• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Idk about everyone else but im fucking psyched about the motion controlled lean. Its gonna be so nice to not have to hit a button to lean and have your fingers all awkward on the controller.

Broadbandito said:
Idk about everyone else but im fucking psyched about the motion controlled lean. Its gonna be so nice to not have to hit a button to lean and have your fingers all awkward on the controller.

Yeah same here. I just hope its responsive enough, IIRC GRAW tried similar functionality but it was pretty inconsistent.

But these are the kinds of supplemental roles I always figured would be the best way to leverage motion control on PS3. Another semi recent example is spotting the trajectory of your grenade throw in Uncharted, I didn't really bother with it until my second run through the game but its surprisingly intuitive and accurate. In fact Slant Six might want to incorporate that in SOCOM it works so well.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Yeah same here. I just hope its responsive enough, IIRC GRAW tried similar functionality but it was pretty inconsistent.

But these are the kinds of supplemental roles I always figured would be the best way to leverage motion control on PS3. Another semi recent example is spotting the trajectory of your grenade throw in Uncharted, I didn't really bother with it until my second run through the game but its surprisingly intuitive and accurate. In fact Slant Six might want to incorporate that in SOCOM it works so well.

it did work well in uncharted but idk about that with socom. lets hope leaning is awesome with socom

RiverBed

Banned
don't get too happy, motion control will never be as accurate as pushing a button or a stick. just look at Wii games and other motion games on PS3.

J-Rzez

I just bought EGM and read the whole article, and I'm seriously busting through my zipper. It sounds like they're doing a great job retaining it's original 1 & 2 feel, treating that stuff like gospel, and doing some nice innovations to the series. I can't wait to hear how this game is going to sound with all the audio trickery they're throwing in there with 7.1 none the less.

The ability the roll grenades is going to be awesome for the indoors stuff with the low ceilings, such a cool little addition. And finally, they're totally physics based. I'm also glad that they're just putting in a mix of cover that's either solid or actually allows bullet penetration. Because some stuff in life does actually provide cover though other games don't think this is true. But they're Arcade based, not sim, so I guess that's their hook.

And finally, as expected, the Community/Clan options are absolutely second to none. I'm glad S6 put a lot of work behind this as it's a major draw of the series. Why don't some developers realize this? Clans are a HUGE part of community, and doesn't seem like it would be a lot of work. Even a lot of the "Big" shooters out there suffer from this shortcoming with laughable to zero support: Halo 3, CoD4, R6V2. I like the idea of clans here picking a special forces team, getting that team's specific gear, and looking like a team while still allowing some customization. It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out for people with this selection of say either shooting with the SAS, KSK, or SEALs.

While the graphics don't look up to par with other shooters out there in the mag, they did say that they're working on this stuff from here on out, so they will get a lil better. Even still though, the game wasn't about graphics before obviously, it was it's second to none unique gameplay that made it addictive, any fan will tell you this.

I'll be buying both the download and the boxed copy of this game because the series deserves it. I just wish I had a way to get into the Beta, I'd love to express my concerns to them if there's anything that doesn't feel like S1 or S2. I can't wait to form up the old Clan too!

Return of the King indeed.

Deepblue

Banned
J-Rzez said:
The ability the roll grenades is going to be awesome for the indoors stuff with the low ceilings, such a cool little addition. And finally, they're totally physics based. I'm also glad that they're just putting in a mix of cover that's either solid or actually allows bullet penetration. Because some stuff in life does actually provide cover though other games don't think this is true. But they're Arcade based, not sim, so I guess that's their hook.
Cover vs. concealment. Cover will protect while concealment will not.

J-Rzez said:
I'll be buying both the download and the boxed copy of this game because the series deserves it. I just wish I had a way to get into the Beta, I'd love to express my concerns to them if there's anything that doesn't feel like S1 or S2. I can't wait to form up the old Clan too!

Return of the King indeed.

thats love baby, but i believe the beta will be open in a few months

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thanks, downloading to my PS3. Will listen to it tomorrow. Look forward to future episodes.

Damn blazing fast downloading. Are you using some PS3's to host the file??!?

Kittonwy

Banned
Listening as we speak.
Indifferent2.gif

Doel said:
"The Real SOCOM" Podcast - Episode 1

Take a listen, let me know what you think.

downloading now

I made a strange comment yesterday to my friends. "Since you guys are all getting ps3 for mgs4, I think i may just stop playing live and switch to ps3 online mainly due to socom since you guys will be on it with me" I've been kind of sick of live lately, and really socom is going to be a driving force for me to stop playing on live (except for bf:bc possibly saving that) idk.. I just really want socom and all its awesome features.

Kittonwy

Banned
The other guy is so resistant to change, SOCOM 2 HD isn't exactly something that Slant Six could push, for the SOCOM franchise to stay stagnant, especially in terms of community features, would not make sense.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Kittonwy said:
The other guy is so resistant to change, SOCOM 2 HD isn't exactly something that Slant Six could push, for the SOCOM franchise to stay stagnant, especially in terms of community features, would not make sense.

You sure love that party system...

SOCOM could not change at all and still be great. It was ahead of it's time when it was out, and people STILL haven't gotten the fucking idea on building a community for their game.

FabCam

Am I allowed to link a site that links to scans? If so, new screens and maps are showed off here:

{removed unless I'm allowed to post it}

FabCam

Opus Angelorum said:
As far as I'm aware no.

Incidentally the scans look poor, the lighting is awful.

I was kind of underwhelmed, but 1st it's an early build. Plus they're scans from a magazine, so that may contribute. The maps look awesome though/

Saiyu

Sol.. said:
You sure love that party system...

SOCOM could not change at all and still be great. It was ahead of it's time when it was out, and people STILL haven't gotten the fucking idea on building a community for their game.

Yeah no shit, people STILL remember what their lobbies were in SOCOM 1 and 2 (East 9, West 5 for 2) and the communities that were in them. Modern console online gaming just doesn't have that feeling, and it's something that I wish we could keep/go back to.

Well, after my account got reset from my previous 20,000 some kills to 12,000 some deaths, I vowed to never log onto socom 2 again, after some years, im going back on, whos with me? Name will be same as gaf username, let me know when someone wants to get on, do it.

Kittonwy

Banned
Saiyu said:
Yeah no shit, people STILL remember what their lobbies were in SOCOM 1 and 2 (East 9, West 5 for 2) and the communities that were in them. Modern console online gaming just doesn't have that feeling, and it's something that I wish we could keep/go back to.

Modern console online gaming like in Resistance is about YOUR CLAN and YOUR PARTY, not a bunch of guys you and your friends are trying to beat. I like the fact that I don't have to like people I play against, we're just here to take them down.
angry.gif

dralla

After the huge dissapointment that MGO doesn't use PSN I was/am hoping this would be my tactical shooter of choice but the maps have me worried. Only 7 maps? Each map in the previous games was designed for 1 game mode, with only 7 maps that either means that you'll be playing the same mode on just 1 or 2 maps over and over, or that each map isn't designed for a specific game type...which I would assume means the maps aren't as good as the ones in S2. And all maps are set in N. Africa, what about maps in the Snow, Forest, Ruins, on Ships, ect. I'm getting sick of the bombed out village maps.

Kittonwy

Banned
The screens look pretty good, hopefully the visuals will continue to improve, they've certainly come a long way, hopefully their community features will be very robust.
Indifferent2.gif

Ravenn17

Ugh, all these interviews are comprised of the same old questions that don't address the pressing questions like hit detection, gun mechanics (gun spray, snipers), gun balance, stable frame rate, etc.

dralla

"The party system lets a group of us just spend our evening playing all sorts of different kinds of games and travel around together. It just means, at a communication level, we can talk to each other separately from the tactical talk of the game going on, and just stay together as a group and understand what we're doing. It's just for the social -- it's fun."

omg wtf they ruined socom lobbyz

Kittonwy

Banned
Ravenn17 said:
Ugh, all these interviews are comprised of the same old questions that don't address the pressing questions like hit detection, gun mechanics (gun spray, snipers), gun balance, stable frame rate, etc.

I just don't expect them to have frame rate problems, it's not like this is the most spectacular-looking game out there, questions about hit detection and gun mechanics they should address.

Top Bottom