• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Force Unleashed is coming to PC

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
*cancels preorder on 360 version*

Too much to play later this year, PC one next year will be good.

VaLiancY

vareon said:
What was their reason?

Either way I'm sure I'm getting this :)

All of the technology, DMM, Euphoria and the other tool that leaves my mind wouldn't operate on low end computers, cheapening the experience overall.

Cameron Suey said:
"The PC being the gaming platform that it is, someone with a $4,000 high-end system would definitely be able to play the Euphoria, the DMM and really technical elements of the game. But someone with a low-end PC would have a watered down experience, they would have to turn all the settings down and it wouldn't be the same game," said Suey.

Source

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
vareon said:
What was their reason?

Either way I'm sure I'm getting this :)
VideoGamer.com: We're a multiplatform website and some of our PC-owning readers have complained about this.

CS: And that's something that every time I read that, we do hear that complaint, it hurts. Our goal was we wanted to get this game to as many people as possible. I definitely wish it had been possible. However the PC being the gaming platform that it is, someone with a $4,000 high-end system would definitely be able to play the Euphoria, the DMM and really technical elements of the game. But someone with a low-end PC would have a watered down experience, they would have to turn all the settings down and it wouldn't be the same game. On the other hand if we made that game for as many people as possible, because we are trying to make mass market games, something that everybody can enjoy, well then it's not taking advantage of what those $4,000 systems can do. So one way or the other depending on how you build that lead PC SKU, it's not going to be for the same amount of people, it's going to be not as good or only for a select few people.

That said we're definitely not out of the PC market. It's just with our choice for this game, with the known quantity for the consoles, and every console is the same with the same processing power, it made sense for us to develop for those consoles.

VideoGamer.com: So the decision was purely about the PC being a varied platform?

CS: Exactly. And no matter where you pick that bar somebody's out of luck.
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/star_wars_the_force_unleashed/preview-921.html

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
In before the publishers complaining about lost sales due to piracy.

Seriously though, from what I played of the demo the PC crowd wouldn't miss much if this remained on the consoles. This is not the Star Wars game you're looking for.
Jedi Knight 3/Jedi Academy 2 plz.

Haunted

Would've made me happy a couple weeks ago.

But then I played the demo. Pretty forgettable game, imo. Still, more PC support is never a bad thing, so I say bring it on.

MrHicks

Banned
pc not being a unified spec really seems to make devs avoid the pc from what i gather from the interview

you don't really know what spec to develop for and it becomes a clusterfuck

Blackface

Banned
MrHicks said:
pc not being a unified spec really seems to make devs avoid the pc from what i gather from the interview

you don't really know what spec to develop for and it becomes a clusterfuck

It isn't rocket science (example, UT3). It's just an excuse so they don't blame the normal videogame pirates.

Still don't know why a company, outside of Valve, hasn't sunk in money developing a proper system so games don't get bootlegged. Shit, grab up PayPal and Wow's idea and use one of the key chain, identifiers, with a login screen. Even if it's a single player game. Just make the PC game cost $5 to cover the cost of the number identifiers. Problem solved.

Menzo

Neo Member
Guys, this is wrong. I'm doing the PR for The Force Unleashed and I am telling you, there are no plans for a PC version. I've contacted RPS to let them know that Vik was probably referring to a PC version of Digital Molecular Matter.

The Force Unleashed is not coming to PC.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Menzo said:
Guys, this is wrong. I'm doing the PR for The Force Unleashed and I am telling you, there are no plans for a PC version. I've contacted RPS to let them know that Vik was probably referring to a PC version of Digital Molecular Matter.

Not until it's out though right? :D

:(

Menzo

Neo Member
It would stupid of me to use words like "never" and "impossible," but this isn't one of those times when a company denies something until it confirms it.

We have no plans to release a PC version of The Force Unleashed.

Again, this isn't a situation where we actually have secret plans that we'll reveal in a couple months. There are no plans. If you are waiting to buy The Force Unleashed because you're sure that we're just being coy or lying about this, you're going to be very sad.

pivot

Banned
I don't understand the logic of the publisher when they say "We aren't releasing a PC game because one person has a better PC than another one, and they won't get the same experience."

Seriously? That's like saying I can't write a book in English because a lot of my readers are ESL students.

Menzo said:

Uhh it's inevitable that the PC version is coming out. Lucas most likely wanted it to be exclusive for the consoles for a while and then will release the beefier PC version latter.

Menzo

Neo Member
VictimOfGrief said:
Uhh it's inevitable that the PC version is coming out. Lucas most likely wanted it to be exclusive for the consoles for a while and then will release the beefier PC version latter.

It's not inevitable. I'm telling you that there are no plans to do so.

Edit - direct from LucasArts - “I can tell you definitively that there is no PC version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed planned. I would assume Vik was talking about a PC version of Digital Molecular Matter.”

Heavy sigh. Apologies for the false alarm. I can promise you we’ve got a recording of the exact quote below (and can provide it to terrifying lawyers if necessary), but guess Vik Sohal just expressed it very badly. Or there’s a crazy conspiracy, which seems unlikely at this point.
Euhhhh

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
PR person talked, original article was edited. Title/OP edit would be nice.

Menzo

Neo Member
VictimOfGrief said:
And I'm telling you they just haven't announced it yet.

And I'm telling you that I'm running the PR for TFU at LucasArts and this isn't true.

I'm the one who sent the note to RPS and to Blues News.

TheExodu5

Banned
Trax416 said:
Still don't know why a company, outside of Valve, hasn't sunk in money developing a proper system so games don't get bootlegged. Shit, grab up PayPal and Wow's idea and use one of the key chain, identifiers, with a login screen. Even if it's a single player game. Just make the PC game cost $5 to cover the cost of the number identifiers. Problem solved.

You can't stop piracy, even with a system like this. Pirates will easily come up with a way to bypass the security check, and all you'll have left is a system that encumbers paying users.

The only reason it works in WoW is that it's tied to actual account validation, rather than the game engine itself. While you can't fool the WoW servers, you can easily fool your game client for a game that doesn't require account validation.

Also, Valve's system does nothing to stop piracy. You can still download any of their games on torrents and play them in singleplayer. Even so, Steam is pretty unrestricting. You can download it on as many PCs as you want, and set Steam to Offline mode and play anytime without DRM. There are a few quirks, but it's generally a very generous system.

The best measure for anti-piracy is no anti-piracy at all. Stardock has proved it worked just fine with Sins of a Solar Empire (and it has perhaps even enhanced their sales, as 500k sales for a niche PC title is pretty amazing).

TheExodu5 said:
You can't stop piracy, even with a system like this. Pirates will easily come up with a way to bypass the security check, and all you'll have left is a system that encumbers paying users.

The only reason it works in WoW is that it's tied to actual account validation, rather than the game engine itself. While you can't fool the WoW servers, you can easily fool your game client for a game that doesn't require account validation.

Also, Valve's system does nothing to stop piracy. You can still download any of their games on torrents and play them in singleplayer. Even so, Steam is pretty unrestricting. You can download it on as many PCs as you want, and set Steam to Offline mode and play anytime without DRM. There are a few quirks, but it's generally a very generous system.

The best measure for anti-piracy is no anti-piracy at all. Stardock has proved it worked just fine with Sins of a Solar Empire (and it has perhaps even enhanced their sales, as 500k sales for a niche PC title is pretty amazing).
Afaik Bioshock hasn't been cracked (yet?). You can download ISOs off the net and may actually be able to install it and whatnot but without a valid serial - no dice playing the game. Would be interesting to see if the very draconian copy protection and DRM (which was lifted recently) helped the sales or actually made people not buy the game.

Spiegel

Phife Dawg said:
Afaik Bioshock hasn't been cracked (yet?). You can download ISOs off the net and may actually be able to install it and whatnot but without a valid serial - no dice playing the game. Would be interesting to see if the very draconian copy protection and DRM (which was lifted recently) helped the sales or actually made people not buy the game.

Bioshock was cracked long time ago

Zzoram

Considering that $500 PCs can probably play it on High, and they made a Wii version, their excuse about $4000 PCs is pretty full of sh1t.

Zeliard

Phife Dawg said:

You can't stop crackers and leechers. A "valid serial"? Is that a joke? Virtually every single game requires a cd key to be installed and to run. That's hardly an obstacle.

A cd key to play online, however, is.

Zzoram

I honestly feel that the simplest DRM is all you really need. For single player games, just require the disc in the tray, nothing else. For multiplayer, require a unique serial key to play online, only allowing one instance of the key at a time. That is all you need to discourage casual pirates, and the hardcore ones will get it no matter what anyways.

Oblivion sold almost a million on PC with no DRM except requiring the disc to be in the tray. The Witcher did roughly the same with also just a disc check, and the serial key is just for downloading patches from their website, and getting a cool icon beside your name in the forums to show you really bought it.

Spiegel said:
Bioshock was cracked long time ago
There is no working crack afaik. As I said, you can download ISOs of the game as much as you like - you just won't be able to play it.

Zeliard said:
You can't stop crackers and leechers. A "valid serial"? Is that a joke? Virtually every single game requires a cd key to be installed and to run. That's hardly an obstacle.

A cd key to play online, however, is.
Nope, it's not the usual type in key and be done with it process. It's an online activation process (up until very recently you could only activate/install the game 5 times).

Zzoram

Phife Dawg said:
There is no working crack afaik. As I said, you can download ISOs of the game as much as you like - you just won't be able to play it.

Nope, it's not the usual type in key and be done with it process. It's an online activation process (up until very recently you could only activate/install the game 5 times).

I don't really mind the Bioshock/Mass Effect/Spore DRM but only IF there is unlimited installs. It's total BS that you can reformat often or upgrade your machine like most hardcore PC gamers and lose the right to play a game you paid for.

Phife Dawg said:

We're talking about Bioshock right? I don't think you've looked hard enough >.>

Zzoram said:
I don't really mind the Bioshock/Mass Effect/Spore DRM but only IF there is unlimited installs. It's total BS that you can reformat often or upgrade your machine like most hardcore PC gamers and lose the right to play a game you paid for.
Yeah me neither, I still bought it and I'm glad they got rid of the limited installs.

Sax Russel said:
We're talking about Bioshock right? I don't think you've looked hard enough >.>
I didn't really look, this was just what I gathered from messageboards (that's why I put an afaik there).

Spiegel

Phife Dawg said:

Yes, you can play a downloaded Bioshock ISO

But let's not derail the thread

Top Bottom