• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 is still one of the best super hero movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't like it very much. It was entertaining, but I thought the casting was very meh. Toby McGuire and Kirsten Dunst have 0 chemistry, both of them were bad for their parts in my opinion. The writing is also really hokey to me, like the scene where spidey gets unmasked on the subway and the little kid is like "we no tell nobody!" "If you gonna get through him you gotta get through me! and me! and me!"

It was fun, but overrated.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Watched it again just now an it's still magnificent. A movie worthy as my #1 personal best superhero flick (sorry Avengers fans, but that movie was so average and by the numbers, especially in comparison to Spidey 2).

Alson does anyone have a picture of Ditkovitch pulling that face when he says he has ears like a rodent?

Peter Parker outgrew his dork and awkward phase a long time ago. The "good old Parker luck" has been thing in the comic books even today but I wonder what kind of comic books you are reading. Becoming Spidey made Peter come out of his shell as he grew older. Her Spidey persona is still different from when he is without the mask.

The writers of Raimi's Spidey and Tobey failed to do justice to any of this.

Seriously I want to ask people who think Peter is this perennial dork, what kind of comic books are you reading?

I am reading? How about none? I read them when I was a kid. Peter Parker was never the cool guy. If you are comparing origins stories in these movies to whatever the fuck Peter Parker is in the comics of today after decades of fighting villains, who gives a shit?

And Tobey's Parker did evolve. It's as if you didn't watch the movies. Obviously he's not supposed to become Tony Stark.

Chunky

The Iron Man films broke the Marvel trend of the second movie eclipsing the first. It is sad really.

We went from X-Men to X2. Spider-Man to Spider-Man 2. Those were both big leaps in quality over the originals (which were great in their own right). The thought of Iron Man 2 eclipsing Iron Man in quality had me so excited, but sadly it took a few steps backward. Not bed shitting like many on here feel, but still a step back. Hopefully Iron Man 3 reverses the trend of Marvel threequels.

Wait, I've been reading a thread from last year?! Fuck...

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I am reading? How about none? I read them when I was a kid. Peter Parker was never the cool guy. If you are comparing origins stories in these movies to whatever the fuck Peter Parker is in the comics of today after decades of fighting villains, who gives a shit?

And Tobey's Parker did evolve. It's as if you didn't watch the movies. Obviously he's not supposed to become Tony Stark.

he grows out of his dork phase pretty quickly. noone says he'll be a lothario, but but hes quite a social butterfly, with quite a few women after both his super hero and civilian identities

Nesotenso

rather than decades of comics try like the first fifty issues.

Tobey evolved? by crying like a bitch in the 3rd movie. Peter is not Stark but he isn't doofus either.

and the reading none part was clear enough with your stupid assertions of what Parker is like.

if reading comics is too much of an ask for most people and they are simply not interested fine.

Just youtube clips of the Spectacular Spiderman cartoon ( or better yet watch the entire series)

you will get an idea of what Peter is like

Soodanim

Gold Member
I could read this thread all day and still not truly understand why people think SM2 is the GOAT. Maybe it's because I basically don't have emotion when it comes to movies, so none of the emotional crap means anything to me. I definitely don't like Tobey's acting. Or Dunst's.

Sorry guys, Avengers tops this. But Earth's Mightiest Heroes tops that, because live action isn't ever going to beat animation. That may seem off topic, but it gives some insight into what I want from Marvel/DC stuff.

Spinluck

I could read this thread all day and still not truly understand why people think SM2 is the GOAT. Maybe it's because I basically don't have emotion when it comes to movies, so none of the emotional crap means anything to me. I definitely don't like Tobey's acting. Or Dunst's.

Sorry guys, Avengers tops this. But Earth's Mightiest Heroes tops that, because live action isn't ever going to beat animation. That may seem off topic, but it gives some insight into what I want from Marvel/DC stuff.

I want an animated Spider-Man film. It would obviously be straight to video, but that didn't stop some of the DC ones from being brilliant.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I want an animated Spider-Man film. It would obviously be straight to video, but that didn't stop some of the DC ones from being brilliant.

thats one thing i definetely want. marvel to step up its animation department. dc has set one hell of a precedent on that front. if they could somehow oust loeb, they could do great things

Jimothy

I just saw Captain America tonight and couldn't help but think on the way out how Spider-Man 2 will never be topped. Cap 2 has good fight scenes but they get sort of nauseating after a while. You can only watch so many bone-crushing haymakers, fake looking explosions, and enemy henchmen unloading hundreds of bullets at our heroes without hitting jack shit before your eyes start to glaze over. Cap 2 just feels so grim and lifeless whereas you can tell Spidey 2 was made by people who actually have empathy for their fellow human beings. The Raindrops montage pretty much perfectly encapsulates what makes Spider-Man 2 so goddamn good. You never see Steve Rogers, Bruce Wayne, or Clark Kent as completely vulnerable and totally human as Peter appears in the montage. The only other director who rivals Raimi in terms of portraying superheroes as people with actual emotions is Singer with X2.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Also does anyone have a picture of Ditkovitch pulling that face when he says he has ears like a rodent?
FOUND IT!

5013099+_d9fd92b269a7c1abb7c3cc0a4ad3c054.jpg

Just saw this for the first time because of this thread.

I definitely think it holds up pretty well. I don't quite like the direction they went in, but I think they pulled off what they were going for. It's well made and a solid movie over all.

While I'm not opposed to Sony making these movies, I sure would love to see Marvel get Spidey back.

Minion101

Banned
Just saw this for the first time because of this thread.

I definitely think it holds up pretty well. I don't quite like the direction they went in, but I think they pulled off what they were going for. It's well made and a solid movie over all.

While I'm not opposed to Sony making these movies, I sure would love to see Marvel get Spidey back.

Competition is probably better for the quality of the movies. Even if it means no Spider Man or Wolverine in the the Avengers.

TWILT

Banned
Yep, still my favorite too. Gave it a rewatch a few weeks ago and still loved it. Has a lot of memorable moments and I loved Tobey as Peter/Spidey. Molina as Doc Ock was fantastic as well.

Still love that raindrops scene too :p

NinjaBoiX

The editing in this scene is a joke. The fight just warps from one side of the carriage to the other depending on what will look most dramatic. They're fighting on the platform side, so they can fly past a load of scared commuters, then instantly they're on the other side with a train coming the other way. Lame.

The end of the scene is pretty good, but the fight is a mess.

The editing in this scene is a joke. The fight just warps from one side of the carriage to the other depending on what will look most dramatic. They're fighting on the platform side, so they can fly past a load of scared commuters, then instantly they're on the other side with a train coming the other way. Lame.

The end of the scene is pretty good, but the fight is a mess.

No one is saying the editing is perfect. In fact, these movies are filled with little editing mistakes. Doesn't ruin them though.

Yes, Spider-Man 2 was the last super hero movie that I really loved (even considering its flaws).

Don't get me wrong, it's not like after that, all the others super hero movies sucked -except for Captain America that was really a piece of shit-, but none of them were nearly as great.

The fight on the subway is one of the most epic battle ever. The first time I watched that part I was the whole time with my fists ready to punch someone :p

I love the train fight sequence, but one thing always annoyed me. Doc Ock doesn't have any powers apart from the mechanical arms, right? How does he take all those spiderman punches to the face like its nothing?

Toa TAK

Banned
I love the train fight sequence, but one thing always annoyed me. Doc Ock doesn't have any powers apart from the mechanical arms, right? How does he take all those spiderman punches to the face like its nothing?

Spider-Man is a pretty nice guy, he always holds back.

If he didn't, he'd probably punch out some dude's jaw. Like the Scorpion's.

Just gave Spider-Man 2 another watch and yeh, it's still fricking amazing. Funnily enough, one thing that I noticed once more is just how god damn good Tobey's screams / screaming faces are. Whether you like him or not, damn if he can't put on some fantastic facial expressions.

SM1/2 are the perfect cheesy superhero movie for me. I'm not even a fan of cheesy usually but the execution with these two was just so darn well. Something that matters a lot is the audience's ability to empathize with the characters and boy do they do a good job in SM2 in particular. Even though the movie may be very cheesy overall, the problems of Peter and the pressing issues feel real. When Peter tells aunt May what he did on the night of uncle Ben's death it really does feel like he's darn sorry for not being able to tell that earlier and ashamed for the entire affair in the first place.

I'm tired and need to get some sleep so I won't keep raving on just now but damn, the movie is really good. The practical effect usage for Doc. Oct really payed off by the way. Over the years it has become so easy for me to spot (and get annoyed by) out of place looking CGI and it's a shame when e.g. that Fusion core looks like a blurry mess in the 1080p version. So I'm glad they decided to do a lot with practical effects. And I'm actually completely for CGI in theory. But it needs to be really, really high quality which is expensive, time consuming and just not s.th you're going to get a lot of if you require many scenes using it.

I'm gonna write a bit more tomorrow.

I feel since 2008 TDK has stolen some of Spidey 2 shine in these "best comic book movies" talks, but I still feel the first two films(and the Avengers, I suppose for a recent example) were the most effective comic book films to capture that joyful high-energy, pulpy effervescence of Stan Lee's superhero comics. All bright pop colors and playfully obnoxious attitude and simple situations laden with the sorts of emotional trials a 12-year-old could easily grasp. So fun to watch that whatever flaws or imperfections the first two films pick up along the way, you kinda handwave it away, "oh, it doesn't matter!"

I feel since 2008 TDK has stolen some of Spidey 2 shine in these "best comic book movies" talks, but I still feel the first two films(and the Avengers, I suppose for a recent example) were the most effective comic book films to capture that joyful high-energy, pulpy effervescence of Stan Lee's superhero comics. All bright pop colors and playfully obnoxious attitude and simple situations laden with the sorts of emotional trials a 12-year-old could easily grasp. So fun to watch that whatever flaws or imperfections the first two films pick up along the way, you kinda handwave it away, "oh, it doesn't matter!"

Well, they're two very different movies, as they should be. I personally prefer Spider-man 2 because I cared about the characters way more. What happens with Rachel did nothing for me, and it probably should have. I couldn't sympathize along with Bruce and that was a huge problem. Spider-man 2, despite not having any notable deaths, still packs a far more emotional and satisfying punch to me with scenes such as Peter informing May of what happened surrounding Ben's death, and how Peter fights tooth and claw to stop that train.

The Dark Knight doesn't really have anything like that for me. It's a fantastic movie that I feel falls apart in its last 20 minutes or so, but mostly everything before that was just fucking ace. However, I just saw it as a relatively emotionless film saved by its performances, mood, and direction. The big chase sequence in the middle of the film was fun, but I felt no tension or emotional stakes at play. It was a nice, exciting action scene but it didn't really excel beyond that. That's okay, it's just why I prefer stuff like the train sequence in Spider-man 2.

While the style is considerably different and more light-hearted, it is completely obsessed with making it an actual element of Peter's character arc, so in addition to the thrilling action it climaxed with the notion that Peter made the right decision to keep being Spider-man as it would have resulted in a lot of casualties otherwise. And almost the damn near entirety of Spider-man 2 is made up of scenes that contribute something to the story and character development. The screenplay is meticulously calculated.

I also love that its clearly Sam Raimi movies. Everybody mentions that great operation scene, but he's got a lot of his trademark horror/ b-movie imagery on display. Ock's wife reflected in the shard of glass that's about to kill her; or the low tracking shots and quick, jerking camera movements, the steel cage match with Bruce Campbell as the announcer, everything about Dafoe's performance that switches between smart businessman and emotionally absent father, the terrified paranoid you feel a bit sorry for, and the big bad monster who plays everything to the rafters. Like, he's got that big dumb plastica shell mask, so Dafoe has to do eeeeverything with his eyes and his teeth("But now that you've really PISSED ME OFF, I'm gonna finish her nice...and...slow."), and its such a perfect fit for the poppy comic book fun the movie is.

Minion101

Banned
I decided to re watch Spiderman 3 action scenes and was surprised by the cheese just in those scenes. Felt more like a kids movie then I remember. Maybe I've grown up.

Mentioned this in the ASM2 thread
Anyone see the behind the scenes of the suit design?
Holy shit does it seem more tedious than you would ever expect, especially for a sequel suit not that much different from the first.

Spinluck

I've seem them, and about every behind scenes stuff released for all the Spider-Man movies. Not sure if I should be ashamed or not lol.

The Raimi sure is pretty impressive, it was expensive as hell too. I think someone stole one off the set of Spider-Man 2.

Blader

I don't know if Raimi's Spider-Man films are really THAT playful and poppy. They're more colorful or whatever than Nolan's Batman, but they have more than their fair share of mopey characters and depressive moments.

The Marvel Studios movies, both the good and bad ones, are easily the most comic book-y of these films, for better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom