• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecl0n

That sounds really fun! I do love bad person simulators, lol.

So, what exactly is Crusader Kings II? It looks mad complicated like the Europa Universalis series, which I've also never played, but from the way you described it, that's not the case? I tend to like real-world strategy games like that. CKII looks incredibly complicated, which is really intimidating. Is it hard to learn? Is it worth it?

dozens of hours of learning curve. X3, if you ever played it, is a childs game in comparison.

Blundl spares

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Whispering Willows -- MB-1CAF36937FF8A5AD - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 10 entrants total.
The Mysterious Cities of Gold -- MB-AD2B34E3373580D3 - Taken by Yakkue. 8 entrants total.
One Way Heroics -- MB-CCB5778A121C7A10 - Taken by Capt.Haddock. 1 entrants total.

t1408475911z1.png

Mono

The nighttime bits are annoying at first, but that really only matters if you are on the surface. The game is really focused on exploration and hunting for raw materials and treasure, and if you are doing that you are spending 95% of your time underground where day or night doesn't matter at all.

Of course if you are trying to build elaborate structures, you are going to have to deal with constant zombie attacks every time night rolls around. I never really had much desire to build anything more than basic houses for the various NPCs, so that never bothered me much.

I forgot about the nightmare bits, those were not fun when you have a wooden sword. :X

I think I was spending way too much time on the surface and not nearly enough time looking for treasure! I didn't even realize there was treasure; I thought you just mined downwards raw materials, oops.

Jawmuncher

I've found that I love reading about Crusader Kings II more than almost any other game in existence, but when it comes to actually playing it, I just bounce off of it.

EVE is that game for me. The stories of it are always so interesting to read.
Actually putting in the time for something like that though....no thanks.

Chariot

In the (presumed) inevitability of a CDPR-developed ARPG I trust.
I would jizz into my pants. All of them.

That sounds really fun! I do love bad person simulators, lol.

So, what exactly is Crusader Kings II? It looks mad complicated like the Europa Universalis series, which I've also never played, but from the way you described it, that's not the case? I tend to like real-world strategy games like that. CKII looks incredibly complicated, which is really intimidating. Is it hard to learn? Is it worth it?
It's a simulation game, where you play a lord in the middle ages. Unlike other games, you don't control all of your land, but at some size you control the people who control their own little fiefs and armies and you need to keep them happy, so they support you. You have own troops, but you are limited in how much you, a single man or woman can hold. It's very complex, religion, individual character traits, demands, grudges, family bonds, culture, etc.: a lot of things influence what people think about you.
People are not immortal either, your leader will die eventually, from sickness, war, just old age or a random accident. And your kids are not that experienced and beloved as their father. or mother.

Watch this series of tutorials and try to play a bit vanilla in Ireland, so you get familiar with the game mechanics. It's difficult to get in, but once you know how the game works, it's great fun.

KingDirk

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KingDirk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Terraria -- MB-F8D96655FAF643A5 - Taken by Scipius. 4 entrants total.
t1408485931z1.png

Hey, is anybody else giving away Terraria?

Shit shouldn't have posted the giveaway with only a handful of posts left in the thread.

Please don't lock the thread for another 10 minutes....

Mono

Most confusing game I've played haha. still don't know what a lot of the things in the game do.

However, I play it like a role playing game. Don't care about taking over the world or anything. I enjoy the stories and getting used to that part isn't too bad.

But yea be ready to spend a few hours getting to grips lol. Check out some YouTube tutorials. I don't regret the time I spent learning.

The game of thrones mod is amazing but I stopped playing in case of spoilers.

Game is special. Nothing like killing the kids of the guy who betrayed you (although I felt too bad to do this).

Hmm, that does sound like my kind of game!

I just would hate to spend all those hours learning a game and then end up not liking it! Maybe watching some YouTube tutorials will help me figure out if I'd like it or not?

That GoT mod looks awesome! But I haven't read the books and have only seen season 1, so I can't play it either yet!

derExperte

Why is Deadlight now apparently hated on GAF? I thought I read some positive impressions when it was released.

The voiceovers are obnoxious, some parts are unfair bullshit and the ending is rather sudden. Not a bad game, it just can't deliver what the visuals promised.

Chariot

I just would hate to spend all those hours learning a game and then end up not liking it! Maybe watching some YouTube tutorials will help me figure out if I'd like it or not?

That GoT mod looks awesome! But I haven't read the books and have only seen season 1, so I can't play it either yet!
You'll find a good tutorial in my original post answering you. Regarding the GoT mod: you can choose between different times at the beginning of the game, all tagged with spoilers. So there is always a time you can enjoy without spoilers.

Deitus

I forgot about the nightmare bits, those were not fun when you have a wooden sword. :X

I think I was spending way too much time on the surface and not nearly enough time looking for treasure! I didn't even realize there was treasure; I thought you just mined downwards raw materials, oops.

There are treasure chests you can find randomly in caves. Most just have random stuff in them: potions, iron ingots, glow sticks, etc. But occasionally you can find equip-able accessories that are helpful, like one that gives you a double jump. There are also crystal hearts you can find that you can use to upgrade your max HP (though you need a hammer to collect them).

Enco

Check out some GoT gameplay. That might be more interesting and it's unlikely you'll see big spoilers. At least in the first few lets play episodes.

Tutorials probably won't be fun.

It's hard to say if someone will like it. It's definitely an squires taste. I'm usually not a fan of the genre. I play for the role playing like I said and after a generation or two of playing with my kids after I die I tend to restart the game and play as someone else.

Back up that bug, Modrog
ModBot said:

Terraria -- MB-7653B552290C2FD3 - Taken by pupo

I made some good progress on Fallout 2 today, finally had the time to continue my quest. That Sergeant guy is hilarious, actually I love all of the Enclave. Also played CS:GO, some guy called me a retard. Felt bad mang

Hugstable

Banned

Yeah we are probably going to see alot more of stuff like that, and not just from Ubisoft, if EA has success with this. Doesn't usually matter to me since I usually know what to expect when I go into an EA sports game lol. As long as NBA2K always stays under the 30$ at launch price point on PC, I'll be fine with that every year as my go to sports game. Wish EA would still try making competent PC version of Madden NFL, but I gave up on that ages ago.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Back up that bug, Modrog

I made some good progress on Fallout 2 today, finally had the time to continue my quest. That Sergeant guy is hilarious, actually I love all of the Enclave. Also played CS:GO, some guy called me a retard. Felt bad mang

ModBot has been moved to the new thread.

MattyG

Banned
I'm tempted to pick up Payday 2 for 5 keys. Is the coop community still active? Any of you guys still play it? I played it on PS3 and didn't like it a) because I played solo and b) because matchmaking was broken for the first month or so. I've heard that the PC version is much better though.

Evrain

Thanks Benedict for Deadlight!
But light can't die... it must be passed on, don't you think?

ModBot said:
Instructions for Evrain:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Evrain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deadlight -- MB-1765524F7FB4BC54 - Taken by Sharkiller. 9 entrants total.

t1408477352z1.png
Jokes aside, I think the game is quite worth both its standard price and the time to play through its storyline. A rather nerve wrecking ending, too

xeris

The biggest difference between the EU series and CK is that CK is a family simulator. You don't just do all that fun horrible stuff over one lifetime, you're writing the rise and fall of your family through the centuries.

I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Kill Fun Yeah -- MB-6FF2049B0A69433A - Taken by Haunted. 4 entrants total.
X-COM: Apocalypse -- MB-7E83E343E71810D2 - Taken by KainXVIII. 1 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition -- MB-018E428A025CA396
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-A34B19BD6E34DC6E - Taken by Flips360. 5 entrants total.
Project Root -- MB-A9660F7B67539E18 - Taken by Diedac. 3 entrants total.
Terraria -- MB-F9ED5E4326FBC53A - Taken by FauX. 7 entrants total.
Space Farmers -- MB-655016DF0477EF54 - Taken by Benedict. 2 entrants total.
X-COM: Enforcer -- MB-E49BC2A1B541BE5A - Taken by user237. 5 entrants total.
X-COM: Terror from the Deep -- MB-70F29F4E82BD83F4 - Taken by ScreamingTrees. 3 entrants total.
X-COM: UFO Defense -- MB-0C503493CD434C61 - Taken by Evrain. 2 entrants total.
X-COM: Interceptor -- MB-6340D3D3458B33D4 - Taken by Woody Invincible. 1 entrants total.

t1408487912z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom