• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new look at Venom in Marvel's Spider-Man 2 revealed via Entertainment

Draugoth

Gold Member
F1aYaXbWwAAS-md

Casting Venom for Marvel's Spider-Man 2 proved to be freakier than the character himself for Bryan Intihar, senior creative director at Insomniac Games. It was "one of the things I was avoiding for as long as possible, because I was so scared of who we were going to get to do the voice," he tells EW. Despite having spearheaded one of the most popular blockbuster video games of the past decade — the previous Spidey game of 2018 that sold 33 million copies as of June 2022 — Intihar acknowledges, "We knew it would be so anticipated and people would have a lot of opinions on it." Enter Tony Todd, the actor of stage and screen, known for The Crow, The Rock, The Man From Earth, and, of course, for portraying the horror icon known as Candyman. While looking to cast the Venom role in the highly anticipated sequel, which brings Peter Parker (voiced by Yuri Lowenthal) and Miles Morales (Nadji Jeter) together again with Mary Jane Watson (Laura Bailey), Intihar heard a few lines of Todd's deep, growling voice in the trailer for 2021's Candyman. It just so happened that Todd had also submitted an audition tape for Marvel's Spider-Man 2.

"Everything we talked about [with] Venom — that sense of strength, that sense of fear, that sense of overwhelming, so different from Peter — Tony embraces that completely in the performance," Intihar says. EW can exclusively reveal a new look at Venom in Marvel's Spider-Man 2, which will be available on Oct. 20 by way of the PlayStation 5 console. Before Intihar heads to San Diego Comic-Con to promote the title on the Hall H grand stage with senior narrative director Jon Paquette and senior art director Jacinda Chew, all three spoke with EW about creating a unique take on the classic villain of Marvel comics.

"It's really interesting when you start thinking about what makes him different than Spider-Man," Chew says. "The symbiote is often known as an allegory for the darkness that the host is fighting against. So what makes him an anti-Spider-Man?"

It began with the post-credits scene at the end of the first game. After players worked their way through the story of Peter Parker's battles against a Doc Ock-led Sinister Six, while guiding the young Miles as he becomes a web-slinger of his own, they found a short sequence involving Peter's bestie, Harry Osborn. Harry was absent for the events of Marvel's Spider-Man, but as Peter and MJ learn through expert sleuthing, he's been secretly undergoing an experimental medical procedure in the hopes of curing him of Oshtoran Syndrome, an illness that claimed his mother's life years earlier. The post-credits scene reveals Harry has been in a stasis chamber in a secret lab in father Norman Osborn's home, and a symbiote — the alien species — is part of this mystery procedure.

Intihar and Paquette are clear fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which popularized the use of post-credits scenes. A separate mid-credits sequence featured Miles revealing his newfound Spidey powers in front of Peter, a moment that segued directly into Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, the 2020 spin-off game centered on the fledgling hero. The Harry and symbiote scene would then serve a similar function to set the stage for Marvel's Spider-Man 2.

"We wanted to try something very different, and I don't think you can get much more different from Doc Ock than you do Venom," Intihar explains. "It's about power, it's about strength, it's about being slighted, it's about Peter being involved much more in the creation of Venom. I think that's what attracted us."

Last edited:

skit_data

They should have showcased the game in a rainy night setting, look how much better it looks. Jurassic Park showed how to do it 30 years ago, that's how to do it. Not like Halo Infinite did it, the lighting looks all flat.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
There's nothing special about this model's detail, it's ordinary if not sub standard, I dunno what people are cumming over. Weird. The rain doesn't do much in the shot either, for that to work its magic you need a wide view with the reflections and lighting effects all over wet surfaces, not a close up.

Last edited:

GymWolf

There's nothing special about this model's detail, it's ordinary if not sub standard, I dunno what people are cumming over. Weird. The rain doesn't do much in the shot either, for that to work its magic you need a wide view with the reflections and lighting effects all over wet surfaces, not a close up.
It looks kinda plasticky.

People are probably praising the art design.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But it still looks crappy? idk.
The top teeth look flat too. It's kidna strange.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeM

Venom- my favourite marvel character. If they make some baller super duper edition with a high end figuring of venom, they have me. Money is no option.

Arachnid

I'm so tired of Venom. Dude already stars in two of the best Spidey video games. Should have been Goblin. To make matters worse, Venom isn't even Brock. It's Harry, which is stupid. Whats the point of adapting a character if you're not really gonna adapt them? May as well make Aunt May Dock Ock.

Hopefully I at least get GOAT Carnage at some point this game.

That said, cool looking Venom. They got his design down.

Reminds me I need to play Miles soon.
Waste of time IMO. I played it recently and genuinely didn't enjoy anything other than the swinging.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I'm so tired of Venom. Dude already stars in two of the best Spidey video games. Should have been Goblin. To make matters worse, Venom isn't even Brock. It's Harry, which is stupid. Whats the point of adapting a character if you're not really gonna adapt them? May as well make Aunt May Dock Ock.

Hopefully I at least get GOAT Carnage at some point this game.

That said, cool looking Venom. They got his design down.

Waste of time IMO. I played it recently and genuinely didn't enjoy anything other than the swinging.
I love the design but yeah. Not having him be Eddy feels so lame. Maybe there will be some kind of twist in which Harry loses the symbiote to Eddy and that causes him to become a Goblin due to the withdrawals? Or something?

Raonak

Banned
Looks great.

I also don't care about Eddy Brock in the slightest. I like the change to make it harry because we actually get a connection with the guy the simbioite has infected.

Top Bottom