• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Arsenic

n1n9tean said:
So, do you think COD4 has well-designed maps? Because, I certainly don't. On multiple occasions I honestly and mistakingly called the map Shipment "BOX" to LOL responses from my clanmates because they could see exactly why I would make such a mistake. Also, so many of the maps flow the exact same way (speed, tactics) that after all the months I've been playing I still have trouble naming the maps; ANY of them. They are not UNIQUE at all.

Now, I'm not just "hating" on COD4 as if I suck at the game or something. I'm quite good, actually. I have a 1.44 kill/death ratio (and constantly climbing) and I'm on either my 4th or 5th prestige mode at level fourty-something.

But, look, I feel like nearly every map on COD4 follows the same basic design of:

-place a bunch of players on a giant plate
-divide them with obstructions
-allow players to sprint toward each other through 1 of 3 pathways
-let them kill each other, respawn and do it again

Socom, on the other hand, has shown me the greatest, most detailed and dynamic multiplayer maps I've ever had the pleasure to hunt people down on (WITH stealth......which is all but UNpossible on COD4 :lol).

I think you need to put it all into perspective.

One last thing. Sure Socom 2 came with all those maps but you realize they were able to throw in most of the maps from the first game, right? With them using a new engine and all for the current gen, that doesn't really seem like an option for them this time.

You nailed it how me and my friends feel about COD4. I dont even play it downright because of the shitty map design. And i also suffer from the same problems, not remembering the map names. CoD is a great game, fun and runs well, but it was just be too intense, and uses Zero strategy on deathmatches. Of course some will say "go play another mode" but frankly i just love killing people (EDIT: In video games!), thats it.

Arsenic

methane47 said:
COD4 shipped with 16 maps? Why is it that I only played like 4-5 of them for the 2-3 weeks I had it? ...
It feels like 4-5 but it really cycles around 8 or so, depending on the mode. But i think theres realistically around 12 maps..

Arsenic said:
You nailed it how me and my friends feel about COD4. I dont even play it downright because of the shitty map design. And i also suffer from the same problems, not remembering the map names. CoD is a great game, fun and runs well, but it was just be too intense, and uses Zero strategy on deathmatches. Of course some will say "go play another mode" but frankly i just love killing people, thats it.

NEVER say that out of context :lol

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I've always wanted SOCOM 2 with updated graphics, physics and hit detection. I would buy that shit and play it all the time. :(

Andokuky

Banned
n1n9tean said:
So, do you think COD4 has well-designed maps? Because, I certainly don't. On multiple occasions I honestly and mistakingly called the map Shipment "BOX" to LOL responses from my clanmates because they could see exactly why I would make such a mistake. Also, so many of the maps flow the exact same way (speed, tactics) that after all the months I've been playing I still have trouble naming the maps; ANY of them. They are not UNIQUE at all.

Now, I'm not just "hating" on COD4 as if I suck at the game or something. I'm quite good, actually. I have a 1.44 kill/death ratio (and constantly climbing) and I'm on either my 4th or 5th prestige mode at level fourty-something.

But, look, I feel like nearly every map on COD4 follows the same basic design of:

Socom, on the other hand, has shown me the greatest, most detailed and dynamic multiplayer maps I've ever had the pleasure to hunt people down on (WITH stealth......which is all but UNpossible on COD4 :lol).

One last thing. Sure Socom 2 came with all those maps but you realize they were able to throw in most of the maps from the first game, right? With them using a new engine and all for the current gen, that doesn't really seem like an option for them this time.

Uh... every shooter has levels like this. Even SOCOM 2 maps you just rushed to choke points to lob grenades and set up spots to wait for people. Only in SOCOM you don't respawn so players are a lot less aggressive. Every CoD4 map is unique to me and I can name every one of them. I don't think they are nearly as good as the S2 maps though but anyone expecting SOCOM quality maps out of Confrontation is kidding themselves.

J-Rzez

Andokuky said:
I don't think they are nearly as good as the S2 maps though but anyone expecting SOCOM quality maps out of Confrontation is kidding themselves.

Care to tell us about the maps in Conf? I didn't get to see them yet, and i'm curious to see what they turn out to be.

oneHeero

n1n9tean said:

Thats not being quite good. Prestige means nothing but time on your hands. 1.44 k/d is laughable as well. Your average @ best.

The maps are quite decent in COD. Sre Shipment is gay, and takes no skill, but other maps are pretty good, ie. Pipeline, Strike, Crossfire, Countdown, blablabla. Every map has alternate routes and you never get stuck w/o having a 2nd option.

I still think Socom>Cod but to say that about COD, is just incorrect. I grew tired of COD already and havent played it in at least a week(moving to a house) so I understand peoples frustrations with it, but it also matters what modes you play. You described what happens in COD during Dom/TDM. But in Sabo/SnD you its a whole other game. I think SnD is garbo but nonetheless it is way different than just spawn kill rinse repeat.

But heres to Socom:C being a great game, I enjoyed the small footage I saw and cant wait for Socom to come out.

n1n9tean

Banned
oneHeero said:
Thats not being quite good. Prestige means nothing but time on your hands. 1.44 k/d is laughable as well. Your average @ best.

The maps are quite decent in COD. Sre Shipment is gay, and takes no skill, but other maps are pretty good, ie. Pipeline, Strike, Crossfire, Countdown, blablabla. Every map has alternate routes and you never get stuck w/o having a 2nd option.

I still think Socom>Cod but to say that about COD, is just incorrect. I grew tired of COD already and havent played it in at least a week(moving to a house) so I understand peoples frustrations with it, but it also matters what modes you play. You described what happens in COD during Dom/TDM. But in Sabo/SnD you its a whole other game. I think SnD is garbo but nonetheless it is way different than just spawn kill rinse repeat.

But heres to Socom:C being a great game, I enjoyed the small footage I saw and cant wait for Socom to come out.
You can disagree but no need for the shit talking calling me average. I'm QUITE GOOD. Didn't say I was phenomenal. What, you want to challenge me or something? :lol

Say I have like12 people from my friends list up on the kill/death board; well out of those 12 there will only be about 3 or 4 of us who have a k/d anywhere near 1.5. Then you have the absolute FREAKS who play like robots running through people without blinking an eye. We've all played with those guys. Well, one of them on my friends list has something like a 1.77 ratio, another has a 1.52, then there's a 1.84. Listen, I honestly don't EVER want to be that good at any game. That shit obviously takes dedication. I look at some of those guys and say, "Dammit, dude you play this game way too much." To cast me off as average and say that I only got my prestige level because I have time on my hands is just throwing a wad of shit at me. I have like 6 days of total playtime and I am where I am with my stats. Those COD4 lunatics have like 15 days put in and on average around a 1.6-1.7 ratio.

So, yea, I'm QUITE GOOD. Bet I'd kick your ass in a cage match.

You only said all that shit (calling 1.44 laughable, etc.) to toot your own horn and hint that you have better stats than that. Good for you. You probably took COD4 a lot more seriously than I do. If it wasn't the only good option right now I would not be playing it. I was thinking about stopping at the 5th prestige; but, I haven't decided yet. COD4 from the very beginning, for me, has been a temporary fill-in for Socom.

Ramirez

I only have a day or so logged into COD and my K/D is above 2, and I'd consider myself to be pretty average compared to some of the better people I've ran into on there.

I'd pay to see this cage match game though!

Doel

Not a lot of Confrontation news this week. It was on XPlay if anyone missed that. Not really anything new though.

Anyways, according to IGN's Podcast Beyond we'll be seeing Confrontation stuff from IGN (and probably everyone else) within the next 2 weeks. :D

Doel said:
Not a lot of Confrontation news this week. It was on XPlay if anyone missed that. Not really anything new though.

Anyways, according to IGN's Podcast Beyond we'll be seeing Confrontation stuff from IGN (and probably everyone else) within the next 2 weeks. :D

Nice. Thanks for the heads up.

Busty

Banned
Doel said:

Gamer's Day this Tuesday so it may b sooner than that.

I'm just wondering whether it will be embargoed for a period of time (24/48 hours) or whether it will be streamed live, E3 style.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Im at 2.89 k/d at the moment in COD4 I was at 3.15 in January so 1.44 K/D is really low.
And I cant wait for more SOCOM its the main reason I got a PS3.

oneHeero

n1n9tean said:
You can disagree but no need for the shit talking calling me average. I'm QUITE GOOD. Didn't say I was phenomenal. What, you want to challenge me or something? :lol

Say I have like12 people from my friends list up on the kill/death board; well out of those 12 there will only be about 3 or 4 of us who have a k/d anywhere near 1.5. Then you have the absolute FREAKS who play like robots running through people without blinking an eye. We've all played with those guys. Well, one of them on my friends list has something like a 1.77 ratio, another has a 1.52, then there's a 1.84. Listen, I honestly don't EVER want to be that good at any game. That shit obviously takes dedication. I look at some of those guys and say, "Dammit, dude you play this game way too much." To cast me off as average and say that I only got my prestige level because I have time on my hands is just throwing a wad of shit at me. I have like 6 days of total playtime and I am where I am with my stats. Those COD4 lunatics have like 15 days put in and on average around a 1.6-1.7 ratio.

So, yea, I'm QUITE GOOD. Bet I'd kick your ass in a cage match.

You only said all that shit (calling 1.44 laughable, etc.) to toot your own horn and hint that you have better stats than that. Good for you. You probably took COD4 a lot more seriously than I do. If it wasn't the only good option right now I would not be playing it. I was thinking about stopping at the 5th prestige; but, I haven't decided yet. COD4 from the very beginning, for me, has been a temporary fill-in for Socom.

I hope your not serious. I have a 2.7 k/d. People on my FL have a 3.0-5.5. only 1 has a 5.5 the rest range from a 3.0-3.7 k/d.

I only have 6 days of playing time since release so I'm not one of those people one the game 24/7. Again 1.44 isnt horrible, but its not good especially when you say "I'm quite good" It really isnt, especially when your nitpicking on the game itself.

Having a 2/7 didnt take dedication, just need to be good and even than I'm not the best when I play with the people I know. Its not dedication, its just learning the maps and using the best things available to you. Not dumb shit like a acog os sniper or some other dumb shit.

By all means add me on PSN, you can see my stats and see I'm not bluffing about not playing the game a lot, I have the same amount of time as you. If you want too, we can play Cage match or we can just set up a custom and run 1v1 on a SMALL map, sine I hate campers.

My PSN is Wise_ look forward to you adding me so I can show you whats up. I didnt want to state my stats here but you calling 1.44 good and saying only ppl who play forever can have a 1.77 (LMAO) is ridiculous.

Add me, maybe I can grab some friends who want to play and you can run into a game with us and see how it is. All of us have 5-8 days of playtime since the 1st day this game came out and all have 2.0s+

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
n1n9tean said:

I happen to think CoD4's ORIGINAL maps are superb. They were properly symmetric with all the pulls (objects/organization that guides flow) and choke points that come with good design. They are visually pleasing while at the same time practical with key points and easily identifiable set pieces. The design is very well thought out with little to no "one way camp spots" while at the same time plenty of spots to get the jump on flankers when you are at many of the main stalemate settings.

If anything what makes the COD4 maps look bad is the spawn system. I don't know what they changed since beta but they changed SOMETHING. It used to spawn teams square with each other at certain areas of interest that provided the most balanced firefight. Now....fuck if it cares where it puts ya as long as it's relatively near other people/one specific person.

With that said, all of my fondest memories in map design lie within the SOCOM series lol. Crossroads was superb (but could use more cover entities) and Abandoned was brilliant on levels i can't possibly describe. I would like to see those maps again. Although at the same time i'm worried how they will stand against modern view distances.

Safe Bet

Banned
OverHeat said:
Im at 2.89 k/d at the moment in COD4 I was at 3.15 in January so 1.44 K/D is really low.
No it's not...

If you play the game casually, anything above a 1.0 is an achievement.

n1n9tean

Banned
You know what.... What can I say to you two above. Look, I guess I'm not as big of a COD4 fan, afterall; and no, I'm not serious about it. I haven't even played it in 7 days.

But, I would like to do a cage match (with either of you) to shut you up about my k/d being low. Maybe it's low compared to many other people but I don't think it's low for me and the amount of time I play. When I WAS playing I ONLY played when a couple friends were on because I liked to have some people to talk to and have fun with.

Anyway, fuck COD4. There, I said it.

EDIT: The reason I get so fucking upset is when oneheero brings up 5.0-7.0 and shit as if "oh, that's what you NEED to have if you want to consider yourself pretty good."

Then sol calling COD4's maps SUPERB?! haha I'm sorry guys I really can't have this argument. I'm a young guy (21) but sometimes I get so upset I fear having a heart attack. :lol

EDIT 2: Okay, Sol... I'm not as upset with you. It's just that I didn't read your full post before the first edit. I stopped at "COD4 maps....superb." :lol

But, I do agree about the respawn locations. The most of them don't seem very thought out. At least good respawn locations could make the maps flow better.

oneHeero

Safe Bet said:
No it's not...

If you play the game casually, anything above a 1.0 is an achievement.

I play casually, hence my 6day play time since the day it came out. The guy with a 1.44 has the same time played.

You know what.... What can I say to you two above. Look, I guess I'm not as big of a COD4 fan, afterall; and no, I'm not serious about it. I haven't even played it in 7 days.

But, I would like to do a cage match (with either of you) to shut you up about my k/d being low. Maybe it's low compared to many other people but I don't think it's low for me and the amount of time I play. When I WAS playing I ONLY played when a couple friends were on because I liked to have some people to talk to and have fun with.

Anyway, fuck COD4. There, I said it.

I'm not a huge COD fan either, its just stupid to say the things you said about the game itself and claim your good with a 1.44...

Add me now and we can play and fuck cage match we'll go into a 1v1 CUSTOM DM and you use your classes and I'll use mine(I'm low level since I did prestige and stopped)

Add me now, I can jump on for a few mins. Wise_ is PSN

EDIT: The reason I get so fucking upset is when oneheero brings up 5.0-7.0 and shit as if "oh, that's what you NEED to have if you want to consider yourself pretty good."

Then sol calling COD4's maps SUPERB?! haha I'm sorry guys I really can't have this argument. I'm a young guy (21) but sometimes I get so upset I fear having a heart attack.

You probably misread I said 3-5 k/d and I stated those were my friends K/ds. I have a 2.7 and I'm considered good to a bunch of people. I also consider myself good but compared to my friends I'm good but some are better.

n1n9tean

Banned
Sent.

Disclaimer: I'm rusty because, as I said, I haven't played for a solid week straight. But, you know, I'm still going to kick your ass. :D

EDIT: Hmmm...you forfeit? I win by default!

EDIT 2: Oh there you go.

oneHeero

n1n9tean said:
Sent.

Disclaimer: I'm rusty because, as I said, I haven't played for a solid week straight. But, you know, I'm still going to kick your ass. :D
Hanet played either so same here :D

I'll send ya the invite ingame :) Showdown ok?

EDIT: haha I only have 5 days 8hrs :\ I thought 6 already :D

Andokuky

Banned
Your K/D ratio just depends on who you play with, and what game modes you play. I play almost nothing but S&D and my ratio is 1.8. For that mode, that is great. When I hop into DM or TDM, my ratio is anywhere from 5 to 7. If I played nothing but those modes or a mode like Headquarters, WOW.

But at the same time playing those same modes alone or with shitty teammates can easily bring your score down. You must be a casual player heero because you put too much of an emphasis on K/D ratio.

Doel

Greg said:
This topic is now about: Crossroads

Best map ever? Yes, I agree.
I disagree. It was too symmetrical to be 'best map ever'. My favourite maps in SOCOM are the ones that break the boundries of what normal shooter maps are:

Death Trap - Seals start on a hill, Terrorists start deep in a base.
Enwapi - Terrorists start in the middle of the map within a walled base on a cliff, Seals start down low in the water.
Sujo - Terrorists start in a base behind a set of breach points on a lowing plain, Seals start behind a set of gates and those breach points on a higher plain.

Of course SOCOM's more symmetrical maps like Crossroads are also extremely well done, but its the mix of those symmetrical and asymmetrical maps, in a variety of environments, and all built around 1 mode, that made them so incredible.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Doel said:
Of course SOCOM's more symmetrical maps like Crossroads are also extremely well done, but its the mix of those symmetrical and asymmetrical maps, in a variety of environments, and all built around 1 mode, that made them so incredible.

Thats whats wrong with shooters today. One map, 400 modes. Maps built with a single, unique plan in mind bring all the great memories.

Any idea which route Confrontation maps are gonna go?

Arsenic

Annnnd i disagree with you *EDIT* Doel, which is like the first time i ever disagreed with you (. those maps can make the game so slow and boring, or unfair for casual seals (except Sujo, of course).

to me, foxhunt and mixer are very well designed maps. so many levels and places to go, but none easy to camp on

Doel

Andokuky said:
Enowapi was way too one sided.

Night Stalker and Desert Glory FTW.
I've lost 6-0 on Enwapi against the well coordinated Seals team. The map wasn't too one sided, it just required more thinking on the Seal's part to work together and defeat the terrorists.

But its those kinds of risks and innovative design that really pushed the SOCOM maps up to a level of their own.

Arsenic

Sol.. said:
Thats whats wrong with shooters today. One map, 400 modes. Maps built with a single, unique plan in mind bring all the great memories.

It's going that bullshit one map, every mode possible route.

yes, im clenching my fists too.

Doel

Sol.. said:

I know the maps will support multiple modes, but my hope is that when designing the new maps they built each of them around a single mode and then added modes that made sense.

My biggest fear for this game out of anything else, is that they designed each of the new maps as a clean slate, to work with multiple modes. If thats the case, the new maps aren't going to feel any better then the maps found in other shooters like CoD.

n1n9tean

Banned
oneHeero said:
Hanet played either so same here :D

I'll send ya the invite ingame :) Showdown ok?

EDIT: haha I only have 5 days 8hrs :\ I thought 6 already :D
Honorable soldier. That you are, my friend.

To all who couldn't see the match: The guy is damn good. I can't even be mad at him anymore. :D

Map 1: Showdown

n1n9tean: 10
oneHeero: 2

Map 2: Shipment (or, as I always mistakingly call it, "BOX" :lol)
oneHeero: 24
n1n9tean: 17

I now call TRUCE. :D

Andokuky

Banned
Spawn sniping pretty much ruined Harvester for me. I forget which team spawns by the two houses and the Humvee but man they had it good on that map. 16 player version of course.

Nizz

So I've played and loved the GRAW games 1 and 2. Will a Socom newbie like me enjoy the series? From what I saw of the footage of Socom: Confrontation on the 1up show a couple of weeks back, I'm interested. How long does a typical match last? I know there are no respawns so every shot counts.

fps fanatic said:
So I've played and loved the GRAW games 1 and 2. Will a Socom newbie like me enjoy the series? From what I saw of the footage of Socom: Confrontation on the 1up show a couple of weeks back, I'm interested. How long does a typical match last? I know there are no respawns so every shot counts.

Match length really depends on the type of game being played (supression, demolition, etc.). I can't remember what the default time was per round. Maybe someone else can help out.

In terms of being a Socom newbie, yes you will enjoy the series. I came in with Socom 3 (all new maps from Socom II so everyone was on the same playing field so to speak). There will be new maps with Confrontation but Crossroads will return, which was a popular one in one of the older Socom titles. I imagine that us folk who are not Socom 1 and 2 vets will have a hard time with that particular map.

Nizz

Gamecocks625 said:
Match length really depends on the type of game being played (supression, demolition, etc.). I can't remember what the default time was per round. Maybe someone else can help out.

In terms of being a Socom newbie, yes you will enjoy the series. I came in with Socom 3 (all new maps from Socom II so everyone was on the same playing field so to speak). There will be new maps with Confrontation but Crossroads will return, which was a popular one in one of the older Socom titles. I imagine that us folk who are not Socom 1 and 2 vets will have a hard time with that particular map.
Cool man, thanks. Never tried a Socom game so I'm curious to try it out. ;)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
screenshot-05.jpg

screenshot-01.jpg

screenshot-02.jpg

screenshot-04.jpg

screenshot-07.jpg

screenshot-06.jpg

RobertM

A little bit off topic, but for some reason when I popped in my Socom 2 disk into PS3 it asked if I wanted to partition the drive for the game. It took up like 2 gigs, never happened beforehand.

Doel

Seems like there are new screen shots going up daily on SOCOM.com.

Confrontation is also at Playstation Day this week in Europe, so I'm hoping we get some new videos and new info. I REALLY want to see the online interface though.

I liked that night time jungle stage.

Unfortunately SOCOM crybabies hated it because they had to use nightvision or get merc'd. :D

"WAH! WAH! BUT I WANT TO RUN AND THROW GRENADES CHARLOTTE!" :lol

Top Bottom