• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

So I finished Whispering Willows earlier. I liked it, but I'm glad that I bought it in a bundle, because it didn't feel like a $15 game. It's definitely one of those games that has a cool concept but flawed execution.

The gameplay itself is kind of dull for the most part, and it really isn't why I enjoyed the game. Most of the game is just the main character, Elena, walking around and finding things to interact with and/or collect, along with using an amulet to interact with spirits via astral projection. You can also possess things here and there, like in Geist or Ghost Trick, etc., but it's much more limited. There are also a few puzzles here and there, but they're pretty basic and straightforward for the most part, even for the achievements that take exploration to find. To be fair, I mostly found two of said achievements because I got lost at one point and had to explore most of the map, but other than that, they're mostly simple :p The reason I was lost was because I completely forgot about a building I passed by near the beginning of the game, and I had just found an item that would allow me to enter that building for the first time. A good portion of the game is like that, finding a new item, whether it be a key or a knife, and returning to old areas to get another item. AKA a good portion of the game is made up of multiple fetch quests. There's also a slightly annoying design choice where you can't run in buildings. Originally you could only run in two areas (I think, at least), but running in all of the outside ares was patched in more recently. I don't know how I would have managed to get all of the achievements if had not been patched, because the walk speed is really slow, especially for bigger areas. I understand that Elena doesn't run for a major portion of the game because doing so would make the game even shorter than it already is (and slowly walking through dilapidated areas does add to the atmospheric vibes), but it was still irritating at points nonetheless.

The story is pretty basic, and the writing is adequate, if a little dry. There's some Native American folklore involve, and the game handles it pretty decently, weaving it into the narrative in a way that doesn't seem forced and/or cheesy. Some of the more important characters really don't stay around for long, they just sort of leave after fifteen~thirty minutes or so. Their short stay during the game is somewhat made up for by the numerous notes you can find, which provides a little bit of backstory for them. The backstory is probably one of the better parts of the game, honestly. It definitely makes the characters feel more fleshed out than they were in the main story alone. Also, most of the other ghosts are just there for flavor text, so that's a little disappointing.

Visually, the game looks great. You can explore rundown, dilapidated mansion rooms, dank catacombs, and a menacing garden maze, among others. And all of them look exactly like you would expect them to, each area unique. The flavor text for the rooms generally tend to add to the atmosphere, making the game a little creepier, unlike the ghosts. The different character animations are smooth, the light direction is mostly solid, it's just all around great. The one negative thing I can say about the visual aspect are that the cutscenes leave a lot to be desired. They're basically just still images that change every few seconds with background noise, no animation at all, which is a shame, considering how well the rest of the game looks. The ambient noises and music are also spot on, and add just as much to the atmosphere as the visual do.

Probably the most disappointing thing in the whole game is the lack of intimidating enemies. Instead, you need to avoid spider...crab...things, bushes with arms, and a single dark spirit that chases you in the catacombs. And that's mostly it, though you can die by one other method in a basement, and that was actually pretty cool. There are no real penalties for dying either, since the checkpoints are very generous and forgiving. It's a very easy game with basically nothing other than a few puzzles, slow walking, and exploration to slow you down.

All of that being said, I still recommend getting it if it interests you, especially in tomorrow's/day after tomorrow's new Groupees be mine bundle.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Borderlands 1.75's pre-order sub was region-free, but not any more:

The subs I mentioned the other day are now retail-specific.

Edit: Oh, and CivBE is the same:

... aaaaaaaand off to the "maybe someday when they're really cheap" pile they go ... good

I think I need it.

giphy.gif

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/731983185/hotline-miami-jacket-figure

Tizoc

GAF look I love you all, but I can't accept Bad Rats...I dunno if I want to accept Bad Rats...
Ah fuck it I'ma accept Bad Rats, it wouldn't be the first game on my Steam library I'd never play.

Mokoi

Banned
Neverending Nightmares has a store page now. Still no release date.

Ahh yeah I've been waiting for this to release. I really like the artstyle the game has. Although I never did beat the demo, so chances of me actually beating this game are slim.

Chinese Yuri Visual Novel got it's release date changed from Septermber or earlier? to tomorrow.

Yuri you say. Yeah I'll be buying this for the artsyle. Just for the artstyle.

I just want to say something before I go to bed.
As per the new setup, I have been playing multiple games that have an AA solution called FXAA. Being a newcomer to AA solutions, I thought I would try it out.
http://gaspull.geeksaresexytech.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/nope.gif
FXAA is hot garbage and I loathe it with every fiber in my being. I would rather play my games with no AA than with FXAA. It's like vaseline smeared all over my screen.

I just wish every developer would support FXXXX already.

I'm hoping we get a release date for Hotline Miami 2 soon, I only played the first game recently but it's just so good.

Hotline Miami is a despicable game that promotes murder, and you should really check your moral standards if you enjoyed such a game. Truly disgusting, and I'll be starting a group to eradicate this game from existence.

I think not too long from now. I'm pretty excited for it for Betrayer and Consortium. Hopefully it's priced as well as the last Be Mine bundle they did (it was my first one)

I assume it will be a $1 tier with the bonuses attached to that and a $4-$5 tier that will probably have Betrayer and Consortium in it.

Some time within the next 24hours and Johnny posted that about 9 hours ago.

aku:jiki

I'm reading Jordan Mechner's Prince of Persia journals right now and felt like playing the sweet remake from a few years back. The faithful remake that was on XBLA/PSN, not this new time-bending nonsense. Is that not on Steam or PC at all?

AHA-Lambda

I wonder if the estimated delivery for the game pre-order tier is indicative of the actual release date. That'd suck, November is too far off.

Also, I could have sworn I saw somewhere that the price for Wrong Number was gonna be $19.99, but I could be imagining that... Anybody know anything about the price?

Woah $20? :/

All I know is $25 works out to about £14 for me and I bet I'd pay around that at least for the game and soundtrack anyway. So yeah its backed!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I wonder if the estimated delivery for the game pre-order tier is indicative of the actual release date. That'd suck, November is too far off.

Also, I could have sworn I saw somewhere that the price for Wrong Number was gonna be $19.99, but I could be imagining that... Anybody know anything about the price?

That would be crazy, considering that the $25 tier gets you two copies of Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, Soundtrack, digital goodies and exclusive wallpaper. The $5 tier gets you a copy of the first game and a 50% off coupon for Hotline Miami 2 as well, so I'm gonna say the game will debut at $10.

Wait, if I buy the 25$ tier and it split it that brings the price to 12,5 dollars? Or is that "two steam keys: one for the game, one for the soundtrack"

The 5 dollar tier is literally a wallpaper and Hotline Miami -50% coupon?

Maybe I was wrong, then.

Wait, if I buy the 25$ tier and it split it that brings the price to 12,5 dollars? Or is that "two steam keys: one for the game, one for the soundtrack"

The $5 tier gets you a copy of the first game and a 50% off coupon for Hotline Miami 2 as well, so I'm gonna say the game will debut at $10.

It says "get a giftable Steam Key for HOTLINE MIAMI 1 at 50% off" not giftable Steam key for Hotline Miami 1 and 50% off Hotline Miami 2

Dr Dogg

Wait a Super TIME Force Ultra competition while I was asleep? Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Also Pillars of Eternity is way more prettier in person than any footage I have seen before.

Oh and Uplay is having a summer sale or something in an email I just got. You know because we all love Uplay here.

It says "get a giftable Steam Key for HOTLINE MIAMI 1 at 50% off" not giftable Steam key for Hotline Miami 1 and 50% off Hotline Miami 2

I think it's 2 copies of the game for the $25 tier.

That would be crazy, considering that the $25 tier gets you two copies of Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, Soundtrack, digital goodies and exclusive wallpaper. The $5 tier gets you a copy of the first game and a 50% off coupon for Hotline Miami 2 as well, so I'm gonna say the game will debut at $10.

Yeah, that's why I thought I might have imagined it. $10 would be a steal.

Either way, I should probably back the KS since that seems that'll be the cheapest with the soundtrack. Anybody with KS experience, am I charged as soon as it's successful, or at the successful deadline?

Copons

Wait, is the key to CS:GO to play on Competitive? In the two games I played, I did way better. I actually topped the board in the second game, almost even got an ace. Even in the second game where we lost pretty badly, it felt significantly different from playing on Casual or even in DM. Do the competitive servers have higher tick rates or something?

As a fellow CSGO noob who won his first Competitive only yesterday, I noticed I play way better there than in Casual/DM/etc.
My theory is that in Competitive we (noobs) tend to avoid running around like rabid dogs to score some kills, but we try to do what we have to do in the most "professional" way.

Like, I dunno, I (still?) suck at 1v1 running and gunning, so for example, when I play counter-terrorist I try to find some good sniping spots to defend one of the bomb locations, and I stay there as much as I can, to the point that I've been called out as a "camper" (I answered "yeah, camper of what? of the place I'm supposed to defend?", so really fuck that :D ).

My point is, though, on casual I'd most likely have run around aimlessly, ending up in the bottom of the scoreboard as usual.

I hope everyone on the CSGO gaf server appreciated my music tonight.

Something I've been meaning to ask: is that server up and running (and used!) outside game nights?
I always check it before starting some random games because I'd prefer playing with other GAFfers than complete strangers, but I always find it empty.

It could be the different timezones, though, so in case you all randomly use it, *when* do you use it?

Arthea

Wait a Super TIME Force Ultra competition while I was asleep? Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Also Pillars of Eternity is way more prettier in person than any footage I have seen before.

Oh and Uplay is having a summer sale or something in an email I just got. You know because we all love Uplay here.

what is super time force ultra, anyway?
sounds nasty

wait, Pillars of Eternity is already released? where?

*look, questions, questions everywhere*

edited: unrelated question, just curious.
would you buy Peggle 2 day one if it was released on steam?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
what is super time force ultra, anyway?
sounds nasty

wait, Pillars of Eternity is already released? where?

*look, questions, questions everywhere*

edited: unrelated question, just curious.
would you buy Peggle 2 day one if it was released on steam?

Obsidian send out beta keys overnight. It's a separate app to the final release of the game and you need to cough up $60 for access, although you only have a few days remaining before Obsidian stops allowing "slacker" pledges and switches to pre-orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom