• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doc Evils said:
I just got back from HMV in London. FUCK I AM BITTER.

I came early to oxford street, but I thought to my self I would get my self breakfast at Mcdonalds because Gaf and Moron analyists told me MGS4 appeals to a ' small amount of people' so I didn't expect people to be there, how fucking wrong.

I got there 9.45am after having my breakfast and there was 300 people waiting. I was 310th, and there was another 100 people behind me so about 400 people turned up.

Apparantley the guy working there told me that people were camping out 24 hours BEFORE.

FUCK FUCK FUCK . I AM BITTER.

nein

Darkpen

Banned
$h@d0w said:
DSC01396.jpg
ew, they used a liquid sharpie sort of thing? D:

Darkpen

Banned
Madsucktion said:
So I must be internet retarded today. I've checked Circuit City, Fry's, and Amazon's websites and can't find the bundle (DualShock3, 80gig, MGS4 for $499) anywhere. The only place I have even found a picture of it is on sony's official website (sonystyle.com - http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665371946 ), and they don't even have it for order. They just have a button up that says "Notify Me" when it becomes available. Anyone got a link that could hook a brother up? I'm buying a PS3 for this game, but only if I can get my hands on that bundle. Otherwise, I'll just wait for the first price drop.

Also sorry if someone already asked this, but after reading 3 pages of "OMG best thread ever" I became a little tired.

P.S. OMG this is the best thread ever by the way. Freaking amazing work BruceLeeRoy.
stores will be carrying it, I'm sure. Not so sure about the online situation though. I know that even play n trades will be carrying it.

Fallout-NL said:
That's pretty. But how will the weapon fetishism be present in MGS4? Didn't really notice it in 1 and 2.
Well, 3 had this scene:
Snake said:
The feeding ramp is polished to a mirror sheen. The slide's been
reinforced. And the interlock with the frame is tightened for added precision.
The sight system is original, too. The thumb safety is extended to make it
easier on the finger. A long-type trigger with non-slip grooves. A ring
hammer... The base of the trigger guard's been filed down for a higher grip.
And not only that, nearly every part of this gun has been expertly crafted and
customized.
Among others.

$h@d0w said:
I'm so tired and I think I smell of piss from sitting on the pavement :-/

Apparently the guys at the front were there since 11pm last night.

I was in awe when I stepped up to see Kojima and didn't know really what to say.

He was cool though (unlike the HMV staff who only let people get their sleeves signed, NO OTHER ITEMS), I congratulated him for completing the game and he said thanks.

I spotted Kenichiro Imaizumi lurking around with a camera and managed to ask him for his signature too.

holy shit

I hate you.

DCharlie

Banned
Or that. So basically they are reviewing the game on what they believe it was?

i know a few reviewers who have completed the game and commented on it.
It might not be the final game, but they finished it.

and that's what i said previously - they were positiviely going crazy about how great the game was and how people aren't prepared for it.

Darkpen

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Well, 3 had this scene:

Among others.
I suddenly miss Crushed, as I recall him pointing out how scenes like this, and other codec calls in MGS3, basically shows that Naked Snake has aspergers.

All he knows cares about is how to fight, about guns, and techniques. Anything else goes in one ear, and straight out the other. It actually explains why this one guy I knew related so much with MGS3's Snake.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I was wondering this this game have any single player bluetooth headset features? Like maybe playing Codec conversations over the headset like a No More Heroes sort of thing.

dmshaposv

BlockBastard said:
it's Mobs Alive. Track #19 on the first disc.

Holy shit, this is officially the most "epic" sounding track on the OST and my personal fav.

The ending bit is especially dramatic and worked very well for the E3 2007 trailer too.

dmshaposv said:
Holy shit, this is officially the most "epic" sounding track on the OST and my personal fav.

The ending bit is especially dramatic and worked very well for the E3 2007 trailer too.

I know rite

A friend sent me the audio rip of the E3 2007 trailer a long time ago and I actually put it on my MP3 player way back then. It is indeed an awesome track.

I can name about 5 more than top it, though.

hulot

Darkpen said:
I suddenly miss Crushed, as I recall him pointing out how scenes like this, and other codec calls in MGS3, basically shows that Naked Snake has aspergers.

All he knows cares about is how to fight, about guns, and techniques. Anything else goes in one ear, and straight out the other. It actually explains why this one guy I knew related so much with MGS3's Snake.

wikipedia said:
A pervasive developmental disorder, Asperger syndrome is distinguished by a pattern of symptoms rather than a single symptom. It is characterized by qualitative impairment in social interaction, by stereotyped and restricted patterns of activities and interests, and by no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or general delay in language. Intense preoccupation with a narrow subject, one-sided verbosity, restricted prosody and intonation, and motor clumsiness are typical of the condition, but are not required for diagnosis.

Individuals with Asperger syndrome experience difficulties in basic elements of social interaction, which may include a failure to develop friendships or enjoy spontaneous interests or achievements with others, a lack of social or emotional reciprocity, and impaired nonverbal behaviors such as eye contact, facial expression, posture, and gesture.

Yes, that scene exactly (since I just passed it) when Snake is almost neurotically avoiding all possible eye contact with Eva. Never thought of it that way, but it always seemed odd. MGS4: Pens of the Psychiatrists?

Darkpen

Banned
hulot said:
Yes, that scene exactly (since I just passed it) when Snake is almost neurotically avoiding all possible eye contact with Eva. Never thought of it that way, but it always seemed odd. MGS4: Pens of the Psychiatrists?
there are several codec calls that clearly show that snake has aspergers, but I can't remember all of them at the moment. I'm sure going through crushed's post history would reveal most of the big ones though.

What's funny, though, is that none of the clones show symptoms of aspergers to the same degree as Big Boss.

SRG01

Darkpen said:
there are several codec calls that clearly show that snake has aspergers, but I can't remember all of them at the moment. I'm sure going through crushed's post history would reveal most of the big ones though.

What's funny, though, is that none of the clones show symptoms of aspergers to the same degree as Big Boss.

Clearly not a solider trait?

SRG01

Hey, so I'm thinking of getting a blue bandana and growing out my facial hair in anticipation of the MGS4 release. Who's with me? :lol

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Here comes another shitstorm. People just can't get over the fact that some reviews won't give it the full 10/10.
Actually I expected 7 or 8 from gamereactor. Swedes can tell you why.

Zenith

Banned
Zedsdeadbaby said:
Here comes another shitstorm. People just can't get over the fact that some reviews won't give it the full 10/10.

no, what I can't get over is people criticising it for too long cutscenes. it's Metal Gear, it's a staple of the series. It's like criticising Half Life for having no cutscenes whatsoever.

Phatcorns said:
Those two are direct contradictions. Is there another way of translating this?

It says lengthy gameplay interruptions, which seems unnecessary since that's basically their first negative as well.

Zenith said:
no, what I can't get over is people criticising it for too long cutscenes. it's Metal Gear, it's a staple of the series. It's like criticising Half Life for having no cutscenes whatsoever.

MGS4 cutscenes are gonna be loooooooooooong.

So then, I was at the front of the queue, pretty much. Well in the Top 15 roughly. Got there at 3am this morning, good times. Queue went super quick, and the whole day was excellent.
Tried to blag my MGS3 Metal Edition but they weren't having none of it. Some bastard got his Medicom Naked Snake Croc Cap figure signed. Lucky guy.
Took a few pics, a friend of mine, the ultimate Hideo Kojima Fanboy, took over 300 or so. I was even interviewed a few times, and I was in one of their own press interviews, good stuff. I tried to send the team a message in Japanese, but I fear that I will look like a complete twat now lol.
The Trio Responded better when you spoke Japanese with them, Hideo even let me send out my heartly message to him, what a great guy.

Some pics.
I'm the dude with the long black hair, and looking like an arse on the stand ¬_¬
The rest of the pics are viewable here

100_3530.JPG

The Sign
100_3531.JPG

Queue at about 8ish I think
100_3535.JPG

Ultimate Hideo Fanboy in view
100_3541.JPG

Me at bottom left
100_3544.JPG

The Trio
100_3549.JPG

Getting ready for some riking
100_3555.JPG

You rike it desune?
100_3561.JPG

Yeah I rike it.
100_3568.JPG

Getting moved off
100_3606.JPG

Hideo with a funny face
100_3616.JPG

I RIKE IT (I kept shouting out their names, and they responded a lot, they are really awesome)
100_3617.JPG

Awesome guys
100_3622.JPG

My sleeve, that will go into a container and remain there forever.

So the whole riking thing was a joke throughout the whole day.

DunpealD

Not too sure about this, correct me if I'm wrong:

Graphics: 9
Gameplay: 10
Sound: 10
Lasting Appeal: 9

Considering the reviewers(haven't given a 10 and doesn't seem to be the action type) preferences I'd say the 9/10 score is pretty good, his decision must have been close to 10.

Phatcorns

Danne-Danger said:
It says lengthy gameplay interruptions, which seems unnecessary since that's basically their first negative as well.

If that's what he's saying, then I'm not sure how much credence I would give to his review when he can't even decide whether he thinks the pace is a good thing or a bad thing.

I'm not saying it should be a ten or something, I don't really care about numbers, I'm just saying, if anything, make sure that your summary bullet points at least make some sense. I don't read Swedish, so I'm relying on you guys for the translation here though.

Tom Penny

Zenith said:

A reviewer can criticize anything he or she wants to. All they are doing is giving their opinion whether you like it or not.

Dever

Banned
DunpealD said:
Not too sure about this, correct me if I'm wrong:

Graphics: 9
Gameplay: 10
Sound: 10
Lasting Appeal: 9

Considering the reviewers(haven't given a 10 and doesn't seem to be the action type) preferences I'd say the 9/10 score is pretty good, his decision must have been close to 10.

How is the lasting appeal not a 10? The game lasts around 25 hours, and MGS is one of the most re-playable series in gaming. And from what I've heard, you get new weapons and stuff on multiple playthroughs. Then there's a little thing called MGO...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My excitement for this game is only tempered by old Snake. What I wouldn't give for an MGS2-like switcheroo where you get to play as young(er) Snake for most of the game.

:*(

Phatcorns said:
If that's what he's saying, then I'm not sure how much credence I would give to his review when he can't even decide whether he thinks the pace is a good thing or a bad thing.

I'm not saying it should be a ten or something, I don't really care about numbers, I'm just saying, if anything, make sure that your summary bullet points at least make some sense. I don't read Swedish, so I'm relying on you guys for the translation here though.

In all fairness in the written text of the review he might set that the pacing of the gameplay alone is excellent, however it's ruined by the cutscenes. That's not much of a large stretch before we dive into cynicism is it?

I just hope Suda comes to London for his next signing, surely he could improve the numbers after last time!

VanMardigan said:
My excitement for this game is only tempered by old Snake. What I wouldn't give for an MGS2-like switcheroo where you get to play as young(er) Snake for most of the game.

:*(

What do you have against old men? Tell me.

Tell me

Rainy Dog

dabookerman said:
So then, I was at the front of the queue, pretty much. Well in the Top 15 roughly. Got there at 3am this morning, good times. Queue went super quick, and the whole day was excellent.
Tried to blag my MGS3 Metal Edition but they weren't having none of it. Some bastard got his Medicom Naked Snake Croc Cap figure signed. Lucky guy.
Took a few pics, a friend of mine, the ultimate Hideo Kojima Fanboy, took over 300 or so. I was even interviewed a few times, and I was in one of their own press interviews, good stuff. I tried to send the team a message in Japanese, but I fear that I will look like a complete twat now lol.
The Trio Responded better when you spoke Japanese with them, Hideo even let me send out my heartly message to him, what a great guy.

Great pics, cheers dabookerman. Can't understand why he wouldn't want to pop up to Bradford afterwards though. Actually...

BlockBastard said:
What do you have against old men? Tell me.

Tell me

Who hasn't put young Snake's back up against a wall when there was nobody around just so you could get a good close shot of him to admire his chiseled good looks? This was made even easier in Subsistence. Old Snake is Old.

revolverjgw said:
Who hasn't put young Snake's back up against a wall when there was nobody around just so you could get a good close shot of him to admire his chiseled good looks? This was made even easier in Subsistence. Old Snake is Old.

Old Snake is a good-looking cat, I don't know what you're on about. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom