• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oricon Comic Rankings March 24th - March 30th

04. Youkai Watch #3 (98,349)
05. Kobayashi ga Kawai Sugite Tsuraii!! #6 (96,350)
06. Kagerou Days #4 (83,184)
18. Kagerou Days Official Anthology Comic -Spring- (49,758)
47. Pocket Monster Special Limited Edition #50 (25,978)
49. Youkai Watch Limited Edition #2 (25,206 / 73,221)

Man, Youkai Watch is really going to be Level 5's next big hit.

Surprised that Kobayashi series is popular.

Kagerou Days is gaining steam and woo Pokemon.

Nordicus

Molester Man

I just finished reading this whole thing in one go. All 21 chapters of it. And some of them were god damn shoujo length!

This. Is. Mah. JAM! Such a seinen romance. I am sceptical about how much of it is "based on RL events", naturally, but there were moments when this manga was rather convincing about it. It's about a 2ch poster who gets mistaken for a stalker by a paranoid girl. After clearing the misunderstanding, the girl and protagonist get to know each other and he gets introduced to her closest friends

Sometimes you just don't get the girl you initially want, sometimes a girl might puke on your bed if you have her around after a night of heavy drinking, sometimes when your relationship (or search for one) involves a group of girls who are besties with each other, things can get messy and awkward. That's life.

Molester, the protagonist, is such a fun, flawed and decently relatable character, however him reporting all his love life to 2ch and asking anonymous for advice for a lot of (imho) simple stuff really has me shaking my head at times.

A bunch of "dating sim" esque stuff happens in this story, but it is often because the protagonist nudges these things to that direction because it's territory he's far more familiar with than actual courting and dating.

And the biggest cause of drama wasn't some contrived twist, but rather clashing motivations and desires that were going to come to a head eventually, and it was never going to be quickly and cleanly sorted out.
Unless of course if Molester went "aww fuck it, I want some pussy!" and answered Loli girl's feelings without pursuing anyone else any further.
I'll give Molester props for sticking to one woman once he has his eyes on her and seems like a manageable target. He doesn't have that "being nice to everyone means being nice to no one" flaw that many other protagonists have either. At least within his mind. No matter how hot or nice a woman is, he will go "biatch, GTFO" in his thoughts if they're being annoying or seem to be in the way of his plans.

By the way, anime references galore. A huge chunk of it is JoJo, but there are other ones here and there.

oLhIBtp.jpg

It was funny, often heartwarming, managed to invoke a whole spectrum of feelings out of me*, and I just couldn't put it down. I absolutely recommend this.

GET ON IT PHILLIPCOSTIGAN! The art gets better from beginning chapters

*I let out an audible "NO!" during one of the sadder scenes near the end since it struck rather close to home

Kimi to Watashi no Renai Soudan 1

A one shot by Tosh about a guy trying to confess to the girl he likes, but chickens out (SURPRISE!) and says he confused her with another girl, which piques the curiosity of the intended girl, and results in that girl becoming a love consultant for him to confess towards the wrong girl.

Did you follow that?

Good.

S'alright for what it was.

Be lying if I said the moment she asked to become a love consultant didn't bring up those school days vibes.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kiss My Ass 1-2

Highschool boy got hemorroid. His only hope to cure rest on a girl he met.
Well, this is definitely interesting boy meet girl story.

Also, surprisingly educational

UQ Holder! 29

Bet if the arm was real he wouldn't have sliced it off.

Bet if the old man had just left peacefully he wouldn't be in this situation with his face on the ground.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kiss My Ass 1-2

Highschool boy got hemorroid. His only hope to cure rest on a girl he met.
Well, this is definitely interesting boy meet girl story.

Also, surprisingly educational

I can imagine how this is going to go based on the title and your description alone.

One Piece

Also, I'm still iffy on idea concerning Devil Fruit users abilities canceling out when they "pass out". Obviously Suger has to sleep, so why would her ability stay intact when she sleeps, versus her being knocked out? I see little difference between the two, as both are states of unconsciousness.

I just think that since her DF gives her the power to "control" other people, if she's defeated (e.g. by being knocked out) she loses the "right" to hold control over others. You remain a leader even when you are asleep, but if you faint in front of your enemy, your "army" will likely get away from you.

I like the nice touch about Kyros attacking Joker in the exact same way he did ten years earlier.

Does Rio Miyaichi qualifies as a Yandere? And I don't understand why does she
wants to kill him

This is just my guess, but maybe it's because she didn't like the fact that he can't accept her as a murderer.

Either that or because she just wants to.

That talk in the baseball chapter certainly seemed like that would be her mindset whenever she decides on someone.

And I wouldn't qualify her as a yandere until its shown that she's actually madly in love with the MC.

But then he wouldn't fulfill his purpose of being the dumb villain.

I thought that was the role of the wolf guy.

LeleSocho

Banned
Kimi to Watashi no Renai Soudan 1

A one shot by Tosh about a guy trying to confess to the girl he likes, but chickens out (SURPRISE!) and says he confused her with another girl, which piques the curiosity of the intended girl, and results in that girl becoming a love consultant for him to confess towards the wrong girl.

Did you follow that?

Good.

S'alright for what it was.

Be lying if I said the moment she asked to become a love consultant didn't bring up those school days vibes.
What a waste of 50 pages they don't even get the happy ending :/

Shuuen no Shiori 11

Why can't I hold all these yanderes.

So the last victim appears and that was pretty interesting, watching her descent into madness.

Shuuen no Shiroi 11.4-11.5

It's going to be interesting to see where they go from here since we had four victims already.

Shuuen no Shiroi 12

Uh huh, we're going to change the cycle. Oh man, even more interesting now.

Charade

This. Is. Mah. JAM! Such a seinen romance. I am sceptical about how much of it is "based on RL events", naturally, but there were moments when this manga was rather convincing about it. It's about a 2ch poster who gets mistaken for a stalker by a paranoid girl. After clearing the misunderstanding, the girl and protagonist get to know each other and he gets introduced to her closest friends

Yeah, I've never been entirely convinced by these "2ch give me advice" romances. Ultimately, I don't think it takes anything away from them though. There's actually a few others like Husky & Medley and Densha Otoko (tho I haven't read the latter, which I believe has numerous adaptations, but I've heard good things about it).

So I decided to stop reading One Piece for a few months cuz the weekly waiting and Oda's breaks were annoying. The fast ended today.

SABO!!!!

The awakening of the toys and this whole chapter reminds me of the bit in Enies Lobby/Water 7 when the strawhats realize Robin wanted to protect them by 'betraying' them and Usopp burnt the World Government's flag down. A Shit-is-going-down-NOW moment.

JDSN

Banned
One Piece 743.

Wow, Soldier pretty much carried on his attack from 10 years ago with hesitation, Doflamingo is pretty much fucked with all the Colosseum fighters under the castle. Anyone get the feeling that this is gonna escalate to levels worthy of a Buster Call? What happened with Dressrosa was basically a Gorosei-approved coup and now you have a population aware that some evil shit was done by a privateer, there are marines involved, kings and representatives of other countries and the former royal family (Which is still alive). Its just a big clusterfuck at this point.

Aizo

Banned
One Piece 743

zlcDds1.png
Thank you for posting this. Did we forget? This needs to be posted every week.
Molester Man

I just finished reading this whole thing in one go. All 21 chapters of it. And some of them were god damn shoujo length!

This. Is. Mah. JAM!
It's fucking great, isn't it? I loved that manga. Especially the cameo by Abe from Kuso Miso Technique (I was him for last Halloween). I think the only problem that I had with it was that I found the
sex scene with Kansai to be utterly unbelievable for her character. She's suddenly like, "So... sex? Right now?" I got the feeling that it must have been a part of the story originally left out by the guy writing the posts on 2chan, so the author put them in. I just really didn't think it went with her character at all. I kind of got the feeling the mangaka hadn't had an adult relationship because of how unrealistic it was.
Other than that, I loved it!

Yae no Sakura 06

Who will make Yae's heart go doki doki.

I am liking this retelling of history here. It's also just as weird since I kinda know what's going to happen from looking this up on wikipedia, lol.

Ability turning off when the user is KO but not when sleeping is really weird. I don't remember anything like it before.

I feel this is just an excuse to not have the strawhats kill a fruit user, let alone Sugar.

It happen during the FI arc with Vander Decken .
Sleeping is not the same as being unconscious .

Charade

Shimoneta toiu Gainen ga Sonzaishinai Taikutsu na Sekai 1

Now that's a premise.

Lemonade 13

This might be the slowest yuri I've read, and that's saying something.

Crime And Punishment

Such glorious despair. It's the perfect manga to read between enemy Fire Emblem turns.

EDIT:Wait this is an actual book that happened? I should read it.

Aizo

Banned
My dearest Dakku and scy,

I hope this message finds you well. Please tie for first in the Wall of Shame.

Sincerely,
Alabastre

So the Claymore raw is out, the spoilers are accurate.

TERRRREEEESSSAAAAA. :O

Pris is fucking done for.

Clearly it's Sankarea time for more dead girl moe.

Meh, Rea got really annoying after
losing her memory.
Darin's cooler than she is. Rea was great though prior to that.

Shengar

Crime And Punishment

Such glorious despair. It's the perfect manga to read between enemy Fire Emblem turns.

Woa, I don't know someone adapted Fyodor Dostoyevsky's novel into manga. Might want to check this one up.
Hope the mangaka will do Brothers Karamazov next.

Claymore Spoilers:
Teresa was inside Clare's body the entire time due to the unique way Clare was created. When Clare is in danger from an attack from Priscilla, her body changes into Teresa's (who naturally deflects the attack like it's nothing).

Man i can't wait to see more of her again don't really care how they explain it .
Teresa being back is fucking awesome .

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Everything but Josei.

Where is my josei Crime and Punishment adaptation???

Aizo

Banned
Crime And Punishment

I'm surprised that I didn't know there was a manga.
I'm more surprised that you didn't know it was a book.

Akito

Claymore Spoilers:
Teresa was inside Clare's body the entire time due to the unique way Clare was created. When Clare is in danger from an attack from Priscilla, her body changes into Teresa's (who naturally deflects the attack like it's nothing).
So basically an ass pull, got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom