• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Thread: Impressions from the wild [Code Begging=ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the icon in the middle of the Earth map. Devil's Lair / lv. 6 Strike.

I think when you're in orbit it says "select destination" and next to it it will say "brave". I think that's it. I couldn't for the life of me find it either but I think that's it.

Edit** Btw the button layout for remote play on the vita is brilliant.

k0ji-wd

Left the PS4 on for 10 minutes. . .
SarcasticElaborateHamadryas.gif

I've never gone from "eh" to "holy shit" so quickly for a game before, absolutely can't wait for retail.

doby

You can enter it solo, then matchmaking finds you a team. After the first story mission, when you automatically return to the Tower, you have to do "tutorial" style missions and talk to a handful of people: a class specific vendor, the gunsmith, and a ship vendor. Some people have been skipping this and not seeing the Strike come up.

Perhaps I skipped it then, I can't actually remember.

Ok cool I'll give that a shot and see what it's like as it gives me something to do. I imagine that just like the Strike mission on Legendary you can also get superior gear doing the story mission on this difficulty?

I think I had a couple drops that were better than the normal difficulty but since I had better weapons/gear already I just dismantled them. I also waited to do it and was overleveled for it so I'd imagine doing it when it's more of a challenge is recommended. Still, I'd say to do it.

Xater

Not sure how I feel about weapons and armour obtained in the PvE coming acrossing to PvP. Went up against a guy who easily outclassed me and I suppose most of my team with his armour and weapons.

Weapon damage and other stats are normalized in MP.

There's a mission in the tower??

That's why they told you to go there after the story mission. Talk to everyone with a green icon.

EL CUCO

I've never gone from "eh" to "holy shit" so quickly for a game before, absolutely can't wait for retail.

<3 so day one.

I was patrolling around the old highway and noticed that there was like a blizzard going through. I was at the same place yesterday and it was just a regular day. Stuff like that makes this game so awesome to revisit.

Mikey Jr.

I LOVE how in MP you can call your sparrow on the fly. It is so fucking awesome.

edit: Btw, 8500 comments on just the PS4 version? Holy shit.

Namikaze1

BqLhyp9IMAE3lSY.jpg:orig

My Titan, Scarlet.
Primary Weapon: Trax Mallus II (106 Attack)
Special Weapon: Deadlander MK. 38 (96 Attack)
Heavy Weapon: Cyrus-C (96 Attack)

I wish I could wear the Rare helmet I got in my inventory. :(

I think when you're in orbit it says "select destination" and next to it it will say "brave". I think that's it. I couldn't for the life of me find it either but I think that's it.

Edit** Btw the button layout for remote play on the vita is brilliant.

?

The earth map is icon based. Bottom right-ish is the Explore icon. To the left of that is the icon for the lv. 3 explore mission.

Then in the Devils Lair portion of the map is the shield looking icon for the Lv. 6 Strike mission.

So just Select Destination - middle of map is devils lair, locate icon for the Strike mission.

Fantastic. I've spent far too much time just staring at the skyline in this game. Just beautiful skies.

Xater

Would be way better if you were dancing. Just sayin'... ;)

I LOVE how in MP you can call your sparrow on the fly. It is so fucking awesome.

Yep, I like that as well. In Battlefield and halo way too often some quick guys just get into a vehicle and drive off with all the other guys left behind. Now everyone has at least a quick way of transportation no mater what.

For anyone worried about the size of this game.

Earth :

Mumbai Push
Old Russia ( alpha map )
Old Chicago
Twilight Gap
European Deadzone

Old_Russia_Map.png

Map of old Russia. Some of which is not even explorable in the alpha due to enemy levels and such. Looks like the whole Kings Watch area is not in the Alpha, along with that Dry Sea area

So, along with even more of Old Russia in the retail version, you have multiple other areas of Earth to explore. Along with of course the other planets.

I really cannot wait for the retail of this game man.

10_1_Moon_3_shot.jpg

All the bountys relate to the crucible right?

No, the Vanguard bounty's have to do with the Strike missions. Like, finishing the strike without dying will grant you a Vanguard award ... just don't forget tyo actually accept the bounty first lol.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Hi, I know this is not related to what you're discussing and I don't know for sure whether you're a Bungie worker, but if so, can you address how Bungie intends to improve PVP for this game, bugfixes aside? I think I had a pretty good summary of what's wrong with it in this topic, (although I know everyone had their individual qualms with it and don't claim to speak for them):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116609471&postcount=8012

I think that a solid PVP mode will be absolutely critical to the lasting quality of this game, and I'm very glad that we have this Alpha if only because we now have the chance to make PVP so much better.

So it doesn't get buried, you should post it to our feedback site, bungie.net/alpha.

NoTacos

I still don't quite understand the whole crucible rank system. Is the only way to achieve rank 1 to play a bunch or crucible matches?

Namikaze1

The blue ones are like challenges for strikes. I also don't remember what they are called though.
Yep. What this fellow gaffer said. There are some blue ones you can do in Exploration like the "Get Gold in 3 Public Events" challenge.

Edit: And I believe the guardian rank I was talking about is actually the Vanguard rank which unlocks better equipment at stores the higher you are.

Xater

Oh. The secondary weapon or something? I think I know what you are talking about. Its a pulse or fusion I think.

Yes it's a special weapon like a shotgun or sniper rifle. I used one of those for a while. They pack quite the punch but you have to charge every shot.

My question got buried... :(

1) Do we have a map of earth? In game or not...

2) Should I keep buying equipment or just use what the game gives me?

The game is freaking awesome, but there's so much stuff it's overwhelming a bit...

Karl Hawk

Banned

The game is freaking awesome, but there's so much stuff it's overwhelming a bit...

There's no in-game map of Earth.

That depends on your choice. If you have enough glimmer (Destiny's currency) to burn, you should buy some equipment.

Look above, just posted one.

Blind Steppes, Kings Watch, Graveyard, Dry Sea, etc. are not in the alpha. And Old Russia is only one of many Earth maps that retail will see.

In Alpha anyway, it seems that Cryptech guy is the best place for weapons / armor for me. As you use him, his level increases. Eventually you get him to lv. 2 for a chance at some rarer lv. 8 gear, but very rare. Otherwise, gunsmith is best for weapons.

Or, just keep fighting and opening chests and you'll get something eventually worthwhile.

fernoca

Quite impressed with this.
Went from "Well I'll get it because it's from Bungie"...to "Shit!!! Can't wait!!"

Reminds me a lot to Mass Effect and Halo.

Seeing other people doing missions as you're doing yours and been able to help them was a really nice touch too.

Vlodril

If you're working at Bungie then just lemme say great job.

And yeah, the tower has been empty for me for the whole day :(

Also I didn't understand where all the stuff I collected (the cards, etc..) went. I definitely can't find them within the game, so I assume it's all on the bungie.net site?
Hopefully in the final game all the info is in-game too.

Yea i cant find them either (in game or on the site). Maybe they have not implement the system yet.

Nipo

Is there a list of preorder bonus out there and what store is offering why? I know Gamestop is offering an upgraded sparrow. are any other stores offering in game items?

GeoramA

Just pre-ordered. This game, holy shit. I can't believe just how gigantic the levels are and how they're insanely detailed. Especially the interiors.

And from the alpha alone, it's by far the most content-packed FPS I've ever played. Just incredible stuff here.

If you're working at Bungie then just lemme say great job.

And yeah, the tower has been empty for me for the whole day :(

Also I didn't understand where all the stuff I collected (the cards, etc..) went. I definitely can't find them within the game, so I assume it's all on the bungie.net site?
Hopefully in the final game all the info is in-game too.

alpha.bungie.net

Look above, just posted one.

Blind Steppes, Kings Watch, Graveyard, Dry Sea, etc. are not in the alpha. And Old Russia is only one of many Earth maps that retail will see.

In Alpha anyway, it seems that Cryptech guy is the best place for weapons / armor for me. As you use him, his level increases. Eventually you get him to lv. 2 for a chance at some rarer lv. 8 gear, but very rare. Otherwise, gunsmith is best for weapons.

Or, just keep fighting and opening chests and you'll get something eventually worthwhile.

Thank you.

I'm in the process of uploading a video I took a couple nights ago using the enemy Pike speeder. It's not really anything too special. I just wanted to show it was possible. I'll put the link up once I get it done.

HTupolev

Also, its such a fail no Splitscreen. Having to take turns with my kid and Friends suck.
If the splitscreen window wound up being the usual 4:3, and FoV was scaled for varying aspect ratios the same way as most of the Halo games, split-screen would also allow you to play with an FoV of 94-95 degrees.

RoKKeR

Might fire up some final PvP before the servers switch off tonight. This Alpha has really sold me on the game, more so than any of the marketing they've done in the past year or so.

Looking forward to the beta, any word on how long the PS exclusivity is? Was that four day report correct or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom