• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
methane47 said:
....worst looking terrorist .... ...... ever
I was going to post something obscure to prove you wrong...

But then I saw the post you were referring to and I knew that I was wrong in the assumption that it wasn't that bad. It is.

Arsenic

BobsRevenge said:
I was going to post something obscure to prove you wrong...

But then I saw the post you were referring to and I knew that I was wrong in the assumption that it wasn't that bad. It is.
Worse thing is, i cant even explain why it looks so terrible. it just does

oh well. as long as the game moves and animates correctly.

sucks to see the mobility bullshit is back

Doel

Arsenic said:

You mean encumbrance? It works properly this time. When you drop stuff (ammo/guns), you become lighter.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Arsenic said:

Crappy art?

lol this game has the creepiest looking human art i've seen in recent memory. The environments look great...but man the character artists must have spent way too much time getting used to working with the PSP.

Maggot9

Banned
Arsenic said:

can't you customize your character? just makes yours WITHOUT hockey shin pads

When is this game coming out? The first Socom game was the first online-enabled game I played and got hooked on it pretty bad. Loved the hit-detection and no-life bars from the first. Loved the rounds/no-respawning and levels. Are they bringing back any old fan favorites, like Frostfire or Desert Glory? Is Boomer still out of the game? :p I can't wait.

Arsenic

Verboten said:
When is this game coming out? The first Socom game was the first online-enabled game I played and got hooked on it pretty bad. Loved the hit-detection and no-life bars from the first. Loved the rounds/no-respawning and levels. Are they bringing back any old fan favorites, like Frostfire or Desert Glory? Is Boomer still out of the game? :p I can't wait.
Game been delayed to Oct. 14th.
No Frostfire im not sure of but i think there were reports of a desert glory? (Doel help mee)

Doel said:
You mean encumbrance? It works properly this time. When you drop stuff (ammo/guns), you become lighter.
Yes the idea is better, but i wonder if you carry an M60 and a RPG you'll be running as fast as normal human beings walk. It was pretty stupid in Socom 3.

Sol.. said:
Crappy art?

lol this game has the creepiest looking human art i've seen in recent memory. The environments look great...but man the character artists must have spent way too much time getting used to working with the PSP.
Probably, I know the graphics were bad with the original socoms but atleast a terrorist looked like a damn terrorist. That guy looked like an american wearing a halloween costume.

Maggot9 said:
can't you customize your character? just makes yours WITHOUT hockey shin pads
:lol i would hope so man
also seems like they give you the option to wear some name-brand sneakers.

Doel

Verboten said:
Frostfire, Desert Glory, and Crossroads are in the initial release. There will of course be DLC as well. Look forward to that too :D

Doel

Arsenic said:
Probably, I know the graphics were bad with the original socoms but atleast a terrorist looked like a damn terrorist. That guy looked like an american wearing a halloween costume.
There are no "terrorists" in this game. Sony restrictions after they got into some legal battles, I guess they just want to completely prevent any problems so they are "Mercenaries". Slant Six is doing an admirable job of trying to get some terrorist looking people in there though without completely making it obvious.

And yes you can fully customize your character for each side.

Doel

Dev Q&A 12 is up.

Dev Q&A 12
Posted by David “Point Man” Brothers

Dev Q&A! David Seymour is answering your questions. I love the news about encumbrance and that the friends lists will all be the same. I'm a big fan of making things like that as simple and easy to understand as possible. Who all likes that sniping news?

Will confrontation's friends list be a mirror of your xmb friends list, or will it be an independent supplement to the xmb list?
The Confrontation friends list will be the same as your XMB friends list.

Will sniping be relatively the same as SOCOM 3???
It will be similar but because this is not a port there are going to be some differences. Quick sniping is no longer possible!

Can the proximity chat be turned off? Will the player be able to turn it off and just use PTT?
Proximity chat is always on. If you don’t want to give away your position or that of your team then you will have to use your mic tactically, whisper into the mic or otherwise be aware of your position relative to the enemy.

Since there will be a weight factor concerning weapons and such, if you shoot and your ammo decreases, does your speed increase? Same with throwing grenades, smokes, etc.

The encumbrance system is completely real-time, and updates as you expend ordnance such as grenades and rockets.

Doel

vercity82 said:
Any word on when the beta will go live been now 2months as 3rd Qore out today and we aint herd no word.
Private beta isn't even out yet (even though it's been done for 3 weeks). I honestly don't know. I would have to assume its going to be sent out soon. It's in Sony's hands.

I imagine the Open Beta will be released late-August or early September.

Doel

f_kickm_76a776f.gif

Someone posted this on the playstation.com boards. Priceless :lol

J-Rzez

Doel said:
Someone posted this on the playstation.com boards. Priceless :lol

Great stuff! I hope there's a larger variety of dance than usual. Would be even nicer if you can pick say three dances from a pool and set them custom to your guy, so you only get those.

Doel

Gamecocks625 said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but here is the boxart:

61M%2BuINF89L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Nice, they added a background to it like I suggested. Before it was just the Seal dude with a plain black background. Was VERY bland. I like this one though.

Arsenic

Doel said:
There are no "terrorists" in this game. Sony restrictions after they got into some legal battles, I guess they just want to completely prevent any problems so they are "Mercenaries". Slant Six is doing an admirable job of trying to get some terrorist looking people in there though without completely making it obvious.

And yes you can fully customize your character for each side.
Doel, you know damn well most Socom veterans will still be saying Terrorists :D . Mercenaries is a word that doesnt come out right.

Regardless from trying to make it not look like a traditional terrorist, it still looks more comic than intimidating.

Doel

Sneak peak at awards.

Sneak Peek: Awards
Posted by David “Point Man” Brothers

It's always nice to see your accomplishments rewarded, and it's even better when other people can see what you've done.

The Awards in SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation are an easy way to gauge your progress and skill in the game. Fulfilling certain requirements, from killing X number of people to getting Y number of headshots, gives you progress toward a series of medals. Once you've completed the requirements for a medal, it's added to your profile.

There are a few different kinds of Awards. You can gain Performance Awards, which are based on your in-game performance, such as killing a certain amount of enemies in a row without dying, nailing headshots, and so on. Service Awards tend to involve persistence-- playing fifty games, for example, or playing ten matches in each mode or on each map. I'm really digging Weapon Awards, too. One of the top Awards needs a thousand kills with an assault rifle, among other things.

Each type of Award has its own set of tiers. It isn't just a matter of win an award and you're done-- it's more like "earn an award and then work your butt off toward the next one." There's a lot of ground to cover. The best part is that the Awards and medals show up on your profile, so everyone can see just how amazing, or not, you are.

I'm really happy about this. It's going to get people to use different guns and such, like Resistance. I assume that many of these will be tied to Trophies as well.

I like the boxart and I like trophies. Now where is the open beta staying :(.

Private beta started already? (upper left corner on the character custom. screen)

I don't like the interface, it's too clean, too less green.

Doel

Private beta hasn't been sent out to anyone except people within Slant Six and Sony. It's been done for weeks (was in Private beta at E3). No idea what is taking Sony so long to send it out.

tuco11

Just wondering is the "change of rate of fire" ie burst, full auto, still mapped to pushhing in the right analog stick? I always hated being in the middle of a fire fire and accidentally changing that due to heavy thumbs. :lol

Doel

tuco11 said:
Just wondering is the "change of rate of fire" ie burst, full auto, still mapped to pushhing in the right analog stick? I always hated being in the middle of a fire fire and accidentally changing that due to heavy thumbs. :lol
No. They changed that to one of the face button now I believe.

Regardless. The controls are completely customizable.

-viper-

Banned
mr stroke said:
socom-confrontation-200807150539345.jpg

looking good, do we have a release date yet?
afsgasgasf.

I can't believe how good that looks. That is in-game, right? How on earth did they get the game looking as good as that? Previously it looked pretty shit if I'm being honest.

Doel

Bundles/Pricing Announced:

Which SOCOM: Confrontation to buy?
Posted by Seth Luisi
I'm happy to announce we have finalized our release plans for SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation. On the week of October 14th, you'll be able to pick up one of the following versions of SOCOM: Confrontation in North America.

$59.99 SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
(Bundle Version)

Includes SOCOM Confrontation, a newly designed Bluetooth® Headset for the PLAYSTATION®3 system and exclusive Behind the Scenes videos.

$39.99 SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
(Stand Alone Version)

For all of the people who want SOCOM: Confrontation on a disc. Does not include the headset or the Behind the Scenes videos.

$39.99 SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation on the
PlayStation Network

SOCOM Confrontation downloadable from the PSN without ever leaving you couch. Does not include the headset or the Behind the Scenes videos.

Details for the rest of the world will be announced by the regional Sony Computer Entertainment offices, but our goal is to have a simultaneous world wide release.

Let the preordering begin!

Source

:D

dralla

Are we ever going to get non-urban maps? Foxhunt is just begging to be remade, it would be awesome with all the foliage they could add for cover..I really just need some more organic maps.

Doel

dralla said:
Are we ever going to get non-urban maps? Foxhunt is just begging to be remade, it would be awesome with all the foliage they could add for cover..I really just need some more organic maps.
I agree, and I hope.

dralla

so I'm playing S2 and I'm trying to plant the bomb and the stupid "drop bomb" icon keeps popping up instead of "demolition", fuck I hate when that shit happens. all my hard work, wasted

Snipes424

-viper- said:
afsgasgasf.

I can't believe how good that looks. That is in-game, right? How on earth did they get the game looking as good as that? Previously it looked pretty shit if I'm being honest.

That's probably why people should hold their judgment until the game actually comes out... but it's probably some of their fault as well for showing it too early.

Doel

Just announced at SOCOM.com, the SOCOM Confrontation open beta will be starting on September 1st and going till September 30th. All details are here.

I'm happy to be able to share information on the SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Public Beta.

When does it start?
The SOCOM Confrontation Public Beta will start on September 1st and end on September 30th; a whole month of SOCOM goodness.

How to Get In?
There are two ways to get into the SOCOM: Confrontation Public Beta

GameStop Preorder Campaign
Some of you may have already seen we have started an exclusive preorder Public Beta campaign with GameStop. If you preorder SOCOM: Confrontation at GameStop, not only will you be able to access the SOCOM: Confrontation Public Beta on day 1 but you will also be able to share the code you receive from Sony PlayStation with two friends as well. SOCOM is all about team work and what better way to encourage team work than to make it easy for you and a couple of friends to get online in the Public Beta. We want you to spread the word about SOCOM and share the experience with your friends so get down to your local GameStop and pick up your voucher or pre-order here.

2740139484_23cf6a1efa.jpg
2739300633_baa1828a36.jpg

QORE™ presented by the PLAYSTATION®Network
If you downloaded the June issue of QORE, you, too, will be able to participate. You will be able to download the SOCOM: Confrontation Public Beta from within the application starting on September 8th and play through to September 30th.

The Fine Print
This should be obvious, but you must have a PSN account in order to download and participate in the SOCOM: Confrontation Public Beta. You can sign up for a PSN account online.

This information only applies for North America. Details about the SOCOM: Confrontation Public Beta in other parts of the world will be announced by the regional Sony Computer Entertainment offices.

Let the Games Begin!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
So if you pre-order from Gamestop you get into the beta Day 1 while Qore users have to wait until the 8th? Seems odd.

Doel

I was in the process of moving, so I was gone for a few days.

Take a look at Frostfire there on the monitor:
2744029745_3ff39dfedf_o.jpg

A look at medals/trophies:
2744866846_b03709b188_o.jpg

And the beta codes are being given out now at GameStops (in the US) and EB Games (in Canada). Open beta doesn't start till Sept 1st.

Joe211

great job on this topic Doel

by the way if someone wants to share his beta code with I'll be more than happy (Europe inside)

ravien56

I havent paid much attention to this game(or previews alone, seeing how its all hype marketing these days) but how close or not close is this to the original socoms? I've played all the games, and loved the multiplayer, are they trying to make this more like socom 2? also, do they have the pre-order bonus beta in Canada?

Arsenic

dralla said:
so I'm playing S2 and I'm trying to plant the bomb and the stupid "drop bomb" icon keeps popping up instead of "demolition", fuck I hate when that shit happens. all my hard work, wasted
Oh the glory days :lol

Frostfire looks damn accurate. hopefully they didnt mess with the crates.

Top Bottom