• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

Zephyrus

Banned
jpg

So this image is circling around.

Any truth about it?

I'm pretty sad if Wolf got the cut. Found him WAY more interesting than Fox

jpg

So this image is circling around.

Any truth about it?

I'm pretty sad if Wolf got the cut. Found him WAY more interesting than Fox
the link is broken, but in gonna say it was proven fake when people realized the text is nonsensical and the images are stolen from other games/art.

DaBoss

Kirby (Right Back at Ya!)
Lots of straight forward changes/additions.

Kirby's Jabs

Yea, that's it. It looks like Kirby tries to do an uppercut lol.

Kirby's New Side Special

The Hammer Flip. You can charge it and take damage from it if you charge it too much which is similar to Dedede's Jet Hammer.

I'm guessing you can no longer do the double swing from Brawl when used in the air. I wonder if it can be used to deflect projectiles or at least clash with them. That is one thing I found odd in Brawl.

And Ryce pointed out that this move was probably planned for Brawl since there is an unused animation:
isAsXwQqTldoS.gif

Kirby's New Final Smash

The Ultra Sword. It is much cooler and better than whatever the hell Kirby was doing in Brawl lol. The Ultra Sword is the most prominent super ability in Kirby's Return to Dreamland and the regular sword ability is probably the most iconic one for Kirby. It really is fitting for Kirby to have this final smash.

One more thing:
Kirby buff/nerf

Kirby's Up Special change
i9Sk9JvFniovP.gif
ibiIadYtLrbVux.gif

1/2 speed on the left.

The Final Cutter's (Up Special) projectile distance has been shortened by quite a bit. In Brawl, if you used it from the edge of Final Destination, it would go all the way to the middle of the stage.

Now the upside to this is that the animation takes less time which means Kirby can get out of it faster. Kirby would be unable to do anything else till the projectile disappears.

I've never really seen people using the projectile part of the attack much, let alone land on the stage using that move, so in the end, it doesn't really mean much lol. I guess for those that use it the way this GIF seems to use it, it is a welcome change. It would be a 3-hit move that finishes more quickly now, though it is really easy to DI out of, so yea...

Okay, what's everyone's top three stages they want to return for both versions?

3DS:
1) Pirate Ship
2) Congo Jungle
3) Yoshi's Island

I don't have top 3 for Wii U as I don't own one.

3DS:

Hyrule Temple (SSB64)
Saffron City (SSB64)
Mushroom Kingdom (SSB64)

Wii U:

I would say Jungle Japes but it's already been confirmed!

Temple (Melee)
Fountain of Dreams (Melee)
Spear Pillar (Brawl)

georly

I just realized that Kid Icarus, Mario, and Zelda each have a TON of items for their series, so it should be pretty fun to do franchise themed matches more than before.

Previously, pokemon stadium, pokeballs only was a big hit in my house.

Now we can do Beetle, Bombchu, Fairy, Heart, Cucco, Gust Bellows, Bunny hood, Deku nut ( and Timer!) on skyloft!

Or we can do Back shield, X-Bomb, Drill-Arm, Killer Eye, Ore club, etc on palutena's temple, or reset bomb.

And mario is super loaded. Blue shell, green shell, fire flower, tanuki leaf, freezie, bullet bill (or is he assist trophy), Boomerang (could use it on zelda too... even though it's boomerang bros's), Fire Bar, POW block, Bob-omb, (hammer!?), hothead, Metal mario, Mushroom, poison mushroom, and starman!

Used to be pretty slim-pickings for franchise specific items outside of mario, but this is great.

emb

Kirby's Jabs

Kirby's New Side Special
The Hammer Flip. You can charge it and take damage from it if you charge it too much which is similar to Dedede's Jet Hammer.

I'm guessing you can no longer do the double swing from Brawl when used in the air. I wonder if it can be used to deflect projectiles or at least clash with them. That is one thing I found odd in Brawl.

And Ryce pointed out that this move was probably planned for Brawl since there is an unused animation:

Kirby's New Final Smash
The Ultra Sword. It is much cooler and better than whatever the hell Kirby was doing in Brawl lol. The Ultra Sword is the most prominent super ability in Kirby's Return to Dreamland and the regular sword ability is probably the most iconic one for Kirby. It really is fitting for Kirby to have this final smash.
Jabs look better. I don't see the point of the change to the hammer special, since Dedede already has that move, and it isn't even that good/fun with him. New FS looks nice. I can't even remember what Kirby's final was in Brawl.

Kirby's Jabs

For what it's worth, Kirby's jab finisher is the Smash Punch from his Fighter ability, the same ability where his usual jab (Vulcan Jab) comes from. Smash players may recognize it as a move that Knuckle Joe used in his AT form in Brawl as well.

It's a nice touch. I love how almost every one of Kirby's moves is pulled from one of his abilities or another, with even some of his SSB copy abilities housing references to his typical abilities.

Oh god, I just realized he hasn't been announced yet. Holy bananas.

Meta Knight is one of the only few characters that is probably expected to receive a significant nerf; it should be interesting as a reveal. I think since they're getting rid of the glide mechanic, that'll help with his airtime, but I think we may also see some changes to his recovery. Maybe they should just make his side B his up B, then give him a new move as a replacement..

I like how we know there are still several characters waiting to be revealed that we know for sure won't be cut (ie: ROB, G&W).

Sciz

Kirby's New Final Smash

The Ultra Sword. It is much cooler and better than whatever the hell Kirby was doing in Brawl lol.

It was Cook, a screen-clearing one-shot ability from KSS. And it was way cooler than another boring "hit em with a sword a bunch" final smash. :(

georly

Meta Knight is one of the only few characters that is probably expected to receive a significant nerf; it should be interesting as a reveal. I think since they're getting rid of the glide mechanic, that'll help with his airtime, but I think we may also see some changes to his recovery. Maybe they should just make his side B his up B, then give him a new move as a replacement..

I like how we know there are still several characters waiting to be revealed that we know for sure won't be cut (ie: ROB, G&W).

I think we'll see him at E3, for sure. Is it confirmed charizard is missing his glide as well? Is the whole mechanic cut, or was it just cut from pit? I think it's worth cutting all-around, especially on someone like Metaknight.

I'm sure he has lots of changes to be made, it'll be neat to see what they do.

rawktapus

I'm surprised a triforce doesn't appear around the opponent for Kirby's new one.

Actually, it makes me wonder if the Links are gonna get new Final Smashes. Kirby's at least seems to have a bigger area of effect, which could be hazardous to people farther outside the source of the attack.

So it just dawned on me what one reason we haven't seen a ganondorf reveal yet could be.

Do you guys think that guano died is going to be the main villain in Zelda Wii U, and they are waiting to reveal him until after the Zelda reveal trailer because he is modeled after him..?

I mean we haven't had ganondorf in a console(3D) Zelda game since twilight princess, and he so far has only been the villain in console Zelda games, so it makes sense that he will probably be the villain in Zelda U. Using that model would make sense.

IMO it's either that or he isn't the villain in the next one, and whoever the villain is will be the Zelda bad guy representative.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
For Wifi users, HEED THE WORDS OF SAKURAI!

So it just dawned on me what one reason we haven't seen a ganondorf reveal yet could be.

Do you guys think that guano died is going to be the main villain in Zelda Wii U, and they are waiting to reveal him until after the Zelda reveal trailer because he is modeled after him..?

I mean we haven't had ganondorf in a console(3D) Zelda game since twilight princess, and he so far has only been the villain in console Zelda games, so it makes sense that he will probably be the villain in Zelda U. Using that model would make sense.

IMO it's either that or he isn't the villain in the next one, and whoever the villain is will be the Zelda bad guy representative.

Maybe he's going to be unlockable character or they held him back because there is a possibility that his moveset got revamped.

Link, Zelda, and Sheik are all using their Twilight Princess designs, Ganondorf will probably use his as well. And he won't be replaced, no matter what crazy SS-lovers will try to tell you about Demise or Ghirahim.

Link and Zelda are using their TP designs, so Ganondorf not using his to match would be weird.

Zephyrus

Banned
lol I'd rather have Katarina, Marica, Shiida, Leif, Cellica, etc. Jaffar would be a cool assist trophy too.

Ishtar too.

Fire Emblem really just deserves it's own fighting game by Arc System Works. The cast is so diverse and there are so many characters who get overshadowed by other characters.

Scratch that. Fire Emblem deserves it's own warriors game by Koei.

The fact that Nintendo has them making Hyrule Warriors and not Fire Emblem warriors is a travesty.

georly

Link, Zelda, and Sheik are all using their Twilight Princess designs, Ganondorf will probably use his as well. And he won't be replaced, no matter what crazy SS-lovers will try to tell you about Demise or Ghirahim.

Link and Zelda are using their TP designs, so Ganondorf not using his to match would be weird.

This is what I believe.

I think a lot of veterans we havent seen yet are simply because they will be unlockable, and they will be revealed officially after 3DS version comes out (or maybe even Wii U if they're crazy). Releasing their HD character models (like shiny ZSS and shiny Rosalina) could help build hype for Wii U version as well. I *HOPE* ganondorf gets new moves, but I doubt it, unfortunately. I'd love to play him more, but I don't like the fact that he's still the cloniest clone ever. Giving him captain falcon moves doesn't even make sense.

I still have the wii lan adapter. Glad I kept it. :p

Official one is here, but 25 bucks is a bit steep.
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...goryId=62707&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

All I see on amazon are knock offs. Anyone know if they work OK? Should I just get the official nintendo one?

SoldnerKei

Demise hell no, I don't akumandorf in smash, as for Ghirahim, he could do as a trophy instead, he only has appear in 1 game

dorf is a given...
right?

This is what I believe.

I think a lot of veterans we havent seen yet are simply because they will be unlockable, and they will be revealed officially after 3DS version comes out (or maybe even Wii U if they're crazy). Releasing their HD character models (like shiny ZSS and shiny Rosalina) could help build hype for Wii U version as well. I *HOPE* ganondorf gets new moves, but I doubt it, unfortunately. I'd love to play him more, but I don't like the fact that he's still the cloniest clone ever. Giving him captain falcon moves doesn't even make sense.

Official one is here, but 25 bucks is a bit steep.
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...goryId=62707&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

All I see on amazon are knock offs. Anyone know if they work OK? Should I just get the official nintendo one?

I always get official accessories. Even it cost a bit more. Knockoffs tend to not work with me.

I'm calling it: Meta Knight will remain among the best.

My dream retro stages

Wii U
- Fountain of Dreams (legendary god tier stage + music combo)
- Corneria (have to have a Great Fox level, it is Smash Law)
- Pokemon Stadium 2 (Slim pickings for Pokemon stages, since Spear Pillar is probably out. Stadium 1 is a better stage, but I'm so bored of it.)
- Hyrule Castle 64 (I always liked this level. Certainly would need a graphics overhaul though)
- Alternately, Hyrule Temple because it's a legendary smash level and with 4's better scaled characters it would go back to the massive stage it was in Melee.
- Peach's Castle (A classic from Melee, was surprised it wasn't in Brawl)
- Halberd (Added because it's already confirmed, makes me doubtful to see Fountain of Dreams again though :( )
- Fourside (Interesting level with a fantastic skybox and fantastic music)

3DS
- Jungle Japes Melee (Added because it's already confirmed)
- Sector Z (required by law to fight on the Great Fox)
- Peach's Castle 64 (iconic of 64, although not really the best stage of that game)
- Pirate Ship (Would love to see on the Wii U, but it's simple enough Brawl Stage that it wouldn't hurt performance on the 3DS, so it might be better here)
- Saffron City (A favorite of mine from 64)
- Onett (classic Melee/Brawl stage, simple enough for the 3DS)

Levels I absolutely do not want to see in this game
- 75m (this stage is not fun at all to play on)
- Pokemon Stadium (a good stage, but I'm bored of it, Pokemon can do better)
- New Pork City (too big, and not in a fun way like Temple)
- Mushroomy Kingdom (ugly appearance, mediocre music, a 1-1 level in Smash could be fantastic, but this is not that level)
- Pokefloats (The models of the Pokemon are soooo low res, it'll look ridiculous with the high poly characters) A nice remake that actually makes the models look like balloons over something that visually looks like Kanto and not just purple clouds would be fantastic though
- Mario Bros (boring music, boring design, frustrating to play on)

Temple needs to come back again. It is 100% necessary as Temple is one of the best-designed stages in all of Smash Bros. history.

Also I really hope we get some N64 retro stages this time around. It'd be fun to play on those stages in HD, as they would look completely silly and retro. Although, honestly, I think it'd be preferable if Smash Bros. took a cue from Mario Kart and redid retro stages instead of porting them over wholesale...

So there's a few problems with this. Zelda and Link have their TP designs, so Ganon probably would too. Ganon isn't the villain in every console Zelda. He's also probably unlockable, which is why he hasn't been revealed.

I wonder what the earthbound level/music will be?

Part of me kinda wants a moonside level. But I really want Saturn valley music or the 8 melodies.

Axass

Favourite current stages:

3DS

1. Gerudo Valley - OoT is my favourite game, the pit under the bridge looks cool.
  2. Spirit Train - Love the fact it's dynamic, with platforms coming and going.
  3. Find Mii - Reminds me of the pokémon stage from SSB64, with the two lonely platforms.

WIIU

1. Garden of Hope - Lovely composition, just big enough, with enough variety in platforms.
  2. Mario Galaxy - The gravity mechanic should prove to be very interesting.
  3. Palutena's Temple - I was a big fan of Hyrule Castle (but New Pork City was awful).
  4. Boxing Ring - I love the graphical presentation of this stage, I'm also a fan of stages with no pits.
  5. Pilot Wings - I was a fan of the Venom cruise in Melee, this seems somehow similar.

Okay, what's everyone's top three stages they want to return for both versions?

3DS

• Sector Z
  • Hyrule Castle 64
  • Saffron City

WIIU

• Corneria
  • Pokémon Stadium 1&2
  • Pirate Stage

----

Onett, Peach's Castle, Dreamland, Hyrule Temple, Oldin's Bridge, too many great stages to add.

I think we'll see him at E3, for sure. Is it confirmed charizard is missing his glide as well? Is the whole mechanic cut, or was it just cut from pit? I think it's worth cutting all-around, especially on someone like Metaknight.

I'm sure he has lots of changes to be made, it'll be neat to see what they do.
I think it'll be cut all-around because of how broken that mechanic is in a game like Smash.
I'm calling it: Meta Knight will remain among the best.
That'll be funny if he gets nerfed similar to Kirby going from 64 to Melee.

I wonder what the earthbound level/music will be?

Part of me kinda wants a moonside level. But I really want Saturn valley music or the 8 melodies.

It'd be a little bit out there, but they could always go with a ship level to throw in the Kraken fight.

I think it'll be cut all-around because of how broken that mechanic is in a game like Smash.

I'm not expecting Meta Knight's damage to get reduced that much considering how buffed the other attacks are getting with regards to range and whatnot. I have a feeling his nerfs will be based a little more on movement options: no glides, reduced number of jumps (or weaker jumps, at least) and nerfed movement options with his specials. He could also get the Sonic treatment where a lot of his knockback is significantly reduced on everything save for specials that render him helpless, meaning he'd have a higher risk-reward dynamic instead of just flying around and annihilating everyone.

SoldnerKei

I want to doubt that this will happen, since they are taking in count balance without items in 'For Glory' setting, they need to make every character viable regarding their final smash or items... but then again they could just screw that and balance like they have been doing so far

It was Cook, a screen-clearing one-shot ability from KSS. And it was way cooler than another boring "hit em with a sword a bunch" final smash. :(
I definitely agree. Out of all Kirby's abilities that could be used for a Final Smash, they use the Sword and copy Link's? Really?

Top Bottom