• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

The Breaker: New Waves 152-153

Someone kill four-eyes already please. I mean, dude is useless and a hinderance and only serves to waste pages.

upandaway

Ah, so that was it.
gEW0sxN.png

wonzo

Banned
Peephole 17

Can't shake the feeling the cops in on it too and she's just fuckin' around the woeful protagonist. Either way she's definitely gonna be dead in ~5 chapters.

New Waves 153
The Breaker: New Waves 152-153

Someone kill four-eyes already please. I mean, dude is useless and a hinderance and only serves to waste pages.
Yeah, dude's just a joke at this point.

scy

Peephole 17

Can't shake the feeling the cops in on it too and she's just fuckin' around the woeful protagonist. Either way she's definitely gonna be dead in ~5 chapters.

There's a good chance everyone is dead is a valid ending.

upandaway

0/10 for me. i don't like it when people change their avatars. >:
That's because you post like once a year. If I kept the same pace I'd hate avatar changes too, because I won't recognize anybody after forgetting all the usernames!

Peephole 17

Don't call it "death", call it "harem upgrade"

Damn am I still in the avatar top three?

Panda pls this is important to me

Shokugeki no Nisekoi 116

This is why Chitoge is the best. She might be bad at cooking, but her love for Raku means she can overcome that. And still have amazing reaction faces.

Marika sucks

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 18

YAY CONFESSION CONFESSION CONFESSION RECIPROCATION YAY

i love this manga. so tragically adorable.

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp). If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga (don't do this on Wednesday though). Most recent at top. Links to previous recommendations at bottom.

1. Lovely Complex with less gags and prettier people. For Haru x Kiyo. From scy.
  2. A shut-in and his computer virus program leave the house for the first time in 2 years and of course gets caught up in something. For Kagerou Daze 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  3. Premise seems neat if it was a bit more self-aware. I just kind of want to see more dungeons. For Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka. From scy.
  4. Dubious shoujo recs from thesaucetastic.
  5. I'm actually really enjoying this. For Tokyo Ghoul. From Cerity.
  6. Volume starts at full throttle and keeps it rolling for the whole duration of the volume. For Karakuri Circus Vol 1. From Lain. (imp)
  7. It's nice to see Suzuki and Haru's relationship start all over again and see how they changed from the start to the end. For Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (rev)
  8. Art's a bit rough, but this is pretty interesting. I guess at least Kouko has some kind of excuse for being a tsundere, here. For Spirit Circle. From Angry Grimace.
  9. upandaway explains the two different Peephole mangas.
  10. Collection of short romance stories by Aki Eda. For Itou-san. From A Huge Battleship. (lol)
  11. Aspiring singer chases her idol by enrolling in an elite music academy that's quite cut-throat. For Moon, World, and Stars 01. From Charade. (imp)
  12. A baby trolls a guy as he tries to get closer to his crush. For Baby, kokoro no mama ni! 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  13. A Boy turning into a Girl discovers a fellow classmate has the exact opposite problem. For Boy Meets Girl, Girl Meets Boy. From wonzo. (scroll)
  14. This one's about a cold girl with a fear of strangers "befriending" a new arrival in her acting troupe. For The Snow Princess. From Charade. (rev)
  15. The world is really fleshed out, mysterious, and interesting throughout the story. For The Music of Marie. From AlabastreAizo. (imp)
  16. A stern looking salaryman and a quiet looking office lady somehow get into an accident and have their bodies switched. For Kasukabe-kun another. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  17. 90s comedy series about a brilliant yet deranged scientist and his creative exploits. For Dr. Kishiwada's Scientific Affection 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  18. Hiromu Arakawa's autobiographical manga For Hyakushou Kizoku. From Akito. (imp)
  19. A short sci-fi story, told well and told beautifully, about a girl whose memory spans the entirety of human history... or not. Very much like a Japanese short novel, probably because it was one first. For Memories of Emanon. From Jintor.
  20. My god, this is too adorable for words. A pair of childhood friends discovers their feelings for each other in the most adorable ways ever. For Hanabatake to Wakarebanashi. From dakkumauji.
  21. By the end of the chapter, all I wanted to do was keep reading the next chapter because I found everything compelling. For Rika. From bigkrev. (rev)
  22. Harem series set in a floating academic city in the Pacific, where kids with superpowers reside. For Rock Paper Scissors 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  23. Save 'N Quit has been judged. For Ana Satsujin.
  24. A romance story about a hamster has no right to actually be good. :( For I Was Human. From thesaucetastic.
  25. Uh, high school guy draws smutty manga. Uses his crush and student council president as base of said smutty manga. For Hanimero. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  26. With that said, the first volume wasn't too bad. Nothing great either but overall it was serviceable thanks to having only one big fight and most of the pages spent on building the few characters introduced. For Crimson Wolf Vol 1. From Lain. (imp)
  27. Cops a feel on his naked, almost unconscious, probably yandere, self proclaimed, shinigami wife before abandoning her on the road and running away from the police. For . From Save 'N Quit.
  28. My oh my, that was a pretty good second half of the first chapter. I'm completely hooked. For Ballroom e Youkoso. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  29. This could turn into something great. Edit: Yeah, this is definitely one of the best things I've read in awhile. For Amari Mawari. From Cerity.
  30. A human hating other humans and wanting to become a monster and a monster that loves humans and wants to make people live in peace. For Sengoku Youko Vol 1. From Lain. (imp)
  31. Lots of red faces and the fact they actually went further than most romantic series in the first chapter could mean this could be good? For Moekoi 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  32. Each of the stories are also amazing in their own right. For Fushigi na Shounen. From Charade. (rec)
  33. Slice of life cook 'em up series about a bunch of 6th graders living in a school dorm. For Gohan Shiyo!. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  34. I'm really curious about volume 3 and how the story ends. For Black Rock Shooter Innocent Soul. From Lain. (imp)
  35. Not gonna lie, this hurt more than I was expecting.
    Tragic
    romance story. Worth reading. Ugh.
    For Once Again. From A Huge Battleship.
  36. It's a shoujo supernatural romcom about an 'ugly', timid witch who guards a graveyard, and whose love interests are a lycanthrope and, uh, her undead uncle. For Hakamori Majo Bianca. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  37. They're just as enjoyable, maintaining the uniqueness, excellent art and, er, frequent mental instability that endeared the first one to me. For Haikyo Shoujo. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  38. Some pretty funny stories, some supernatural elements, and pretty touching ones. For Goggles Vol 1. From survivor. (rev)
  39. Antiwhippy's shoujo rec list.
  40. A collection of interlinked short stories revolving around life and death, based on an album by Sound Horizon. For Roman. From A Huge Batlleship. (rev)
  41. As far as I'm concerned, this was a great read, mainly thanks to Ayako. For Ayako. From Lain. (rev)
  42. Two friends half-jokingly go to city hall to submit a marriage registration. For Getting Used to Being Friends (Fujiwara Ei). From Charade. (?)
  43. On the surface it was a romance story between a shy young girl and the son of her father's new wife, but at its heart it was more of a tale about adolescence, change and growing up. For Kouya no Koi. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  44. The story of a aging world champion boxer looking for his last satisfying fight was an interesting perspective to take. For ZERO (Matsumoto Taiyou). From NeoSoma. (imp)
  45. Hot blooded action manga with kabuki themes, featuring a hero who... cross-dresses to gain power. I'm liking it! For Kunisaki Izumo no Jijou 01. From Antiwhippy.
  46. Katou really is one of the best artists in manga. And the one shot itself is short and sweet. For shoujo manga (Shinkichi Katou). From Dresden.
  47. The Gravity of cat and gravity related manga. For Cat Gravity. From dakkumauji.
  48. Pretty decent short stories collection about delinquents, crazy people and yakuza. For Blue Spring. From survivor. (rev)
  49. The art is really immersive and the action scenes are fluid and fast which is a really good thing in these type of manga. For Mother Sarah Vol 1. From survivor. (imp)
  50. Then shit happened and it turned out the actual story is an awesome mystery. For Kagen no Tsuki. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  51. Overall Parallel Lines is a wonderful collection of stories. For Parallel Lines. From Dedication Through Light. (rev)
  52. And it's a marriage with a bear thing too. MAGNIFICENT! For Nokemono to Hanayome. From Nordicus. (imp)
  53. The desert delusions due to their being no water was a good prompt for some intense interactions. For Sou da, Tottori Sakyuu Ikou. . From Dedication Through Light. (???)
  54. It is a good and unique yaoi manga set in the fantasy world setting with actually good magicks spanning summon skills, time stop abilities, and curses. For Crimson Spell Vol 1. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  55. Fantastic art but my god, the setting is really out there. For Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko Vol 1. From Akito.
  56. The single thing about this is how kinetic the art is for the ping pong matches. So fucking good. For Ping Pong. From wonzo. (imp)
  57. So this was a pretty good josei manga, it hit the right buttons for me. For Knock Your Heart Out. From survivor. (rev)
  58. So, first off, this is hilarious. Secondly, Takao is amazing. Thirdly, no, seriously, Takao. For D-Frag. From scy.
  59. The ending is quite good if a bit rushed. For Velvet Kiss. From Lain. (rev)
  60. It's a 4koma series about the daily activities of a not-very-evil evil organisation, and probably one of the funniest and most enjoyable ones I've read for a good while. For Silva. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  61. Collection of short romance stories, ranging from the action-orientated to the rather touching. For Tenshi no Okurimono. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  62. This manga is one of those things that you'll remember forever for how batshit insane they are. For Palepoli. From LeleSocho. (...)
  63. I was expecting this to be lewd. I was not prepared for how lewd this ended up being. For Kimi wa Midara na Boku no Joou. From jman2050.
  64. I'm pretty glad Takako understands that you don't need to fill your story with dialogue bubbles everywhere so there are lots of storytelling through art alone which is pretty great. For Wandering Son. From survivor. (imp)
  65. Translation issues aside, the stories were some of the most enjoyable shoujo shorts I've read. For Yumenara Samenaide. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  66. Well, amusing once the twist hit in the first chapter. For Renai SLG 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  67. Very unique art style with non-standard paneling composition. For Copernicus no Kokyuu. From survivor. (rev)
  68. I'm expanding my horizons. For Honto no Kanojo 01. From scy. For more expansion, read Majo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane too.
  69. WHAT IS A COCK BUT A MISERABLE PILE OF MEAT? For Avant-garde Yumeko. From wonzo. (the end)
  70. Way better than I was expecting. The characters are all fun and the story isn't too dramatic. For Uwagaki. From dumbyugi. (imp)
  71. There is a good deal of focus on Fran so will probably be better than the actual thing? For Robotics;Notes - Revival Legacy. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  72. He gets exactly what he wishes for, although he forgets something else rather important. For Himitsu no Akuma-chan 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  73. Pretty good. I already like the entire family, Soichiro and his womanizer ways included. For Mix Vol 1. From Lain. (imp)
  74. Charade on Shibuya District, Maruyama Neighborhood: After School, Just the Two of Us (Futari dake) and The Box of Letters.
  75. The designs are different enough that it doesn't really come to mind until you see the characters from certain angles, or focus on the line work. Good stuff. For Mahou Tsukai no Yome. From Dresden. (artz)
  76. Such an imaginative, weird and interesting manga this has been and it was only getting better too. For Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko. From NeoSoma. (imp)
  77. Way too absurd and entertaining over the top violent love story between a machine and a human, and a group of psychos. For Litchi Hikari Club. From survivor. (imp)
  78. Was really impressed by the bizarre and crazy art for the other world's segments. For Genkaku Picasso. From survivor. (rev)
  79. The writing is generally decent and the characters even somewhat nuanced in all their sadly sad sadness, but it is the second and strongest feature on display that makes the story gripping and actively difficult to drop. For Copernicus's Breath. From icarus-daedelus. (rev)
  80. It's actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be. For Noragami. From dumbyugi. (imp)
  81. Another Shintaro Kago masterpiece series consisting of three short stories. For The Power Plant. From wonzo. (???)
  82. A bullied, friendless young girl attempts suicide, fails utterly, then ends up in a hospital ward filled with kind-hearted children who befriend her. For Haru Meguru 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  83. The characters are mostly batshit crazy and the manga is pretty self-aware as well. For Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerosu Vol 1. From Akito. (imp)
  84. This is quite lovely so far. Oozing with charm in ways only a Dowman Seiman work can. For The Voynich Hotel. From Theonik. (imp)
  85. Some science guy comes in and does the sensible thing, namely separating the girl into two copies so the boy can date one. For Uwagaki 01. From Antiwhippy. (imp)
  86. A gamer guy falls in love at first sight. Expect it turns out his crush is the younger sister of his most hated enemy. For Kouryaku Syndrome 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  87. Better shoemaking than Garden of Words. Yeah, completely interesting. All this shoe making is done extremely well. For Ippo. From dakkumauji.
  88. At least it does seem pretty amusing. For Watashitachi ni wa Kabe ga Aru 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  89. A wanna be detective finds a gun that grants whatever wish if you play Russian Roulette with it. For Azanael the Case-Book of ENA 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  90. Meldina Stalina, aka Mechanical Merdina, is a humanity hating machine fanatic from a renowned (and largely dead) family. For Kikai Shikake no Meldina 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  91. Deadbeat guy ends up at a shrine and eats some food lying around managing to marry himself to a fox spirit who was having a marriage at the same time. For Kakemakumo, Kashikoki. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  92. Man, I was really hoping for manga recommendations with detective waifus :(
  93. The story was sort of refreshing with all the fights, the bad behavior of the baseball team and trying to overcome that. For Rookies. From jbug617. (imp)
  94. From what I learned, all guys in a baseball team are usually horny or whatever. For Love and Baseball 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  95. Our lead is always in the shadow of her more popular older sister so once she enters high school, she decides to change. For Sugar Soldier. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  96. Despite the insane amount of gore that made me uncomfortable, I actually liked Fran and her adventures of science and 'life-saving' and would have liked to seen more. For Franken Fran. From HassanJamal. (rev)
  97. Holy mackerel, talk about exceeding my expectations. An inspired, fantastic re-imagining of the legend of Spring-heeled Jack. For Black Museum Springald. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  98. Well I guess the world is still screwed, lol. Fear the giraffe. For Senyuu 3 01. From dakkumauji. (?)
  99. I find this both aggravating and compelling at the same time. For Cheese in the Trap. From curlyfriski. (imp)
  100. A timeline of my reactions to Horimiya For Horimiya. From PhillipCostigan. (...)
  101. A short story collection about various characters each with a different trouble in life like social anxiety or resentment. For Sora ga Haiiro dakara. From Akito. (?)
  102. You think you know about stretching? Think again. For Stretch 01. From Akito. (imp)
  103. A recent shut-in of some sorts get visited by her handsome new neighbor. For Tsuki Akari no Shoutaijou. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  104. 7 kids, all criminals in one way or another, 6 of them have had a bodypart removed, 1 of them is an amalgamation of the other 6's parts. For Dolls Code 01. From Cerity. (imp) Additional impressions from dakkumauji here.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Alice was just way too cute in the last chapter. Sorry neorice brigade. :(

Also not really related but I just got PS vita and I have to say that this system is japanese as fuck.

Akito

Also not really related but I just got PS vita and I have to say that this system is japanese as fuck.
If by japanese you mean slick and awesome than yeah.
You should have seen the bubbles before they got the anti-aliasing makeover.

Antiwhippy

If by japanese you mean slick and awesome than yeah.
You should have seen the bubbles before they got the anti-aliasing makeover.

I meant japanese by "holy shit this is like a mecca for japanese games."

Considering that it the PSP library too, I'm positively overwhelmed by how goddamn japanese it is.

Akito

Lain

K-ON! college

Yui is the best! the best! the best!.
I had a blast reading this. I have had it for some months now and I had put reading it off to savor it.
Seeing the girls in University still brought me a lot of laughs and daaawww moments and I found the new trio they met there to add a good chemistry, especially between Akira and Yui (Akira was a better Azunyan than Azunyan could ever hope to be).
Even the older students in the music club were a good addition.

I got to thank kakifly for giving life to such a great series with such funny characters. Life wouldn't have been worth reading without your work, masta!!

bigkrev

And you haven't made a thread about it in gaming? I thought that was mandatory for all new Vita owners at this point!

And yeah, the Vita is my favorite system right now

Antiwhippy

And you haven't made a thread about it in gaming? I thought that was mandatory for all new Vita owners at this point!

And yeah, the Vita is my favorite system right now

I've never made a thread on GAF, but all the new vita owners threads are also why I didn't want to make one. :p

Can't find a Vita OT though.

bigkrev

I've never made a thread on GAF, but all the new vita owners threads are also why I didn't want to make one. :p

Can't find a Vita OT though.

I don't think there is one, just like there isn't a 3DS OT or something. The PS Network monthly threads are the closest ones.

Protips-
-Get the biggest Memory Card avalible in your country, and then consider importing a larger one. You will need it.
-The save system is complete nonsense unless you use PS Plus Cloud saves
- PS Button+Start lets your screencap- it's OS level, so it works on everything. There is the LiveTweet app that easily lets you tweet out these screencaps.
-If something like a PSP or PS1 game doesn't show up for Download on the store, download it to your PS3 and copy it over- this works for most things that don't show up
-Buy Velocity Ultra and Lumines

Antiwhippy

I don't think there is one, just like there isn't a 3DS OT or something. The PS Network monthly threads are the closest ones.

Protips-
-Get the biggest Memory Card avalible in your country, and then consider importing a larger one. You will need it.
- PS Button+Start lets your screencap- it's OS level, so it works on everything. There is the LiveTweet app that easily lets you tweet out these screencaps.
-If something like a PSP or PS1 game doesn't show up for Download on the store, download it to your PS3 and copy it over- this works for most things that don't show up

No way am I getting anything beyond the 16gig I have atm. Way too expensive, plus I only really need 3 games at any one time.

Thanks for the rest though, really useful stuff.

0/10 for me. i don't like it when people change their avatars. >:

Avatar changing is a passage of life.

That's because you post like once a year. If I kept the same pace I'd hate avatar changes too, because I won't recognize anybody after forgetting all the usernames!

You just need to keep a theme with your avatars. Then everyone will associate you with that.

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp). If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga (don't do this on Wednesday though). Most recent at top. Links to previous recommendations at bottom.

ohgosh

I actually forgot about some of the stuff I apparently read.

Neorice Avatar Brigade mustn't die.

I was too indecisive to get one. :|

Superior Vita.

Protips-

+Get Danganronpa and play itttttttttt

bigkrev

No way am I getting anything beyond the 16gig I have atm. Way too expensive, plus I only really need 3 games at any one time.

Thanks for the rest though, really useful stuff.

If you buy a bigger one, you can make your 16 gig card for different regions!

And 16 gigs might not be enough in some cases. FFX HD is 6.6 gigs, Killzone requires 4.7 gigs, and many other games are well over 3 gigs

Nordicus

Hajime no Ippo 183-199

They really kept repeating the phrase "Comeback KO!" during Date's fight, or rather, even before it started. I think that was the most apparent loss flag this match had

Ippo's date with Kumi was so cute. Also, she'd honestly only be half as interesting (if even that) if Mashiba here wasn't her big brother. He's such an interesting guy and Kumi's the only person who simply thinks he's somewhat annoying rather than unbelievably intimidating, although she is aware of her big brother's reputation

kewlmyc

Nisekoi Latest: I actually don't like this series when we have one off chapters. Bring back the mini arcs like the one we just had with Ruri.

Magi Latest: We're going to have a timeskip to when Soloman is 17? How old was he in this arc!? I though he was like 18 in this arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom