• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #14 - "Lost and Found"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I think the hardest thing of writing a novel is actually having an idea that will sustain your interest for that length of time. Something with enough depth to it to fill up a few hundred pages. A lot of ideas might seem like they'd work at first, but you get 20 pages in and realize you've pretty much run out of steam, and become bored of the idea you thought was so thrilling at the start.

I'm currently working on a series of seven novels, which might be a little over ambitious for someone who hasn't had anything professionally published yet, but it's what interests me most right now, and I have rough drafts of half the series already. I'm currently refining the first book trying to make it interesting line by line, which is almost painful work, but I love the result. Even if it won't be finished for a couple months more... at least partly because I'm so damned easily distracted. I need more discipline somehow.

I know it sounds corny, but this thread really makes me happy :) It's such a great sight, seeing others share their love of writing. It really is heartwarming.

Like some of you, I have my ambitions in wanting to create a novel. I've been "working" on one for a little over two years--most of that time has been spent just coming up with characters and backgrounds for them, of which there's not a lot yet.

I have on my hands an extremely ambitious project :lol This is the first time I've ever dedicated myself and my time to a project--especially one that has taken this long. I could have more information about it, but I'm at fault for not writing anything down for in a month's time at times, maybe more.

I know where I want to go with it, and dammit, I shall! I want to be an author more than anything; ever since I was young I've had a fascination with stories.

Short stories, I find, help me quite a lot in developing my writing and trying out different types of styles, so I write a good amount of them.

ronito

Aaron said:
I think the hardest thing of writing a novel is actually having an idea that will sustain your interest for that length of time. Something with enough depth to it to fill up a few hundred pages. A lot of ideas might seem like they'd work at first, but you get 20 pages in and realize you've pretty much run out of steam, and become bored of the idea you thought was so thrilling at the start.

I'm currently working on a series of seven novels, which might be a little over ambitious for someone who hasn't had anything professionally published yet, but it's what interests me most right now, and I have rough drafts of half the series already. I'm currently refining the first book trying to make it interesting line by line, which is almost painful work, but I love the result. Even if it won't be finished for a couple months more... at least partly because I'm so damned easily distracted. I need more discipline somehow.

Amen verily. I finished the first draft of my novel months and months ago but going through and editiing it and more importantly in my case making the changes that I see needed is painful. I really need to buckle down and just do it.

Iceman

Ms. Placed and Mr. Found
1399 words

It's tough to shake first impressions. Ames Lowe was an average looking guy with an average job. He was the manager of an average-sized apartment building in a mid-sized city in the midwest. And until Rebecca tapped on his freshly windexed office door he had been perfectly content with that life; her existence shook the foundations of his dull reality.

Rebecca Placed had been living at his apartment for only three weeks, but had come by his office a dozen times in that span. She was constantly losing things and Ames was thankful for it. Rebecca had come to almost completely rely on him. And yet, she could never remember his name.

In the past Ames had been more than willing to let opportunities pass him by; he had a crippling fear of failure. But like light bulbs and urinal cakes, some times things had to be changed. The rules and routines he lived by slowly slipped free of their moorings each day; their original purpose lost in the fog of infatuation. Today, thought Ames Lowe, he would reach for the heavens; finally leave a lasting impression. And when Rebecca popped her head into his office that morning, he fell right on his ass.

Ames scrambled to his feet. "Rebecca! Uh, Ms. Placed. How can I help you?"

She brushed a stray strand of golden brown hair from her eyes. Behind her, autumn leaves spun through the sky. She flashed the briefest grin and they were on a mountaintop, all alone.

"...glove."

Oh, God. He had missed everything she had said. "I'm sorry. What?"

She raised up both hands: the right was clad in soft brown leather and the left was bare.

"You lost your glove. Right." Ames spun around frantically and finally dove under his desk, banging his head. He emerged with a bin of knickknacks and a hand on his forehead.

"Are you alright?" she asked?

He smiled in response and dug into the bin. "It's not every day a beautiful woman walks into my office."

"Excuse me?"

Ames looked up and found her rummaging through her purse, distracted. Philip Marlowe he was not. There was a knock on the door and another, less welcome face appeared. Ames did not recognize him but it was immediately obvious that the man was extremely handsome, debonair and wealthy. Rebecca, blushing, clearly noticed as well.

"Sorry to intrude. Robert Found. Perhaps you can help me. I was here last week handing out food to the homeless and I must have lost my glove." He lifted his hands: the right was clothed and the left was bare.

"Me too," said Rebecca, mirroring his pose.

"How unfortunate for you. And how very fortunate for me," replied Robert. Their eyes were locked.

"Tenants first. I hope you're not late for anything terribly important," suggested Ames, searching desperately for a way to break up this rendesvouz.

"Ladies first, of course," he bowed slightly. "But don't worry about me. The hospital will page me if anything urgent comes up."

Ames' stomach turned.

"You're a doctor?" asked Rebecca.

"No, no."

Ames sighed in relief.

"I'm a veterinarian."

Ames slipped into a deep abyss. Two gloves danced in the murky water before him. He reached out and grabbed them, trying to choke the life out of them. Through the dimness he could hear them chatting.

"I have a kitten too!" said Rebecca. It was doubly injurious because no pets were allowed in the building.

"Found them!" cried Ames.

He handed over two brown gloves. Robert tried to put his on but found it to be too small. He looked over at Rebecca whose glove was flopping over at the fingertips. They shared a laugh. Cute for some, searingly painful for Ames. Robert and Rebecca exchanged gloves.

"We make quite a pair," joked Robert. Ames rolled his eyes. Next they exchanged numbers.

"If your cat ever has a problem, feel free to call," added Robert. "What's your cat's name?"

"Toothpaste," said Rebecca.

"No way! That's the name of my cat!" said Robert. There was a pause.

Ames spoke up, "and if you ever have a problem with your place, I could give you my..."

"No room," she replied without even looking over.

A pager went off. Ames looked down and unsnapped it from his belt: it was Rebecca's room number. Within minutes he had scaled the entire stairwell. He was in decent shape but the ten-floor ascent reduced him to near asthmatic. He knocked on her door, doubled-over and wheezing. When he heard her voice he shot to attention and cleared his throat.

"It's Ames Lo... It's Mr. Lowe, the manager."

"Oh, come in."

He swung open the door and Rebecca stood at the far end of the living room in nothing but a bath towel. The light from the bay window silhouetted her incredible figure; it was impossible to ignore. Ames nearly passed out.

"I didn't know you'd get here so fast. It's the garbage disposal. I'll go change."

"Don't get dressed on my account," begged Ames.

He walked to the kitchen and flipped the disposal switch on and off.

Rebecca called out from her room, "Mr. Lowe, I feel like I've seen you before."

"We met. Yesterday," answered Ames.

On the countertop he noticed an address book. It was open. He glanced in the direction of Rebecca's bedroom. "Remember? You lost your glove."

"I remember... meeting Robert," she replied. "He was also missing a glove. Were you there?"

He flipped through the address book and found it: Rober Found. It was encircled with doodled hearts and the name Rebecca Found was written over and over again.

"Have you spoken with him since?" asked Ames.

"No. I was hoping he'd call me first."

Ames quickly unsnapped the 3-ring binder, covering it up with a cough. He grabbed the page, crumpled it and stuffed it down the disposal with a fit of fake coughs.

"Is everything okay in here?" said Rebecca as she walked into the kitchen. She was tying up a short dress with a plunging neckline.

"Fine," offered Ames in a high pitch wheeze.

"How's our little problem?" she asked with a smile.

Ames struggled to focus. "Almost gone.

"The blade, the heart of the disposal, is driven by magnetic forces, physical attraction. Sometimes the blade gets stuck exactly in the middle of two equally strong magnets. You turn on the power but the blade is attracted, equally, to both, and it doesn't move."

Ames brandished an allen wrench.

"That's where Mr. Allen comes in. With a little twist, he brings the blade closer to one of the magnets, and further away from the other."

"With that little thing?" she asked, dubious.

Ames ducked under the sink and in a moment he was up again. "You'd be amazed at what I can do with small tools."

"Mr. Lowe...," said Rebecca, blushing.

"Call me Ames." He flipped the switch and the kitchen roared to life.

Ames Lowe was kicking back in his office chair, arms behind his back, feeling good about himself. Someone knocked on the door and popped his head in. The sight sent Ames falling backwards. It was Robert Found.

"So sorry. I was here a few days ago. Perhaps you remember me?" ventured Robert.

"I don't think so," pretended Ames.

"I lost a glove," offered Robert.

"Let me look real quick," said Ames as he dove beneath his desk and searched for something large and blunt.

"No. You found the glove, thanks. There was a woman here. I forgot her name and I must have misplaced her number. She's unforgettable, probably the most beautiful woman you've ever seen."

A wicked idea struck Ames, "Oh, her. She moved out. No forwarding address." He tried to express lament.

Robert was crushed. "Could you at least tell me her name?"

As Ames debated what to say there was a knock on his door and another head poked inside.

"Rebecca!" cried Ames.

"I just wanted to thank you again for helping me with the..." She stopped mid-sentence once she spotted Robert.

"Thank God! I thought I'd never see you again. I lost your number," stammered Robert.

"Me too!" cried Rebecca.

"It's fate!" declared Robert.

They embraced.

"I'm never letting go of you again," Robert confessed.

Behind them, through the glass, a man selling balloons sneezed and an explosion of colors escaped into the infinite sky.

"Balls," Ames declared.

Cyan

Banned
Aaron said:
Yeah, I've done this a few times. Including my last go at Nanowrimo (I doubt I'd have finished it if not for the competition with Penguin). It's funny how quickly that first flush of infatuation can disappear. This has even happened on a few of these short story challenges, where I was over my idea by the time I sat down to write it.

Wow, that's awesome. Is it a fantasy series?

Aaron

Mike Works said:
Aaron, out of curiosity, do you write for a living? Or does your vocation have any aspect of (creative) writing in it?
Nope, and I wouldn't want it to. I'd rather save what creativity I have for my own purposes. I wish I had been more active in trying to get my stories out there earlier, since I learned a lot in the process. Still learning. The craft of writing is a hell of a lot more complicated than I could have ever guessed before I took it seriously.

dragonlife29 said:
I know it sounds corny, but this thread really makes me happy :) It's such a great sight, seeing others share their love of writing. It really is heartwarming.

Like some of you, I have my ambitions in wanting to create a novel. I've been "working" on one for a little over two years--most of that time has been spent just coming up with characters and backgrounds for them, of which there's not a lot yet.
I'd suggest not spending too much time in planning. You might end up creating something very rigid and find the story will go in other directions you hadn't planned when you started writing. I think the best thing is to have a strong idea of how the story starts, and a vague one of the ultimate ending. That way you have a destination to work towards.

ronito said:
Amen verily. I finished the first draft of my novel months and months ago but going through and editiing it and more importantly in my case making the changes that I see needed is painful. I really need to buckle down and just do it.
I've learned to let go and not mind when something it cut. I still save what I cut and sometimes pop it back in again. It's just the process is so agonizingly slow that it wears me down, especially when there's a few hundred pages to go. I want every paragraph to be perfect, though that's not quite possible.

Cyan said:
Wow, that's awesome. Is it a fantasy series?
Yep. It's set essentially in the early industrial age with races and countries of my own creation. The central plotline is a young man who makes the wrong choice for the right reasons, and matures as he deals with the ever expanding consquences of that decision.

Fantasy for me is the most fun because you not only create the characters and events, but the history, the environment, even the rules of how the world operates. It's like a black hole in a way because there's really no end to the amount of detail you can dream up and pack into it. Right now I'm thinking up emblems for a kingdom that was destroyed almost five hundred years before the start of the story. :D

ronito

Aaron said:
I've learned to let go and not mind when something it cut. I still save what I cut and sometimes pop it back in again. It's just the process is so agonizingly slow that it wears me down, especially when there's a few hundred pages to go. I want every paragraph to be perfect, though that's not quite possible.
My case is a bit different. I was adamant about making my novel a single book to tell the whole story. But in so doing the whole thing seemed rushed and the characters didn't have time to grow. So now I'm thinking it should be two.

The few people that have read it point to events in the story saying, "I want more of this it was over before it started." So I need to flesh out a bunch of stuff while cutting out the excess. So it's very different than the editing I do in these challenges. I'm adding as well as taking.

I figure my second draft will be the one I do a lot more cutting and no more adding.

Cyan

Banned
Aaron said:
Fantasy for me is the most fun because you not only create the characters and events, but the history, the environment, even the rules of how the world operates. It's like a black hole in a way because there's really no end to the amount of detail you can dream up and pack into it. Right now I'm thinking up emblems for a kingdom that was destroyed almost five hundred years before the start of the story. :D
Haha, totally. It can easily become an almost OCD thing if you're not careful. You want enough detail to make it feel real, but not so much that you never write the story!
dragonlife29 said:
I know exactly what you mean. :) It's been kind of inspiring for me, actually. I had done very little writing for a long time, and these threads have got me into the habit of doing it regularly. It's great!
Short stories, I find, help me quite a lot in developing my writing and trying out different types of styles, so I write a good amount of them.
Yeah, I've definitely done plenty of experimenting with these. Some successful, some not so much. But it's been fun.

Iceman

Heck, I have time. I'll write another story for this contest. I need ideas though.

This was the first time that I went with my first idea and didn't even bother to brainstorm any alternate ones.

nitewulf

word count: 1400

I won’t forget

What little of the sky could be seen from the alley was the color of a grey paper bag. The rain poured at a constant drip, not torrential, but a steady drone. Ernesto De La Cruz stood motionless, a Lucky Strike hung loose from the corner of his mouth. The smoke drifted and withered away in the moist breeze. De La Cruz shivered and pulled his jacket tighter. The summer was definitely over.

The wait was interminable. One broken clue to another, conversations with young hip bartenders and muscular bouncers from the LES to the West Village, miles of walking back and forth through the urban jungle, bribing this guy or that girl, cajoling here, pushing and shoving there; and all he had to show for finding the missing girl was waiting on a tripped out weirdo at the end of a dead-beat alley on a depressing Friday evening.

I heard rumors, man. Of this one dude who has connections. With some rich foreign dudes. Plenty of dumb young girls roaming around drunk in the city…its easy to snatch a few here and there. Rich people from certain countries pay big bucks for fresh, smooth skinned young Americans. I know a guy, he’s just a small fry, man. But he knows a guy, who knows another guy and you know how it goes.

Yeah? De La Cruz wasn’t convinced. Snatching young women and exporting them to the Nouveau riche sounded too much like the plot of a bad paperback thriller.

Take me to this dude you know, who knows the other dudes. He half mocked, dead curious regardless.

Nah, better let me handle this De La Cruz man, you just make sure to get Inspector Tatlonghari off my back for a few weeks, with that Filipino connection of yours.

Good old Romulus Tatlonghari, NYPD detective extraordinaire was always getting in someone’s way. De La Cruz was almost proud of that guy.

Yeah, yeah, I’ll try to keep him off your back for a few days, you just lead me to this dude, Carlo.

This ain’t a joke De La Cruz, I could be getting my ass shot for this you know. Modern sex-slave trade is a lucrative business, all it’d take to make us float on the East River is a wink here and a snap of a finger there. I wouldn’t even bother if the only person in the whole goddam city to get Tatlonghari off my back wasn’t you. So you just make sure you stay invisible, yeah? And I’ll see what I can find out for you.

De La Cruz didn’t give a flying fuck about this drugged-out hippie, but he was at the end of the trail. All trails to the girl led to Carlo’s joint downtown. He wasn’t gonna take De La Cruz anywhere near a smuggling chain anymore than he was gonna make a clean break and live an honest life, but a little shakedown never hurt anyone.

It was easy enough to follow Carlo around for a few days. On the third day he went into the alley, inside a particular third storied building. De La Cruz leaned back and looked at his watch. Almost two hours passed by already. His stomach grumbled at the drifting flavor of Thai noodle soup.

A girl came out of the nearby Thai restaurant with her bike. She was the most adorable thing under the pale yellow streetlights. Few strands of yellow hair fell across her forehead. She walked closer. Her eyes were the color of aged single malt.

“Hey mystery man, you’ve been hanging around the corner for a good few hours already. What’s the deal?”

“Isn’t it kinda cold to ride a bike?”

“Hahaha. Ok, if that’s how you wanna play it. You just look so lost. Like a cat out in the rain or something. Mystery man!”

“Heh, I’m just waiting for someone, and getting hungrier by the minute.”

“Well, whenever you’re ready, just go down to the restaurant and tell the old boss Brandie sent you. The basil shrimp noodle soup is to die for tonight. I’d also definitely order the fish cakes. Oh so yummy.”

“Stop it already, I’m drooling here. You wanna join me for a bowl of soup?” All of a sudden De La Cruz felt too tired of the whole business and just wanted to forget all of it, he could definitely lose himself in her eyes.

“Um, not too smooth there mystery man. Though, you do look harmless enough.”

“I’m perfectly harmless, guess not too smooth at that.”

“That’s ok. Smooth is overrated anyway. I’ll see you around mys…”

“I’m Ernesto De La Cruz. You can call me Ernesto.”

“See you around Ernesto.”

“You just might…”

“Try the fish cakes…” She whispered as she turned around.

She walked away slowly with her bike. Ernesto watched her walking away.

The alley grew darker by the minute. The rain kept pouring. Streams formed on both sides of the street and ran along the sidewalk, reflections of multi-colored neon lights shimmered in the water. The alley, dark and sinister by day, came alive at night. It was a black dragon with flickering golden scales.

Finally Carlo came out of the building and walked towards the street corner. De La Cruz stepped out under the yellow streetlight.

“You son of a bitch, I told you I’ll handle this!”

He telegraphed the right hook from a mile away, De La Cruz stepped inside the punch and cracked his elbow against the side of Carlo’s jaw in a single smooth motion. He flowed like the rain water, stepping away, slapping away Carlo’s left hook, shoving him to the ground with a hard punch to the sternum and a quick leg trip.

A crowd of youngsters gathered, hollering at the skills that were displayed. Another side attraction to the drinking and dancing. Only in New York, a stylish feminine boy yelled out as he held onto his boyfriend. Down the alley the door to the apartment building opened again and a tall, lanky man came out. He took one look at Carlo laying on the street, a quick look at De La Cruz and ran in the opposite direction. De La Cruz shoved everyone aside and followed.

They ran like mad dogs through the crowd. At the intersection the man ran across the red light, weaving through cars, slow to start as the light changed. De La Cruz got stuck however. Frustrated, he waited till a gap opened up as the stream of cars rushed past, and ran across. Up ahead the man cut across to the other side of the road, running towards Avenue A. De La Cruz noticed Brandie walk slowly towards the corner. The man looked back at De La Cruz and ran off towards her direction. De La Cruz gritted his teeth and ran as fast as he could. At the light the man shoved Brandie to the ground and ran across. She stood up and bent over to pick up her bike as a van sped across fast, trying to make the red light and crashed onto her. It happened in slow motion, as if the air was heavy and De La Cruz was trying to swim across. The man looked back once, and he was gone into the darkness the next moment.

Bits of metal and plastic were scattered across the street for half a block. De La Cruz ran towards the crumpled body as fast as he could. A thick trickle of blood wormed down Brandie’s parted lips, down her chin.

“W..hy?” She wasn’t going to make it.

De La Cruz sat down next to her and held her hand tightly.

“I am so sorry Brandie. I'm so very, very sorry.”

“My…stery man…” Her amber eyes tried to look for something, past De La Cruz, and then they became still.

Slowly, very slowly De La Cruz closed her eyelids and he sat there. Quite still, among the crowd and the wailing sirens.

A high pitched horn knocked De La Cruz out of his thoughts. He looked up at the white ghost-bike memorial dedicated to Brandie’s memory at the corner of Avenue A and 1st. He slowly put down the bouquet of gardenias he brought with him next to the bike and walked away. Three years ago he lost something here. He kept coming back to look for it.

Memles

So, I need some help. I've got a box, and I don't know what to do with it. It's brown, square (or at least I think it's a square) and I need some ideas on what it should be used for: it used to hold nails. I know it's an odd request, but if you have any really inspired suggestions please let me know. You can contact me at jack2004@gmail.com!

World building is one of the most enjoyable parts of writing for it. I love trying to figure out the little naunces of the worlds and how people live their lives. Of course, my OCD makes it difficult to tell myself I have enough figured out to write. Hopefully, if I can get back into the swing of things, I can start working on the world that I'm currently the most interested in.

edit: I'm sure this has been covered before, and if it has I appologise, but how many Gaffers have had formal training in writing? Do you feel it helped you at all? I always wonder if my background in literature and creative writing from college is more of a hinderance than a help. I know I would never get any positive encouragement from my professors unless I wrote exactly like they wanted me to. I always wonder if my first professor's insistance on dark and negative outcomes are muddling me.

Cyan

Banned
Hey, return of nitewulf! All right. :)

Memles said:
So, I need some help. I've got a box, and I don't know what to do with it. It's brown, square (or at least I think it's a square) and I need some ideas on what it should be used for: it used to hold nails. I know it's an odd request, but if you have any really inspired suggestions please let me know. You can contact me at jack2004@gmail.com!
I... what? Is this an abstract short piece?

Memles

Iceman said:
yeah, more info, memles.

It's something. There is a whole story written that it fits into. But until people answer the question, I can't finish the story. (I would have explained it further, but it was like 4:30 when I posted that, I needed to crash).

Memles said:
It's something. There is a whole story written that it fits into. But until people answer the question, I can't finish the story. (I would have explained it further, but it was like 4:30 when I posted that, I needed to crash).

Oh, jack in the box. :lol

Memles

The Box (Words: 1330 or, if you prefer, 1400 with the earlier meta-remark)

It was just a box.

It was a medium sized box, decent if unremarkable. It was built to hold nails. I don’t really know what kind of cardboard it was, but it felt like special cardboard designed for such an important, if unexciting, task.

“The fuck’s so important about a nail box?” my girlfriend…well, my ex-girlfriend at the time, asked.

I didn’t really have an answer for her, to be honest: I had just always kept the box lying around. I don’t think I ever owned a thousand nails, so something tells me that I probably received the box from someone else. It was probably a Christmas gift of some sort, but my interest in the box didn’t stretch to the point where I was going to take a jaunt into my memory to cross-reference its size with gifts received.

The first thing the box held was more boxes.

“You have to maximize your storage, this place is unbalanced,” was the exact advice that my mother Claire (oh how I wish she was my ex-mother) gave me when I moved into my first apartment. My idea of maximizing storage was putting boxes inside of other boxes; her idea was getting rid of my “frivolous corporate possessions.”

When I moved across the country, there was something about the box that made me consider very carefully what I would place inside of it. After packing the rest of my boxes, I found that what I left until last was not what I expected: family photos, or what few I had around the apartment.

“I know it’s fucking corny,” my sister Kate had told me when she gave me the photo of her and Michael with their dog Vincent sitting in between them, “but it’ll make Mom happy, plus now my kid brother can have a picture of perfection to aspire to.” She hit me in the shoulder after she said it, smiling. I don’t remember if I smiled back then, but I do remember that I carefully placed the frame into the box after wrapping it in a bedsheet.

I took special care of the photo of my Aunt Rose. It was only her face, beaming out from under one of those fancy hats women used to wear to church when both religion and fancy hats were all the rage, but that Rose kept wearing anyways.

“I wear my hat because it’s comfortable, it’s practical, and because it makes me look mighty fine,” was Rose’s answer when I asked her about her hat when I was only seven years old. Ten years later, on my eighteenth birthday, she sent me the photograph – it was my first gift from her in years, and it would be her last. When she passed away, a copy of the photo sat by her cremated remains, and the hat (her favourite) sat beside it.

When I finished placing all of the photos into the box, packing them with any soft items I could find, I placed it into the back of the U-Haul truck that my friend Sawyer had offered to drive across country for me.

“Hey Jack, trust me, there’s nothing to worry about,” he said after I raised some skepticism about the idea.“I’m a really good driver, honestly. Seriously, dude, I’m totally your guy.”

Sawyer was, in fact, my guy; my guy who backed the U-Haul into a ditch outside a convenience store ten miles down the road, spilling a selection of boxes out of the back. This box was amongst them, and when the box arrived at my new apartment I opened it tentatively.

I’m sure it would seem like this would be the point where some of the photos are missing, or the glass has shattered my precious memories, but it is quite the opposite: everything was completely intact. Sure, I had packed them carefully, but the box certainly had held up its end of the bargain. I took out the photos, and then placed the box on top of my dresser.

“What’s that box doing on top of your dresser?” my neighbour Juliet asked me when I was giving her the grand tour of what I’d done with the place.

“I had a box like that once,” she continued. “It was brown, like that one, but more rounded…do you know what I mean by rounded? Anyways, it used to hold my hair products, but then it wasn’t big enough, so then it held my face products instead, since they’re smaller.”

I of course, smiled and nodded, but knew in my heart of hearts that she didn’t have a box quite like this one. Juliet just saw a box, but I saw potential: she hadn’t asked, but the box was empty. Other guests would often ask about the box, and most would usually ask what was inside; it wasn’t until my co-worker John stopped by for dinner, though, that someone asked the question I was asking myself.

“What do you want the box to be?” he said, or something close to it – chances are I’ve adapted his language to make him sound as profound as possible. It felt silly, but there was something about the box that made me want its purpose to be something bigger than me, bigger than John, bigger than everything.

So I turned to the internet, hoping that people I’ve never met before could take on my cause and offer me some guidance.

“Oh, jack in the box,” said one poster, followed by one of those little smiley things that sat laughing at me. I spent a good hour pondering why he'd put one of those infernal contraptions into the box until I realized it was all an elaborate pun.

I received a few other suggestions, from friends and family or from random internet folks, but they all came with these caveats: an opening salvo of laughter, a skeptical gaze, those little electronic smiley faces or, worse yet, a real human being attempting to emulate them.

But the suggestion that stuck with me most, surprisingly, was my mother. I hadn’t intended on telling her about this whole situation, but it slipped out and she offered a piece of advice I hadn’t expected to take so seriously.

“Recycle it, Jack,” she said, “so that it can become something new, that it can enter into our eco-system in new and different ways.”

That night I brought the box out to the coffee table and just stared at it. About five minutes later, I realized how silly this must look, but I went to bed feeling like I had made some sort of important life decision. As I was taking out the trash the next morning, I grabbed the box from the table and carried it down the stairs into the main lobby where the recyclables were kept.

“Hey, kid, yer throwin’ that box away?” my landlord Ben said as he was fixing a broken light on the wall.

“No, I think I’m going to recycle it,” I said, “because it’s the right thing to do. I’ve put a lot of thought into it, and I feel like this box deserves to be put to good use and made into something new for future generations.” I proudly placed the box on top of the pile, and stood with a proud grin on my face.

He stared at me, and then at the box, and then at me again.

“Some jerkoff took my lost an’ found box,” he said as he walked over, plucked the box from the pile, and then walked over to the main office, shutting the door behind him.

I watched as he re-emerged a moment later, “Lost and Found” scrawled on the box with a black marker. He placed the box by the door, and hastily tossed a pair of discarded underpants into the box before walking back over to his light.

With that pair of underpants, the box lost its appeal and found its purpose.

Cyan

Banned
Man, I'm not sure I'll be able to fit my story in the word limit. I'm going to have to cut some stuff. :(

Don't think I'm going to be able to do the sub-mission on this one. I'm not comming up with too many ideas that seem particularly chatty.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cyan said:
Man, I'm not sure I'll be able to fit my story in the word limit. I'm going to have to cut some stuff. :(

i'm having the exact opposite problem. my thoughts on the topic are decidedly terse. but it's the first thing i've written in ages, so at least it's something.

Cyan

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i'm having the exact opposite problem. my thoughts on the topic are decidedly terse. but it's the first thing i've written in ages, so at least it's something.
And hey, the word limit is an upper limit. There's no need to write that much if you don't need to.

Looks like I'll have to cut about 60-70 words. Not as bad as I thought it'd be, but still annoying.

crowphoenix said:
Don't think I'm going to be able to do the sub-mission on this one. I'm not comming up with too many ideas that seem particularly chatty.
All you need is one idea. :)

Scribble

I've got my idea, written bits and pieces, etc. but I have to stop this habit of posting my story at the last second (That reminds me -- where's DumbNameD?). Gonna try and get this done tonight, although I probably sound (read) like a broken record at this point.

Cyan

Banned
Wow, finally read everyone else's, and there are some great stories already! This is a pretty impressive collection so far.

crowphoenix said:
edit: I'm sure this has been covered before, and if it has I appologise, but how many Gaffers have had formal training in writing? Do you feel it helped you at all? I always wonder if my background in literature and creative writing from college is more of a hinderance than a help. I know I would never get any positive encouragement from my professors unless I wrote exactly like they wanted me to. I always wonder if my first professor's insistance on dark and negative outcomes are muddling me.
I can't speak for everyone else of course, but I don't really have any formal training. I took a creative writing course my freshman year in high school, but it was complete garbage. The teacher had us write without any real guidance or feedback, and my writing didn't improve at all over the course of the semester. If I'd had any kind of foundation to build on at that point, that kind of class might have helped, but I didn't.

I feel like a decent writing class might've benefited me. A solid basis in the fundamentals of the craft would be nice (and yes, I think you can separate style from craft, which is what your professors ideally would have done). But a lot of reading over the years has helped give me a feel for things.

P.S. I just realized I misread your last post. I read that you didn't think you could do "a submission" on this one, when of course you said "the sub-mission," meaning the secondary goal. :lol Yeah, don't worry about that. That's why it's optional.

Jiggy

Seagull, Vulture, Phoenix

Her sandals lighting over pavement and grass and pavement again, she held her arm over her eyes, looking through the curtain of her reddish-brown bangs as she ran and kept focus toward them--the seagulls, circling before the setting sun and calling for her from their distance.

At length her sprint took her to Seaside Park and the source of their attention: a body lay on the ground, unmoving, crushed chips and cookies littered about him. She approached without hesitation, as girls scarcely out of high school may, and leaned to look at his face. Slightly older, perhaps out of college, clean-shaven, not very tanned; not likely that he was homeless. As expected of Seaside Park, nobody else was around--and so her face filled into a smile.

She sat next to him, loosened the forest green scarf she wore, slung it away from her neck, tied it over his eyes. And, with a gleam in her own, she set her hands on his shoulders and shook him with her fullest strength. "Guy--hey guy! Guy!"

He began to stir, shaking his head, and she stopped calling him and watched his reactions. When he realized what had been done to him, he reached for her makeshift blindfold, but she seized his wrists and pushed them to the ground before he could pull it off. "Hi, hi! Mr. Guy-in-a-Park, hey there," she said, her voice high and cheerful. "Please calm down--I don't sound scary, do I? I really hope not!"

"And you are?"

"Just someone who thought it would be interesting if you met a person through her voice first even though she's right in front of you. Hey, how do I sound? We can play a game: tell me what you think I look like from my voice, and then you can find out if you're right."

He ignored her, pulling himself into a sitting position and reaching for his eyes. She decided against fighting and let him go, and he untied the scarf and tossed it back to her.

"No fun at all," she said, and frowned shortly, but that gave way to a smile again within a moment's time and she continued: "Name, please."

"Just stick with calling me Guy," he said. "You don't need anything else."

"Story, please. How'd you get here?"

"I have no reason to tell you."

"Well, I think I'm beginning to understand why you're out here in a town you've never been to, starving to death in a park. Poor Guy, a lost wanderer in an unknown land. Sounds almost romantic--old romance, I mean, the adventure kind. The real kind!"

"See? You don't need my story. You put one together yourself."

"Fine, don't admit I'm right. I know it's true because nobody who lives here ever comes to this old park--and because I checked your ID before you woke up. You should tell the truth if you want your wallet back."

Guy reached for his pocket.

"Just kidding," she said, smiling. Guy began to stand, wearing an annoyed look, but she pulled at his arm. "Hey, stay a while and we'll talk. I'll buy you some food too."

He looked at her directly, but couldn't hold focus on her eyes or match her stare for any long time--she had a predatory intensity belying her sing-song voice, and he turned away. "Creepiest girl I've ever met," he said.

"And you're the most nitpicky starving guy ever. And here I thought guys liked younger girls. You saying I'm not cute or pretty? I'll cry, ya know!"

"H-hey," he said, looking at her, "that's not--"

"So easy!" She set her hand on his head and ruffled his hair. He frowned, but didn't shake her off--her smile shone and he didn't want to bring himself to interrupt her cheer. "So, so easy. Like, holy flip, Guy, how'd you make it to whatever age you are if you're still so easy to fool? Like I'd really be hurt by someone I've never met. Like I'd even care if someone thought I wasn't cute!"

"Yeah, well--alright, forget it. How about you tell me: what's your name?"

"That's a secret."

"And if nobody comes to this park, why are you here?"

"That's a secret too."

"And why would you wake up a guy you don't know? Not that I don't appreciate it, but it's dangerous."

"Also secret."

"You must not value yourself much..."

"Not true!" She set her chin on her palm, held her eyes locked on his until he looked away again, and said: "I just don't belong in the human world."

"Well, sure, most people feel--"

"I mean I truly don't belong in the human world. I'm an elf," she said.

He shook his head. "Yeah, whatever. Thousands of girls in this town and I get discovered by the fantasy novel fan. Can we eat yet?"

"Believe what you want, what you feel," she said, dismissing him with her hand, "but I specialize in the truth."

"Then let's see your ears," he said, and reached for her hair--but she stood just then, avoiding his hand with a scowl on her face.

"I think not! Human guys love our ears, but the relationships between us shouldn't be allowed," she said, brushing grass from the back of her skirt. "Besides, I'm only eighteen, you know--very young for my species."

Guy shrugged and looked back at the grass, but not before his eyes caught on her feet. "Do all elf girls paint their toes blue?" he mumbled.

"Well, I do," she said, crossing her arms.

"And wear anklets with little silver letters saying 'Love'?"

"Yes."

He sighed and pulled himself up to stand beside her. "Forget about the food--I have my limits on who I'll take stuff from. I should have known," he said, walking away, "I should have known what to expect--in a world like this, no sane girl would approach some unconscious guy she doesn't know."

"An elf girl would."

He continued walking.

"Because she can always escape you slow bums if she needs to."

He continued walking.

"And, actually, the humans' novels are wrong. Elves and humans can't have children--you all just wish we could because you have fantasies about brides who stay young longer than you'll be alive."

He continued walking.

"Another type who would approach anybody is a dying girl."

Pause.

"She doesn't have anything to lose if he hurts her, after all."

Pause.

"Plants or animals, humans or elves," she said, speaking in a strong voice as if she had rehearsed her words until they were all she knew, "we only clear a path for those who come after us. Another word for death is 'passing,' but what are we passing? Everything we have and everything we are. For humans and elves like you and me, that means talking to anyone who'll listen."

Guy kept his head bowed and said "I'm sorry," but walked on, and she watched him until he disappeared.

She untied her sandals and pushed them aside and lay down and stayed there at Seaside Park--stayed there for a long while, past the sunset, past the early evening, lying with the cool grass against her arms and legs until the stars glistened as her spotlight and the crickets chirped as her audience. But she only spoke in a whisper: "Passing--so easy."

Jiggy

For reference, that was a one-shot run done on a relative whim and typed directly into the forum window; according to my "you last visited" thing, I started it at 12:25 PM in my time zone, and it was 2:33 at the time of posting. Whether that makes it better or worse than my usual output, I don't know--and thankfully neither will any of you, since you don't know what my usual output entails. :p

Anyway, I just wanted to point that out because it's genuinely worth mentioning that if you have a basic idea, you can pound out a story in fairly little time. Maybe not quite that little, usually, but it can be done.

Cyan

Banned
Nicely done, man! I thought you were just the statistics guy; I didn't know you did creative writing. Of course towards the end, your smash thread statistics began to resemble creative writing... :p

And yeah, it's definitely possible to get a decent story out pretty fast. See DumbNameD, for example. Or Scribble usually, although not for this round, right Scribble?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
132 words.

Compromise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weakening, shrill cries come from the next room, gently muffled by stuffed animals and baby blankets. They demand your mother-hands that gently push me out, my hands--just hands--pushing back with feeble desperation.

So we agree to do it this way: two requests, one each, before two feet meet concrete and screen doors are perpetually locking behind them.

Yours to me is simple: confession.

Mine to you: sympathy for a heart when you see it exploded on a page. Later in ballistics they'll take these letters I lose in your mailbox and say they can identify the source of the blast, and that the substances on display in the splatter are easily discernible.

Blood. Blood. Love. Hate. Jealousy. Blood. Love.

But how they look the same to the untrained eye.

Cyan said:
All you need is one idea. :)

I'll get that one idea. :lol Gya. It's been so long, I think my imagination is getting rusty.

Good to see you in the thread, Jigs. Now you can school me in Smash and writing. :D

Cyan said:
I feel like a decent writing class might've benefited me. A solid basis in the fundamentals of the craft would be nice (and yes, I think you can separate style from craft, which is what your professors ideally would have done). But a lot of reading over the years has helped give me a feel for things.

They do help. I know I improved from taking them, but it's such a weird experiance. You are at the whim of your intstructor. Like my first teacher- she was a brilliant, a fantastic writer, and a great lady, but everything had to be dark. Everything had to end badly. It was very strange having to deal with that.

So, I wrote her pieces. The first two I wrote exactly like she wanted me to as dark and as negative as I could. I had one piece left, and it was near Chirstmas. So, I wrote her a Chirstmas story about some jerk janitor watching a newborn die. In typical christmas story fashion, I had the child survive. I got a B- on the paper with the recomendation to discover what the man would have learned from the child's death.

That insistence on negativity has stuck with me and I find myself having trouble writing positive stories now. Ah, well, live and learn.

Lost and Found - He's Dead

-------------

Then it happened to me.

Who took my sanity away?

Was it her or was it myself?

Phone, that damned phone stole my sanity. The timing was wrong.

-------------

!?!

Cyan

Banned
Hmm, after rereading, my story could have used a little bit more editing. I think I can already see what most people will critique about it. This is why I usually wait a day or two before posting.

Oh well, I still like it. :)

crowphoenix said:
They do help. I know I improved from taking them, but it's such a weird experiance. You are at the whim of your intstructor. Like my first teacher- she was a brilliant, a fantastic writer, and a great lady, but everything had to be dark. Everything had to end badly. It was very strange having to deal with that.

So, I wrote her pieces. The first two I wrote exactly like she wanted me to as dark and as negative as I could. I had one piece left, and it was near Chirstmas. So, I wrote her a Chirstmas story about some jerk janitor watching a newborn die. In typical christmas story fashion, I had the child survive. I got a B- on the paper with the recomendation to discover what the man would have learned from the child's death.

That insistence on negativity has stuck with me and I find myself having trouble writing positive stories now. Ah, well, live and learn.
I hate that aspect of writing where people think for something to be "real" or "meaningful," it has to be dark. There's certainly a place for that stuff, but there's a place for lightness too.

Of course, I have kind of the opposite problem from you... I have trouble ending my stories negatively! I think only one or two of the 14 pieces I've written for these have really been negative.

Cyan said:
Hmm, after rereading, my story could have used a little bit more editing. I think I can already see what most people will critique about it. This is why I usually wait a day or two before posting.

Oh well, I still like it. :)

You can still edit, can't you? You've got time.

Cyan

Banned
crowphoenix said:
You can still edit, can't you? You've got time.
Oh, sure. But I prefer to let it be once I've posted (the sharp-eyed will note I did edit this one after posting, but that was just to add italics that didn't carry over when I c/ped it). That way, everyone who reads it is reading the same story. And my nitpicking perfectionism meets a hard wall of no-more-changes.

The main reason I posted it this early was so that I'd stop editing and get some work done. :p

unfortunately i don't see myself being able to participate in these for a while, my life is just way too busy with school (+ homework), work, and my side project. any time i'd have to write for these would be eating in to relaxation time, which i desperately need these days. i'll still read the threads though.

ronito

In one of the back closets of the school was the lost and found. Strewn throughout the shelves was the flotsam and jetsam of the school pupils. Items stayed on shelves at times for years. One day the door opened, the musky smell of dust and age billowed out, a janitor walked into the closet and without bothering to turn on the light set a doll on top of a globe then left. The door slammed shut behind him.

"Where am I? Oooh and adventure. I love adventures!" The doll said with a slight giggle.

"If you could please get off me, that would be one less thing for me to worry about. Not that you'd care." The globe underneath the doll murmured.

The doll bent over looking beneath her.

"Not that your type ever does." The globe continued, "It's always 'look at me I'm so pretty why pay attention to the globe I'm standing on?' Not like the globe has any feelings. I wish I didn't."

"Oh! I'm sorry." The doll said and hopped off not really paying attention to the what the globe was saying.

"Don't lie, I know you're not." The globe chortled.

"Hi! My name is." The doll said extending a hand.

"Barbie. Yes I know." The globe sighed

"Wow! How did you know? Did we meet before?" Barbie said then added in a hushed tone, "Or are you psychic?"

"I know because I've seen many" the globe began

"Can you tell what am I'm thinking about?" Barbie interupted raising an eyebrow, "This could be fun."

"It wont be."

"okay." Barbie said as she put her hands to her temples and squinted. "I'm thinking of a color."

The globe sighed again. "Pink." he said resignedly.

"Wow.....you're incredible!" Barbie said.

The globe sighed yet again and hopped away.

"Wait. Where am I? Where is this?" Barbie called out after the globe.

"This is the lost and found." The globe said not stopping.

"Interesting...what's this place do?" Barbie followed.

"Things that are lost are put here and forgotten. But not things like you. The dolls are always picked up. People care about their dolls. Not globes though. I mean what did a globe ever do for anyone? It's not like it can help you with geography or"

Suddenly a sock hopped by and accidentally bumped into Barbie.

"HEYWASHWATCHADOING!" The sock shouted and staggered away.

"Everyone should be happy all the time. No one likes a frowny face, turn it upside down Mr. Sock!" Barbie yelled after him.

"Sod off you bimbo!" the sock replied.

"Hmm, well there's no grass here." Barbie said indignant, "What's his problem?" she asked the globe.

"He's drunk." The globe said still hopping away "He's a lost sock. He has to live with the knowledge that his partner is either lost too or more likely thrown away. You wouldn't like it if you were him."

"Wow." Barbie said, "You read his mind too? You are amazing!"

The globe continued hopping away.

"Where did he get the alcohol? Isn't this a place for kid's toys?" Barbie asked as they passed a small wooden Buddah and a half deflated ball.

"He's pretending to be drunk." The globe said without turning around, "Wish I could pretend to be drunk then I could forget all the horrible things that have happened to me. The pins stuck in me, the children pointing at Canada thinking it was Yugoslavia, being spun around until I'm so dizzy I can't tell the difference from Uzbekistan and Madagascar. Oh the things I have suffered."

"Attachment bring suffering." The Buddah interjected speaking to the globe, "Seek to end all your attachment to this world and your suffering will cease."

"What do you know about suffering?" The globe chortled, "You're fat and smiling. The worst thing anything ever happened to you was some kid rubbing your head instead of your belly for good luck. You don't know anything about suffering. Attachment? Please. I grew up alone. No family, no friends. I am an entire world in of itself. I have no attachment but I have suffering you cannot imagine. Do not talk to me about suffering."

"Don't worry globey I'll stay with you until you find your family!" Barbie said.

"I don't want to find them, I don't want them to find me." The globe stopped and turned to face the doll. "You don't have any idea what it's like being a globe. I have infinite possibility, yet I'd sit on a shelf perfectly still watching everything go by until idiot children decide it'd be fun to spin me like a top. Oh once in a while they'll use me to try teach those moronic miscreants where countries are, but then they'll just stick pins in me. You dolls with your blonde hair and hapless expressions. You'll never know a bad day because of your looks. But some of us were blessed with intelligence instead of vanity. And, by the way, not that you care but my name is not"

Suddenly the closet was filled with light as the door opened, only the shadows of a woman and a young girl could be seen against the backlight hallway.

"Barbie! There she is!" An excited girls' voice came a small girl's shadow. A small hand picked up the doll from the shelf.

"See? I told you we'd find her." An older woman's voice responded. "And look here. It's our old globe. I thought we had lost this forever." The woman picked up the globe.

"Yeah that's great! Can we take him home? I think Barbie would like to take a trip walking on the globe." the young girl piped as she put Barbie's feet on the globe and made little walking motions.

"Of course." The woman replied.

As they left the closet each held in the hands of their refound owners Barbie turned to the globe.

"Isn't this great?!" she pratically sang, "We get to be together forever! Oh imagine all the fun we'll have. I'll have to introduce you to Ken! He'll be so excited to meet a mind reader like you! Ok ok, let's do it again. I'm thinking of a number. Yup a number. Tell me what number I'm thinking about! Oh this is so fun!"

The globe sighed.

Cyan

Banned
Mike Works said:
unfortunately i don't see myself being able to participate in these for a while, my life is just way too busy with school (+ homework), work, and my side project. any time i'd have to write for these would be eating in to relaxation time, which i desperately need these days. i'll still read the threads though.
Relaxation time. Huh, I vaguely remember that. :p

Well, if you can't do it, you can't do it. It doesn't have to take that much time though, necessarily...

Well, I'm out.

I was pretty much done with my entry until I had to run an errand...when I came home, my brother somehow managed to delete my file =/

I'm pissed.

Jiggy

crowphoenix said:
Good to see you in the thread, Jigs. Now you can school me in Smash and writing. :D
Nah, don't worry, I'm a pretty junk writer. :D

Edit: I will say this, though.

[Writing classes] do help. I know I improved from taking them, but it's such a weird experiance. You are at the whim of your intstructor.
Not necessarily. Both of my professors certainly had their preferences, but put them aside for the sake of maximizing the quality of what each student was individually aiming for.

My first professor held a fundamental belief that characters' true natures are revealed when external pressure is put on them, while I believed (and continue to believe) the opposite: I think that characters' natures are best revealed by how they act of--for lack of a better term--their most freely free will. And I write accordingly. More than once I've received comments from people claiming that my narration was in fact "too good" for my characters because they never faced "serious" issues like death or alcoholism.

My only response (for now; I'll rant on writers' crutches some other time) is that I don't care what the reader views as serious. "Forever Overhead" by David Foster Wallace, very probably the greatest short story I've read, is about nothing more than a just-turned-13 boy climbing the diving board at the local pool and freezing when he's at the top. That's the great conflict of the story, and the only conflict: whether he'll jump. Some readers may want to see divorced parents, financial debt, abusive siblings, physical disabilities, or other problems which they (the readers) see as "major," but they're not there--and it's still an intense and compelling work precisely because it conveys how grave the issue is to this character.

In any case, I didn't agree with his stance and he didn't push for it when he read my works--not any of the four times I took classes with him.

As for my second professor, he believed in dramatization over narration--and I don't. F. Scott Fitzgerald, writer of my favorite novel, knew how to narrate and make it consistently powerful and entertaining through the strength of imagery, of vocabulary, of the rhythm that words convey to anyone who will listen.

The word "authority" has its root in the word "author." Take authority, I say: insert your own voice and insert it frequently. If the characters could operate independently without your input, what good would you be? You may as well hand your idea to a ghostwriter, if your voice as the author isn't in play. Narrate. Summarize. Convert twenty lines of dialogue into two lines of exposition. (Not always, of course, but often.) These are my principles, and although they didn't stand with those of my second professor, he didn't push against them in the two classes I took with him either.

It's certainly possible to find creative writing teachers who seek to improve you rather than change you--and I'd encourage it for anyone who means to be serious about writing. That said, the best teachers may not cost anything because they may not necessarily be professors; they may be your own peers, offering suggestions and constructive criticism. Find what you can, I say, and if you have a great teacher then try not to let go.

Scribble

dragonlife29 said:
Well, I'm out.

I was pretty much done with my entry until I had to run an errand...when I came home, my brother somehow managed to delete my file =/

I'm pissed.

=( =/

Can't you try to write something else? Doesn't have to be as long as your lost work.

dragonlife29 said:
Well, I'm out.

I'm pissed.

Well, hell, that sucks dude. Think you can rewrite it? I know it won't come out the same, but it might be worth a shot.

Jiggy37 said:
Nah, don't worry, I'm a pretty junk writer. :D

Edit: I will say this, though.
Perhaps, I'm just making excuses, but I'm glad you had a better experiance. That makes me sound like I disliked my teachers, but I don'tThey were both fantastic. Even if I could never really write what they want. My second professor said I wrote like the ADC afternoon special. :lol

Cyan

Banned
dragonlife29 said:
Well, I'm out.

I'm pissed.
Damn, that sucks! Man, how does that even happen... how old is your brother?

Memles

dragonlife29 said:
Well, I'm out.

I'm pissed.

If you come back and say "Found it!" and post it, I applaud your genius.

If not, this is tragic news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom