• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Just finished Year Walk and thought I would give some impressions for those on GAF.

Year-Walk_logo.jpg

What a surreal experience.

Year Walk can essentially be described as a classic adventure game played in first peson. You move around the forest as you go on your 'Year Walk' and slowly piece together the puzzles and obscure story. It won the iOS GOTY award last year from many publications and I can easily see why it deserves the accolades.

Year Walk is heavily based on Finnish Swedish folklore and has an amazing art style. You will run into all kinds of creepy demons throughout your adventure. The game does have a few jump scares, but, overall, is more unsettling than scary.
I would mention that I found the atmosphere quite breathtaking. The mood is set by the oppressive musical backdrop that never distracts as you crunch your way through the snow of the forest.

The puzzles are where I really dove into the game. I assembled a full piece of paper covered with drawings, notes, and clues over the course of my travels. There is an in-game map, encyclopedia, and hint system to help you through the game and learn about the Swedish background.

The game is quite short, your first play through should take you about forty five minutes to an hour and a half depending on how quickly things click for you. Multiple play through are encouraged and, in fact, half of the story and the true ending are hidden away in subsequent play. The method of unlocking that ending and reading through the story is quite the ride.

It is unfortunate as the game has been looked over on Steam entirely. Possibly due to the stream of trash that has been coming down as part of Valve's policies lately. I hope that it gets some more attention going forward as it is a great title.

Z1AmkwM.png

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Year Walk and thought I would give some impressions for those on GAF.

It is unfortunate as the game has been looked over on Steam entirely. Possibly due to the stream of trash that has been coming down as part of Valve's policies lately. I hope that it gets some more attention going forward as it is a great title.

It's definitely on my list of things to buy. I'm just waiting for a sale. A sale that will take my wallet far away.

Grief.exe

Also unfortunate when people spoil bits of it too.

Are you referring to me? Or just in general?

I tried to keep my review as spoiler free as possible, and the screenshots are all from the start of the game.

It's definitely on my list of things to buy. I'm just waiting for a sale. A sale that will take my wallet far away.

The other positive aspect of the game I forget to cover, it is only $5.99!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269050/

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Good impressions, though I found it to be merely atmospheric and nothing else. None of the puzzles required any thought save for
the new game plus one
and other than the one jump scare (which made zero sense at all) it never evoked much of anything out of me. The puzzles also suffered from lack of true creativity compared to the iOS original which used the machine's unique aspects to the game's advantage. Worth it for the soundtrack on a sale but I really can't suggest it otherwise.

This has been a thisisneogaf.gif moment, brought to you by SteamThread™

Volcynika

Are you referring to me? Or just in general?

I tried to keep my review as spoiler free as possible, and the screenshots are all from the start of the game.

Posted earlier when you referenced certain (and even the count) of certain kinds of events in the game. Stuff like that gets on my nerves when I know what and how much of something to expect.

dreamfall

I backed Wishnowski, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I also paid for the Pro Wrestling X:Uprising beta, and it felt largely neglected. More of a tech demo than anything. I like that he's aiming to revitalize the classic AKI control scheme, but we shall see! His wrestling newsletter is always a nice update, and I'm hoping for the best.

In the meantime, PCSX2 is filling that void!

Grief.exe

Posted earlier when you referenced certain (and even the count) of certain kinds of events in the game. Stuff like that gets on my nerves when I know what and how much of something to expect.

The amount of jump scares I posted earlier in the thread? I apologize for that, did not think it was a big deal. Certainly should not overtly effect the overall experience.

For those specific scares it is more about the overall journey than the knowledge they exist. They are surprising and the effect is certainly lasting, even on my third play through when I knew they were coming.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I just want more good games with bow and arrow as viable, sometimes the best, weapon option. Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Last Of Us, Tomb Raider, etc are all nice, but I still want more now that developers have learned not to just make it a simple replacement for a gun (silly Turok games).

As for Arrow? I still have a dream of what Tomb Raider reboot should have been, a survival island game has a set amount of enemies and it's a proper hunting experience (being hunted or hunting them) with options not to engage or use traps.

Grief.exe

I just want more good games with bow and arrow as viable, sometimes the best, weapon option. Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Last Of Us, Tomb Raider, etc are all nice, but I still want more now that developers have learned not to just make it a simple replacement for a gun (silly Turok games).

As for Arrow? I still have a dream of what Tomb Raider reboot should have been, a survival island game has a set amount of enemies and it's a proper hunting experience (being hunted or hunting them) with options not to engage or use traps.

Betrayer

Miker

Thanks for that, just added it to my wishlist.

Also, should I finish up Resident Evil 6 (I'm about halfway done) or start Dead Space?

Do you like what you played of RE6 so far? If so, then go ahead and finish it. It has some neat moments towards the end, and generally gets better the more you play and understand the mechanics. If you don't like it, give Mercenaries a shot and see if that changes your mind about the game. It did for me - I disliked the campaign, but then I put 40+ hours into Mercs, and now you'll find me defending RE6 whenever it's mentioned (like now!).

As for Dead Space, I know it has a lot of fans, but I found it dull. Great atmosphere, but (imo) really shitty encounter design. Go there, fix this, on the way blast these things in groups of 4 or 5. I played about half of it and felt like it wasn't really escalating at all. Kind of a one-note experience. In, say, RE4, every action sequence feels perfectly balanced, but in Dead Space, enemies felt like obstacles on your way to the next (boring) objective. I hear the sequel ratchets up the setpieces and variety though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anybody here interested in splitting a Strike Vector four-pack? I can get one for $5.05 per head. It's just me at the moment so I need three like-minded individuals.

Do you like what you played of RE6 so far? If so, then go ahead and finish it. It has some neat moments towards the end, and generally gets better the more you play and understand the mechanics. If you don't like it, give Mercenaries a shot and see if that changes your mind about the game. It did for me - I disliked the campaign, but then I put 40+ hours into Mercs, and now you'll find me defending RE6 whenever it's mentioned (like now!).

As for Dead Space, I know it has a lot of fans, but I found it dull. Great atmosphere, but (imo) really shitty encounter design. Go there, fix this, on the way blast these things in groups of 4 or 5. I played about half of it and felt like it wasn't really escalating at all. Kind of a one-note experience. In, say, RE4, every action sequence feels perfectly balanced, but in Dead Space, enemies felt like obstacles on your way to the next (boring) objective. I hear the sequel ratchets up the setpieces and variety though.

Finish up RE 6, but make sure to always dive and aim for the knees.

Always.

Thanks, RE6 it is.

Created an Occultist in Grim Dawn, there's definitely only one character model per sex and, so far, Occultist is a lot more fun than the Soldier class. Although I noticed that Grim Dawn doesn't automatically populate you active skill keys when you learn a new active ability, you have to add them yourself. Perhaps I had at least one active ability for my soldier.

Disappointingly, the world in Grim Dawn looks like it's pretty much static. Kinda kills the heavy replay value for me.

Do you like what you played of RE6 so far? If so, then go ahead and finish it. It has some neat moments towards the end, and generally gets better the more you play and understand the mechanics
I can confirm RE6 has some cool moment towards the end.
http://a.pomf.se/pmdxzd.webm

I'm playing through RE6 right now and the fact that I get to tackle that giant B.O.W. as Sherry, who is pretty timid in cutscenes, is hilarious to me, such a great moment.

Sherry is a bad-ass.

JaseC

Amazon.co.uk keep pestering me about it with a price of £21.85 which is about R$80. I'm sure somewhere like GMG, GamersGate or GetGames will try and get close to it. Though it's looking like it's going to plummet in price pretty quickly though don't know about any exclusive preorder goodies you might be after.

Pre-orders come with some sort of guide. Nuuvem's page makes no mention of this, though.

I know this is totally off-topic, but why's Saoirse doing the Scarjo sexyface in your current avatar pic?

image.php

Not that I have a problem with that or anything! It's just an unusual pose to see her in.

For science, of course!

GameFly's maximum password length is 12 characters wowowowowow

Uplay's is 16 but I had to remove special characters from my password because Far Cry 2's log-in form doesn't support them. Excellent consistency there, Ubi.

JaseC

Is it me or are Steam sales lame lately?

Maybe because summer

I just bought 11 games, so no. ;)

Edit: Though to be fair, half of them were due to coupons... and one was thanks to a loyalty discount... and another is a pre-order.

impact

Banned
Is it me or are Steam sales lame lately?

Maybe because summer

I've been desperately trying to buy something for the past week and haven't found anything. Talked myself out of AC3 the other day and that was the only thing I even had any kind of interest in playing that's been on sale lately.

Really want Metal Gear Rising, Castlevania LoS or Volgarr (missed the one several weeks back due to being busy with PS4)

Was kinda eyeing Spelunky but I didn't really enjoy it at all on Vita, and I even got it for like 3 bucks on a PSN sale.

:<

i just found out there's a super secret mask to collect in guacamelee

what should i do

ughhhh why did miyamoto invent platformssssss

Play what you want? ;)
If you get the 5 secret pieces of the mask you gain a special ability, which makes getting some of the remaining chests (and the challenges) a joke. The ability is
flying while in chicken form

It told me last night to play "The Ball!" I have absolutely no idea what it's about.

It told me to play Dear Esther, which I finished in 35 minutes.
It also told me to play Dwarves?! which I find infuriating. :lol
I'm still trying to finish out some of the other achievements I'm missing for the next few days; there's 1 left in Sleepy Dawgs, one in Pressure, one in They Bleed Pixels, two in Dwarves?! and then whatever is left from the stuff added today (The Ball, The Bridge, etc.).

Knurek

Z1AmkwM.png

Are we even sure the data provided by SteamCharts is valid?
Many (and I do mean many) games give such low values, that I'm starting to think there must be some sort of bug in their parser.

Case in point: Dustforce devs reported upwards of 150,000 sales, yet SteamCharts gives states all-time peak players was 325.

zkylon

zkylewd
i just can't climb that fucking tree man

took me forever to get to like stage 3 or 4 but i had the costume on that didn't let you heal so i slowly died to the saws

mask thing sounds cool but i think it's out of my league

Anteater

I didn't do those extra stuff in Guacamelee until after I beat the game since hard mode is an unlockable

i just can't climb that fucking tree man

took me forever to get to like stage 3 or 4 but i had the costume on that didn't let you heal so i slowly died to the saws

mask thing sounds cool but i think it's out of my league

have you tried using the dpad? that platforming was shit with the analstick

It told me to play Dear Esther, which I finished in 35 minutes.
It also told me to play Dwarves?! which I find infuriating. :lol
I'm still trying to finish out some of the other achievements I'm missing for the next few days; there's 1 left in Sleepy Dawgs, one in Pressure, one in They Bleed Pixels, two in Dwarves?! and then whatever is left from the stuff added today (The Ball, The Bridge, etc.).

I started Dear Esther and quickly stopped! I tried Dwarves?!, went through the tutorial and such, might come back to it later.

zkylon

zkylewd
I didn't do those extra stuff in Guacamelee until after I beat the game since hard mode is an unlockable

have you tried using the dpad? that platforming was shit with the analstick

nah it's more of a thing of mine that i can't platform for shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom