• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyou Kara MA no Tsuku Jiyuugyou! 01

Guy gets picked on by bullies and get thrown into a toilet that tosses him into an alternative world where he is suddenly the next magic king.

I know I started some amount into this series, though I guess it is amusing to see the hero so nonchalance about everything so far.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma ☆ Illya Drei 3!! 01

So Illya gets tossed into a parallel world, has no idea what's going on, no magic, no pants, meets up with someone who has even less of an idea of what's going on and fights a gothic loli who attacks using a Berserker arm.

None of this made any sense to me.

Lain

The Beast House 4

This stuff usually doesn't bother me much, but something about this one is getting my blood boiling. Considering the way it started off, in the end Kanna shouldn't break down, but all this shit she's gone through and will go trough is hard to swallow.

Am I the only one who thinks she is grooming him with all of these girls, to end up turning him into a modern Genji for her own use? She's the final boss, you heard it here first.

From what i gather most here have come to the conclusion and it seems most likely.

I mean, she is best girl after all.

Kagerou Daze 01

A shut-in and his computer virus program leave the house for the first time in 2 years and of course gets caught up in something.

Not bad for a first chapter. I imagine my enjoyment would have risen incredibly if I had some Vocaloid music playing in the background while reading this.

Kagerou Daze 01

A shut-in and his computer virus program leave the house for the first time in 2 years and of course gets caught up in something.

Not bad for a first chapter. I imagine my enjoyment would have risen incredibly if I had some Vocaloid music playing in the background while reading this.

You didnt already kagepro?!

scy

First Love Suicide Pact 16 - This is the silliest forced separation possible. "I belong to you" seems a bit much ... then again, suicide pact.

Ootagawa Junjou Lovers 1 - The first half, I felt kind of weirded out for the guy. Maybe it's an inherent bro thing. The last half was a bit more heartwarming though. I liked Atashi no Banbi so that's good enough rationale for me here.

Hinamatsuri 33

Cant stop laughing. Chapter reminded me of Glass Mask lol.

Kingdom 347-349

Woooo. Shin vs Houken. Hype.

Noragami 30

Poor Yato. You have to come back quickly or you will lose Hiyori.

Mortemis

Banned
Minamoto 119

Bath time! I swear if Minamoto can't get it "up" when taking a bath with her, he needs to go see a doctor stat.

Kingdom 347-349

My hype is going through the roof, holy shit. I doubt Shin is going to kill Houken just yet in this series, but man I know he'll do something epic.

scy

Haru x Kiyo 1-2 - Lovely Complex with less gags and prettier people.

lTfekG4.png

Takasugi-san Family's Obento 01

An unemployed pHD takes in his younger cousin into his home.

I like it, it has food, family, a sense of d'awwwww.

Ace of Diamond 69 - 72
tumblr_n2wfvyB1bR1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Dont really care much for You or his team but the training middle part makes this part feel fun. Kominato bros finally interacting was pleasing. I wish it lasted longer a few more pages.

On the baseball front, Eijun getting the Generals attention again, tempted to keep reading to see if it goes the comedy route or serious route again (previous was the towel when he hit the coach, lol).

Tokyo ESP 01

A girl chases after a flying penguin and awakens her psychic powers of going through things.

I like it, it's pretty interesting how the powers came to be and it's light hearted enough so far to make it fun to read. Curious is seeing all these new powers and what kind of plot we'll get from this.

Mokushiroku Arisu v1 (LN)

Mokushiroku Arisu (Apocalypse Alice) is a fantastic first volume for another series penned by one of my favorite writers, Kagami Takaya, (who also does Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign and did Legend of the Legendary Heroes)), and has art from designer and artist of BlazBlue, Katou Yuuki.

The plot and its focus on a disease that only affects girls turning them into labyrinths of varying difficult is unique. I found the concept fun and actually intense for the world and development of magic throughout. On the labyrinth front having the character go into the areas affected by these girls and then dungeon crawling gave it a feeling of feeling like a video game brought to life and merged with the real world. Though it is a serious affair as people can die and the girls ultimately must be killed within the time frame or else the world around is affected as well as the ones dungeon crawling.

Cast has a unique lead who has a personality that I love in series but one people hate, the arrogant and kind of meanish personality, Shinnosuke Arisu, who seems to be the most competent of the magic users thus far even beating out the teachers at the school. With friends by his side by the end of the volume like Hishiro Shiro, best blade user and the most friendly of the cast (forcing Shinnosuke to do all sorts of friendly things and join his crew of friends who love to bond, making it hilarious to see Shinnosuke do these things awkwardly), the LN remains fun.

Mokushiroku Arisu was a fun ride and one offering much promise to the light novel world. Dungeon crawling is fun as well as the level of friendship spread throughout. The Headphone Fuzz mechanic for magic and the different types and things it can do is fairly mindblowing at times. The way it is described though makes me think of Hamatora just for the way they put headphones on (like Hamatora's Nice) and then tapping before launching their attack. I kind of want the same anime studio to work on this eventually as it did seem popular enough to make the charts on the LN list anyway. But on the magic scale enhancing speed through accelerating in split seconds, using elemental type water moves, and enhancing weapon size and power, does still give it all the things I enjoy in magic series.

Cant wait for V2 in mere days.

tumblr_n2wgioW2JH1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TWGOK outlived its welcome. It's time to put it down, for its own good.

Charade

Witch Meets Knight 0-1

Huh. Not much happened here besides -don't judge a book by its cover- and potential yuri. This is the second or so time I've seen the "my hair is blonde cus I used to swim a lot as a kid" thing. Don't think it works quite to that degree, but hey..

Also glad the artist changed the way she drew her eyes from the oneshot. Took me a while to realize they were actually open the whole time. Scary stuff.

Zoushoku Shoujo Plana-chan! 1-21 (END)
Why can't I hold all these Planas

Comedy series from the Idol Pretender guy about a childish, semi-human girl who can replicate herself. Cute but average, with bland characters, dull scenarios and little in the way of actual laughs. Will likely forget about it as soon as I've posted this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom