• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah im fixing my jet lag bro!
tsk tsk
you should learn for Lele
d4gof11.png

I am frustrated that there is no Soma too :(

upandaway

TWGOK was in "end game" the same way Naruto is in "end game".

"End game", for manga, means another 2-3 years and 100+ chapters.
I don't know what a Naruto is but I'm really trying to understand. I went back a few pages to check out the 266 reactions. I'm really kind of lost on how everyone else are taking this.

The hard part is that I don't know if it's because of me personally or because I went through it all in one day. I think it's all fine. The escalation's fine, the pacing's fine, the resolutions are mostly fine (except for the Haqua/big sister end of things, but oh well). The progression of the last 10 chapters or so feels fine. Wouldn't have imagined it got that reaction here if I didn't see it before reading the chapters myself.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't know what a Naruto is but I'm really trying to understand. I went back a few pages to check out the 266 reactions. I'm really kind of lost on how everyone else are taking this.

The hard part is that I don't know if it's because of me personally or because I went through it all in one day. I think it's all fine. The escalation's fine, the pacing's fine, the resolutions are mostly fine (except for the Haqua/big sister end of things, but oh well). The progression of the last 10 chapters or so feels fine. Wouldn't have imagined it got that reaction here if I didn't see it before reading the chapters myself.

It feels like it needed another 5-10 chapters to wrap up the Elsee thing. Other than that it's been fine, I agree.

upandaway

Does anyone know of any good/semi-decent adult/serious manga or manga that deal with light issues in a serious way. I mean stuff like Himegoto - Juukyuusai no Seifuku, Natsu no Zenjitsu or even something lighter like Suicide Island. I really want to read something new as long as it doesn't have harems or childhood friends with unrequited love or the like. At this point I think I'd read anything with post-highschool characters as long as they don't act like kids.
It doesn't fit perfectly to what you say but I think you'd be really cozy with Space Bros, try that out. Anime or manga, both are fine.

Also Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, it has high school girls but please let that fact go and you'll like it.

Charade

I just caught up with the last 10 or so chapters last week and I would agree. Though the fact I knew it was ending may have played into that somewhat. I think most people just assumed this arc was climaxing, but not the entire manga (to dakku's point).

upandaway

TWGOK

Oh I didn't reply to dakku but I get what he's saying, still I wanna say that I understood where the story was going in the big picture even before I stopped reading a year ago (chapter 226), after he talked with the skull Dokurou and got the full laydown. If anything it was "extended" by expanding Vintage into Satyr to allow for a proper climax, not the other way around.

Nice to see that I'm not alone in this, I was starting to get stressed out a little bit.

Of course it is probably something that makes more sense when you read it all at once (like the current One Piece arc) vs. reading it weekly.

Though now I'm disappointed that we probably won't be getting Elise as the final capture.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
TWGOK

Oh I didn't reply to dakku but I get what he's saying, still I wanna say that I understood where the story was going in the big picture even before I stopped reading a year ago (chapter 226), after he talked with the skull Dokurou and got the full laydown. If anything it was "extended" by expanding Vintage into Satyr to allow for a proper climax, not the other way around.

Nice to see that I'm not alone in this, I was starting to get stressed out a little bit.

I still feel like it needed another 5 issues to get the Elsee thing in there. Otherwise I agree completely.

Charade

Does anyone know for certain how many chapters are left? I looked it up and lately there's been 11 chapters per volume, so 266 should have been the final chapter of vol. 26 (which is supposedly the last one). I guess there just gonna put more in that last volume then..

just watched the Toriko Anime finally

........just watched the Toriko Anime

.....Toriko..................Anime............................
..........Fucking TOEI

upandaway

TWGOK

I still feel like it needed another 5 issues to get the Elsee thing in there. Otherwise I agree completely.
Like most things in TWGOK, I think the Elsie thing makes a lot more sense when you think about in from the point of view of a game (not to be confused with a game's story) rather than a fluid manga. Keima says the same thing in the chapter. I think if the author had 5 more chapters, he would've just had another 5 chapters' worth of game logic, rather than try to fit the current situation into manga logic (I'd even say I suspect that's exactly what he did with the elementary school arc).
I had the same discussion back when Keima first got back in time I think, it just made total sense when I thought about the VN meta rather than the actual story at hand. That's what the whole manga was about from the beginning.

Does anyone know for certain how many chapters are left? I looked it up and lately there's been 11 chapters per volume, so 266 should have been the final chapter of vol. 26 (which is supposedly the last one). I guess there just gonna put more in that last volume then..

Actually it looks like Vol.25 mentioned that it will end in the next volume, Vol.26.

So basically, we probably have one or two chapters left unless they decide to make the last volume larger than normal or whatever.

Nordicus

Does anyone know of any good/semi-decent adult/serious manga or manga that deal with light issues in a serious way. I mean stuff like Himegoto - Juukyuusai no Seifuku, Natsu no Zenjitsu or even something lighter like Suicide Island. I really want to read something new as long as it doesn't have harems or childhood friends with unrequited love or the like. At this point I think I'd read anything with post-highschool characters as long as they don't act like kids.
I really wish I could list a whole bunch of different series, but I regretfully haven't read many that fit these criteria. I think Solanin, Honeymoon Salad (this might clash with your romance related requests a bit, can't remember), Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan and Koi Kaze are the closest I can think of from the stuff I've read

Akito

Tons of stuff by Mizu Sahara, namely Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan, Tetsugaku Letra and My Girl.
Hoshi Mamoru Inu and its sequel
5cm per Second
Bambino
Sakamichi no Apollon
Helter Skelter & River's Edge
The Lady of Udon

According to Newsmangajapon the series will end at the end of April so there may be maximum 3-4 chapters left.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
TWGOK

Like most things in TWGOK, I think the Elsie thing makes a lot more sense when you think about in from the point of view of a game (not to be confused with a game's story) rather than a fluid manga. Keima says the same thing in the chapter. I think if the author had 5 more chapters, he would've just had another 5 chapters' worth of game logic, rather than try to fit the current situation into manga logic (I'd even say I suspect that's exactly what he did with the elementary school arc).
I had the same discussion back when Keima first got back in time I think, it just made total sense when I thought about the VN meta rather than the actual story at hand. That's what the whole manga was about from the beginning.

Even saying that there has been some good foreshadowing in the series. I do see your point though, but I still feel it's a little rushed. Not a lot and not enough to ruin it, but it does feel a little similar as to how Psyren had to end. The ending makes sense in terms of the story and universe, it just feels more condensed than it normally would.

upandaway

So 2-3 if we're lucky, 1-2 are most likely.
CwhIaTW.png

I can already see the ending

Even saying that there has been some good foreshadowing in the series. I do see your point though, but I still feel it's a little rushed. Not a lot and not enough to ruin it, but it does feel a little similar as to how Psyren had to end. The ending makes sense in terms of the story and universe, it just feels more condensed than it normally would.
I'll only be able to agree or disagree when the final chapter is in front of me, I think. It's kind of hard for me to say anything because deep down I just don't trust that it will or won't be whatever I have in mind in terms of satisfaction and detail, especially when we don't even know how many chapters are left exactly, or there could be a bonus chapter like it's been popular lately with some Jump series, I don't know.

Stealth Symphony 07

Vampires, ninjas and supportive wolf mechas.

I guess it's cool to see the main protag already showing some resolve.

Naruto

The Sage of the Sixth Paths had a brother.... not only that but his bro sealed the other half of the juubi in him

So... where they hell is he?

Charade

The Last Supper by Ohtake Masao

At a murder scene, a rookie detective gets paired up with two senior ones who have an unusual method of solving crimes. Hilarity ensues. This would actually make a pretty good series.

kasane

The Last Supper by Ohtake Masao

At a murder scene, a rookie detective gets paired up with two senior ones who have an unusual method of solving crimes. Hilarity ensues. This would actually make a pretty good series.

I thought he was eating the curry the victim was eating

upandaway

Nah,
if he eats something that belonged to the victim, he can see the last meal they ate.
Very useful for crime-solving
Extremely so. If I had that power, I could use it to solve crimes such as who ate my pineapple cake, who ate my ice coffee, or who ate my half-eaten watermelon that I left because it tasted bad.

scy

Akame ga Kill! 47

He's going to fail protecting that smile.

Kurome can't die until Zero finishes.

That's what I keep telling myself.

I... uh, um, well. I can't say noticed any rush. Things have been climaxing ever since like chapter 248. And it was known from the start that things will enter endgame when he finishes with the past. I.... can't say I understand this, man.

Maybe. I dunno. Maybe it was just the expectation of things not ending entirely with this arc, though maybe we really should have as it kept going and going and going.

Kieli

Soma capturing Alice's affections could actually spur that tsundere's attention (I forgot her name). At first, she'll be annoyed that Soma is paying more attention to Alice than her, and then it'll turn into jealously... and then she realizes her true feelings....

And all the Tadokoro fans in the world will cry.

scy

Stealth Symphony 7 - I like Alice's normal form. So I guess RIP Alice soon.

Also, "His hobby is seeing people despair with his own eyes." welp

Soma capturing Alice's affections could actually spur that tsundere's attention (I forgot her name). At first, she'll be annoyed that Soma is paying more attention to Alice than her, and then it'll turn into jealously... and then she realizes her true feelings....

And all the Tadokoro fans in the world will cry.

You're a good person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom