• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

J-Rzez

Kittonwy said:
Actually it looks pretty good now, they have self-shadowing on the characters, that's something I always look for in terms of graphics. Teh animations look smooth enough but it doesn't look long-winded that it can negatively affect gameplay, I always like short animations for melee and stuff instead of taking ten seconds to execute a kill.
gladtomeetya.gif

Correct, save the animations for where they count... Victory Dances!!!

Greg

I'm just crossing my fingers for a locked framerate and some great netcode.

The game looks so fucking sexy right now... they did a damn good job replicating the core mechanics/feel of the first two games, and that's really all I wanted.

Doel

Ya, part 2 of the interview is up on Gametrailers. More good stuff and finally a peak at the in-between rounds screen (which shows each player's Kills, Deaths, Suicides). Sure, none of you think its anything special but for some reason the menus/interface are always something I'm interested in seeing, especially in a new SOCOM.

Andokuky

Banned
Wow, breakable car glass!! omg

It was awesome to see Crossroads next gen, but of course it was the big huge shit version. I don't like the little diamond icons showing you where your teammates are either, or the between round screen. Very basic. I wish they would bring back the one from game one with hit %, bullets fired, hits etc etc or whatever it showed.

edit: MGO :lol Get that shit out of here.

J-Rzez

JB1981 said:
Um .... that looks almost terrifyingly bad. I'll play MGO. Thx.

Yeah dude, I'll see you there! Yeah right, lol.

Pre-Alpha footage man, I'm sure it'll get tuned up. It's looking better than I expected so far, so I have faith in them to make a good SOCOM. If this isn't the king, doesn't make the cut, then there's always R2 for a more than solid back up heh

Doel

Meh, I really don't care what random people say. Everything I've read from Friday's event is saying the game is running really smooth, looking really good, and playing great. And I personally think it looks great, but at least I know I'm not delusional in thinking so from people who have actually had time with the game.

tuco11

Ok I am just watching part one and did I hear that correctly "armor system" ? Are you f'n kidding me? WTF? Yeah that is catering to the hardcore Socom 1 &2 fans. :lol

Doel

tuco11 said:
Ok I am just watching part one and did I hear that correctly "armor system" ? Are you f'n kidding me? WTF? Yeah that is catering to the hardcore Socom 1 &2 fans. :lol
You need to have ALL THE INFO before passing judgment.

Taken from this post and the ensuing comments from Seth Luisi

Is there armor? If so, is it purely cosmetic or will it affect your health?

Yes, there is armor in the game. It is not purely cosmetic. It will affect both how much damage you take and how quickly you move. However, it is not going to make you invincible or take 10 hits to bring down. Even with heavy armor, you still take less hits before you die compared to SOCOM 3! Also, one shot to the head and your round is over.

Seth Luisi replied on
05.14.08 10:10 PM

If you are not as slow as someone wearing armor, then you are faster. I really don't understand your point here.

The effect which armor will have is not going to be as drastic as some people think. You are not going to be able to turn into a tank by loading up on armor.

Seth Luisi replied on
05.15.08 06:16 AM

The armor slows down both your run speed and your sprint speed. You cannot use sprint as a cheat to avoid the encumbrance.

Also, you are at a huge disadvantage if you are sprinting and the enemy has you in their sites. You're dead unless you get to cover fast.

Seth Luisi replied on
05.14.08 11:24 PM

We've had the armor in the game for some time and have been testing it with our QA group. Basically, normal players are just picking the armor which they feel looks best, "unless" they want to play a specific role like getting to the satchel first (lightest armor) or defending the bomb plant point (heavy armor).

So far, armor has been a good addition to the game. It is not over done like other games out there but it does mean something if you do want a slight edge in a specific role.

At first the idea of armor in SOCOM sounds horrible (since the way its been done in games before is the kind of thing that would not fit in a SOCOM game). But the way they seem to be handling it is very good.

tuco11

Seriously, if you were charge of making a new Socom and wanted to stay true to the hardcore fans of Socom 1 & 2 do you say to yourself "Lets put armor on some of the characters" Cmon, give me a f'n break.

Ramirez

Armor? Errr...

The crosshair was turning red in the video I watched, not sure what you mean TOB. That animation is rough, but oh well, never was about the graphics with this series. :p

Well it looks a bit crap, but it wouldn't be SOCOM if it didn't.

I appreciate the crosshair freebies being absent in the video.

Your crosshair going red when sweeping for enemies was the biggest can of bullshit in SOCOM, and I hope it doesn't find it's way back into this game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Doel said:
Meh, I really don't care what random people say. Everything I've read from Friday's event is saying the game is running really smooth, looking really good, and playing great. And I personally think it looks great, but at least I know I'm not delusional in thinking so from people who have actually had time with the game.

How can you believe them when you can see how bad it runs in that GT video? That's exactly how it run back in London when I told you it was a mess. And believe me there are spots where it gets even worse.

Final game will sure run fine. This is pre-Alpha code anyways. But as a fan as SOCOM as you are (I love reading your posts and blog) you should be the one bitching the most about this.

I love you.

Norml

JB1981 said:
Um .... that looks almost terrifyingly bad. I'll play MGO. Thx.

Other way around for me. MGO is cool but your slow as a turtle and shooting feels so gimped its just not fun.

Doel

TTP said:
How can you believe them when you can see how bad it runs in that GT video? That's exactly how it run back in London when I told you it was a mess. And believe me there are spots where it gets even worse.

Final game will sure run fine. This is pre-Alpha code anyways. But as a fan as SOCOM as you are (I love reading your posts and blog) you should be the one bitching the most about this.

I love you.
Honestly I thought it was running fine. Maybe I have the SOCOM fanboy blinders on, but I didn't notice any major hiccups with the exception of the Seal taking off like superman at the end of the first GT video, but thats obviously something that would be worked out before they game hits.

J-Rzez

I'm not sure how much I like the armor system, but if they really balance it out as much as they're saying, then maybe it wouldn't be too bad. I always belonged to the "More head than dead" club anyways having vastly more headshots alone in the game than deaths. :lol

It does look to run a little weird, but I'm not holding it against it, especially with "Pre-Alpha Build" on the screen. They know they need to get this series up to today's par, I'm sure they'll get it running the way it should.

Graphics aren't that spectacular, but the lighting looks good in some of those shots. Warhawk wasn't the most impressive looker out there either, but it ran and played like butter so it rocked. I expect no different here.

I still have some blind faith in them yet though that they'll make SOCOM the best online shooter out there as they are solely concentrating on that.

And, I believe we should be able to find out what Zipper is doing soon. They've been quiet far too long now. It must be something huge. Hopefully E3 or whatever it is now will shed some light.

Doel

If I have to read another comment on Kotaku or GameTrailers that says this game is copying GRAW, I'm going to go insane...

tuco11

That new 3rd person view is exactly the same as GRAW. That view shouldn't be in Socom as well :lol . Sorry, I couldn't help it. :lol

J-Rzez

Doel said:
If I have to read another comment on Kotaku or GameTrailers that says this game is copying GRAW, I'm going to go insane...

Here's a tip, don't read Kotaku, ever.

Gametrailers has no idea what they're talking about as Ghost Recon saw a shift in Clancy games to mimic SOCOM's gameplay/style to an extent. They're really not giving this franchise enough credit, like they forgot it sold millions on the PS2, but then again, that's just it. It's a Playstation franchise.

That view, if what they're talking about, big deal. So many games use that view it's not even funny.

I wish I could get in the beta test for this game though. I'd really love to throw in my 2cents on flaws if they're there in the game. I want this to be the glorious return of the king.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Hey Doel,

I was reading your OP again, more specifically the email you sent to the devs, and noticed that most of your suggestions DIDN'T make it. You rightly suggested to design each map around one game mode, but we are getting SEVEN. You have suggested to take out Encumbrance but it's there. And I have this feeling the game will allow respawns where it shouldn't considering most people out there just hate to die and wait.

So, considering the game is not that far off now, what's your feeling about it?

dralla

I want to see a video of a 16 player game, demolition, no respawns, and classic camera. The new camera looks fucking awful

Doel

TTP said:
Hey Doel,

I was reading your OP again, more specifically the email you sent to the devs, and noticed that most of your suggestions DIDN'T make it. You rightly suggested to design each map around one game mode, but we are getting SEVEN. You have suggested to take out Encumbrance but it's there. And I have this feeling the game will allow respawns where it shouldn't considering most people out there just hate to die and wait.

So, considering the game is not that far off now, what's your feeling about it?
7 mode per map - Not happy, but Slant Six is aware we wanted it. So we'll see if any of the new maps can actually hold a candle to classic 1 & 2 maps.

Encumbrance - They are implementing it properly (if you drop/use something you become lighter). So it doesn't bother me as much.

And you don't need to worry about the respawn thing. The only reason they keep showing it at events is because they don't want the media sitting at the tv for 4min after they die. The game's main focus is still the round-based play.

Ramirez

Kabuki Waq said:
videos looked pretty awful...whats up with the crap animation?

The animation was crap in the old games, honestly, if you're playing Socom for graphics, you're playing the wrong game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ramirez said:
The animation was crap in the old games, honestly, if you're playing Socom for graphics, you're playing the wrong game.

Actually... the animation was extremely good last gen. Compared to other military shooters, Socom had the best animation. Socom animation even held up against the the Ghost Recon games when they eventually went third person.

Unfortunately... Slat Six apparently didn't feel like putting the time in to bring Socom animation into the next gen. It's pretty awful looking right now... they had a good model to build from and they hardly improved anything. Sixaxis lean n' peek is nice... the sprint is fine... everything else is straight out of the old games. Some of it even looks worse.

Pretty big disappointment. Player speed looks too fast as well, and that just compounds the animation issues.

I watch it and it looks like an arcade game.

JB1981

personally i think the game looks absolutely terrible. looks like the people who think this look s good are basing that purely on nostalgia - what could you guys possible like about the footage shown so far?

Doel

JB1981 said:
personally i think the game looks absolutely terrible. looks like the people who think this look s good are basing that purely on nostalgia - what could you guys possible like about the footage shown so far?
Or from people who have actually played it and seen it in person.

neonglow said:
Is this still a downloadable title or will there be a retail SKU?
Both. Retail SKU will come with a new blue tooth headset they haven't shown yet, but apparently its supposed to be a lot higher quality than the Warhawk one.

Kittonwy

Banned
Ramirez said:

I don't get the whole "oh it's SOCOM it doesn't need great graphics, oh it's SOCOM it doesn't need great animations", if they want to stay at the same quality as it was on the PS2, why not make a fucking PS2 game? You put it on the PS3, then there's an expectation that it will make use of some of the things that the PS3 allows a developer to do, that things will look better, sound better, animate better, have better online community features.

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:

I think some things are there, some things are not, animations aren't there yet, lighting/shadowing is almost there, character models aren't quite there yet, it's a bit of a mixed bag right now, but it's still WIP.

It's SOCOM, it's a big franchise, they need to treat it like a big franchise instead of like a niche franchise with a limited number of hardcore fans, I don't understand why some don't want the game to be better, to have better animations, to have better graphics, to have better community features.

Teknoman

Kittonwy said:
I think some things are there, some things are not, animations aren't there yet, lighting/shadowing is almost there, character models aren't quite there yet, it's a bit of a mixed bag right now, but it's still WIP.

It's SOCOM, it's a big franchise, they need to treat it like a big franchise instead of like a niche franchise with a limited number of hardcore fans, I don't understand why some don't want the game to be better, to have better animations, to have better graphics, to have better community features.

They got busted with a nostalgia bat. I mean complaining because of body armor?

LJ11

recklessmind said:
Actually... the animation was extremely good last gen. Compared to other military shooters, Socom had the best animation. Socom animation even held up against the the Ghost Recon games when they eventually went third person.

Unfortunately... Slat Six apparently didn't feel like putting the time in to bring Socom animation into the next gen. It's pretty awful looking right now... they had a good model to build from and they hardly improved anything. Sixaxis lean n' peek is nice... the sprint is fine... everything else is straight out of the old games. Some of it even looks worse.

Pretty big disappointment. Player speed looks too fast as well, and that just compounds the animation issues.

I watch it and it looks like an arcade game.

You pretty much summed my reaction after watching that video. :(

Andokuky

Banned
Yeah... the speed just looks way too fast, and the addition of sprint seems pretty lame as well. Throw in armor, huge ass maps designed around a whole lot of modes, average at best graphics, frame rate apparently not too solid either... Not expecting much of anything from this game anymore.

Kittonwy

Banned
Andokuky said:
Yeah... the speed just looks way too fast, and the addition of sprint seems pretty lame as well. Throw in armor, huge ass maps designed around a whole lot of modes, average at best graphics, frame rate apparently not too solid either... Not expecting much of anything from this game anymore.

I happen to like sprint.

Framerate should get ironed out when they ship the game, the graphics I'm not sure if they will improve much, maybe they don't have the budget to hire too many artists.

I don't mind big maps as long as the modes are well-balanced, although I don't think that crossroads map is THAT big.

Not a big fan of body armor... not a big fan of having to fiddle around with different load-outs either... but then I just like everybody with the same access to weapons and mobility. I think it should turn out alright, although I'm hoping for a great PS3 game which I'm not sure Slant Six can deliver without a AAA budget, and it ain't easy even with a AAA budget.

GQman2121

Banned
The beta is going to make or break this game for me. You can see the COD influences in there because it's such a huge seller that, that large number of shooting fans can't be brushed aside and ignored.

I just hope this armor, open mic, party system thing pans out like they're saying it will. If it doesn't the series is dead.

Sniping better be one shot one kill; armor be damned.......

Kittonwy

Banned
GQman2121 said:
The beta is going to make or break this game for me. You can see the COD influences in there because it's such a huge seller that, that large number of shooting fans can't be brushed aside and ignored.

I just hope this armor, open mic, party system thing pans out like they're saying it will. If it doesn't the series is dead.

Sniping better be one shot one kill; armor be damned.......

Headshots are still one-hit-kills, as they should be.

Party system is ALWAYS a good thing, not sure about the open mic, I don't really want the rival team listening in when I call out their locations or indicate strategies to my teammates.

They need to have a beta. I think the game should be good, whether it will be great or not will depend on whether Slant Six can polish dat shit up.
Indifferent2.gif

GQman2121

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I happen to like sprint.

I've come around to the idea after seeing how slow the normal ready mode is with your gun up. It's significantly slower looking in the vids than any of the previous games IMO.

They can keep that knife shit though. I've never been pro knife in Socom.

Both of these features are clearly taken from Cod, which is kind of sad.

2real4tv

I don't understand the point of making a PSN only Socom its just taking too long and for the length of time it is taking the graphics are not looking to hot.

Kittonwy

Banned
2real4tv said:
I don't understand the point of making a PSN only Socom its just taking too long and for the length of time it is taking the graphics are not looking to hot.

SOCOM Confrontation is not PSN-only, it's for both PSN and retail. Like I said before, it's SOCOM, it's a big franchise, I would rather if they don't do a smaller MP-only title but instead do a proper sequel with both SP campaign and a comprehensive MP. That said, I don't think it's bad-looking, there are few things they need to improve on before release, like the character models, and the textures need to hold up better, and the animations need to improve, when the characters run and turn, they need to lean a bit more and show a bit more weight in their movements.

VaLiancY

Armor? Melee? What the fuck? I know they want to introduce more people to the series but for love of God, can something appeal to the regular fans? I'm not talking about hardcore either, I wasn't the best player and haven't gave a shit about SOCOM since the 2nd game but what I loved about SOCOM was that it was a simple third person shooter. As long as they don't do rechargeable health I can retain my sanity.

mr stroke

VaLiancY said:
Armor? Melee? What the fuck? I know they want to introduce more people to the series but for love of God, can something appeal to the regular fans? I'm not talking about hardcore either, I wasn't the best player and haven't gave a shit about SOCOM since the 2nd game but what I loved about SOCOM was that it was a simple third person shooter. As long as they don't do rechargeable health I can retain my sanity.

yes this seems weird to me, considering this one is supposed to be "fan service" and "back to sc1 and sc2" style I am suprised they are doing this. Hopefully it plays like 2

Top Bottom