• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Doel

Doc Evils said:
This is the PSN version don't forget. Zipper most likely is working on the real socom.
THIS is the real SOCOM.

Zipper isn't going to create anything remotely close to "the real" socom.

Doel

Doc Evils said:
Ok, history lesson.

Zipper are the ones who ruined SOCOM with SOCOM 3. Adding vehicles, large open maps, 32 players, etc.

Its pretty freaking obvious that Sony told Slant Six to make SOCOM Confrontation to appease the hardcore SOCOM fans like myself, while Zipper goes off and continues to do their own thing. Zipper had job postings a year ago, hiring people for a "large scale online game". I wouldn't be surprised if they are working on an MMO of some sort.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
faust said:
So in other words, you're passing your guess off as fact.

Well not really, It would seem that Zipper has intentions of upping the ante rather than going back (based on said job postings above that have been well known in the SOCOM community for like 2 years now). This is where Slant Six comes in. Perhaps their work allows Zipper to go big and go different (the people that run that company are very outgoing people). Otherwise whats the point in letting two different studios make essentially the same game.

I totally expect a CoD like spin in terms of series direction. Now i don't mean to say SOCOM goes WW2 or some shit. But i'm thinking SOCOM: Planetside style. I really do. Now that IS a guess lol.

Doel

Sol.. said:
Well not really, It would seem that Zipper has intentions of upping the ante rather than going back (based on said job postings above that have been well known in the SOCOM community for like 2 years now). This is where Slant Six comes in. Perhaps their work allows Zipper to go big and go different (the people that run that company are very outgoing people). Otherwise whats the point in letting two different studios make essentially the same game.

I totally expect a CoD like spin in terms of series direction. Now i don't mean to say SOCOM goes WW2 or some shit. But i'm thinking SOCOM: Planetside style. I really do. Now that IS a guess lol.
Ya, I'm completely expecting SOCOM: Planetside.

And like you said, it would make no sense for Sony to hire two separate studios to create essentially the same game. It doesn't take much brain capacity to figure out that Slant Six creating SOCOM for the hardcore fans = freeing Zipper up to follow their dream of large scale warfare.

f3niks

Doel said:
Ya, I'm completely expecting SOCOM: Planetside.

And like you said, it would make no sense for Sony to hire two separate studios to create essentially the same game. It doesn't take much brain capacity to figure out that Slant Six creating SOCOM for the hardcore fans = freeing Zipper up to follow their dream of large scale warfare.

Oddly enough that idea intrigues me quite a bit but at the same time they should probably drop the Socom name considering that go against everything the first game and even the SEALs are about.

GQman2121

Banned
I posted this on the games official board, but the people there are pretty fucking clueless/bias to understand it.

GQ said:
I do not like the idea of them simply recreating two of the classic maps to only house a max of 16 players. That pretty much means that those two maps are going to be completely isolated from the rest of the game. If you're in the room with over 16 people playing, those two maps are never going to come up - EVER.

What that means is, clans and people getting together may gravitate away from the 32 player rooms altogether, as the smaller rooms are going to have more diversity. Why segregate and limit the communities options like that?

It really seems -- dare I say -- like a quick/lazy way to add two more maps that were not previously apart of the plan last summer. It would seem much more beneficial to the overall experience if all of the maps were on the same page. They should rethink this current approach and contemplate whether the tradeoff of shipping with two less maps, and reworking them like Crossroads is worth it.

I understand five maps is not a lot, and they're certainly going to take some flack in the reviews for only having seven maps at launch, but messing with the player limit is a fine line, and quite the risk; one which I don't think makes much sense in the scope of how this game was/is shaping up.

I really disagree with the idea of simply copying the classic maps and not recreating them to work with the 32 players. It's setting a precedent that I don't think they're prepared to deal with.

On the plus side, this must be a dream come true for those of you wanting the first two games remade in HD. Congrats are in order I guess because I know it's a large number of people who wanted just that. I mean they've pretty much just confirmed that the game is going to be 16 players max now. Once the developers see that 16 player rooms are what the community is playing the most, there's no chance they're going to give the Crossroads makeover to the other 20+ classic maps. NO CHANCE.

