• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam confirms your account can't be transferred to another person after you die

Draugoth

Gold Member
A curious user decided to ask Steam directly if after his death he could transfer his account and games to someone else through a will. Valve's answer was clear: the account is unique to the user and cannot be transferred, even after death.

User: Hello Steam support, this is a quick question to quell an issue that has been plaguing me. I don't plan on dying any time soon, but when I do, can ownership of my Steam account be transferred through a will?
Steam Support: Hi, thanks for contacting us. Unfortunately Steam accounts and games are not transferable. Steam Support cannot provide another person with access to the account or merge its contents with another account. I regret to inform you that your Steam account cannot be transferred through a will.

7AVatos.png

It seems that the account is yours and yours alone and cannot be transferred to other users. Of course, nothing prevents you from leaving the login and password to someone else, unless Steam is planning to deactivate the accounts after a certain number of years.

I don't know of any account which can be 'transferred' to someone else when you die, but I mean yes just leave your account login and password in your will if you really want someone to inherit your 500+ fishing games

Apple account, Google account, Meta account, Microsoft account, Amazon account, etc. none of those have 'transfer' clauses or whatever. You die and don't let anyone else have the login and password, those accounts are as dead as you are

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You can't sell your account to someone else either........and yet....

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I was thinking about this the other day. Who gets my digital library so they don’t play it either.
I’ll take it. I guarantee I’ll treat it with just as much respect as you do. 💪

Three

I don't know of any account which can be 'transferred' to someone else when you die, but I mean yes just leave your account login and password in your will if you really want someone to inherit your 500+ fishing games
But then you're breaking ToS and might get banned!

giggle-chuckle.gif

Shin-Ra

Apple account, Google account, Meta account, Microsoft account, Amazon account, etc. none of those have 'transfer' clauses or whatever. You die and don't let anyone else have the login and password, those accounts are as dead as you are

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That’s kinda cool, but it’s not permanent.

(3 years is a long time but honestly the apps people have bought on a phone are hardly worth much lol, this is for getting someone’s nudes after they die)

Last edited:

Garibaldi

Can't wait to hand my risque steam library to the kids by sending them password reminders from beyond the grave. No rest even in death.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
At least my kids will get to throw my DVD, bluray and book collection into the garbage once I'm gone.

Shin-Ra

The biggest PITA without a dedicated system for transferring ownership is lack of email account access, SMS messages and other forms of MFA.

Even if an account doesn’t have MFA, it can still be locked to an email password reset due to inactivity or precautionary reset from a security breach or mass credential reuse from another site’s breach.

If the deceased’s email account is terminated, you’re even more buggered.

simpatico

Here's the thing yall, Valve probably doesn't give a shit about this, but imagine if they said "yes". They're getting how many dozen, hundred even, emails per day from detached gamers saying shit like "I'm getting medically assisted death tomorrow and I want to transfer my game account to my xirlfriend Laylaloi. Plz help" You're talking about them getting more office space to open an entire department and hire a team of grief counselors/ customer service agents. Not to mention a bigger team of lawyers to navigate this fucking minefield. It's just not worth it. Give your wife your passwords and just get on with it.

Three

Here's the thing yall, Valve probably doesn't give a shit about this, but imagine if they said "yes". They're getting how many dozen, hundred even, emails per day from detached gamers saying shit like "I'm getting medically assisted death tomorrow and I want to transfer my game account to my xirlfriend Laylaloi. Plz help" You're talking about them getting more office space to open an entire department and hire a team of grief counselors/ customer service agents. Not to mention a bigger team of lawyers to navigate this fucking minefield. It's just not worth it. Give your wife your passwords and just get on with it.
It is a minefield but I'm pretty sure that transfers can be automated much like anything else.

Alebrije

I’m leaving 3 characters of my password on each of the seven continents. Seeing as I’ve got the greatest Steam library of all time, I imagine many marauding adventures will by vying for a chance to complete the code. Good luck adventurers!
The riddle starts with the 7 continents since for most of people there are just 5.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Just curious, for Linkedin and FB I know for sure after someone dies, their spouse can login and do a post telling everyone the person died. So it looks like they do give access of some sort. Or perhaps, they dont give full access, but the person sends CSR proof of death and a message, and CSR uploads the note for them???

Or maybe the spouse simply had login details the whole time and just did it themself?

Just months ago, someone on my Linkedin died and his wife posted a message on his account about his passing.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Lol. I didn't need much to create my account so I'm not sure what they're going to do about me just giving my password to someone to keep me gaming forever.

SHA

My cousin passed away recently, this is expected, I've nothing more to say other than what we see every time once in a while, one more reason to support Piracy cause these people are money makers, not our friends.

Drew1440

I think its mostly to prevent any possible backdoors for hacking or fraud, such as people getting their accounts hijacked. Plus the admin work of managing requests isn't worth it

Edit: Actually this got me thinking more about the game saves themselves, there was an article about a gamer who kept his dad's old xbox which had his father's old racing replays. Since saves are mostly done in the cloud now, it would be nice of them to delegate access to those saves.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

The steam account is tied to an email address, oh no, I wonder how that could be circumvented, hmmm

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

You can transfer ownership of an apple account or google account (at least in the US). It requires a valid death certificate and you fill out some forms.
After the process was completed the account's password was reset and provided to the parents.

Source: I helped some parents through this process who lost their child.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I’m leaving 3 characters of my password on each of the seven continents. Seeing as I’ve got the greatest Steam library of all time, I imagine many marauding adventures will by vying for a chance to complete the code. Good luck adventurers!
Probably the plot to this movie...

kGLVSag.jpeg

if not, then write this story yourself, filling it with as many nonsensical 80's references as possible....GOLD MINE!! :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think its mostly to prevent any possible backdoors for hacking or fraud, such as people getting their accounts hijacked. Plus the admin work of managing requests isn't worth it

Edit: Actually this got me thinking more about the game saves themselves, there was an article about a gamer who kept his dad's old xbox which had his father's old racing replays. Since saves are mostly done in the cloud now, it would be nice of them to delegate access to those saves.
I think video games have gained a resonance level to typical "heirloom" items, so saves, game accounts/scores, and old chat logs are all fair game.

Plus I bet an AI can troll through that stuff and "clone" the deceased's play style, complete with voice pattern shit talk over chat, in just a few years.

Top Bottom