• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

Rin 1-5
The only reason I picked this up was because I saw Harold Sakuishi in the title.
Loved, loved loved Beck and this seems to be going down a similar route, just with manga.

676QFTP.png

dat classy fill doe

Kono Oto Tomare! 1 - 13:
ohmygoshsogooooooooood
What a neat series this is. Really digging the style of writing, the art, and the character development. I recommend it to anyone wanting to check out something different.
I've never heard of the instrument before this, so it has been cool to learn more about it as the series goes on.

Akame ga Kiru! 1 - 18:
What an interesting series. It changes themes almost every chapter, yet keeps its characters constant and the overall plot focused. There are some BRUTAL scenes, but it feels different enough to be enjoyable as a whole. There's a lot of messed-up stuff here, but it works. Also,
STOP KILLING THE SWELL CHARACTERS FUCK

Ace of Diamond 76 - 82
Furuya not wanting to leave the mound made him feel a bit like a baby but the deep sense of responsibility he feels towards the team and not wanting to let them down did make not feel anger or anything.

Eijun though is a good switch up and that hilarious moment of throwing extremely high to first was awesome.

upandaway

Y'know I thought I had shoujo down as a concept. I thought I got it. I thought I knew what's happening over there. Turns out I was totally wrong because SoreSekai is apparently shoujo. No no it's true, don't look at me that way, I didn't trust that either. But it is.

Referring to the anime but it seems this episode covered the manga's first chapter (the first episode was filler, weird), so I'll just say it here.

Mortemis

Banned
All that Medaka talk reminded me I never wrote my impressions here after I finished it a week or so ago. I don't feel like writing a wall of text review so I'll just keep it short. So, it was fucking awesome. I remember Scy saying something like I'll have a huge reaction to change that happens around chapter 20, and tbh that was an understatement. I had no idea it would turn into an action manga and thought that the mangaka ran out of ideas so he took the battle manga route, so of course I thought it'll end up like shit. Boy was I wrong, and I'm so glad I was. Some things had me confused like the whole focusing on abnormals and how abnormals kept on getting more and more, well, abnormal. It all worked out for the best though. From the first fight to the last I was always interested and excited. All the fights had some sort of tension, but always kept that fun factor. I'm not going to lie, the whole jet black bride arc had me so mad and jealous that I didn't know Japanese, I love word-play riddles and games and would have loved to try them out myself. I guess Japanese is perfect for riddles. Well anyways, the characters in this manga were all great. I can't pick even one character I didn't like, and with a huge cast like this that is definitely a great feat. The only character I didn't like was the MC herself, and I was rooting for Zenkichi during the election arc. After the election arc I started to really like her character though. As for the other characters, well there's Kumagawa. Yep, Kumagawa. The good loser who can't help but lose in the best ways. Definitely my favorite character in the manga and probably one of my most favorite in any manga.

Damn it, I wanted to keep it short. Eh, it's not that long. Well all in all this was some of the most fun I've had reading a manga in a long time, and I'm definitely interested in author's other works. I'm disappointed to say that I've never tried any of Nisio Isin's works, he's the writer of the monogatari and the katanagatari series right? I've always put them off but I can't do that anymore.

upandaway

All that Medaka talk reminded me I never wrote my impressions here after I finished it a week or so ago. I don't feel like writing a wall of text review so I'll just keep it short. So, it was fucking awesome. I remember Scy saying something like I'll have a huge reaction to change that happens around chapter 20, and tbh that was an understatement. I had no idea it would turn into an action manga and thought that the mangaka ran out of ideas so he took the battle manga route, so of course I thought it'll end up like shit. Boy was I wrong, and I'm so glad I was. Some things had me confused like the whole focusing on abnormals and how abnormals kept on getting more and more, well, abnormal. It all worked out for the best though. From the first fight to the last I was always interested and excited. All the fights had some sort of tension, but always kept that fun factor. I'm not going to lie, the whole jet black bride arc had me so mad and jealous that I didn't know Japanese, I love word-play riddles and games and would have loved to try them out myself. I guess Japanese is perfect for riddles. Well anyways, the characters in this manga were all great. I can't pick even one character I didn't like, and with a huge cast like this that is definitely a great feat. The only character I didn't like was the MC herself, and I was rooting for Zenkichi during the election arc. After the election arc I started to really like her character though. As for the other characters, well there's Kumagawa. Yep, Kumagawa. The good loser who can't help but lose in the best ways. Definitely my favorite character in the manga and probably one of my most favorite in any manga.

Damn it, I wanted to keep it short. Eh, it's not that long. Well all in all this was some of the most fun I've had reading a manga in a long time, and I'm definitely interested in author's other works. I'm disappointed to say that I've never tried any of Nisio Isin's works, he's the writer of the monogatari and the katanagatari series right? I've always put them off but I can't do that anymore.
We cool. You're a buddy. I miss Medaka Box so much. Did you remember to check the two Kumagawa bonus chapters? He's the universal most favorite guy of everyone.
About the Japanese, he just makes crazy heavy use of it constantly. He sure loves his Japanese, definitely.

And yeah Nisio is the Monogatari and Katanagatari guy. I love Monogatari too, watch the anime. I really miss that too, I need my regular Nisio intake and it's all gone :(

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Y'know I thought I had shoujo down as a concept. I thought I got it. I thought I knew what's happening over there. Turns out I was totally wrong because SoreSekai is apparently shoujo. No no it's true, don't look at me that way, I didn't trust that either. But it is.

Referring to the anime but it seems this episode covered the manga's first chapter (the first episode was filler, weird), so I'll just say it here.

Wait, what about it isn't shoujo to you?

jbug617

Banned
I have not been impressed with Akashi. I haven't seen a Generation of Miracles worthy ability. Only his ruthlessness. I just don't know where the mangaka goes from here....

My guess it's going to be Akashi vs Kagami for the first 5 minutes of the quarter and then it will be Akashi vs Kuroko to finish the game.

scy

All that Medaka talk reminded me I never wrote my impressions here after I finished it a week or so ago. I don't feel like writing a wall of text review so I'll just keep it short. So, it was fucking awesome. I remember Scy saying something like I'll have a huge reaction to change that happens around chapter 20, and tbh that was an understatement.

Yup. This is the turning point of the series and the love it or hate it divide comes here where it suddenly goes DEEP into the battle manga tank. And it does so with the tongue-in-cheek self-aware vibe so it's fun.

Mortemis

Banned
We cool. You're a buddy. I miss Medaka Box so much. Did you remember to check the two Kumagawa bonus chapters? He's the universal most favorite guy of everyone.
About the Japanese, he just makes crazy heavy use of it constantly. He sure loves his Japanese, definitely.

And yeah Nisio is the Monogatari and Katanagatari guy. I love Monogatari too, watch the anime. I really miss that too, I need my regular Nisio intake and it's all gone :(

Oh yeah, definitely. I even watched the anime adaptation episodes of them. I can't get enough of that guy.

I'll watch the anime. Is there two or three seasons? I see bakemonogatari and monogatari second season, but then there's nisemonogatari. Is that a spin-off or something?

Mortemis

Banned
Yup. This is the turning point of the series and the love it or hate it divide comes here where it suddenly goes DEEP into the battle manga tank. And it does so with the tongue-in-cheek self-aware vibe so it's fun.

Yep, it definitely got much more fun. I'm glad it went that way, and can't think of any reason someone wouldn't like it.

No nisemonogatari is not a spin off.

So there's 3 seasons?

Tenkuu Shinpan 13-16

The masks are revealed to be the source of how the killers are made (shocking).

Sort of angry that the girl wussed out and didn't kill him when she had the chance.

Knew it was just going to back stab her later.

Senyuu 3 23-26

1kp1HgJl.jpg

Makes me go doki doki.

Senyuu 3 27-29

IsyUWH6l.jpg

HOT BLOODED LETTING THE ENEMY RUN AWAY!

Senyuu 3 30-31

it98A7Xl.jpg

That demon lord means business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom