• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: So I finally got around to playing Uncharted...

Kittonwy

Banned
x3n05 said:
If Uncharted's gameplay is so revolutionary, why did they use a cheap QTE as the end game?

I thought the game was good but certainly not great. Had great eye candy but the actual gameplay was very generic and repetitive, and I felt extremely robbed by the ending.

It's really not a QTE per se, it's just the same effective brutal combo the player has been using for the bulk of the game.

Uncharted is a third-person shooter first and foremost, yes you have platforming, and yes you have puzzles, but it's mostly a shooter with a more versatile cover system than any game out there, in terms of gunplay it's handled better than most on the market, but you're still shooting dudes like 70% of the time.

Now if that's not your thing, then that's not your thing, but what the game does in terms of gunplay, it does it very well, on a fundamental level, in terms of great level design with lots of versatile cover and enemies who actually have good AI who are able to both use cover and take away your cover by pinning the player down as well as going around and flanking the player, if you're looking for those qualities, you might find some of that in Gears but the enemies are not as smart, and in 3rd person shooter games like Dark Sector or Army of Two, you're just not going to find the same level of gunplay.

senahorse

Kittonwy said:
It's really not a QTE per se, it's just the same effective brutal combo the player has been using for the bulk of the game.

Granted, but weren't you expecting more for the finale? I was left
standing on the boat
waiting for something else to happen, just felt sloppy imo.

rod

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Go play Uncharted first before you comment, I've played both games.
Indifferent2.gif

thats funny. last i checked, i finished uncharted. its actually cod4 i didnt finish. i dont make baseless and/or retardedly biased alllegations like someone else, because im not hogging on microsofts or sonys nuts.

uncharted doesnt make gears, cod4, heck, any good looking game of this gen look like a "piece of shit". try and speak for once without being a biased idiot.

ElyrionX

Marconelly said:
Why not? It's just a different type enemy, and one that's pretty easy to avoid. As long as you roll every once in a while, they can't hit you, and you have plenty of time to shoot them before they shoot you. Their aiming time is pretty generous I thought.

I didn't think AI was unfairly accurate at all, especially on Normal. Don't know what to tell you about that, as I think they are some of the most fun AI to fight against. The only weak and imprecise automatic weapon was AK47, and it's pretty clear why it had to be like that - you get it early on, and it has large amount of ammo. If you could kill an enemy with just 1-2 bullets from that gun (which you technically still can with a headshot) it's ammo would last you forever - which is just not how the game is balanced. It requires you to constantly move around to get better position on enemies, and replenish ammo. It's the way it works, and the reason to utilize you character's speed and agility.

Even still, other than AK47, I found Uzi and M16 to be both precise and powerful, but you get those much later in the game.

The red laser guys were easy to get used to after a while, I'll admit. I mean, you just got to learn not to expose your head for too long and you're safe. But I still think that one-shot-one-kill type of guys should have no place at all on Normal difficulty in any game.

Large amount of ammo on the AK-47? You've got to be kidding me. If I had the starting 9mm and the AK-47 with the maximum amount of ammo that I can carry for both, I can probably kill twice the number of enemies with the 9mm than the AK-47. That kind of defeats the point of carrying an AK-47 isn't it? It's just very very poor weapon balance. An automatic weapon should be your main gun and the pistol should be a backup just like how it is in real life and in every other game with shooting mechanics. But in Uncharted, your pistol is your main gun and the rifle is the backup.

For a game that places such a heavy emphasis on gun fights, it would have been nice if you could carry more ammo for your automatic weapons so you could use those more. But instead, you run out of ammo so quickly that you don't use it very often and it just becomes tiring to run all over the damn place to find ammo for your guns after EVERY fight.

While the M4 was A LOT more satisfying to use compared to the Uzi and the AK47, I still find it to be lacking in terms of the audio and visual feedback.

zoukka

Stop with the ammo whine please. It's a core element of the game to constantly switch between weapons, conserve ammo and even hand to hand smack pirates around. The game would quickly become a chore if you had too much ammunition.

And of course the guys with the laser sights kill you in one shot. That's their purpose in this game. They aren't very accurate and mobile so it would make no sense it they didn't kill you with one hit.

Kittonwy

Banned
rod said:
thats funny. last i checked, i finished uncharted. its actually cod4 i didnt finish. i dont make baseless and/or retardedly biased alllegations like someone else, because im not hogging on microsofts or sonys nuts.

uncharted doesnt make gears, cod4, heck, any good looking game of this gen look like a "piece of shit". try and speak for once without being a biased idiot.

It's a hyperbole, of course COD4 doesn't look like SHIT, it's a good-looking game, it's just that Uncharted is clearly a better-looking game than COD4. I don't know why you would get so offended, it's not like you work for Infinity Ward or Activision. You need to chill a bit.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
x3n05 said:
Granted, but weren't you expecting more for the finale? I was left
standing on the boat
waiting for something else to happen, just felt sloppy imo.

I wanted a boss fight with a giant robot in the end but hey.
Indifferent2.gif

ElyrionX

zoukka said:
Stop with the ammo whine please. It's a core element of the game to constantly switch between weapons, conserve ammo and even hand to hand smack pirates around. The game would quickly become a chore if you had too much ammunition.

WTF? How would the game become a chore if you had too much ammunition? And running around for a few minutes after every fight to look for ammo isn't a chore now?

If the game gave me more ammo, I could actually CHOOSE which gun I would prefer to use instead of being forced to use whatever is available. It gets pretty fucking lame picking up a powerful Magnum now, firing off six shots and then go running around looking for another pistol to replace it. And that happens all the time. Eventually, I got so sick of it that I stopped picking up the limited-ammo pistols.

The worst part is deciding between a fully-loaded shotgun and a half-loaded M4. Of course I'll take the M4 but I worry about whether I'll have enough ammo for the next fight or not. So I take the shotgun only to run into a half-loaded M4 the moment I enter the next area. Ok, so I decide to drop my shotgun and pick up the M4 and run back to the previous area to get the half-loaded M4 that I had left behind. But guess what? The ghosts of the ancient Spanish civilization closed the fucking door behind me without me noticing it at all. So I can't backtrack and pick up that weapon anymore.

That actually reminds me. WTF is with sealing doors and areas behind you? Another ancient gameplay design that somehow made it into Uncharted. Unbelievable.

zoukka

It's not your thing then. Big deal. You always had enough ammo to survive and I liked constantly changing my equipment. If you would have a lot of ammunition you would just use the best gun always. Maybe some poeple would like that, but for me it would feel retarded. It would also just make the games repetitiveness stand out more because you would always snipe enemies away with M4 or Dragunov.

And you spent minutes to look for ammo... well I really can't relate.

Kittonwy

Banned
ElyrionX said:
WTF? How would the game become a chore if you had too much ammunition?

If the game gave me more ammo, I could actually CHOOSE which gun I would prefer to use instead of being forced to use whatever is available. It gets pretty fucking lame picking up a powerful Magnum now, firing off six shots and then go running around looking for another pistol to replace it. And that happens ALL THE TIME. Eventually, I got so sick of it that I stopped picking up the limited-ammo pistols.

The worst part is deciding between a fully-loaded shotgun and a half-loaded M4. Of course I'll take the M4 but I worry about whether I'll have enough ammo for the next fight or not. So I take the shotgun only to run into a half-loaded M4 the moment I enter the next area. Ok, so I decide to drop my shotgun and pick up the M4 and run back to the previous area to get the half-loaded M4 that I had left behind. But guess what? The ghosts of the ancient Spanish civilization closed the fucking door behind me without me noticing it at all. So I can't backtrack and pick up that weapon anymore.

That actually reminds me. WTF is with sealing doors and areas behind you? Another ancient gameplay design that somehow made it into Uncharted. Unbelievable.

Having the magnum all the time would make the game too easy, given how powerful the magnum is, the shotgun is powerful but it isn't deadly in long range, the magnum takes an enemy down even in long range, if you can carry more magnum or colt45 ammo it would probably break the game. I don't know about you but I like having to improvise and procure weapons from the dead bodies of my enemies.
angry.gif

The closed door probably keeps the size of the level in memory to what's necessary and prevents the player from exploiting the AI since the enemies probably can't follow you outside of the new level, and to keep the player from basically using the level entrance to funnel enemies through to kill them easily.

Keio

For a Finer World
I'm looking to start playing this and after reading about the firefight problems, I'm tempted to pick easy difficulty (is there one?). My main interest is blazing through nice scenery and getting an adventure feel.

Kittonwy

Banned
Keio said:
I'm looking to start playing this and after reading about the firefight problems, I'm tempted to pick easy difficulty (is there one?). My main interest is blazing through nice scenery and getting an adventure feel.

Play it on normal, you'll be fine. If you're looking for a bit of a challenge, play it on hard, it only gets really hard in Crushing and even on Crushing it's very doable, it's not really the kind of game that demands the perfect run.

ElyrionX

Kittonwy said:
Having the magnum all the time would make the game too easy, given how powerful the magnum is, the shotgun is powerful but it isn't deadly in long range, the magnum takes an enemy down even in long range, if you can carry more magnum or colt45 ammo it would probably break the game. I don't know about you but I like having to improvise and procure weapons from the dead bodies of my enemies.
angry.gif

I know what it means from a game design perspective of course. But the best way to do it would have been to give a larger amount of ammo each time you have access to these guns but to make the guns available less often. So everytime you got it, you can use it for a longer period of time but once it's over, you drop it and pick up another pistol and stick with that for the next half hour. I just don't think it's any fun having to hunt for a new pistol so soon after picking up the Magnum.

In addition, the ammo issue would really be much less of a chore if Nate automatically picks up ammo for your current gun when he walks over it instead of having to press Triangle every time you want to pick up ammo. Just another flawed design decision, IMO.

bigswords

Honestly have you tried mixing hand to hand combat with gunplay? In certain sequences I had to use hand to hand to quick finish the enemy off and get the bonus ammo from the fallen enemy.

Ammo wise I really didn't have much problem on normal difficulty.

ElyrionX

bigswords said:
Honestly have you tried mixing hand to hand combat with gunplay? In certain sequences I had to use hand to hand to quick finish the enemy off and get the bonus ammo from the fallen enemy.

Ammo wise I really didn't have much problem on normal difficulty.

Admittedly, I use hand to hand very rarely because you die so quickly if you expose yourself in most combat situations.

I don't have any issues with the amount of ammo the game throws at you just the ammo limit forcing you to carry way less ammo than you can find which makes the whole thing tedious since you need to look for and replenish your ammo after every fight.

Kittonwy

Banned
ElyrionX said:
I know what it means from a game design perspective of course. But the best way to do it would have been to give a larger amount of ammo each time you have access to these guns but to make the guns available less often. So everytime you got it, you can use it for a longer period of time but once it's over, you drop it and pick up another pistol and stick with that for the next half hour. I just don't think it's any fun having to hunt for a new pistol so soon after picking up the Magnum.

In addition, the ammo issue would really be much less of a chore if Nate automatically picks up ammo for your current gun when he walks over it instead of having to press Triangle every time you want to pick up ammo. Just another flawed design decision, IMO.

This has to do with giving the player control over when he can pick up the ammo, in the case of your suggestion, once you picked up that clip, it's gone, it doesn't matter if you've only used up a third of your clip or whether you're completely empty, if you've fired only a couple of bullets from your magnum and you accidentally walk over a magnum clip, now you're pretty much fucked as far as trying to manage your ammo for that weapon.

What they're doing is giving player the control to pick up ammo WHEN HE NEEDS IT, it's the same thing in Gears as well, it keeps the player from walking over a weapon by mistake and lose the opportunity to pick up the ammo when he really needs it instead of having fired only a round or so.

Kittonwy

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Admittedly, I use hand to hand very rarely because you die so quickly if you expose yourself in most combat situations.

I don't have any issues with the amount of ammo the game throws at you just the ammo limit forcing you to carry way less ammo than you can find which makes the whole thing tedious since you need to look for and replenish your ammo after every fight.

Is that what you were doing? I never really did have ammo problems, especially when it comes to my pistol or the AK, with the more powerful weapons I have to use them more judiciously and I replace them when I run dry. I thought the game was pretty generous with standard ammo.

Cronox

Banned
at OP: Getting a brutal kill (was it really called that?) will get 2x ammo if you really need some. But ammo in the game was never really a problem unless you're sticking to one type of gun.

As for the laser guys, I think I got killed by them once the entire game. If you roll around you'll be fine. Just use you're circle button and it shouldn't be a problem.

Really, the longer you stay here to complain the less likely you'll be to go back and finish the game. If you haven't noticed a large change in enemies yet then keep going. The gameplay will change pretty soon. Sack up and getter done.

ElyrionX

Actually, the ammo issue is just a minor annoyance despite what I may make it seem like in my previous post.

Also, those of you hinting at "different enemies". Yeah, I know because I've had it spoiled for me several times in the past couple of months already that you end up fighting
monsters
in the later part of the game. It's already been hinted at several times in the game though.

Ramirez

Decent game, highly overrated on here, like most games. :p

The shooting parts were so boring, as you said the guns just didn't pack any punch. I enjoyed the platforming parts, even though they were linear paths. I'd like to see more platforming with different paths in a sequel, with a a reduced emphasis on the gunplay.

gunplay and ai in uncharted were great...playing it next to HL2 really brought out the flaws in that games system (despite being an excellent game overall)

I played Uncharted for the first time a few weeks ago, and I absolutely LOVED it. I can't believe some people are complaining about ammo and choosing different weapons. In almost all cases, I'd pick up the magnum for six one-shot kills, then grab whichever pistol the enemies dropped.

The constant switching between weapons never bothered me, either. Unloading an M4 into a group of enemies then switching to a SAS shotgun to pick off the stragglers was very satisfying. :D

I couldn't disagree more with OP, the gunplay in Uncharted is fantastic, for me it's the best solo shooter on the market. The cover system, the animation, the AI, the level design, the feedback from the weapon, the challenge, everything is spot on.

And the ammo limitation is great, it forces you to use various weapons, to move from your cover, it makes the fights even more dynamic. And don't forget to shoot the head and to use melee finish if you're really out of ammo.

On the other hand, I was really underwhelmed by the platforming section, it's feels more like a QTE or a rytmn game in that aspect, you just fallow the "partition" of the level, you fallow a very linear path and almost no skill is involved at all. I feel like those section are just a way to cool down the gameplay, just like the puzzle and the cut-scenes :lol

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Keio said:

My girlfriend finished it on easy.

You're not gonna let a girl outdo you, are you?

I think the OP is just trolling TBH. C'mon man, you know you're lovin every minute of it...

ElyrionX said:
Now, my question is: I sort of lost interest where I am (Chapter 15). Right now, it certain feels repetitive as it just seems I'm doing the same things over and over again. Does the story/ending make the rest of the game worth playing through? Or can I safely say that I have experienced Uncharted for what it is now that I've finished about two-thirds of the game.

Seriously, wtf is this shit? And this is an 8.5 in your book?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
oldschlgmr said:
I think the OP is just trolling TBH. C'mon man, you know you're lovin every minute of it...

Seriously, wtf is this shit? And this is an 8.5 in your book?
People are allowed to say negative things, you know. Just because someone doesn't like something about a game it doesn't mean they're 'trolling'. Not every thread has to be one big circle jerk.

Zylander

I think I stopped playing about the same stage as you did, OP. I found it a bit boring, mostly because of the issues you described, though excellent in some aspects.

I really should get around to finishing it, because sometimes my opinions change on completing a game.

Ten-Song

I thought the game was pretty cool, not "oh my god outstanding," but still fun... Had a strong Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider vibe, but still felt like it could stand on its own. I liked how the shooting worked, with always having to snag different weapons from dead dudes and such, but some of the gun fights still felt kind of boring. That said, with a bit more polish on some aspects of it, I imagine the sequel will be pretty awesome.

BeeDog

cjelly said:
People are allowed to say negative things, you know. Just because someone doesn't like something about a game it doesn't mean they're 'trolling'. Not every thread has to be one big circle jerk.

You gotta stick up for the people dissing a big PS3 game!
obvious, why else would you be in this topic?

Anyway, I can see where the OP is coming from, but I don't really agree: the gun fights had some great dynamics on the harder difficulty levels, and the lack of big clip sizes for the weapons force you to move around and utilize the dropped weapons more.

I do agree somewhat with the linearity though; some bigger scoped levels would've been awesome. But then again I'm a gamer that love well-paced but extremely linear games, and this was one of them. Thankfully, many of the bigger shootouts can unfold in different ways, and there's also the level-flip cheat that spices things up a bit. :D

Overall, an amazing single-player game with some minor faults, but nothing compared to the other bigshots as, say, GTA4. All around an extremely solid package.

a.wd

I know this is turning into one of those dont say anything bad about uncharted threads but it really isnt that amazing. The grapics are good but they are inconsistent, and I hate that the foliage is essentially a 3d model that doesnt move as you go through it, really takes me out of the experience and when the single shot kill dudes and the "other" enemies turn up the gameplay starts revealing itself to be artificially shallow.

cjelly said:

Oh please...

cjelly
will gladly bend over and
grab ankles for Microsoft
(Today, 03:39 AM)

Ya dude, point taken.

eznark

Banned
I absolutely loved Uncharted while I was playing it, but I hated the twist when it happened and the pointless "we'll solve the puzzles for you" (god damn you focus groups) dampered it. Then, the retarded boss battle at the end left me with sort of a sour taste in my mouth. Overall excellent game, but it was like Crysis for me. I was blown away for like 3/4 then really disliked the end. I'd say the single player was on par with COD in different ways. The trip points and stuff in COD4 were just as stupid and annoying as my problems with Uncharted. In my eyes they are pretty much equal (I played COD4 on the 360).

Graphically though, amazing. Climbing up the castle and panning the camera out over the ocean was incredible.

I will say I am much more looking forward to Uncharted 2 (whenever it comes out) than COD 6. I am sure they'll fix the problems, and hopefully focus test it less.

John_B

BeeDog said:
Overall, an amazing single-player game with some minor faults, but nothing compared to the other bigshots as, say, GTA4. All around an extremely solid package.
It is pretty hard comparing GTA4 to Uncharted, but what Uncharted and GTA4 both do, Uncharted does it way better. I think that GTA4 is a better game, but the controls, graphics, gunplay, camera work are all very weak compared to how well Uncharted does it.

Uncharted is a great fucking game, and if Naughty Dog had spent just a fraction of the time whoring their franchise like Rockstar did GTA, then it would have recieved better reviews and more people would have played it and liked it.

eznark

Banned
John_B said:
It is pretty hard comparing GTA4 to Uncharted, but what Uncharted and GTA4 both do, Uncharted does it way better. I think that GTA4 is a better game, but the controls, graphics, gunplay, camera work are all very weak compared to how well Uncharted does it.

Uncharted is a great fucking game, and if Naughty Dog had spent just a fraction of the time whoring their franchise like Rockstar did GTA, then it would have recieved better reviews and more people would have played it and liked it.

Personally, much bigger fan of Uncharted than GTA, but I just beat the Heat mission, so I have 30 or so more "go kill this guy" missions left, so who knows, maybe I'll change my mind.

IMO playing GTA after Uncharted is pretty painful. The gameplay seems so weak, the AI, the cover system, the controls. It's ok, and huge ass open game like GTA can't be as polished as a linear game like Uncharted ^^

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
a Master Ninja said:
Everybody picks on the gunplay, and while I see room for improvement, this game's real weaknesses are:
1.) Puzzles focus-tested on chimps - "Hey look, a puzzle" *opens journal to page with answer to puzzle*
2.) Generally pointless, linear platforming - hang on ledge, point analog stick at next ledge, jump, rinse and repeat until next combat area is reached. Sure you get the occasional brick that falls off the wall, but I think they could stand to mix it up a bit. Multiple paths might help me feel like I'm doing more than pointing at the set path of handholds the devs have layed out for me.

The Uncharted franchise has a lot of potential, they just need to build on what they have.

yeah, these are my main gripes as well. I also disliked the mutants (totally unnecessary) and the last boss. The shoot-outs were generally fun, especially some of the later ones (e.g the church). Another high point was the jeep chase, loved to see those vehicles flying.

What I found weird that in a ridiculously good looking game like Uncharted, you find the most weird, funky looking grenade explosions I've seen. What was up with that?

All in all Uncharted is a really good game, but incredibly overrated around here. While you're playing you get a pretty good rush and you want to keep going, but once it's over it quickly leaves the mind again, at least for me.

eznark

Banned
Darunia said:
yeah, these are my main gripes as well. I also disliked the mutants (totally unnecessary) and the last boss. The shoot-outs were generally fun, especially some of the later ones (e.g the church). Another high point was the jeep chase, loved to see those vehicles flying.

What I found weird that in a ridiculously good looking game like Uncharted, you find the most weird, funky looking grenade explosions I've seen. What was up with that?

All in all Uncharted is a really good game, but incredibly overrated around here. While you're playing you get a pretty good rush and you want to keep going, but once it's over it quickly leaves the mind again, at least for me.

I would mostly agree with you, but do you think a lot of that has to do with the last few chapters and the boss battle?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
eznark said:
I would mostly agree with you, but do you think a lot of that has to do with the last few chapters and the boss battle?

maybe. I certainly didn't like how it ended. The mutant rooms, the 'boss', the final area... Also most of the shooting encounters were fun, but none made you want to replay the game to experience them again once it was over.

lubitsch

thetrin said:
I absolutely love Uncharted. One of the best games of last year. I loved the combat and the platforming. I honestly couldn't find a part of the game I particularly disliked.

this

one of my favourites last year, next to Ratchet&Clank and right behind Halo 3

eznark

Banned
Darunia said:
maybe. I certainly didn't like how it ended. The mutant rooms, the 'boss', the final area... Also most of the shooting encounters were fun, but none made you want to replay the game to experience them again once it was over.

yeah, that's pretty much exactly how I felt. I hope they build on it though and make an amazing sequel (no zombies please).

a.wd said:
I know this is turning into one of those dont say anything bad about uncharted threads but it really isnt that amazing. The grapics are good but they are inconsistent, and I hate that the foliage is essentially a 3d model that doesnt move as you go through it, really takes me out of the experience and when the single shot kill dudes and the "other" enemies turn up the gameplay starts revealing itself to be artificially shallow.

have you even played the game ? thats like the opposite of what most people would say about the game, the foliage actually moves ? do you have a ps3 ?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
ElyrionX said:
I don't know. I can play through Hardcore on Gears just fine.

I guess, what I would say is that yes, it isn't THAT hard once you learn that camping in one spot is generally a bad idea in Uncharted. But it's just ridiculous and laughable how an enemy with a laser sight would suddenly be able to one shot one kill you. And the difficulty is also ramped up artificially by the ammo limit, super-accurate AI and the overall weak shooting mechanics of the automatic weapons.
Sounds like you went in looking for reasons to not like the game. This combined with your apparent lack of skill at it left a bad taste in your mouth.

So yeah...

Thanks for the thread.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Yeah, I just started playing it as well. Got myself a PS3 with the game and all.

Personally, I don't pee my pants with excitement over it, but it's still damn good mix between Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia. The biggest flaw so far, imho, is the change between action/platform. It's too noticable and they should have mixed them more and not just send 15 dudes after a platform part and then repeat.

ElyrionX

BobsRevenge said:
Sounds like you went in looking for reasons to not like the game. This combined with your apparent lack of skill at it left a bad taste in your mouth.

So yeah...

Thanks for the thread.

Thanks for your insightful remarks.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ah, Uncharted was the first game I bought for my PS3, and I couldn't have been happier. I played through on Hard the first time, and it wasn't terribly difficult (some areas were a pain, but not controller-throwing inducing).

Crushing, however, is a whole other freaking story. It took me several hours to get past that damn flooded cavern gunfight (I really hadn't run into any problems before then), and now I'm stuck on that ruined building gunfight where the girl is running around the middle of the area. That section is really a test to being patient and willing to sit behind a corner, forever, waiting for the perfect shot...sheesh.

Top Bottom