• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasane

god damn it

Kono Oto Tomare? Did you read that?

Sousei no Onmyouji 1-3
You know, I was expecting great things from this girl, especially after this:

But no, she just has a personality shift into a typical tsundere. It's pretty mediocre so far. I guess the good thing about this is that there is no ambiguity in the romantic relationship, but really, I can honestly give less than a shit at this point. It's not compelling in the least.

read it already XD

pls update mashiro no oto :X

scy

I thought you liked suffering?

The series handles some difficult themes (self-hatred, child abuse) and it does that by using a broken character like Michiru, though it is still a series about figure skating at its root, with everything that entails.

I really thought it was a good manga. Not a 10/10, but surely an 8, thanks to how it handled such themes, the way it ended and also because the characters in the story are all a bit flawed yet interesting, making it feel quite realistic. I even ended up liking Hikaru (the dude Michiru slept with and that pissed off our good face-stealing Kasane) by the time the series ended.

:lol

Well, maybe. Depends on how it's done.

Great, I'm getting roped into this I guess.

RIP laptop. Long live the laptop.

Paperweight Eye 1
Rt3CW1Q.jpg
That depends on where you'll be sticking those fingers.

A shy doll-maker has her entire collection inexplicably brought to life by a mysterious young man, who then imprisons her in a gothic mansion and tasks her with creating 'inhabitants' for his own warped little world. Premise is interesting enough, and the first chapter hints at there being a slightly twisted undertone to the story. Looks like the final chapter(s)'ll be released shortly (it's only 2 volumes long) so I'll shelve it until then.

Ludwig Gensoukyoku 1
Holy shit, a Ludwig Revolution followup! Someone get me a direct line to gunbo's office. For the uninitiated, the original was a highly enjoyable shoujo series about a decadent corpse collector who toured the land encountering various fairy tale waifus.

Well, that's an interesting looking girl.
Still debating whether I find those hands arousing or not.

Nordicus

Paperweight Eye 9

Well, that flashback cleared up a few things. Also, I do hope Marie never falls in love with Kahrel. He has quite the god complex, and while he saved Marie's life once, it's because she's useful to him. He'd obviously not let the creator of his new world die because of one jealous doll
Still debating whether I find those hands arousing or not.
Consider that her hands might be like that because of how lonely, painful and filled with self-loathing Marie's love life is

She cries when she masturbates
damn. I got my trashy harem fix so now I need my adorable couple fix.
Bonnouji, or Houkago Play perhaps?

Lain

Anyone able to tell me what happened to Seven Seas' edition of Angel Para Bellum or, more specifically, volume 3?

Also, I want to reiterate my hate for the way yenpress handled the onomatopoeia for Not Popular.

Charade

Anyone able to tell me what happened to Seven Seas' edition of Angel Para Bellum or, more specifically, volume 3?

Found this on their tumblr faq:

Q: What happened with Angel Para Bellum?

A: Unfortunately, the publisher (SoftBank Creative) recently underwent some changes and shifts within the company itself. Those changes now stand that they are not currently allowing any overseas licensing (not just us, but France, Spain and Italy don’t have access either). Not sure when, if ever, we’ll be able to renew our contract on the series.

Kiriwo Terrible 1
Like Attack on Titan. Except not. The world's being terrorised by oversized monsters, and the MC fights them by transforming into one using a super special serum. He's aiming to be a hero, but unfortunately the sheer level of destruction he (inadvertently) causes means that everyone sees him as just another villainous monster. First chapter was goofy and entertaining enough that I'm curious to see where this goes, not least for the prospect of the eventual showdown with his sis (?).

Consider that her hands might be like that because of how lonely, painful and filled with self-loathing Marie's love life is

She cries when she masturbates
If that turns out to be the case then my answer's now pretty obvious:

Q2xjRUP.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma 65

How many times is Soma going to bust out that shit where he tells his opponent they don't understand the target audience of some dish?

Charade

Thanks for the info, though it's pretty disappointing.
It sounds a lot like the Holp Shuppan deal, which took away Break Blade. Some Japanese publisher are really giant assholes.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any good reason for it.

Soma 65

That flashback was really sweet.

Shokugeki no Soma 65

d'awwww that flashback was really sweet. Guess next week we're going to see how he used the candy.

Tonari no Kashiwagi-san 1-22

Just started reading this on a whim. I /think/ it's good, maybe, but I dunno. At least it's cute anyway and I read like 22 chapters in a row so i guess it must be good?

Kashiwagi's friend is hilarious too. It's all pretty adorable if a little dumb.

upandaway

Shokugeki no Soma

Aww that flashback. 3 chapters per fight seems to be the format then.

Soma may say that but the judges definitely liked Alice's dish, including how extravagant it was. If they like his more because it pulls off the homely feel better that's a different matter.

If Soma wins it with this attitude I'll be surprised. I was expecting something closer in level.

Fuuka 9-10
It's really just Fuuka pulling those two along. The supposed MC would feel insignificant if it weren't for the friendship with that idol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Shokugeki no Soma

Aww that flashback. 3 chapters per fight seems to be the format then.

Soma may say that but the judges definitely liked Alice's dish, including how extravagant it was. If they like his more because it pulls off the homely feel better that's a different matter.

If Soma wins it with this attitude I'll be surprised. I was expecting something closer in level.

It's pretty obvious that he's also doing something experimental/outrageous judging by the last panel. Doubt he's going just by homeliness, though his outrageousness might also involve that as a theme.

upandaway

It's pretty obvious that he's also doing something experimental/outrageous judging by the last panel. Doubt he's going just by homeliness, though his outrageousness might also involve that as a theme.
Yeah but I mean the general attitude, whatever he did to the rice, still kinda comes off like he beat Alice more easily than what he had with Hayama. It's too soon to say this, I'm just calling a what if.

Antiwhippy

Yeah but I mean the general attitude, whatever he did to the rice, still kinda comes off like he beat Alice more easily than what he had with Hayama. It's too soon to say this, I'm just calling a what if.

I feel like this is going to be a running theme whenever alice is in the equation as a rival, where they will say that she is technically superior but lacking "spiritually". Which isn't the point of molecular gastronomy but whatever.

Was it explained how Alice would keep her dish warm/fresh if eaten half a day later? I imagine Soma could win on technicality because her meal wasn't made to be eaten hours later. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls our a "those are dishes I made hours ago, the ones I cooked on the floor are here" to prove his point

Shokugeki no Soma 65

Adorable flash back and overall good chaptee, next chapter I imagine will be the end of his dish and a cliff hanger to the winner.

Haikyuu!! 102

Wow that 201cm player is pretty aggravating of an opponent for them. Though he's pretty inexperienced so speed or just skills should give Karasuno the winning edge I bet.

--

Also first episode was incredible.
tumblr_n3lxz6T8g31s02dsmo1_500.gif

upandaway

Shokugeki no Soma
I feel like this is going to be a running theme whenever alice is in the equation as a rival, where they will say that she is technically superior but lacking "spiritually". Which isn't the point of molecular gastronomy but whatever.
I gotcha. Could be okay but just as a one-off, I guess.

Was it explained how Alice would keep her dish warm/fresh if eaten half a day later? I imagine Soma could win on technicality because her meal wasn't made to be eaten hours later. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls our a "those are dishes I made hours ago, the ones I cooked on the floor are here" to prove his point.
I think the thing was the nitrogen or whatever it's called that let off the mist, that it could keep the dish cool for hours.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Soma

Just my opinion what I really like about Soma's over Alice's bento is just Soma's is so much easier to eat it feels like. Obviously I'm not a bento eater but having all those different sections and eating them in a certain order is not what I like.

upandaway

For anyone that saw both, what would you say about the difference between the Akuma no Riddle anime and manga? I saw the episode and it felt a bit weird. Maybe the manga's better or something.

dramatis

My feeling about Alice, when she makes dishes, it's all about herself and her superiority rather than the customer. I wouldn't call it lacking spiritually, just that she's the type who is in cooking for her own pride. That's why her dishes are so splashy, but lacks the kind of homeliness you find in Tadokoro's stuff or even in the meatiness of Nikumi's stuff. Nikumi's like TASTE THIS GODDAMN MEAT IT'S GLORIOUS and she sort of wants to share that with the person who will eat her dishes.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, I think that's probably how Soma will ultimately win in the end. His competition with his dad before the tournament does indicate that thinking about what the person wants is an important element in this tournament.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Soma
aww, dat grandma. The actual food detail is lost on me, 'cos I'm not versed in Japanese cooking, but that's alright because it's not like I'm reading this manga for the food anyway. Can't wait 'til we see who wins.

Tonari no Kashiwagi-san 1-22[/B]

Just started reading this on a whim. I /think/ it's good, maybe, but I dunno. At least it's cute anyway and I read like 22 chapters in a row so i guess it must be good?

Kashiwagi's friend is hilarious too. It's all pretty adorable if a little dumb.

Just wait for the beta couple to come in and steal the show in adorable they are.

scy

Yeah, Kashiwagi-san at this point is more about looking for the second couple to do stuff while the main couple puts off getting together for the 248565th time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom