• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

what is super time force ultra, anyway?
sounds nasty

Capy's latest game that is super awesome and would be right up you alley as it while it may hark back to 2D side scrolling shooters like Contra it does require a bit more logical thought to tackle some of the bosses with some of the awesome game mechanics. Seeing as you love them puzzles ;)

Post in question I was 7 hours late on.

wait, Pillars of Eternity is already released? where?

*look, questions, questions everywhere*

Backer beta was released yesterday (or stupid o'clock over here). It was in a few Kickstarter tiers starting for $110 or you could buy it as an add on to your pledge for $25. I tried to resist but I knew I'd be seeing a lot of footage over the next months leading up to release so I thought to hell with it and joined the party. I'm not scared of the beetles!

edited: unrelated question, just curious.
would you buy Peggle 2 day one if it was released on steam?

I'd buy it if it came to PC on any service. I've got the first permanently installed on my iPad and it still never gets old. Been tempted to snap already but I'm happy to wait to see what options there would be for a PC release. It's going to be an Origin exclusive isn't it? Actually I've got Garden Warfare installed from the Game Time promo this weekend but haven't started it yet so might see what that's about sometime down the line.

Arthea

Obsidian send out beta keys overnight. It's a separate app to the final release of the game and you need to cough up $60 for access, although you only have a few days remaining before Obsidian stops allowing "slacker" pledges and switches to pre-orders.

I see, thanks for an answer.
Have you got it too?

Sendou

Obsidian send out beta keys overnight. It's a separate app to the final release of the game and you need to cough up $60 for access, although you only have a few days remaining before Obsidian stops allowing "slacker" pledges and switches to pre-orders.

Did you get A Hat in Time for alpha access already? Sounds to me like it would be a separate entry in the library but then again I'm no expert.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I see, thanks for an answer.
Have you got it too?

Of course. ;) I couldn't risk missing out on a +1.

Did you get A Hat in Time for alpha access already? Sounds to me like it would be a separate entry in the library but then again I'm no expert.

Nah. Obsidian said in no uncertain terms that the PoE beta key is separate to the final release key, however the AHiT page doesn't mention anything similar. I might ask, though, just in case.

Something I've been meaning to ask: is that server up and running (and used!) outside game nights?
I always check it before starting some random games because I'd prefer playing with other GAFfers than complete strangers, but I always find it empty.

It could be the different timezones, though, so in case you all randomly use it, *when* do you use it?

It's open 24/7. I think it's hard to take the initiative and get a game going so people just choose to random queue. For now I've unlocked the server so it isn't password protected. (I also added a few crazy maps to it) I'll lock it again when we choose to hold a game night.

Arthea

Capy's latest game that is super awesome and would be right up you alley as it while it may hark back to 2D side scrolling shooters like Contra it does require a bit more logical thought to tackle some of the bosses with some of the awesome game mechanics. Seeing as you love them puzzles ;)

Post in question I was 7 hours late on.

Backer beta was released yesterday (or stupid o'clock over here). It was in a few Kickstarter tiers starting for $110 or you could buy it as an add on to your pledge for $25. I tried to resist but I knew I'd be seeing a lot of footage over the next months leading up to release so I thought to hell with it and joined the party. I'm not scared of the beetles!

I'd buy it if it came to PC on any service. I've got the first permanently installed on my iPad and it still never gets old. Been tempted to snap already but I'm happy to wait to see what options there would be for a PC release. It's going to be an Origin exclusive isn't it? Actually I've got Garden Warfare installed from the Game Time promo this weekend but haven't started it yet so might see what that's about sometime down the line.

I'm interested now!

so, when we will get your impressions?

It most certainly will... oh well, I'll buy it on Origin, I'm still bitter that EA bought Popcap. I need to get Garden Warfare too.

Ozium

Mountain is really fascinating and well worth the 99 cents. Y'all are fools if you hate on it without experiencing The Mountain. There is SNOW! and rain.. and there are happenings...

stuff and things... mostly things...

most satisfying Steam purchase since the sale..

even JaseC doesn't have it.. that's how cool and hipster #TeamMountain is..

Copons

It's open 24/7. I think it's hard to take the initiative and get a game going so people just choose to random queue. For now I've unlocked the server so it isn't password protected. (I also added a few crazy maps to it) I'll lock it again when we choose to hold a game night.

Ah ok thanks!
So I guess I'll just have to be lucky enough to catch a 2spooky training session to use that server with other GAFfers. :p

kudoboi

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313340/

$0.99

Goddammit I refuse to play this just because there are no trading cards. The only game I have made an exception to this year was ubisoft games.
cannot resist that AAA quality

WHAT HAVE I BECOME

Arthea

Goddammit I refuse to play this just because there are no trading cards. The only game I have made an exception to this year was ubisoft games.

WHAT HAVE I BECOME

now that you mention it... this was my first thought too, no cards? I can wait.
it's disease, incurable one too.

Mokoi

Banned
I think not too long from now. I'm pretty excited for it for Betrayer and Consortium. Hopefully it's priced as well as the last Be Mine bundle they did (it was my first one)

Love the new avatar.

Wait a Super TIME Force Ultra competition while I was asleep? Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Also Pillars of Eternity is way more prettier in person than any footage I have seen before.

Oh and Uplay is having a summer sale or something in an email I just got. You know because we all love Uplay here.

It's ok, I got the competition in the bag. Also it's quite funny how the only games I have on Uplay are free games I've gotten. Same goes for Origin too. Honestly I really rather not even deal with steam, but it is what I got to put up with now that I'm locked in. I prefer to play my games without having to launch any client.

Heh, I wonder what type of crazy maps you added.

Ozium

WHAT HAVE I BECOME

It doesn't have to be this way. Join #TeamMountain.

Mons Montis.
Montagne.
Montaña.
Berg.
.הר
山

Also Pillars of Eternity is way more prettier in person than any footage I have seen before.

How does it look compared to Divinity OS? I've seen some videos of Eternity and it doesn't seem to look that good but since yous ay it looks better in reality...

Speaking of Divinity, I have a question for the folks who have finished it. After 50 hours, I've just entered the Dark Forest which I believe is the final zone. How much longer before I finish it? The reason I ask is because even though I'm enjoying it, I'm also starting to feel that I'm ready for it to end. There are small things that are adding up and starting to make the experience somewhat frustrating. As an example, I'm not enjoying how 'gamey' things have become... in the beginning in Cyseal, you were role playing and actually solving problems for the residents... now I'm dealing with puzzles that are set up just for the sake of being there (like which order to go through portals or how to deal with void demons or pretty much any puzzle in Hiberheim). Stuff like this is not particularly immersive or fun. And then there's the loot problem which mimics Diablo 3 when it first came out.

Also, since I know you guys love lists.... PC Gamer's '100 Greatest PC games'.

milena87

Speaking of Divinity, I have a question for the folks who have finished it. After 50 hours, I've just entered the Dark Forest which I believe is the final zone. How much longer before I finish it? The reason I ask is because even though I'm enjoying it, I'm also starting to feel that I'm ready for it to end. There are small things that are adding up and starting to make the experience somewhat frustrating. As an example, I'm not enjoying how 'gamey' things have become... in the beginning in Cyseal, you were role playing and actually solving problems for the residents... now I'm dealing with puzzles that are set up just for the sake of being there (like which order to go through portals or how to deal with void demons or pretty much any puzzle in Hiberheim). Stuff like this is not particularly immersive or fun. And then there's the loot problem which mimics Diablo 3 when it first came out.

I'd say you have around 10-15 hours left, but it really depends on playstyle and difficulty.
It took me around 20 hours to finish the game from the Dark Forest, but I constantly recheck everything, reload to try new approaches and craft a gazillon things.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh god the gif changed.

This is true hell you're making.

Do you know to hold accelerate and not boost around corners (but boost every other chance you get, it recharges pretty quickly) and let go of the acceleration when going around corners as not to bump up against it?

I'm probably the only person in the world who doesn't hate the driving segment of RE6, I've never had any difficulty with it really though.

Lain

Getting multiples of the same card isn't half bad when it seems to sell for a high amount, I guess.

I should be playing more Risen 3, but with 900+ cards still to find I'm spending more time idling in hopes to reach the end of this tunnel.

Do you know to hold accelerate and not boost around corners (but boost every other chance you get, it recharges pretty quickly) and let go of the acceleration when going around corners as not to bump up against it?

I'm probably the only person in the world who doesn't hate the driving segment of RE6, I've never had any difficulty with it really though.
holding accelerate, not boosting around corners, I haven't tried not accelerating around corners, but I haven't hit them so far. She always gets away after getting onto the freeway after the S turn. I fail right as or before I get a boost again every time and it's annoying. :(

Getting multiples of the same card isn't half bad when it seems to sell for a high amount, I guess.

I should be playing more Risen 3, but with 900+ cards still to find I'm spending more time idling in hopes to reach the end of this tunnel.
Oh god, that doorways card, won't be able to sleep today.

Okay WHAT THE FUCK. Guys, don't ever switch the bumpers and triggers in RE6. Having accelerate on RB was breaking something, I guess. I switched back to RT to shoot and suddenly I was right behind Ada the whole time...

Capcom pls.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
holding accelerate, not boosting around corners, I haven't tried not accelerating around corners, but I haven't hit them so far. She always gets away after getting onto the freeway after the S turn. I fail right as or before I get a boost again every time and it's annoying. :(

The only other piece of advice I can give is drive like a crack addict, as that's what I usually do. Whenever I play video games and I'm driving, I drive like a maniac, and I guess that works in that segment. It's gotten so bad with friends in multiplayer games that they try and avoid giving me cars whenever possible, but I manage to get some anyway. Need for speed.

So I have never had Ada outrun me after I figured to hold the run button to accelerate as opposed to just holding forward (which makes you move but doesn't make you move fast) and boost whenever I first get it immediately, even around corners (but others I've played it with have done good around corners). And I always make sure to ram enemy cars off the road and try and lean towards the 'inner' part of a turn rather than outer (as in, go towards the side of the street in which the road is turning as that's theoretically faster).

EDIT: Happy you figured it out! The only times I've failed that section is when I didn't know there was an accelerate button.

EDIT: Happy you figured it out! The only times I've failed that section is when I didn't know there was an accelerate button.
I'm assuming that rather than having the bumper act as a full depression on the trigger so you'd go full speed there, it was acting like the first speed/barely depressing the trigger. Seems like a silly thing to miss. I'm glad that those failures didn't count as deaths, I think that was my 10th try.

Is this some user voted list?

There's an album linked which shows the judges - http://imgur.com/a/yCk6B. Mostly PCGamer staff or other game journalists I think.

I'd say you have around 10-15 hours left, but it really depends on playstyle and difficulty.
It took me around 20 hours to finish the game from the Dark Forest, but I constantly recheck everything, reload to try new approaches and craft a gazillon things.

Thanks. I'm fairly thorough with exploring the map and I try to finish every quest I come across, which sometimes takes a while if I end up trying the wrong things.

Dr Dogg

I'm interested now!

so, when we will get your impressions?

It most certainly will... oh well, I'll buy it on Origin, I'm still bitter that EA bought Popcap. I need to get Garden Warfare too.

Well STFU is a day one, again, for me. I might cobble something together and if MRORANGE doens't have a head fit by asking him to include it in the Recommendations part of the OP (because this isn't the second time I've done it this month) I'll post a quick overview of the game, a brief synopsis of the plot and how the game mechanics make it something a little different than most will expect.

As to Pillars of Eternity impressions, well I've only played about 20 mins this morning so will be a while yet. According to the latest update the beta is all side content so not to spoil the main quest or story. It's meant to be 3-5 hours worth of content with I think 3 quests and a portion of the world off to the side to explore. There is an inn in the area I started in which was one of the backer inn's and a few other little tidbits to go and have a look at.

You have a stock party but you are given freedom to roll your character as you would in the full game. So when I've sunk some time into it and can give a more thorough view on it I'll post something here.

Well I find it odd that Peggle 2 is on consoles first. I guess this is the generation of exclusives and all. I would have thought Peggle, although it sold by the truck load, would have most of it's audience on mobile and PC's (browser players mainly). Be interesting to see how that works out for them.

It's ok, I got the competition in the bag. Also it's quite funny how the only games I have on Uplay are free games I've gotten. Same goes for Origin too. Honestly I really rather not even deal with steam, but it is what I got to put up with now that I'm locked in. I prefer to play my games without having to launch any client.

Doesn't matter I was going to buy it the moment a store page comes up anyway :p

Most of the stuff sold on Uplay that isn't legacy titles or Ubisoft published games gives you keys for the service they are on (so Steam keys for Steamworks games and Origin keys for EA stuff). Makes you wonder if they want to compete as a service or just want to be a storefront for others.

How does it look compared to Divinity OS? I've seen some videos of Eternity and it doesn't seem to look that good but since yous ay it looks better in reality...

It's a bit hard to directly compare the two while Divinity OS is rendered in full 3D and has some great environmental art it's really it's own thing. The character designs have a kind of sculpted appearance and the world itself feels like something you'd see in a tabletop game (haven't had my 3D monitor hooked up in ages but I'd imagine it would look great in 3D and have the same 'reach out and grab it' appeal like some RTS games like Dawn of War and C&C).

Pillars of Eternity though is exactly what you'd expect of the old Infinity Engine games like Baldur's Gate, Torment, Icewind Dale as well as other 2D isometric games from the past. Backgrounds are prerendered in 2D and have some elements that animated whereas characters, NPC's and adversaries are rendered in 3D. Though the massive resolution boost really is something that didn't come across in any videos or ever released screenshots before. Every single stream I've seen (which was only recently as I wanted to stay away from spoilers but hey in for a penny, in for a pound) the world looked flat and due to how compressed the video are they didn't let the artwork shine as it does seeing it direct on my screen. The detail to even cobbled pathways is immense but with all the added animations to things like rivers flowing, smoke bellowing out of chimneys, some elements like water wheels turning it feels like a matte painting that has come to life.

They both do wonderful things with they way the worlds are crafted but I've got plenty of nostalgia for old isometrics CRPGs that Pillars is faithful to how the older games looked but really added an extra dimension with the added fidelity and interactivity of the world.

Maybe this will help.

Hahaha. On a serious note if you haven't thought about picking these two up the UK Legislation for Driving Tests changes so often these applications are out of date quite frequently. There's a massive stock of the 6th editions going for a £1 in a supermarket by me that are next to useless so who knows if these will get pulled and replaced.

Sendou

So does that Kickstarter confirm we won't have Hotline Miami 2 for another 32 days? I'm saying this because one of the rewards is Hotline Miami 2 and it seems unlikely to me that they would have such reward if the intention was delivering it after the game has been released.

Ozium

Mountain keeps getting more amazing... apparently certain melodies unlock different modes, and if you click and hold on an object that hit your mountain (for instance, a phonograph) you will pick it up and can toss it around... it even crushes trees on your mountain.

fucking GOAT

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hahaha. On a serious note if you haven't thought about picking these two up the UK Legislation for Driving Tests changes so often these applications are out of date quite frequently. There's a massive stock of the 6th editions going for a £1 in a supermarket by me that are next to useless so who knows if these will get pulled and replaced.

I bought the bundle when it went up. ;)

So I bought this weird Mountain game. Which is weird, because I can walk for like half an hour and be on a mountain, or just walk outside and see mountains all over the damn place.

Ozium

So I bought this weird Mountain game. Which is weird, because I can walk for like half an hour and be on a mountain, or just walk outside and see mountains all over the damn place.

the hype is real

Hey if the Mountain won't come to JaseC. bring JaseC to the Mountain.

I've really got to stop butchering old idioms and proverbs.

I almost gifted it to him but Vuze told me he would probably reject it due to collector's pride.

Dr Dogg

I almost gifted it to him but Vuze told me he would probably reject it due to collector's pride.

Well there is that but for the most part unless it was a joke gift or something like a really personal gift I'd probably decline most as well. Not out of some arrogant sense of I'm too good to accept gifts but there are guys and gals here who are unemployed, some facing financial hardship, others going through a bad patch in their lives etc. That's someone much more deserving of a gift than me who will probably just clutter up my extensive backlog with it. I mean ask yourself the question would you rather add a +1 to someones account or possibly brighten up someones day, if only a little?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom