• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 16-22 | Put Down Your Pikachus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne

Probably not. P4A had 4 people in Top 8 from the US. Should be interesting for BB.

Also,

https://twitter.com/honzogonzo/status/480099281471160320

lol

P4A is a much different kind of game than BB with a much different legacy of players. If we have a decent number of JP players having 4 US players in there would be a pretty big upset. Last year we figured LK/BKen would get top 8 and maybe another, so 4 wasn't a huge shocker besides the fact we thought Spark was dead.

Malice215

I wonder whether companies think of money like this as an investment they will profit off of, or as a deserved "thank you" to the most dedicated fans.

I'm sure they do so for various reasons. Partly to show their appreciation to the community, partly to give more exposure to their current game, partly to give exposure to what they have coming out in the future by supporting an event.

I actually hope Marvel dies off with Ultra at EVO. With how Capcom has been dealing with everything, unless they announce something good within the end of the year, they deserve a lot of failures for making their fanbase irritated.

As much as I love to joke about Marvel being buttcheeks, it won't die. Marvel will still get crossover to keep it alive. Even with the drop in numbers Marvel has, it's still the second most popular game at tournaments. And if these players weren't playing Marvel, then they'd be playing Ultra because they're not going to pick up a game outside of the Capcom realm.

We'll see what happens after EVO.

Kalamari

This was dying to be reposted.

iocoi1vyBTJcT.gif

Anne

Yeah but I think we can agree it'll likely be a very Japan-heavy top 8 right?

Oh yeah for sure. America just isn't quite there for BB, we have a couple players who can almost be there but quite a few who are just not there. I know some people will see this and cry foul, but it's better to be realistic. The anime scene has had a problem with delusion and skill levels recently.

The thing is, let's say 8 JP players show, we already have an okay shot at a couple people making top 8 anyways, then brackets happen and there you have it. You also have to account for other factors like the JP player's comfort levels and blah blah.

MrWizard

Evo Co-Founder
Money does not dictate the order of events at Evo.

Besides there are finals on Friday and Saturday just like last year.

Busaiku

There were already like 8-10 people confirmed, excluding guys that aren't top players in BlazBlue specifically but play at Evo and whatnot, like Tokido.

BlazBlue on Friday confirmed.

Anne

There were already like 8-10 people confirmed, excluding guys that aren't top players in BlazBlue specifically but play at Evo and whatnot, like Tokido.

Name 'em off for me. I admittedly haven't kept up recently due to nuking my twitter.

"Man, I find 236 way harder on 2P side than 1P side."

WHAT MOTION DO YOU MEAN MAN

When picking up SF4..or any fighting game, and looking at the commands in the menu, did you have hard time?

WHAT SIDE DO YOU MEAN MAN

In the same vein as number notation, the directional inputs assume 1p player default/the character is facing the right. That' the basis of the notation entirely. The problem you and karst have is that you're looking at this as 6 translates into the direction "right" and 4 is "left". 6 is actually "forward" and 4 is actually "back"

Secondly, countries who don't have english as their native language don't use terms like QCF and they get by just fine. 236 is universal.

Karsticles said:
YOU: "Imagine a number pad. If you don't recall the specific numbers on a number pad, go look at one. Okay, now roll your stick in the motions of the 2, 3, and 6 buttons. Unless you are on the other side. Then you should do 2, 1, and 4."

The first way seems much easier to me.

That's just terrible teaching. Not only are you just throwing multiple concepts at this person all at once but no one who actually understands the notation would say do 214 on the other side to do a fireball.

And I think you're giving too much credit to the term "quarter circle forward" and similar notation. No one who's new to fighting games understands what that is intuitively. They understand single directions however, like forward and down. Teaching anyone, you would be forced to approach the same starting point with either notation.

Oh yeah for sure. America just isn't quite there for BB, we have a couple players who can almost be there but quite a few who are just not there. I know some people will see this and cry foul, but it's better to be realistic. The anime scene has had a problem with delusion and skill levels recently.

The thing is, let's say 8 JP players show, we already have an okay shot at a couple people making top 8 anyways, then brackets happen and there you have it. You also have to account for other factors like the JP player's comfort levels and blah blah.

Yeah sounds about right.

I think the most amusing result would be if the top 8 manages to be more international than just Japan and US. I have no faith in that happening but it'd be great if it did.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
iocoi1vyBTJcT.gif

This gif is so appropriate to this conversation.

As much as I love to joke about Marvel being buttcheeks, it won't die. Marvel will still get crossover to keep it alive. Even with the drop in numbers Marvel has, it's still the second most popular game at tournaments. And if these players weren't playing Marvel, then they'd be playing Ultra because they're not going to pick up a game outside of the Capcom realm.

We'll see what happens after EVO.

I know... But still, I will forever be salty.

In before there is a schedule change!

Anne

Can't remember all, but I can remember...
N Man, Matoi, Dogura, Dora, Tsujikawa, Galileo, and Hima.

This was like a month or 2 ago too.

I remember seeing all of those except Galileo and Hima. It was maybe 2 weeks before UFGT that I just couldn't handle AFGC socially anymore.

That's not QCF and QCB though, that's anime notation with the numbers swapped for arrows.

and? you want me to look up SFIV specifically?

zangief.jpg

are you really saying that these swipe motions are more intuitive than showing the actual directional inputs (anime notation as you label it)?

how does this even address your side swapping concern? do you even have a point anymore?

Busaiku

With all this money and a Sunday spot on lock, that probably means ArcSys will announce new Guilty Gear Xrd characters.
This is probably the best time to announce Bridget.

I believe.

Anne

I didn't remember Hima but I think I remember Galileo. Also Grandia and Yoshiki are going. :D

I swear I remember hearing that Grandia got bodied by work when I was on mumble the other night. Yoshiki Nu though? That makes me pretty happy, everybody loves Nu.

You don't know immediately if the commands represent 1p or 2p side. You also don't know in anime notation, as somebody could either be referring to doing a 236 motion (in general, to perform a hadoken) or doing a 236 motion (in that instance, to do a tatsu on 2p side). If I say 236+k for 2p tatsu with the whole "look at your keyboard to find out what the hell I mean" logic, that is right by what I am visually seeing, right by the motion I am doing in the game, but wrong by the rule of the notation that 6 actually means forwards, when on the keyboard and in the game it clearly means right. The notation itself is thus at fault - it is unclear, open to interpretation and only made clear by inventing a rule that has to be further explained.

QCF, on the other hand, *always* means from down to forwards. If I say I flubbed a QCF motion, you know exactly what I mean 100% of the time. I don't need to mentally pull up a keyboard in my head or use context to determine if I am referring to a QCF or a 2P QCB.

I should also point out the obviously stupid notation that is a 720 in anime:

63214789632147896+p.

OceanBlue

Grandia's not. Work overrode his plans.

I swear I remember hearing that Grandia got bodied by work when I was on mumble the other night. Yoshiki Nu though? That makes me pretty happy, everybody loves Nu.

Oh shit, I missed that.

I should also point out the obviously stupid notation that is 2x360 in anime:

63214789632147896+p.

Most of your posts regarding how people use "anime notation" have been pretty exaggerated and misguided but this is the height of ridiculousness.

When picking up SF4..or any fighting game, and looking at the commands in the menu, did you have hard time?
Those are arrows, not numbers. Yes, as kids, me and all of my friends would flip the inputs sometimes because of how they are displayed. Then some games started to flip the inputs based on which side you are on, and that confused the confusion!

That's just terrible teaching. Not only are you just throwing multiple concepts at this person all at once but no one who actually understands the notation would say do 214 on the other side to do a fireball.

And I think you're giving too much credit to the term "quarter circle forward" and similar notation. No one who's new to fighting games understands what that is intuitively. They understand single directions however, like forward and down. Teaching anyone, you would be forced to approach the same starting point with either notation.
I know the teaching is terrible - the point is to show how much you have to talk about to demonstrate a simple point. I stand by my point, and you definitely have not disproved it just by disagreeing.

Anne

We just refer to 720 motions as 720 motions. Numpad notation seems to work easier for us since it's faster to type out and easier to describe wonky motions or inputs you have to do. Melty air backdashes are a good example.

Most of your posts regarding how people use "anime notation" have been pretty exaggerated and misguided but this is the height of ridiculousness.

That is 720 in anime though, right? I'm staring at my keyboard right now. If I start at forwards, and do two 360s, the notation reads as 63214789632147896.

EDIT:

We just refer to 720 motions as 720 motions

Then you're using SF notation because it's clearer. I think this is pretty much it - like I said above, you use anime notation for awkward motions or for absolute clarity. There's no argument from me there. But as a general replacement for QCF, 360, QCB, I think it fails on too many levels to be worth picking up.

Kumubou

Using numeric notation is a really good way to piss off Tekken players -- especially when you use American labeling for the attack buttons. :p

Anime having the biggest prize pool at Evo? Did we finally make it? ;~;
The games with the two biggest pots at Evo 2012 were VF5:FS and MK9... so nope. I'm legitimately surprised ArcSys is throwing that much money at Evo, though. That's what, $17,500 guaranteed for first place? That's on top of whatever the prize pool is, and with BB actually having players show up for once that may not be insignificant.

BlazBlue is actually on Sunday! Yay Anime!
So you're saying it's not time to move on, for once? :3

i started from SF and in terms of character notation, keypad is 100x better than SF in games that have specific normals. Like 2A, 3A, and 1A.

The whole "but but 720p would be 6321478963214789 ! and if you use 720 to note a 720 then SF is clearer!"

Why not use both of them to make it clearer. No need to use just one.

Busaiku

The games with the two biggest pots at Evo 2012 were VF5:FS and MK9... so nope. I'm legitimately surprised ArcSys is throwing that much money at Evo, though. That's what, $17,500 guaranteed for first place? That's on top of whatever the prize pool is, and with BB actually having players show up for once that may not be insignificant.

Street Fighter had $25k, Mortal Kombat $23k, and Marvel and Viruta Fighter were both $15k.
Those were with the bonuses.

i started from SF and in terms of character notation, keypad is 100x better than SF in games that have specific normals. Like 2A, 3A, and 1A.

100x better is a bit of an exaggeration for having to add one extra letter sometimes to type "d.L, df.L, and db.L".

Also I like using LMH instead of ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom