• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the biggest gaming bomb of Fall 2014

sflufan

Banned
All these Shadows of Mordor picks give me a sad. Game looks great. I already pre-ordered on Steam.

I have Shadows of Mordor pre-ordered as well and I'm convinced that it will be lucky to achieve middling-to-fair sales performance.

I wouldn't be surprised that many of those who think it's going to not do well also have it pre-ordered like myself. It's just that we know how this industry operates.

Everything that comes the month gta5 releases if it is this year, probably.

But evil within and the alien game feel like that either way. I'm getting both though

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishment is gonna be a nuke that blows on deployment.

Evil Within has a small chance to make some profit but I'd be willing to bet it flops like a fish out of water too.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.
Franchise fatigue + different developer + last gen only + Destiny makes this a seemingly obvious choice, but maybe I'll eat crow over it

Sunset Overdrive.
While Sales will likely not be BAD, it's just coming out to a crowded market and doesn't seem to have nearly the hype potential as other XB1 exclusives like Titanfall and Master Chief Collection. Insomniac's games have also been lackluster in sales for some time.

The Evil Within.
I'm a fan of Mikami but I think the extremely crowded October timeframe is just going to leave this game languishing on store shelves.

The Club.
With Forza Horizon 2 and Drive Club incoming plus Ubisoft's marketing seems to be getting spent on its two Assassin's Creed games and Far Cry 4.

Banamy

The Crew has too much competition. I think FH2 will blow it out of the water.

NBA Live it was atrocious last year.

Assassin Creed: Rogue

Sunset overdrive will sell, I think but it won't blow people away.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The Crew - The game is sent out to die and should release in March instead.

The Evil Within - Seems incredibly niche and front-loaded.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - Should sell a decent amount of copies; however, a port to PS4 & Xbone will most likely be needed to recoup development costs.

And to those mentioning Smash Bros Wii U, the title will most likely ship between 1.2.-1.5 million in the U.S. alone for Q3, hardly considered a flop.

On a side note, I hope Captain Toad does well :)

Megatron

September
Destiny
Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes
Fantasy Life
FIFA 15
Flockers
Hyrule Warriors
inFamous: First Light
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution
Natural Doctrine
NHL 15
Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures 2
Shadow Warrior
Tenkai Knights: Brave Battle
The Sims 4
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate

October
Alien: Isolation
Bayonetta 2
Borderlands: The Pre Sequel!
Disney Magical World
DRIVECLUB
F1 2014
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Forza Horizon 2
Just Dance 2015
Lords of the Fallen
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
MX vs. ATV Supercross
NBA 2K15
NBA Live 15
Power Rangers Super Megaforce
Project Spark
Raven's Cry
Samurai Warriors 4
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments
Singstar Ultimate Party
Skylanders: Trap Team
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
Sunset Overdrive
Super Smash Bros.
The Evil Within
The Walking Dead Game Of The Year Edition
Tropico 5
WWE 2K15

November
Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom
Assassin's Creed: Rogue
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Disney Planes: Fire & Rescue
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Escape Dead Island
Far Cry 4
Grand Theft Auto V
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
LittleBigPlanet 3
Persona Q
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Pro Evolution Soccer 2015
Project CARS
Shape Up
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
Tales of Hearts R
The Crew
The Wolf Among Us

December
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Well considering there is not one single Vita game on that list, I'm going to go with the Vita.

Cuburt

I'm going with Destiny if we are talking relative to expectations.

IPs like Sunset Overdrive and Bayonetta 2 may end up being "bombs" in sales but I don't think expectations are astronomically divorced from what actual performance will be.

Destiny has everything going for it and expectations that Bungie's next game will be the new Halo and that's where I think it will fall under expectations. Early sales will have everyone quick to trumpet it's success, but sales will then fall off a cliff.

I'm expecting a scenario similar to Bioshock Infinite which didn't sell terribly but expectations (and probably development/marketing budgets) say that it was a disappointment and we all know what happened to Irrational.

the crew, evil within, sunset overdrive, lords of the fallen will bomb hard

i dont think shadow of mordor will do great either, game looks awesome so hopefully they give it some advertising

i think aliens has enough hype going for it to do ok

(i have evil within, shadow of mordor and aliens all pre-ordered)

I find this repulsive. This is why we get DLC on every single game.

If these games had already been released, then maybe we could sit here and throw it all to the wind. We're criticizing some games that have already established fan bases (no offence to the Naruto comment I made), but we're labeling a game that a lot of us have already payed for and are currently waiting to enjoy.

The industry has probably cut games in half because they realize that if only a few select people are going to enjoy their games, they might as well add DLC so people can give them more money, so that they might not go bankrupt. I could be wrong about that. I still think we're throwing away a lot of potential enjoyment by doing this regardless. I would hate to see Mikami's face after reading a thread like this. He'd probably give us all the finger.

I bought FUSE tonight on PSN and we all know where all the potential went there. I only paid $4.99. It's not like I'm going to be thrilled with it, but I like Insomniac.

I was answering the question the thread is about.

If you have a problem with that, you shouldn't be in this thread.

Lords of the Fallen... I have no idea why they're sending it out now. Summer drought would've been the perfect time.

Lords of the Fallen. I will NEVER understand why companies continue to do this. It makes absolutely no sense and is inexcusable. Releasing during the Summer would of made more sense due to thirsty gamers and less competition, but noooo we gotta try to get that Fall/holiday money and hope gamers will ignore the high profile titles to try out our game. Maybe it will appeal to Dark Souls fans.............maybe.

Sunset Overdrive. I don't know, it's probably going to procure admirable sales, but I think it could fall below expectations due to competition again. The game looks colorful and sort of cartoony and I am not sure if that will sit well with the X1's contingent. I could be wrong though, but I have a feeling that I am not.

Bayonetta 2. Niche, yet amazing looking Japanese game on the Wii U that will inevitably and unfortunately be rarely advertised or not promoted at all like so many other games. We haven't seen a Wii U commercial in like 5 years, so that combined with lack of advertising for Bayonetta 2 probably won't mix well together.

Evil Within. Not sure about this one also. It has the potential to acquire some decent sales, but I have a feeling that it will not be marketed much or properly.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The Evil Within doesn't have to bomb, there are millions of Resident Evil fans out there. Most of these fans became fans because of Resident Evil 4 and this looks much better than the last two mainline RE games Capcom had churned out. I think it will sell decently. Now, Shadow of Mordor? Yeah, it might bomb.

The Evil Within doesn't have to bomb, there are millions of Resident Evil fans out there. Most of these fans became fans because of Resident Evil 4 and this looks much better than the last two mainline RE games Capcom had churned out. I think it will sell decently. Now, Shadow of Mordor? Yeah, it might bomb.

I see a lot of people saying this. Isn't Lord of the Rings still a fairly popular franchise or am I missing something?

Raziel

LittleBigPlanet 3 - November will kill it. I know Sony first party are all million sellers so far even Knack, but this November is a different beast. Should be moved up to October like LBP1.

Project Cars - November will kill it. Also has little to no marketing capability being an indie game and distributed by Bamco. Should be delayed to 2015 like Evolve.

Lords of the Fallen - Obviously will bomb. Should be delayed to 2015.

The Crew - Online-only racing games always bomb. Also November. Also isn't Ubi releasing 2 AC games and FC4 in the same 2 week span? Something's gotta give.

Bayonetta 2 - Agree with earlier post that said it will either do okay because WiiU owners have nothing else to play or will bomb horrifically like Wonderful 101.

Borderlands - Obvious stop-gap game and/or not made by original developer. See Gears of War Judgement, Batman Arkham Origins, God of War Ascension. Will do decently because of the name, then slashed to 20 bucks in a few months.

More predictions: Evil Within and Alien will do decently, there is deceptively little core games releasing in October for the new consoles that are not racing and sports. Think Wolfenstein sales rather than Watch Dogs sales.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Alien: Isolation
Bayonetta 2
Borderlands: The Pre Sequel!
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Lords of the Fallen
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
Project Spark
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
The Evil Within
Assassin's Creed: Rogue
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Far Cry 4
Pro Evolution Soccer 2015
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
The Crew

There you have it. Bombas and GwG/PS+ candidates for next year.

Dremark

Banned
Natural Doctrine is probably going to die in the market. Buzz from the Japanese release has been negative and gamers who play those type of games are some of the most knowledgeable around.

My guess is Forza Horizon 2. Most XB1 owners who love sim already have Forza 5 so it doesn't make sense to get another driving game when there are other really good games available like NBA 2K15, WWE 2K15 and Sunset Overdrive on the same month.

I think Bayonetta 2 will surpass expectations (given the low baseline) since there are no other Wii U games coming in October. It's the perfect time for Nintendo to release an action game with realistic graphics after releasing so many platformers and cartoon games for many months on the Wii U.

ElTopo

Banned
Destiny. I kinda' hope it flops. Or at least is a disappointment considering the half a billion dollar budget.

Also, WTF is up with an MMO FPS title somehow NOT being released on PC?

Navy Bean

LittleBigPlanet3 - just think it will get lost in the shuffle other than die hard fans of the series.
Sunset Overdrive - not sure what to make of this. Bundle should help a bit.

A lot of games are going to bomb. Bayonetta 2 probably won't sell well, but I don't think anyone is expecting big numbers out of it. One of the October horror games -- Alien or Evil Within -- will get lost in the shuffle. Right now I think Alien will do decently based on its name alone. Shadow of Mordor will likely have solid sales on its name alone as well.

The Crew is going to bomb. It's got tonnes of competition and the game itself is just bad. I thought it was the worst handling driving game I've ever played last year, it wasn't improved this year, and my friend who was playing it for the first time felt the same as I did.

Lords of the Fallen. I had totally forgotten it existed, the idea of a Souls-like game was really cool and all but then Bloodborne happened and it seems like LotF has fallen off the face of the earth.

Sunset Overdrive should do decently because Microsoft is going to push it so hard, but I don't see it being the game to move units either. It'll be solid, score 78-82 on Metacritic but I'm not expecting it to blow anyone away.

Visceir

People who predict Shadow Of Mordor are just as crazy as the ones who predicted that Guardians Of The Galaxy will bomb. Game will get great reviews and good sales.

My guess is Forza Horizon 2. Most XB1 owners who love sim already have Forza 5 so it doesn't make sense to get another driving game when there are other really good games available like NBA 2K15, WWE 2K15 and Sunset Overdrive on the same month.

I think Bayonetta 2 will surpass expectations (given the low baseline) since there are no other Wii U games coming in October. It's the perfect time for Nintendo to release an action game with realistic graphics after releasing so many platformers and cartoon games for many months on the Wii U.

I didn't play much of the first Horizon. I only played the demo on the 360, but from what I've heard and seen as well as the small portion I've played I don't think it is comparable to The Forza Motorsport series. Most say it is more along the lines of an arcade racer with a skill point system like PGR rather than a true sim like Forza Motorsport. Keep in mind that I have played every Forza Motorsport other than 4, but I haven't played much of Horizon so I can't be 100% sure on this, but I do not think that the games being similar is something to be worried about. Plus, many like open-world racers more than track based racers. I'm actually one of those so I'm hoping I enjoy Horizon 2 more than Forza 5.

jholmes

Alien: Isolation, The Crew, Assassin's Creed: Rogue, probably one out of Shadows of Mordor and Evil Within -- nothing against these games, I just think there's only so many games that will sell and these maybe won't have the marketing juice behind them -- and most of all Borderlands. I don't know if Borderlands really will do all that well, but karma would have me believe it should pay the price for Colonial Marines. (Unfortunately so will Isolation, even though that's it not its fault.)

I think a lot of games will bomb and bomb hard this year, this is just the reality of industry contraction and the risk of triple-A games. I also think Little Big Planet won't sell as well as some people think. I just think the demographics don't favour it.

Some of these games though (Halo, Smash) I don't even know what you guys are talking about. I also think Bayonetta 2 won't sell below Nintendo's expectations, thus it won't bomb. I also think you guys are wrong about Sunset Overdrive, although maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

PES 2015
NBA Live 15

for sure, FIFA and 2K are the reference.

Sunset Overdrive
will have a really hard time, X1 only, new IP and on the Videos I see nothing that makes me want to own it. I kinda wann try it for a couple minutes, but it comes out the same day as
AC Unity so its gonna be rough

Linkyn

Probably Borderlands or The Evil Within, though a small part of me wants AC Rogue to be the biggest bomba ever. That there is no PC version of that game still baffles me.

PES 2015
NBA Live 15

for sure, FIFA and 2K are the reference.

Sunset Overdrive
will have a really hard time, X1 only, new IP and on the Videos I see nothing that makes me want to own it. I kinda wann try it for a couple minutes, but it comes out the same day as
AC Unity so its gonna be rough

Well actually it doesn't come out the same day as AC Unity anymore since that was delayed to November 11th. Also, how does being X1 only have anything to do with having a hard time. Why would you be comparing an exclusive to a multiplatform game in sales if that's what your referring to? If that's the case not many exclusive games don't bomb unless they're massive sellers like Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable or GT/Uncharted/TLoU/God of War because they're constrained to one platform.

I wanna say Destiny since its so hyped up. IMO I think its gonna be a fun game to play with friends but no where as awesome as the hype made it out to be. Or Sunset Overdrive.

Got the PS4 Ghost Edition

I think it will be one of the four Ubisoft games coming out within two weeks of each other.

Probably The Crew but Far Cry 4 or AC Rogue could easily bomb.

casiopao

Lords of the Fallen. I will NEVER understand why companies continue to do this. It makes absolutely no sense and is inexcusable. Releasing during the Summer would of made more sense due to thirsty gamers and less competition, but noooo we gotta try to get that Fall/holiday money and hope gamers will ignore the high profile titles to try out our game. Maybe it will appeal to Dark Souls fans.............maybe.

Sunset Overdrive. I don't know, it's probably going to procure admirable sales, but I think it could fall below expectations due to competition again. The game looks colorful and sort of cartoony and I am not sure if that will sit well with the X1's contingent. I could be wrong though, but I have a feeling that I am not.

Bayonetta 2. Niche, yet amazing looking Japanese game on the Wii U that will inevitably and unfortunately be rarely advertised or not promoted at all like so many other games. We haven't seen a Wii U commercial in like 5 years, so that combined with lack of advertising for Bayonetta 2 probably won't mix well together.

Evil Within. Not sure about this one also. It has the potential to acquire some decent sales, but I have a feeling that it will not be marketed much or properly.

Wii U have been having great marketing though?

Huge CM on Wii U and Mario Kart there.

Top Bottom