalent of the dive bomb is insane. It may very well be my fave attack in gaming history.

Lucent

Those secret agent missions are so easy when you have
neon power with endless run and slow mo targeting. You can just keep running til you're close and when they materialize you just go slow mo and shoot them once. I've done three in quick succession. lol

Endgame spoilers

Concrete is so amazing wtf

I'm one of those people who got the game early and didn't enjoy
concrete
and yes I upgraded it fully.

Concrete is an alright power. It's good for combat and terrible for traversal, I get that it has its strengths and weaknesses.

However my problem with it lies in the fact that it isn't very epic for it being the last power. We saw it coming the whole game and after getting the video power (which blew my mind) it just didn't seem nearly as special or unique. For example why the hell can we not use the concrete spiral jump that the DUP soldiers have? Or that awesome concrete shield? I just feel like it wasn't nearly fleshed out enough.

Add that to the fact that you get it so late in the game and that you can only get it from enemies, I just don't think it was handled as well as it could have been.

concrete

Concrete is an alright power. It's good for combat and terrible for traversal, I get that it has its strengths and weaknesses.

I feel the exact same way, it felt quite boring and unrefined for a last power. Also, compared to how pretty the other powers were.

FMbarbarian

concrete

However my problem with it lies in the fact that it isn't very epic for it being the last power. We saw it coming the whole game and after getting the video power (which blew my mind) it just didn't seem nearly as special or unique. For example why the hell can we not use the concrete spiral jump that the DUP soldiers have? Or that awesome concrete shield? I just feel like it wasn't nearly fleshed out enough.

Add that to the fact that you get it so late in the game and that you can only get it from enemies, I just don't think it was handled as well as it could have been.

Also
doesn't have a karma bomb. It just doesn't feel as impressive as the others.

Awntawn

Is the sound kind of janky for anyone else? I've noticed that on the home theater setting in-game there seems to be a channel reserved for rear center or something, which 5.1 doesn't have.

It's basically an audio deadzone between the two surround speakers. So if I stand next to someone talking and rotate the camera, the sound rotates between the speakers accordingly until just fades out and disappears behind me until I rotate to the other side.

Am I the only one, or is there a way to fix it?

Lucent

Had to force my self to stop playing. That's how much fun I had. It also plays great using remote play.

Yeah it's hard to stop playing. The world looks so great at night in the rain and all the lights. It's beautiful. Would be awesome if they could add episodic content beyond the paper trail thing. Keep adding powers along the way. And improve
concrete so we can act awesome like the DUP guys

Kuldar

I realy like this game, the traversal is so fun with those powers.

The paper trail DLC is a little disapointing since the website is barely aviable.

Played for 6 hrs straight yesterday and have to say that i absolutely love second son! Combat is a blast and graphics are really nice.

The performance capture is among the best i´ve seen in a videogame yet, the facial animations sometimes reach L.A. Noire´s level imho. This is an extreme step up from infamous 1 and 2. In the predecessors i hated the cutscenes, now i´m looking forward to them :).

Textures are high res and AA is also very good on this one. Indeed i would say best overall IQ in a console game yet.

BigDug13

Is the sound kind of janky for anyone else? I've noticed that on the home theater setting in-game there seems to be a channel reserved for rear center or something, which 5.1 doesn't have.

It's basically an audio deadzone between the two surround speakers. So if I stand next to someone talking and rotate the camera, the sound rotates between the speakers accordingly until just fades out and disappears behind me until I rotate to the other side.

Am I the only one, or is there a way to fix it?

I haven't experienced that. I'm using the Dolby bitstream setting through an Onkyo receiver for reference.

nOoblet16

Man it's never bright in this game, even when the sun is up where 10-11AM/2-3PM sun should be it still looks like it's either dusk or dawn.

Also I wish this game had a day night cycle, it's a standard that I've come to expect from open world game.

BigDug13

Man it's never bright in this game, even when the sun is up where 10-11AM/2-3PM sun should be it still looks like it's either dusk or dawn.

Also I wish this game had a day night cycle, it's a standard that I've come to expect from open world game.

That's really my only complaint about the game so far. But to be fair, those other games aren't very realistic in their "24 hours within 24 minutes" mechanic either.

Top Bottom