• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Thread: Impressions from the wild [Code Begging=ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

BqLe7TgCUAI-zv6.jpg:orig

My current build.

Primary Weapon is a CYDONIA AR3 (93dmg)
Secondary Weapon is a SOLAS FR3 (67dmg with the swirl thing)
Heavy Weapon is a GENGHIS-C (96dmg)

Got a bunch of stronger gear but mostly lvl 10 :(
What hurts the most is that I finally found a Hunter Cloak that looked cool (Cloak of the Unborn) but it's for lvl 11...

I've played a lot already so that will be it. Here in Japan the game isn't even available for preorder so bye bye to the beta.. Oh well, I will at least preorder the game from the US, because fuck Japan and it's terrible release dates. This shit here feels like they're still 10-15 years back when releases used to get delayed in Europe and the US...

Thug Larz

Neo Member
I was hoping to see other people come in randomly during my playthrough. Basically a shared single player game (if that makes any sense). I guess I'll play more of it and hope to see more of the alpha.

We're looking into bugs right now that cause the in-world matchmaking to fail, which means you never see other players in the world. You'll also get into an empty Tower occasionally too. Thanks again for helping us find this stuff. :)

venom2124

Your special creates orbs of light which other players can use to recharge their special faster. You generate based off how many enemies you kill with it. At least it seems that way to me.
Thanks for the info. My high is 6 light orbs from 1 ground pound but I haven't been able to get that again. Mostly 3 and 4.

We're looking into bugs right now that cause the in-world matchmaking to fail, which means you never see other players in the world. You'll also get into an empty Tower occasionally too. Thanks again for helping us find this stuff. :)

You're bungie? Sweet! Thanks for the alpha btw. Nice to know you're reading through this. Also it would be nice if you guys DON'T fix the bug that lets people jump on each other's heads in the tower haha.

vypek

Your special creates orbs of light which other players can use to recharge their special faster. You generate based off how many enemies you kill with it. At least it seems that way to me.

Wow. Didn't even realize that.

Others were talking about lag and hit detection from Crucible and I only just experienced it in my latest three matches this morning (I know...I said I wouldn't play it but it has me hooked :( lol) But I'm sure the problems are being looked into and I'm crazy excited for the beta.

I wish I could get my defense over 144

BUNGIE: Please try to have progress carry over. I love my Jigoku SR3 (scout rifle) and my vault items. I don't want to track them all down again but I will if I have to.

I did the story, the exploration and the strike. Other than PvP that's all there is right?

Seems like it unless you want to try battling very strong enemies beyond your league.

thenexus6

I am continuing to find new areas and missions every time I jump into this game. The amount of contain is unreal. I wonder what else the beta will offer..

I have also decided I am definitely playing as a Warlock when I get the game first. I like its powers the most.

The interiors look amazing, felt like I was playing Marathon concept art at times. Not a huge fan of the weapon designs but they feel great. Loved seeing enemies fight each other, and the enemy AI feels great. I wish it was out already!

BokehKing

Banned
Been playing this game for 3 days and only realized now I can swap out grenades lol. I'm now having plenty fun with my flash grenade

vypek

I am continuing to find new areas and missions every time I jump into this game. The amount of contain is unreal. I wonder what else the beta will offer..

I have also decided I am definitely playing as a Warlock when I get the game first. I like its powers the most.

The lack of a map bothers me a little but its also really exciting and fun to notice a pathway you didn't before and find new areas. :)

Been playing this game for 3 days and only realized now I can swap out grenades lol. I'm now having plenty fun with my flash grenade

I only just realized you could use a vehicle on MP maps

Mik2121

If you're working at Bungie then just lemme say great job.

And yeah, the tower has been empty for me for the whole day :(

Also I didn't understand where all the stuff I collected (the cards, etc..) went. I definitely can't find them within the game, so I assume it's all on the bungie.net site?
Hopefully in the final game all the info is in-game too.

A suggestion, in Reach bungie introduced a new visual way of showing the shields of the Spartans when getting bit by weapon fire.

500px-Halo_Reach_UNSC_Shields.jpg

For Destiny a player could have that visual effect as a way to indicate when a player has a super ready both in PvP and PvE.

Carbonox

We're coming to the end of the Alpha and I still haven't been able to obtain an Uncommon Armor for my Titan to complete an Uncommon set.
xPSlPCU.png

Badgerst3

Yes, and no progress carries over.

I stashed some stuff in a vault just in case.

And I preordered last pm on psn digitally. Looks like this game will take up large chunks of my gamer time.

Anyone get a digital preorder psn beta code or is beta for retailers only?

Went back to tussle with the lvl 16 Hallowed Knight and this guy was here to greet me instead. 3 of us eventually pushed him off the cliff, then the Hallowed Knight respawned shortly afterwards.
16o_zps91f59e69.jpg

Edit: Why do my exported PS4 screens look like poo? I used the save to USB feature, then sent it as an attachment via psn and saved but they still look like garbage.

The capture itself is compressed.

If they would upgrade the capturing firmware to capture the uncompressed file and be able to save it as PNG or something, it would be capture card quality. But as it is now, it is a pretty low quality capture from the share button.

Well I know it's more then 5 orbs you can generate now. Just generated 6. I really wonder how this works now.

Same here. Maybe I have generated more then 3 but just never caught it showing the " you have generated 1 orb of light " 5x.

A suggestion, in Reach bungie introduced a new visual way of showing the shields of the Spartans when getting bit by weapon fire.

500px-Halo_Reach_UNSC_Shields.jpg

For Destiny a player could have that visual effect as a way to indicate when a player has a super ready both in PvP and PvE.

Not sure if I like this idea. This is basically painting a big target on me and telling the other team to "kill this guy right now." One of the reasons why supers are fun to use is choosing when to use them and catching the enemy by surprise. Baiting a guy to follow you around a corner and hitting him with Golden Gun is great. And supers take a while to charge up. If you glow when you're charged up, you'll likely get taken out before you can use it.

doby

So I've been reading about the strike mission but didn't know how to access it but thought I'd stumble across it eventually. Now i read you access it the same way you do for explore and story missions... except its not there for me. I'm level 8.

Do you have to be in a fireteam for it to be selectable?

Some really, really bad connection in the crucible, holy shit.
People disappearing and reappearing seconds later when i'm dead, not taken damage, getting kills after i stopped shooting, ...

vypek

So I've been reading about the strike mission but didn't know how to access it but thought I'd stumble across it eventually. Now i read you access it the same way you do for explore and story missions... except its not there for me. I'm level 8.

No, It should just be there. It will match you up on its own. Its closer to the center of the map when choosing a mission on Earth.

so, Is this looking to be really good? im not 100% sold on it yet ;/. Ill be getting ti on X1

It is looking damn good for an alpha build. PvE has me sold.

Some really, really bad connection in the crucible, holy shit.
People disappearing and reappearing seconds later when i'm dead, not taken damage, getting kills after i stopped shooting, ...

I'm not sure whats going on there. I had the same issue and didn't have any at all last night. I recorded a few videos and then just quit out of it.

Xater

Did you do the mission in the Tower after the story mission? The one where you have to talk to all those people.

OK, so I love this game a little.

Here's about 10 minutes of random exploration gameplay with my Titan. I found other players, we formed an impromptu group, took down some bad guys; entered a complex (something must happen to shared solo players, my random companions seemed to phase out when we hit that area - maybe we transitioned into another 'cell' or something and the shared online doesn't persist).

Ends with something I like to call "The Cave of NOPE".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aLduDjRiY

If you run through the cave you end up at the Grotto / Lost Coast area of the map and can effectively do a round trip through the whole level.

H4r4kiri

Went back to tussle with the lvl 16 Hallowed Knight and this guy was here to greet me instead. 3 of us eventually pushed him off the cliff, then the Hallowed Knight respawned shortly afterwards.
16o_zps91f59e69.jpg

Edit: Why do my exported PS4 screens look like poo? I used the save to USB feature, then sent it as an attachment via psn and saved but they still look like garbage.

where is this:D i want to fight him :D

MADGAME

The capture itself is compressed.

If they would upgrade the capturing firmware to capture the uncompressed file and be able to save it as PNG or something, it would be capture card quality. But as it is now, it is a pretty low quality capture from the share button.

Thanks. I have an El Gato but never bothered to set it up as I'm not normally a streamer/recorder/pic grabber but now I may consider it.

I appreciate the info.

You can enter it solo, then matchmaking finds you a team. After the first story mission, when you automatically return to the Tower, you have to do "tutorial" style missions and talk to a handful of people: a class specific vendor, the gunsmith, and a ship vendor. Some people have been skipping this and not seeing the Strike come up.

SJS

Hi, I know this is not related to what you're discussing and I don't know for sure whether you're a Bungie worker, but if so, can you address how Bungie intends to improve PVP for this game, bugfixes aside? I think I had a pretty good summary of what's wrong with it in this topic, (although I know everyone had their individual qualms with it and don't claim to speak for them):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116609471&postcount=8012

I think that a solid PVP mode will be absolutely critical to the lasting quality of this game, and I'm very glad that we have this Alpha if only because we now have the chance to make PVP so much better.

Is the icon in the middle of the Earth map. Devil's Lair / lv. 6 Strike.

Camjo-Z

When fighting the walker, shoot one of its legs until it blows up. This will cause the walker to expose its weak spot. Dump your bullets into that, and repeat. You don't really need to get close to it. It took my fire team maybe 5-7 minutes last night.

Ah, I was hoping there was something else to it. Might not fix all my issues with the game but it's good to know that one was my own fault at least, I'll have to give it another shot later tonight.

Carbonox

You can do the story mission on Legendary. Once you get into the building a couple different enemy types that weren't there before show up.

Ok cool I'll give that a shot and see what it's like as it gives me something to do. I imagine that just like the Strike mission on Legendary you can also get superior gear doing the story mission on this difficulty?

NoTacos

Yo can someone give me a quick rundown of how to get and apply shaders? I tried purchasing one earlier but it seemed to be locked

McFadge

Not sure how I feel about weapons and armour obtained in the PvE coming acrossing to PvP. Went up against a guy who easily outclassed me and I suppose most of my team with his armour and weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom