• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

I only played through Southern Shelf, but I was impressed with it. It isn't quite as sharp as the console, the frame rate isn't as good, and the controls take getting used to, but I knew that going in. If given the option, I'll continue playing it on the 360, but this is still a good game for roadtrips away from my console. My main complaint with it is it seems easier than the console version. There are fewer enemies at a time and I've had a couple instances already where the enemy AI just stands around and lets me kill them. But otherwise, it seems pretty solid.

I just ran to Southern Shelf-Bay, where on console there are normally enemies on all sides of me. On the vita, however, I did not see more than 3 at a time. It's very noticeable when you run by enemies instead of killing them, and noticing that more do not spawn while the previous are on screen. This could end up really hurting the difficulty, as it makes running through enemies an easy and viable option rather than having to fight through them.

Most of the time I just see two or three. The most I saw at one time during the 2 hours I played was 6. After having played on console for a couple hundred hours, it is very noticeably easier.

If you want a challenge, this probably won't be for you, but if you just want a portable looter/shooter, then this will likely still get the job done.

Doesn't sound too hot, but I might still give it a shot.

BigDug13

Doesn't sound too hot, but I might still give it a shot.

Being slightly easier will just make the first playthrough a bit too easy when solo (or maybe just right based on your skill level) and will make TVHM and UVHM a little bit easier to manage which at times is a total bitch when trying to solo on the other platforms.

I think in the end, the balance might be better against the lower player count to have the spawn sizes nerfed a bit. It will just make playthrough 1 when you're level 1-32 possibly a bit too easy while making the next 2 playthroughs more managable for 1-2 players.

No reviews out for this?

Review copies just got sent out today, which doesn't bode well.

I just booted it up, doesn't seem terrible so far. The cutscenes are heavily compressed, with some pretty noticeable artifacting and pretty terrible audio. It looks surprisingly decent, especially on the Vita's screen (not to state the obvious, but whatever). Framerate seems about the same as the PS3 version so far, which is to say completely serviceable but not fantastic. It hits a pretty smooth 30 when not much is going on, and takes a hit when ever there's a bunch of particle effects/explosions/etc.

Rated-G

For people who want to keep their characters compatible with their PS+ version of BL2 with no DLC on PS3, make sure you do NOTdownload and install the Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack DLC on Vita. UVHUP raises the level cap and allows your character to exceed level 50 which will then make that character unplayable on PS3 without that same DLC purchased.

Just a PSA for those wanting to be able to swap characters between both devices.

(or just spend the $4.99 on PS3 to get the ultimate vault hunter upgrade pack 1)

Actually that's not entirely true, if you use a level 51 and up character on Vita with the corresponding DLC, and transfer it to vanilla PS3, when you select that character you will get a message stating that while the character is still usable, you do not have the DLC that increases the level cap, and thus will not be able to earn XP while you are using that character on that system. You can still use the character and be above level 50, you just can't gain XP until you return that character to the console that has the DLC/puchase that DLC on the system you're wanting to play on. It works the same way in the opposite direction as well.

Similarly if you're in DLC maps on the Vita when you save, if you transfer to vanilla PS3, you will get a message stating that because the character was saved in content you do not have on that system, you will instead be started in Windshear Waste when you select continue. Also works this way going from DLC PS3 to vanilla Vita. This is also how it works if you were to delete DLC from your PS3 or use your save on a buddy's PS3 that doesnt have DLC installed.

The character is still usable, you just won't be able to access DLC maps, and your DLC specific weapons will be removed from your inventory until you return to the platform with the DLC installed. Though, of course you won't be able to use Gaige or Krieg from your Vita on the PS3 without that content installed, otherwise you can totally take a level 60 Maya in Oasis and transfer her from your Vita to your non-DLC-ed PS3 game and continue to shoot around and stuff in the main game.

I think also, if you have skins from DLC and transfer your character to a system without that content, you will be equipped with the default head and skin. You can change it back when you return to the other system though.

BigDug13

Actually that's not entirely true, if you use a level 51 and up character on Vita with the corresponding DLC, and transfer it to vanilla PS3, when you select that character you will get a message stating that while the character is still usable, you do not have the DLC that increases the level cap, and thus will not be able to earn XP while you are using that character on that system. You can still use the character and be above level 50, you just can't gain XP until you return that character to the console that has the DLC/puchase that DLC on the system you're wanting to play on. It works the same way in the opposite direction as well.

Similarly if you're in DLC maps on the Vita when you save, if you transfer to vanilla PS3, you will get a message stating that because the character was saved in content you do not have on that system, you will instead be started in Windshear Waste when you select continue. Also works this way going from DLC PS3 to vanilla Vita. This is also how it works if you were to delete DLC from your PS3 or use your save on a buddy's PS3 that doesnt have DLC installed.

The character is still usable, you just won't be able to access DLC maps, and your DLC specific weapons will be removed from your inventory until you return to the platform with the DLC installed. Though, of course you won't be able to use Gaige or Krieg from your Vita on the PS3 without that content installed, otherwise you can totally take a level 60 Maya in Oasis and transfer her from your Vita to your non-DLC-ed PS3 game and continue to shoot around and stuff in the main game.

I think also, if you have skins from DLC and transfer your character to a system without that content, you will be equipped with the default head and skin. You can change it back when you return to the other system though.

Seems a bit worthless to be level 60 and only be able to shoot at and loot level 50 stuff though. Better to just spring for UVHM DLC for $5 on PS3 I guess.

RE_Player

Fewer enemies on screen is definitely worse for people who have experienced Borderlands 2 proper but I'm picking this up for my brother who is not as much of a gamer so the easier difficulty is better for him.

Rated-G

Seems a bit worthless to be level 60 and only be able to shoot at and loot level 50 stuff though. Better to just spring for UVHM DLC for $5 on PS3 I guess.

Yeah... at least you can still join a friend's game if they don't have that content though. ...and just be a god of destruction. I took a level 72 Maya into a friend's vanilla game to help him with Terramorphous because he had terrible gear. Sometimes being overpowered has it's perks. But yeah, it takes the challenge away.

ZeroAKA

My download is done! Not sure why people haven't been posting screenshots yet...
mcoDYFw.jpg

ZeroAKA

I played a bit as Maya in the PS3 version, so I decided to give Gaige a try this time around.
The game is definitely running in native res. Framerate doesn't seem as high as I remember the PS3 version to be, but it's not a problem at all right now. I just need to figure out how to get cross-save working.

Zeppeli

Banned
So this is only available to bundle purchasers for now, right?

Guess it's a good thing for me. I have to finish Ys, P4G, Guacamelee and a few others before I buy this.

newsguy

Yeah man give it all you've got. Don't give a second thought.
It probably won't be the worst thing you ever bought.

But what if it's all for naught? If the framerate is shit my mind will rot. Taking a pot shot at a guy with a head the size of a tater tot would suck a lot.

But what if it's all for naught? If the framerate is shit my mind will rot. Taking a pot shot at a guy with a head the size of a tater tot would suck a lot.

Hopefully the controls and frame rate hit the spot, it's not like anyone plays Borderlands for the plot.

AwRy108

Will you get banned if you get caught
posting in rhyme when the beat is hot?

OmegaZero

Killzone Mercenary has similar screen-size/resolution issues and I found it perfectly playable.
Granted, if the framerate is much worse in this, then getting a bead on someone will be problematic but so far it looks like it runs about the same as the PS3 version - if not a bit worse at times.

My download is done! Not sure why people haven't been posting screenshots yet...

Man that looks awesome to me.
I'm easy to please, I guess.

Also I have no frame of reference for what the console/PC version is like or how this compares (I realize it's obviously better) since I never played it.

Thinking this will be good enough for me.

I played a bit as Maya in the PS3 version, so I decided to give Gaige a try this time around.

The game is definitely running in native res. Framerate doesn't seem as high as I remember the PS3 version to be, but it's not a problem at all right now. I just need to figure out how to get cross-save working.

i'd buy that. looks great so far.

not too concerned about enemy numbers...

kevin1025

Banned
I played the first 30 minutes, and since I gave brief Vita 2000 impressions, I thought I'd give some Borderlands 2 impressions.

First off, it's Borderlands 2. If you have played it, it's still that exact game. For the size of screen, the game works fairly well at what it's doing, and while so far I haven't seen frame rate drops, I have seen what I would call frame drops. The best way I would describe it is I would be fighting a bullymong in the beginning, and then instead of slowdown, there would be a sudden frame jump and the enemy would be maybe a frame further than it was supposed to be. This has only happened once or twice, but it did catch my eye.

The controls were a little getting used to, but that is still me getting used to the Vita I think. The right stick is a little too fragile in terms of trying to aim perfectly on an enemy, but I'm sure there's a setting in there somewhere to fiddle with to fix that. The game controls fine apart from that though.

My one major gripe, though, is that the text in the menus (for weapon stats, etc.), is pretty small. I don't think I have bad eyesight (or do I?!), but the text comes off as a little too tiny. The main menu and all that sort of stuff is all good, but the stat screens and the tutorial icons that help guide you at the start can be a little hard to read.

Overall, I can see myself playing through the game again here. It plays fine, maybe not perfect, but fine. As the game that came with the Vita 2000, I think it is a cool thing to have. Just, god damn, it ate up a significant portion of that memory card...

SeanR1221

I played the first 30 minutes, and since I gave brief Vita 2000 impressions, I thought I'd give some Borderlands 2 impressions.

First off, it's Borderlands 2. If you have played it, it's still that exact game. For the size of screen, the game works fairly well at what it's doing, and while so far I haven't seen frame rate drops, I have seen what I would call frame drops. The best way I would describe it is I would be fighting a bullymong in the beginning, and then instead of slowdown, there would be a sudden frame jump and the enemy would be maybe a frame further than it was supposed to be. This has only happened once or twice, but it did catch my eye.

The controls were a little getting used to, but that is still me getting used to the Vita I think. The right stick is a little too fragile in terms of trying to aim perfectly on an enemy, but I'm sure there's a setting in there somewhere to fiddle with to fix that. The game controls fine apart from that though.

My one major gripe, though, is that the text in the menus (for weapon stats, etc.), is pretty small. I don't think I have bad eyesight (or do I?!), but the text comes off as a little too tiny. The main menu and all that sort of stuff is all good, but the stat screens and the tutorial icons that help guide you at the start can be a little hard to read.

Overall, I can see myself playing through the game again here. It plays fine, maybe not perfect, but fine. As the game that came with the Vita 2000, I think it is a cool thing to have. Just, god damn, it ate up a significant portion of that memory card...

Yeah the game takes up a BIG chunk.

Im going to be flying to Mexico this weekend, so I'll be playing Borderlands 2 on the plane and while my wife takes a couple hours to get ready each night. Should have it finished up by next week :)

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Want to ask for more opinions from people who owned the first Vita iteration. Would you recommend "upgrading" to this latest model?

If you don't mind a worst screen but better comfort, slimmed down build/better portability, slightly better battery life, along with better start/select buttons then the slim is for you.

I don't think it's that much of a worthy upgrade(at least not until they start bringing other colors to the US) but the Vita 2000 OT think it's borderline revolutionary lol.

Vita2000/slim OT here:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693529

Want to ask for more opinions from people who owned the first Vita iteration. Would you recommend "upgrading" to this latest model?

I imported a vita 2000 a few months ago. My answer is yes, definitely.

The LCD screen is definitely a downgrade, but everything else is a major upgrade IMHO.

Lighter, slimmer, better buttons, better battery life, more ergonomic, rear touchpad is less intrusive, and micro-usb charging is a huge boon.

kevin1025

Banned
I forgot to mention, the lack of enemies are noticeable. You get two, maybe three enemies at one time attacking you, and if you have played the game before, you can notice the difference. I would say this makes the game easier, but at the same time from what I can see from player health, it looks like the health of the character may have been worked on so that hits take more HP. So maybe there's a trade off there.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I forgot to mention, the lack of enemies are noticeable. You get two, maybe three enemies at one time attacking you, and if you have played the game before, you can notice the difference. I would say this makes the game easier, but at the same time from what I can see from player health, it looks like the health of the character may have been worked on so that hits take more HP. So maybe there's a trade off there.

Reminds me of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 where there's less enemies compared to NG2 on 360(waaay less tbh) but they do more damage or have more ways to OHKO you.

Top Bottom