It's a shame because I was already in the frame of mind where I was thinking of what they could add to the classic maps to work with 32 players. All to waste now.........

Andokuky

Banned
LOL @ this game being the "real SOCOM" or made for the hardcore SOCOM fans. Did you guys miss the picture of Crossroads I posted?

2468947150_b52134446d.jpg

That really far off building you see with the lion statue or whatever it is on top is the one from the other pictures everyone is laughing about. On the website where I got this pic they said you can get to virtually every building in the pic.

That isn't "real" SOCOM. That isn't what I, as a hardcore SOCOM fan want. This is the same huge ass map SOCOM 3/CA crap. I'm sure every lobby will degenerate into the same bullshit too, where all anyone plays are 16 player small versions of maps, and it will only be 2-3 maps because the rest will be god awful. And that was with SOCOM 3 and CA's many maps. This game isn't even shipping with many maps.

When you design a map for multiple modes and multiple sizes, it's going to turn into shit. SOCOM 1 and 2 were all about the maps, SOCOM 3 and CA sucking so bad weren't even about the 32 players and vehicles for me, it was because the map design was just awful. There was no personality to any of the maps, no uniqueness, just bland huge open maps and crunched up little mini versions of them for 16 players. And virtually every one of them had spawn problems because they were so horribly designed.

This game looks to have the same shit map setups, and then to top it off it looks downright horrible and has massive frame rate problems. Everyone says the original SOCOM's looked like ass but I don't think so. They weren't amazing but they looked pretty good for a PS2 game. This just looks like ass.

Doel

Andokuky said:
LOL @ this game being the "real SOCOM" or made for the hardcore SOCOM fans. Did you guys miss the picture of Crossroads I posted?

2468947150_b52134446d.jpg

That really far off building you see with the lion statue or whatever it is on top is the one from the other pictures everyone is laughing about. On the website where I got this pic they said you can get to virtually every building in the pic.

That isn't "real" SOCOM. That isn't what I, as a hardcore SOCOM fan want. This is the same huge ass map SOCOM 3/CA crap. I'm sure every lobby will degenerate into the same bullshit too, where all anyone plays are 16 player small versions of maps, and it will only be 2-3 maps because the rest will be god awful. And that was with SOCOM 3 and CA's many maps. This game isn't even shipping with many maps.

When you design a map for multiple modes and multiple sizes, it's going to turn into shit. SOCOM 1 and 2 were all about the maps, SOCOM 3 and CA sucking so bad weren't even about the 32 players and vehicles for me, it was because the map design was just awful. There was no personality to any of the maps, no uniqueness, just bland huge open maps and crunched up little mini versions of them for 16 players. And virtually every one of them had spawn problems because they were so horribly designed.

This game looks to have the same shit map setups, and then to top it off it looks downright horrible and has massive frame rate problems. Everyone says the original SOCOM's looked like ass but I don't think so. They weren't amazing but they looked pretty good for a PS2 game. This just looks like ass.
I agree with most of what you said, I'm just not as pessimistic about it as you seem to be. I'm giving the game a shot, and I know some people who are working on this game who are ones that hated what SOCOM 3 did and loved SOCOM 1/2. So I have confidence its going to turn out better than you think it will.

And it will be a hell of a lot closer to "real" Socom than what Zipper is working on.

Saiyu

Doel said:
I agree with most of what you said, I'm just not as pessimistic about it as you seem to be. I'm giving the game a shot, and I know some people who are working on this game who are ones that hated what SOCOM 3 did and loved SOCOM 1/2. So I have confidence its going to turn out better than you think it will.

And it will be a hell of a lot closer to "real" Socom than what Zipper is working on.

I'm hoping that's the case. The way I see it is that with the focus on such a small amount of maps in he beginning, they can add the character that was missing in virtually all maps from S3 upwards.

J-Rzez

What's wrong with them originally designing the maps around 16 players first, then expanding them? This is what they did with "xroads". The way they described their process in this, I have little room to think they're going to screw up. The game should be able to fit 16 player, and for those liking the larger scale 32 player matches just fine. It caters WELL to both with their approach. Not like other companies going large scale first then throwing barriers in the streets just to call it a day for the smaller groups.

Doel

J-Rzez said:
What's wrong with them originally designing the maps around 16 players first, then expanding them? This is what they did with "xroads". The way they described their process in this, I have little room to think they're going to screw up. The game should be able to fit 16 player, and for those liking the larger scale 32 player matches just fine. It caters WELL to both with their approach. Not like other companies going large scale first then throwing barriers in the streets just to call it a day for the smaller groups.
Not to mention that 2 out of the 7 maps will be 16 players max. Presumably being the 2 additional classic maps they are adding.

GQman2121

Banned
That picture of Crossroads is highly exaggerated. You can't literally get on top of each of those roofs.

They mentioned in the IGN preview that the biggest map in Confrontation is no larger than the smallest map in Socom 3.

Saiyu

Has there been anything on the actual gunplay yet? I mean is it keeping the old SOCOM health system (please) or giving in to this bloody "enery recovery" system like CoD?

GQman2121

Banned
Saiyu said:
Has there been anything on the actual gunplay yet? I mean is it keeping the old SOCOM health system (please) or giving in to this bloody "enery recovery" system like CoD?

It's not a respawn game. If you get shot - you die.

Doel

GQman2121 said:
It's not a respawn game. If you get shot - you die.
I think he is just asking if your health regenerates like in so many shooters today.

The answer is no. There is still a bit of a health bar like SOCOM 3, but from the videos it looks like 3-5 shots anywhere and you're down.

Arsenic

Agent Ironside said:
A lot of socomers are missing out on COD 4 hardcore mode, that has reminded me most of what socom used to be.
Still wasnt as organized as socom was, in terms of spawning and map design.

J-Rzez

Agent Ironside said:
A lot of socomers are missing out on COD 4 hardcore mode, that has reminded me most of what socom used to be.

Not even close to the way SOCOM 3 was, let alone S1 and 2. Not the same feeling, the speed is still just a tad too fast, the maps feel thrown together, and it's just the overall feel of the gameplay. Games have shifted to try to be like SOCOM (Ghost Recon), but fail miserably (not saying CoD4 tried to be like it, because it's the furthest thing from SOCOM as a present day shooter can get). SOCOM has it's own unique feel, design, and gameplay that makes it truly unique.

Saiyu

Doel said:
I think he is just asking if your health regenerates like in so many shooters today.

The answer is no. There is still a bit of a health bar like SOCOM 3, but from the videos it looks like 3-5 shots anywhere and you're down.

Cheers, now I hope for no wonky hit boxes (as if that could ever happen again....)

J-Rzez said:
Not even close to the way SOCOM 3 was, let alone S1 and 2. Not the same feeling, the speed is still just a tad too fast, the maps feel thrown together, and it's just the overall feel of the gameplay. Games have shifted to try to be like SOCOM (Ghost Recon), but fail miserably (not saying CoD4 tried to be like it, because it's the furthest thing from SOCOM as a present day shooter can get). SOCOM has it's own unique feel, design, and gameplay that makes it truly unique.

When I say that, im talking about the mode, no respawn, demolition, things of that nature. Also personally, I think COD4's maps are really well designed.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Agent Ironside said:
When I say that, im talking about the mode, no respawn, demolition, things of that nature. Also personally, I think COD4's maps are really well designed.

I think they were well design for team deathmatch, especially with beta's respawn style (if it weren't for those stalemates and spawn camping.....they just might have kept the system).

In hardcore search n' destroy (lovingly dubbed SOCOM mode by my long lasting SOCOM buddies), it wasn't very good. There were no chokepoints, the speed of the game was too high, and there was way too much flow for a no respawn game. Everybody would just run out and get wasted in random places where as in SOCOM (and pretty much any other no respawn oriented game) the maps are built for people to flow through specific areas and have heated firefights.

EDIT: now that i look at more screenshots you know what i'm worried about? All the elevated terrain. No so much in a "somebody can see over everything" kind of a way but in a Battlefield Bad Company "Theres fucking people in every window covered by fucking shitty dark lighting raining lead on everything that moves" kind of way. I hope there are windowless walkways everywhere and those buildings are just buildings for people to fight in or cover main routes with.

tuco11

I hope $39.99 is cheap to you. With only 7 maps it should be no more than $19.99 but we all know there is not a chance in hell of that happening :lol

Greg

tuco11 said:
I hope $39.99 is cheap to you. With only 7 maps it should be no more than $19.99 but we all know there is not a chance in hell of that happening :lol
You don't deserve SOCOM.

Andokuky

Banned
Sol.. said:
I think they were well design for team deathmatch, especially with beta's respawn style (if it weren't for those stalemates and spawn camping.....they just might have kept the system).

In hardcore search n' destroy (lovingly dubbed SOCOM mode by my long lasting SOCOM buddies), it wasn't very good. There were no chokepoints, the speed of the game was too high, and there was way too much flow for a no respawn game. Everybody would just run out and get wasted in random places where as in SOCOM (and pretty much any other no respawn oriented game) the maps are built for people to flow through specific areas and have heated firefights.

CoD4 maps have plenty of choke points. Especially in S&D.

I know because I get kills by lobbing grenades there all the time.

Andokuky said:
When you design a map for multiple modes and multiple sizes, it's going to turn into shit.

I can't really comment on SOCOM in that context, but I do think that Warhawk is a brilliant example of maps with multiple modes and multiple sizes.

Doel

BruceWayneIII said:
I can't really comment on SOCOM in that context, but I do think that Warhawk is a brilliant example of maps with multiple modes and multiple sizes.
I completely disagree.

I think Warhawk is a very poor multiplayer game. I'm continually amazed that there are lots of people on their servers. I guess its just a very pick up and play kind of experience, but I see no depth to it at all and when I play it I can't stand to be on longer than 10min.

Madman

Doel said:
I completely disagree.

I think Warhawk is a very poor multiplayer game. I'm continually amazed that there are lots of people on their servers. I guess its just a very pick up and play kind of experience, but I see no depth to it at all and when I play it I can't stand to be on longer than 10min.
Warhawk has no depth? I hope you say this as someone who dominates in the game.

oneHeero

Doel said:
I completely disagree.

Wow, I lose respect for your opinions on Socom Confrontation now :( Warhawk is great in so many ways. I'd say the servers are dead, because if the game wasnt fucking up in the beginning of its life, tons more people would still be playing it.

That game was pure fun.

Doel

oneHeero said:
Wow, I lose respect for your opinions on Socom Confrontation now :( Warhawk is great in so many ways. I'd say the servers are dead, because if the game wasnt fucking up in the beginning of its life, tons more people would still be playing it.

That game was pure fun.
The game just isn't fun for me. I can't pretend to enjoy it.

When I'm in large battles, it feels like we're all just running around and there is absolutely no order. The game is actually more fun with less people (like 4v4), but in that scenario I'm stuck wondering whats the point when I can just go play SOCOM 2 or CoD4 and have more fun.

And it's not like I suck. I'm decent at the game. And when you're good at a game yet not having fun, you know there is a problem.

Andokuky said:
CoD4 maps have plenty of choke points. Especially in S&D.

I know because I get kills by lobbing grenades there all the time.

Especially Crash, major choke points, your livin the life if your a smart grenade whore in that one, not all the maps have choke points like that, neither did some socom maps, blood lake to name one.

Doel

Woah, check out this video interview.

It's really impressive how they have used sixaxis in this game. Looks super intuitive. Also, if you check out the tv near the end, there is a dude running around swiping his knife. So this confirms knife kills are in the game!

Mideon

This looks brilliant I loved S2 I just hope it comes out on the Euro store the same day as the US Store.

Anyone heard if they are releasing it on both stores on the same day?

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:
Woah, check out this video interview.

It's really impressive how they have used sixaxis in this game. Looks super intuitive. Also, if you check out the tv near the end, there is a dude running around swiping his knife. So this confirms knife kills are in the game!

Actually it looks pretty good now, they have self-shadowing on the characters, that's something I always look for in terms of graphics. Teh animations look smooth enough but it doesn't look long-winded that it can negatively affect gameplay, I always like short animations for melee and stuff instead of taking ten seconds to execute a kill.
gladtomeetya.gif

Top Bottom