• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

cdyhybrid

WR - The Packers starting four are set: Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin, and rookie Davonte Adams. Jared Abbrederis is likely a lock for the fifth spot. For the sixth spot, I'd watch for a competition between Chris Harper and rookie Jeff Janis.

Is this the same Chris Harper that Niners-Age threw a party for when they picked him up after we cut him?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
ncsupd.gif

0383_ddf92.gif

MRSA

Banned
I feel as though I was just violated by Gamestop.

I put on hold a copy of The Last of Us, I just picked it up and it was apparently their last copy. The degenerate asshole handed me a "new" copy that was obviously opened. I was like......wtf.......after a quick exchange of words, I paid the scumbag before I committed simple assault with my choice of words for him. If it weren't for me having $35 trade in credit I probably would've tipped over a magazine rack and told him to eat a bag of dicks.

I feel as though I should escalate this issue.....

RBH

I put on hold a copy of The Last of Us, I just picked it up and it was apparently their last copy. The degenerate asshole handed me a "new" copy that was obviously opened. I was like......wtf.......after a quick exchange of words, I paid the scumbag before I committed simple assault with my choice of words for him. If it weren't for me having $35 trade in credit I probably would've tipped over a magazine rack and told him to eat a bag of dicks.

A day in the life of a Bucs fan.

Greg

I think they try that on every customer until someone takes it

if that shit isn't sealed, I get my money back

brentech

I think they try that on every customer until someone takes it

if that shit isn't sealed, I get my money back

When in lived in Columbus, the few times I bought something at GS, they did that.

My now local GS has never tried it on me. so at least there's that.

MRSA

Banned
I'm still upset about this, luckily I went across the street to buy more Bulliet bourbon.

I'm gonna call the manager tomorrow and escalate that shit to the district manager to escalate to corporate..........yeah nothing's gonna happen.

Sanjuro

I'm still upset about this, luckily I went across the street to buy more Bulliet bourbon.

I'm gonna call the manager tomorrow and escalate that shit to the district manager to escalate to corporate..........yeah nothing's gonna happen.

Take your business elsewhere, Buckaroo.

zychi

Banned
Played about 90 minutes of TLOU on ps4. Digging it so far. Streamed it all too, thought my mic was off, NOPE.

Gotta dig into the multiplayer a bit tomorrow.

New England Patriots

What to watch for in 2014:

2013 resulted in another failure for the Super Bowl-or-bust New England Patriots, falling to the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship Game, after a 12-4 season. Injuries to key contributors punctuated a season of inconsistent play despite wins, and a dominant performance in the Divisional Round against the Indianapolis Colts.

The Patriots are hungry for their fourth Super Bowl win, having not won the Super Bowl in a decade. This sentiment is firmly driven home by recent comments from owner Robert Kraft. The team is putting its hopes on a fortified defense, a hopefully-improved offense, and good health to return to glory in 2014.

No projections, but notable names:

Offense

In 2013, the New England Patriots offense was inconsistent at best, incompetent at worst. Whether it was QB Tom Brady's declining skills, drops from receivers, the offensive line having a subpar season, or the inability to run the ball, the offense had as many lows at it had highs. There were some blowouts and high output games, but the Josh McDaniels-led offense failed to put points on the board when it mattered.

QB: Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, Jimmy Garoppolo

This is Brady's team, declining skills and all. Head Coach Bill Belichick shocked most people by drafting Garoppolo in the second round, all but guaranteeing Mallett's departure at the end of the season. Having failed to trade the second-string QB so far, expect the Pats to carry all three QBs. As the team only carried Brady and Mallett last year, this will take a spot from one of the bubble players on the roster.

RB: Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, James White, Brandon Bolden, Roy Finch

Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen are the two clear locks. Ridley, despite a decent statistical season, had pronounced fumbling issues. Vereen had an inconsistent season after missing some time due to injury. Ridley will need to be the bellcow back that everyone thinks he could be after the departure of LeGarrette Blount. Early reports from OTAs and training camp say good things about James White and Roy Finch, with White being a favorite to make his way onto the roster. Expect White, Finch, and Brandon Bolden to battle for 1 or 2 spots.

FB: James Develin

The Patriots have carried Develin on the roster for the past couple of seasons, with the former Bengal carving his role in this offense. I believe his roster spot is pretty secure.

WR: Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, Josh Boyce, Brandon LaFell, Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, Matthew Slater

It was an up-and-down season for the receiver corps, which made use of three first-year players in Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, and Josh Boyce. The hope there is for them to take the next step in 2014, although Dobson's foot injury bears watching. Julian Edelman is coming off a great injury-free season filling the role that everyone thought Danny Amendola would fill. The question becomes who will be the end zone target out of this group, and whether any of these receivers can help provide some balance to the Patriots passing attack. Matthew Slater still projects to be filling primarily a special team role.

TE: Rob Gronkowski, Michael Hoomanawanui, D.J. Williams

All eyes will be on the health of Rob Gronkowski, one of the most, if not the most, important player in the Patriots' offense next to Tom Brady. Gronkowski's impact cannot be overstated; in 2013, the offense looked a lot better for the handful of games he was on the field. The Hooman, Michael Hoomanawanui is locked in as Gronkowski's backup and primarily will be a blocking TE.

OL: Chris Barker, Marcus Cannon, Braxton Cave, Dan Connolly, Jordan Devey, Cameron Fleming, Jon Halapio, Josh Kline, Logan Mankins, Nate Solder, Bryan Stork, Sebastian Vollmer, Ryan Wendell

2013 was a disappointing season for the offensive line, which failed to protect Tom Brady well throughout the season. A season-ending injury to Sebastian Vollmer complicated matters for the underperforming line, which led to the drafting of Bryan Stork, Cameron Fleming, and Jon Halapio in an attempt to bolster the line. It will be interesting to see how the young players develop, with the retirement of longtime offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia. Expect LT Nate Solder, LG Logan Mankins, and RT Vollmer to retain their spots. Dan Connolly and Ryan Wendell could face issues making the roster with the new additions.

Defense

Bend but not break was again the theme for Belichick and defensive coordinator Matt Patricia's defense, as the team never gave up more than 31 points in a single game throughout the season. However, the defense was maddeningly inconsistent and were frequently unable to get off the field on 3rd down. The inability to produce key stops also was a point of sore contention, as the defense coped with injuries to leaders Jerod Mayo and Vince Wilfork. The 2014 defense does look bright however, with a handful of high-impact acquisitions in the offseason, and on paper one of the better defenses New England has had in the past decade.

DL: Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Sealver Siliga, Will Smith, Joe Vellano, Chris Jones, Michael Buchanan, Jake Bequette, Dominique Easley

2013 had a promising start for the Patriots' defensive line, which was able to get decent pressure and make plays. Injuries to Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly sapped the effectiveness of the D-line, although there were admirable efforts to replace those contributions form Chris Jones, Joe Vellano, and Sealver Siliga. However, this wasn't enough to relieve the pressure on ends Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich, who both ran out of gas with the lack of depth on the defensive line. To address this, the Patriots drafted Dominique Easley and signed Will Smith to hopefully provide the extra depth the Patriots need. Michael Buchanan figures to carve out a role on special teams, and expect Jones, Vellano, and Jake Bequette to fight for 1 or 2 spots. This is Bequette's last opportunity to find his place on the roster, having been mostly inactive since he was drafted.

LB: Jerod Mayo, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, James Anderson, Chris White, Steve Beauharnais, Ja'Gared Davis

What at times was a slow, plodding linebackers corps with an inability to cover, Dont'a Hightower made strides in the middle of the defense when Jerod Mayo went down for the season, and Jamie Collins flashed some of his potential. James Anderson figures to replace the contribution Dane Fletcher had in 2013, while Chris White, Steve Beauharnais, and Ja'Gared Davis will compete for the spot behind the top 4.

CB: Darrelle Revis, Brandon Browner, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Alfonso Dennard, Jemea Thomas

The departure of Aqib Talib incited some panic in Patriots fans during the offseason, but the team turned around and loaded up their secondary with the additions of former Jet/Buc Darrelle Revis, and former Seahawk Brandon Browner. Revis is now healthy after recovering from a torn ACL, and his health bears watching, although early reports are promising. Browner is suspended for the first four games of the season, and will need to acclimate quickly. The addition of these two will move Kyle Arrington firmly into a slot defender role, where he excels at. Logan Ryan and Alfonso Dennard are already good cornerbacks, though it is curious as to whether Ryan will get snaps at safety.

S: Devin McCourty, Duron Harmon, Patrick Chung, Tavon Wilson, Nate Ebner, Kanorris Davis

Devin McCourty has the free safety position locked up, no question, as a leader of this defense. The main question in the safety corps is going to be who starts beside him: 2nd year player Duron Harmon, fan punching bag Patrick Chung, or the underwhelming Tavon Wilson. You would have to figure Harmon has the inside track here, although the Patriots did look to re-sign Chung for a reason. This figures to be Wilson's last chance to stick around in the NFL, after the shock 2nd-round pick has failed to carve out a consistent role in the team. Nate Ebner looks to primarily be a special teamer.

Special Teams:

K: Stephen Gostkowski
P: Ryan Allen
LS: Danny Aiken, Tyler Ott

No real surprises here. Figure LS Danny Aiken to retain his spot, unless he gets injured or runs afoul of Belichick.

Summary:

There are some competitions here and there to fill in the back end of the roster, but the starters are mostly set. It is Super Bowl or bust for the 2014 New England Patriots, and to fall short of that again will be a failure. There is a decent shot if this team stays relatively healthy and plays to their potential, but the offense will need to defy their low expectations.

Syrinx

Tampa Bay Buccaneers-What To Watch For In 2015

In the wake of the long international nightmare that was Greg Schiano, a new regime has been established on Florida's Gulf Coast. The team has completely overhauled the front office, bringing in rookie GM Jason Licht from the Cardinals organization to head the ship. Veteran head coach Lovie Smith was brought in to lead the team after the team whiffed on two rookie head coaches previously in Raheem Morris and the aforementioned Schiano.

Offense

The offense will be run by new offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford, the former head coach of the University of California football team. In bringing in a coaching staff with a lot of experience, Tedford is the exception, having zero NFL coaching experience. His task isn't an easy one, as he is taking over the worst offense in the NFL last season. However, free agency as well as a draft that focused entirely on offense (all six of the Bucs selections were on offense) hope to make his job easier.

Quarterback:
One of the biggest additions in the offseason was bringing in veteran QB Josh McCown from the Bears. Filling in for Jay Cutler for a span last season, McCown excelled in the Bears offense, posting a 109.0 passer rating in 5 starts and 8 appearances. While not a stellar QB over his career, he is reliable and will provide a veteran presence, and could be a solid holdover until Mike Glennon is ready to take the reins for good. Glennon overall performed admirably last year, coming in to a team in turmoil in taking over for noted Taco Bell enthusiast Josh Freeman after he decided once and for all to be a pouty bitch with no work ethic. Glennon threw 19 TDs and just 9 INTs as a rookie; however his YPA was just 6.27, and with a team that looks to get back into winning ways sooner rather than later, he may not be ready just yet to take over for good. However after passing up on QBs in the draft, Smith and Tedford do seem to have confidence in him going forward.

Runningbacks
Easily the deepest part of the roster for the Buccaneers. Former stud rookie Doug Martin is back after missing the second half of last season due to a shoulder injury, and in an offense no longer run by Mike Sullivan, who would rather play with his prick than come up with any sort of inspired playcalling, it looks as if Martin will not have such a burden on his shoulders to be the only option, thus resulting in a lighter load. Rookie RB Charles Sims out of WVU seems to be a very similar player to Martin: a solid RB who excels at catching balls out of the backfield. Mike James and Bobby Rainey are back as well after performing decently in Martin's absence last season. as is Jeff Demps, who hopes to turn his explosive speed into actual production, something he's failed at thus far. Reports on his TC have been positive thus far.

Wide Recievers/Tight Ends
The focus here is obvious: size. After thriving throwing to big men Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey in Chicago, the Bucs have drafted WR Mike Evans and TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins with their first two picks and put them alongside Vincent Jackson to make three 6'5'' receivers on offense for McCown to throw to. Depth is an issue, as the team may be forced to rely on guys such as Chris Owusu and rookie sixth-round pick Robert Herron, who reportedly has had issues with drops in TC as the season goes on.

Offensive Line
Potentially the weak point of the Bucs offense. The team released long time LT Donald Penn in the offseason after it became clear he wasn't really the player he was anymore and brought in Anthony Collins to replace him. RT seems to be fine after Demarr Dotson posted a solid season in 2013. The team also brought in veteran center Evan Dietrich-Smith from the Packers. Guard is a major issue, however, and this was only made worse after the Bucs cut oft-injured guard Carl Nicks around a week ago. Jamon Meredith and 5th-round rookie Kadeem Edwards seem like the likely starters, but expect a lot of rotation here.

Defense

Veteran coach Leslie Frazier takes over as Bucs DC after being fired last season as the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings. Tampa Bay's defense last year ranked around league average, but with the talent they have on this side of the ball, it's very easy to be optimistic about their chances.

Defensive Line
Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy is one of the elite players at his position in the NFL, as well as one of the elite defenders overall. However, he was often a lone wolf on the Bucs defensive line last year. To address this, the team brought in veteran DE Michael Johnson from Cincinnati to be their top edge rusher, as well as DT Clinton McDonald from Seattle to compliment McCoy on the interior. Second-year man William Gholston has a chance on this team as well, impressing McCoy in OTAs. Adrian Clayborn also has the chance to get his career going again after struggling with injuries early in his career. After struggling on the edge so much in his first three years, the Bucs have reportedly been experimenting with Da'Quan Bowers on the interior line. I, however, remain skeptical on anything Bowers until he starts to show production.

Linebackers
Lavonte David on the outside is an absolute stud, and quite possibly the best LB in the game right now. He made plays all over the field, registering 144 tackles, 7 sacks, and 5 INTs in 2013. Expect Smith and Frazier to heavily rely on him this season. Middle LB Mason Foster made some plays in 2013, but had his struggles as well. Fortunately, reports from camp are that Foster has lost weight and is faster than last season, hopefully resulting in improved range in a spot where the Bucs could really use it. The second OLB spot isn't very certain right now, particularly since Dekoda Watson isn't there anymore. Expect to see veteran Jonathan Casillas on Day 1, but don't be surprised if somebody else emerges in that spot.

Secondary
The Bucs made a bold move in cutting Pro Bowl CB Darrelle Revis in the offseason, just one season after having traded a first round pick for him and giving him a massive contract, as he refused to restructure. Hurts that this went so badly for the Bucs, particularly since Revis did play well last year. However, the hopes are that the Bucs Cover 2 scheme will benefit the players they have. They also signed Pro Bowl CB Alterraun Verner from Tennessee to take Revis' place. Second-year CB Johnthan Banks looks to be the primary beneficiary of the Bucs new scheme as he had some struggles last year despite starting every game in 2013 and picking off 3 passes. Leonard Johnson has been the talk of some rumors about possibly getting cut, but for now he's still the nickel guy. High-priced safety Dashon Goldson struggled last year in his first season in TB, particularly with penalties. His opposite, Mark Barron, played better last season after a pretty bad rookie season, but still has some work to do, particularly in his coverage. This unit may be the difference in the success of the defense in 2014. Hopefully in a new scheme and a defensive line that may actually get after the QB consistently, they can flourish.

Special Teams

Michael Koenen returns as the team's punter after putting up an average season last year. Connor Barth should return as the kicker after missing last season with an injury sustained during a charity basketball game. Eric Page was the primary returner last year, but it's hard to imagine that that spot isn't wide open. Page, Chris Owusu, and undrafted free agent Solomon Patton have reportedly gotten the most reps in TC. Preseason will likely determine who gets the responsibility on Day 1.

Overall

I am optimistic about the Bucs' chances this year, and in the historically unstable NFC South, a division title may not be out of the question if enough things go the team''s way. The primary keys will be:
-Can Lovie Smith get some discipline on this team after the Bucs finished with the third most penalties in the NFL in 2013?
-Can Josh McCown replicate the success he had filling in for Jay Cutler for the Bears in 2013?
-Can Jeff Tedford get this entire offense humming again?
-Will the additions on the defensive side of the ball create more pressure on the QBs and make life easier on the secondary?

...as well as several others. With defending NFC South champion Carolina regressing in the offseason, the opportunity is there. But a lot of things have to go right for them to make a serious run.

Furyous

Can someone point me in the direction of the Browns and Cards breakdowns? I'm worried about both quarterback position groups.

Is there an ongoing friendly bet on how long it will take Johnny Eightball to Tebow himself out of the league? I do not condone any friendly wagers on how long it takes him to party away his career because that's foul.

Syrinx

Can someone point me in the direction of the Browns and Cards breakdowns? I'm worried about both quarterback position groups.

Is there an ongoing friendly bet on how long it will take Johnny Eightball to Tebow himself out of the league? I do not condone any friendly wagers on how long it takes him to party away his career because that's foul.

Browns.

Not sure if a Cards on has been done or not; if it has, it hasn't been put in the OP yet.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Thanks for the write ups, ActStriker and Syrinx. The Bucs could be pretty good. There's a lot of talent there. Youngry talent.

Check the op. Since we've been doing this, I don't think we've ever gotten an entry for the Cardinals. Squall, represent your boys!

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Josh Gordon will argue in his appeal hearing that his positive marijuana test was the result of second-hand smoke.
The news comes to light after it was revealed that Gordon's positive test was barely above the NFL's strict threshold. Gordon would have tested negative for marijuana in Major League Baseball, the Olympics and even the federal government. It shines a light on just how odious the NFL's marijuana policy is. Gordon's appeal will be heard on Friday.

Farooq

Banned
2 rings/3 sb 10-4 playoffs, 95-47 regular season

vs

1-3 playoffs 63-45

You can keep your 3.2 rating points :3

Not every Quarterback can post a 22.6 passer rating and win a super bowl. Unfortunately Romo has to play with defenses ranked at the bottom of the league year after year. If only he could be carried like Ben.

All I saw was the avatar and I wondered why Hito was doing a Bucs write-up.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Josh Gordon will argue in his appeal hearing that his positive marijuana test was the result of second-hand smoke.
The news comes to light after it was revealed that Gordon's positive test was barely above the NFL's strict threshold. Gordon would have tested negative for marijuana in Major League Baseball, the Olympics and even the federal government. It shines a light on just how odious the NFL's marijuana policy is. Gordon's appeal will be heard on Friday.

I was flipping radio stations on my way home and the way Armani Toomer was describing weed testing during mini camps you would have to be really, really fucking dumb to get busted.

jakncoke

Banned
Not every Quarterback can post a 22.6 passer rating and win a super bowl. Unfortunately Romo has to play with defenses ranked at the bottom of the league year after year. If only he could be carried like Ben.

Not everyone can fumble like Romo did.

Top Bottom