• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you hate getting comboed in fighting games for 10+ seconds?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Necrobump, schneckrobump idgaf. Considering that it just released a couple weeeks ago i could say that SF6 is another game like that. Combos don't exceed 6 hits most of the time and it is very much moreso focused on strategy than another game like Tekken or Guilty gear. Infact most Street Fighter games aren't like this, especially pre SF5 when the execution barrier for them is not as easy.

Personally all this anti combo stuff is scrubtalk. Executing a combo you've practiced in a match is hype as hell and you deserve the damage.

Last edited:

mxbison

No.

I hate watching the same cinematic Supercombo animation hundreds of times. That stuff is fun to watch for like the first 3 days and then just annoying.

cireza

I really dislike long combos in fighting games, not particularly being the one that endures them. Having a friend at home and destroying him with a 1 hour long combo is exactly satisfying. I like it when everybody has fun. I also dislike super attacks that last for 2 hours. They get old after the first time.

Give me back the simplicity and spontaneity of games like the old KoFs. The true spectacle wasn't the stupid cinematic with close-ups on character faces, but the entire fight itself.

Last edited:

dezzy8

Yes and that’s why I try my best to not get hit. But when I’m in the middle of a 10 second combo it’s the best.

Necrobump, schneckrobump idgaf. Considering that it just released a couple weeeks ago i could say that SF6 is another game like that. Combos don't exceed 6 hits most of the time and it is very much moreso focused on strategy than another game like Tekken or Guilty gear. Infact most Street Fighter games aren't like this, especially pre SF5 when the execution barrier for them is not as easy.

Personally all this anti combo stuff is scrubtalk. Executing a combo you've practiced in a match is hype as hell and you deserve the damage.
Oh shit we got a real one here. PM me and let’s play a set in SF6, since I’m a filthy scrub who doesn’t like getting combo’d for 10 sec I’ll probably lose 😈

Demigod Mac

There's something lost when you take away player agency for an excessive period of time.
It's far more interesting to me when both players have agency and the outcome of the match is determined by pitting their decisions and reaction times against each other.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I also dislike super attacks that last for 2 hours.
I hate watching the same cinematic Supercombo animation hundreds of times
What grinds my gears is all this cinematic supers,
:( I love the cinematic supers! It's not like you had much control over them to begin with in older games, and the longer animations are usually reserved for lv3, they are not common on all characters. I love seeing the insane amount of effort that goes into making them
But, I suppose they could be replaced with a faster more standard variant to satisfy people like you all who get tired of watching them all the time

Getting OTG (Off the ground) comboed annoys me the most.
honestly this annoys me more than regular combos. You can always find a hole in someones combo and resume blocking if they screw up/attack to late, on ground anyways
In air, it's just fuckin impossible. They're fun to watch but not so much on the recieving end.
That's why you play the best fighting game of all time: Windjammers
Wouldn't say its the best of all time but Windjammers 1 and 2 are both masterpieces. People who dont like fighitng games could do with some windjammers
Oh shit we got a real one here. PM me and let’s play a set in SF6, since I’m a filthy scrub who doesn’t like getting combo’d for 10 sec I’ll probably lose 😈
WOW!!!!!

Well I'm not one to refuse a fight... I'll PM you later with my capcom ID, lol

Last edited:
:( I love the cinematic supers! It's not like you had much control over them to begin with in older games, and the longer animations are usually reserved for lv3, they are not common on all characters. I love seeing the insane amount of effort that goes into making them
But, I suppose they could be replaced with a faster more standard variant to satisfy people like you all who get tired of watching them all the time

honestly this annoys me more than regular combos. You can always find a hole in someones combo and resume blocking if they screw up/attack to late, on ground anyways
In air, it's just fuckin impossible. They're fun to watch but not so much on the recieving end.

Wouldn't say its the best of all time but Windjammers 1 and 2 are both masterpieces. People who dont like fighitng games could do with some windjammers

WOW!!!!!

Well I'm not one to refuse a fight... I'll PM you later with my capcom ID, lol

Nice, should be fun. Haven’t played for weeks, got sucked into Genshin impact… can’t find the motivation to play anything else… 😬
Maybe this will get me back into SF6

Painskiller

No. Because I am the one who knocks.
BB-S5B-Walt-590.jpg

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If I start getting combo'd the first thing I'm thinking about is "will it kill?". If not, then I'm watching for them to drop the combo, giving me an opportunity to counter. If they don't drop then I'm watching how they end it and to see if they'll have oki. If they have oki and choose to act on it then I'm considering whether I'm blocking, mashing, jumping or attempting a throw tech.

I never once thought of putting the controller down.

Last edited:
I mean in the fighting games I play, if you are getting combo'd for 10 seconds that person is just fucking better than you lmao deal with it.

Usually executing such combos takes skill and alot of practice any way. And in the fighters I play, theres ways to avoid it, or even stop it.

The fuck are we talking about here? What have we become lol

If I start getting combo'd the first thing I'm thinking about is "will it kill?". If not, then I'm watching for them to drop the combo, giving me an opportunity to counter. If they don't drop then I'm watching how they end it and to see if they'll have oki. If they have oki and choose to act on it then I'm considering whether I'm blocking, mashing, jumping or attempting a throw tech.

I never once thought of putting the controller down.

Exactly^

Shut0wen

Depends on the game, marvel vs capcom series is literally made for the 10+ combo, while also being able to get out of the combo depending on who is on your team, killer instinct another great series made for it while also easy to perform combo breakers, street fighter 6 has went the same path as well, mk imo is the most infuriating one since combos arnt essentially that hard to pull off unlike games like tekken and dead or alive

Top Bottom