• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam confirms your account can't be transferred to another person after you die

Alebrije

jjknRQo.gif
You know why there is no Half Life 3 , because instead they have been working on AI Gabel secretly

a604df69-a494-49f8-b8e2-bf87813895db_text.gif

lmimmfn

Just on that the OP info states "Steam Support cannot provide another person with access to the account or merge its contents with another account"
This to me sounds like they cannot merge accounts or that they do no have the right to transfer an account to another email address.
Doesn't seem to prevent another user from becoming the new user of the account as long as its the same email address.

Seems like a mountain out of molehill topic?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
My cousin passed away recently, this is expected, I've nothing more to say other than what we see every time once in a while, one more reason to support Piracy cause these people are money makers, not our friends.
If you are going to be a leach, then leach. Justifying it with bad logic annoys me.

BoxFresh123

Remember reading a while back about Bruce Willis wanting to leave his iTunes Library to his kids.

Can't remember what happened (or if it was legit tbh)

You can transfer ownership of an apple account or google account (at least in the US). It requires a valid death certificate and you fill out some forms.
After the process was completed the account's password was reset and provided to the parents.

Source: I helped some parents through this process who lost their child.
Damn. Well, the more you know I guess. Kind of a tragic way to find out this process exists

LordBritish

speaking of which, I need to update my "Envelope" in my safe with all my gaming logins/passwords for all my accounts for my son...

Fabieter

And giving your password and username to someone else is against the TOS of steam. Thats pretty ironic that people suggest here to go against the TOS tho.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I literally gave my son my extra Steam account with 100 games by giving him the password and changing the e-mail. I'm not dead though.

Boss Mog

Why would you even bother asking, you don't own any of the games you buy on Steam? Why would anyone think they could transfer ownership they never had to begin with?

I don't know of any account which can be 'transferred' to someone else when you die, but I mean yes just leave your account login and password in your will if you really want someone to inherit your 500+ fishing games

Apple account, Google account, Meta account, Microsoft account, Amazon account, etc. none of those have 'transfer' clauses or whatever. You die and don't let anyone else have the login and password, those accounts are as dead as you are
It’s not an account but you can transfer your belongings your house car and stuff.But things like gym memberships or accounts I don’t think they would let that happen

I really need to get around to laminating a piece of paper with all my passwords on. I have nightmares about being run over and BTC going to a million bucks a coin while my family rot in a poorhouse somewhere.

N30RYU

I'll make a video on my final days putting a paper with my user and password below a rock for ppl to play finders keepers....

Lunarorbit

I don't know of any account which can be 'transferred' to someone else when you die, but I mean yes just leave your account login and password in your will if you really want someone to inherit your 500+ fishing games

Apple account, Google account, Meta account, Microsoft account, Amazon account, etc. none of those have 'transfer' clauses or whatever. You die and don't let anyone else have the login and password, those accounts are as dead as you are
Ah fuck, now you're making me think of the ai thread that's on here. I bet "dead" email accounts will be a gold mine of usable human interactions for Ai to learn from. I think there was a black mirror episode like this

Shifty1897

I’m leaving 3 characters of my password on each of the seven continents. Seeing as I’ve got the greatest Steam library of all time, I imagine many marauding adventures will by vying for a chance to complete the code. Good luck adventurers!
"Babe wake up, new One Piece lore just dropped. It's a Steam account with 10,000 games."

Hudo

I just give my password and other details to the person I want my account to have. Lmao, get fucked, Valve.

Fahdis

You're all weak. I've prepared an Uncharted-esque treasure hunt for my Steam account. From the mountains of the Himalaya's to the Forests of Borneo, complete with dudes who have guns and a damsel in distress. Old man sidekick is optional.

Sorcerer

I seem to remember Bruce Willis was very angry at Apple because they told him directly that there was no way to transfer his itunes account to his kids after his death.

TVexperto

thanks for nothing gabe...most anti consumer gaming company in the world. they actually ban your whole account if they find out you gave it to your son for example

What weird timing. I just thought about this a few days ago when thinking about giving my library to my wife or daughter when I go. I have a lot of old games that got pulled from the store, classic releases before shitty remaster re-releases. It's shitty to think they can't keep the account going once I'm gone because inevitably they won't be able to prove my identity at some point. Phone number, ID etc. Just a wake up call to the reason why physical always was and always will be superior.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Another positive for physical games, upon death your loved ones can enjoy your most loved gaming titles to fill the huge void you’ve left in their lives…….
Sad Face GIF

Apple has legacy access for three years. This is a good compromise.

Sophist

Have you ever asked yourself what is a Steam account?

Steam and your Subscription(s) require the download and installation of Content and Services onto your computer. Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a non-exclusive license and right, to use the Content and Services for your personal, non-commercial use (except where commercial use is expressly allowed herein or in the applicable Subscription Terms). This license ends upon termination of (a) this Agreement or (b) a Subscription that includes the license. The Content and Services are licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Content and Services. To make use of the Content and Services, you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet.

I am no lawyer but, basically, when you create a steam account you enter an agreement with Valve which then license you access to games. When you die, the agreement die too and with it the given licenses tied to that agreement.

Top Bottom