• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Thread: Impressions from the wild [Code Begging=ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz_RB

Reconnected!

tCkWe.gif

"We are starting tests against the systems that get players into the Alpha. If you are sticking around and helping us find issues THANK YOU!"
from @bungiehelp

also one of my characters was deleted =(

Reconnected, but I kind of wish I wasn't.

Reason being is that I initially just wanted to play for about 5 hours or so to get a feel for the game, see what I'd be getting into if I bought it and to give feedback to Bungie. Also, because if I did like it I didn't want to spoil myself too much so that the final product could be that much newer. But I haven't been able to stop, I've probably put in over 20 hours since Friday evening and I want more.

Has the Pike vehicle always been in the Alpha? Saw a player riding around in one and mowing/shooting down enemies with it. He got off it and I took it for a spin.

I thought it was an upgraded Sparrow or something at first but when he got off the vehicle it did not disappear.

Also received a message from Bungie in game that stated they were testing Scale today and there might be disconnects.

Got into a huge battle up by the satellite area, never seen that many enemies in one area before.

Disguises

Just got in a queue of 390+ - was waiting for around 10 minutes to get in to be presented with a "Destiny servers are unavailable" message. I try again and now im in a queue of 843. Sure as hell hope this doesn't happen at launch.

Edit: Ok...waited for about 2 minutes on the new message and I'm already in. It didn't even have a chance to count down the queue further....
tyH3mWN.jpg

ChuckNyce

New tweet from Bungie:

‏@Bungie
Fair Warning: Destiny Alpha servers will be up and down all day. This bonus time is for more rigorous Science. #pardonourdust

Just got in a queue of 390+ - was waiting for around 10 minutes to get in to be presented with a "Destiny servers are unavailable" message. I try again and now im in a queue of 843. Sure as hell hope this doesn't happen at launch.

I think long queues will be certain at launch. Anyway just got in to the game so the wait wasn't that long for me

WideSide

Neo Member
Just thought I would share this PVP video I made. It's my first Share Factory video of some crucible kills in the Alpha.

I could only get footage from three saved PVP games, so there's not too many fancy kills, but still some good ones.

Enjoy!

Link: http://youtu.be/q6crnzzHQ2w

Aw, seems like the level cap is gonna be 20.
gfhCmcM.png

For now, hopefully.

some video show level 24 enemies that aren't yellow meaning that the player was within their level range and i didn't see it but apparently another video showed a player at level 33 will try to find the link to the bungie forums that shows this somone already posted it in here a few pages back

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Nice, getting loot and new gear is too much fun. Unlike BL2 where there is so much shit you just stop bothering after a while.

yes, i think destiny got the perfect balance. you get enough stuff to be motivated, but not so much that you don't care anymore.

and the lvl 20 cap is okay, you still level up your space magic/weapons/gear.

majik13

been meaning to bring this up. So has there been a lot of features stripped from the game?

I know this is alpha but, usually an alpha is feature complete. and a good indication of how a final game will play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WBNdrJMwrkc#t=117

So after watching this, I noticed a lot of extra stuff in this gameplay that is not in the alpha.

-ships flying overhead dropping off joining players 1:58, 12:12
-being able to explore the huge expanse(though I am guessing they have just put up a death wall for the alpha, but there also isnt really a designed path leading the player out urging them to explore that huge expanse in alpha. It also looks it could be somewhat barren, with no real points of interest)
-Using the ghost to light up an area. 3:40
-The ghost turning on facility lights in that big warehouse area. 4:35
-Unique enemy entrances (climbing down from ceiling rafters, etc) 5:07
- ship warping in and destroying towers in the far distance and causing shockwave for public event. 9:11

Some of this stuff might just be for specific missions that arent in the alpha, but I am guessing the game has just been paired back overall. Like the removal of some tessellation that was in this demo, but not the alpha. Sorry if this has been discussed. just wondering what GAF thinks or if Bungie has addressed these omissions?

I'm still getting the game and enjoyed the alpha, but looks like it could have potentially been cooler.

I saw this and was slightly concerned. Hopefully it takes a lot longer to level up after 8... i know a lot of us got to 8 VERY quickly.

I believe that Bungie stated that they wanted players to be able to reach maximum level fairly quickly (probably to have access to main class abilities?) but there would be plenty of content that would encourage players to continue improving their character through better equipment.

Found an article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-turns-into-diablo-when-you-hit-the-level-cap

Eurogamer Article said:
What happens when you hit the level cap in Destiny? Green says getting there is "actually a pretty quick process". "We wanted levelling up and reaching a cap something you don't look at and say, 'well, that will take me weeks so therefore I can't play with my friends who are already at the level cap.'

Once you do hit the cap, Destiny is more about gaining and equipping the gear that will let you go deeper into the game, Green explained, calling it the "gear collection game". This is where the comparison with Blizzard's action role-playing game Diablo comes in.

At the cap more Strikes present themselves, six-player Raids become available and there are higher levels of PvP you can engage in with better weapons and armour. You can also unlock more abilities on your focus, which is a "longer tail process", Green says. Expect to work long and hard to unlock all the third tier options within your focus.

Essentially, the Destiny endgame is about doing activities to get the drops you want. Green compares the experience to Diablo, "in the sense that it's about moving onto the more horizontal growth - trying new abilities and builds and weapons, with the same element of growing more powerful as a character so I can do the harder activities that exist in the world."

But Bungie will also work to ensure there is something new to do in the world every day of the year.

Bizazedo

Expectations are one thing, but people extrapolating out of one vague tweet is a little much.

It's not, that's what people who play these games do :). Also, wasn't there supposed to be a mission on Sunday night..? Yeah..

Their later tweets make it more obvious it's a stress test, though, so all good.

I believe that Bungie stated that they wanted players to be able to reach maximum level fairly quickly (probably to have access to main class abilities?) but there would be plenty of content that would encourage players to continue improving their character through better equipment.

Found an article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-turns-into-diablo-when-you-hit-the-level-cap

I haven't played MMORPGs a lot but I think Destiny is gonna make me love raids.

A level 20 level cap makes sense because Activision signed bungie to a 10 year deal of making Destiny.

Having them add 10 levels to the level cap every year would at least give people a sense of progression and enemies that scale to that level that lvl 20s won't be able to take on.

Gav47

Aw, seems like the level cap is gonna be 20.
http://i.imgur.com/gfhCmcM.png[IMG]

For now, hopefully.[/QUOTE]

They've got 10 games/expansions to come, gotta start out low.

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oPtpOsW.jpg

I call this shot "A precursor to launch day". Sony really needs to let us save bitmaps of screenshot, their jpeg compression is terrible.

It's a good sign that Bungie tests the network so much, to the point they even test the future beta. Activision is betting so much on this game, they can't afford the launch to be like Diablo 3's. It has to be playable from Day 1.

Edit: Now I can see the ambition. They've made a game with the gear diversity of MMORPGs or Diablo, with the graphic fidelity of a modern FPS. There are a lot of weapon and armor models, that must have been expensive. Not to mention the huge map and the incredibly sexy interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom