• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the biggest gaming bomb of Fall 2014

I expect Sunset to be Insomniacs best selling game since the Spyro days, especially in terms of first month sales.

I seriously seriously doubt it will outsell the 4.5 million of Resistance: Fall of Man. Even Resistance 2 sold I think about 2.5 million; I think that's about the level Sunset can expect.

TheXbox

Driveclub. It might have done well for Sony if it had hit launch window, but now all the hype seems to have dissipated. Not sure there's a ton of interest in racing sims these days anyway, especially from games that aren't Forza or GT. Even GT6 did pretty poorly.

I seriously seriously doubt it will outsell the 4.5 million of Resistance: Fall of Man. Even Resistance 2 sold I think about 2.5 million; I think that's about the level Sunset can expect.

Yeah, no way it's going to sell 4.5 million. If reviews are great then it's possible that it can sell around 2m+. The thing is though the RFOM numbers are kinda misleading because it was a massively bundled launch title, which is why Resistance 2 and especially Resistance 3 sold nowhere near as much.

I'm betting under 1m.

This is very unlikely, if titles like Ryse and Knack which where almost universally panned can sell around a million in under a year, I don't see Sunset selling less than that in its lifetime especially since it's receiving way more marketing and will likely be a much better game than either of those titles.

SZips

The Crew doesn't seem to be much like Test Drive Unlimited at all. Did I miss some modes or something? The Forza Horizon series seems to be the closest we've gotten to a TD:U since.

It doesn't seem to be much like TDU (or TDU2)? They're open world racing titles with a variety of race types, cars, free roam co-op, and both have a fairly weak "story." They're very similar. In addition, Ivory Tower, one of the studios working on The Crew is made up of former team members that worked on TDU and Need for Speed.

baconcow

NHL '15. This could be the end, given how EA has handled this years iteration. 25 years in and less content than NHL '94.

Hindle

Banned

Resistance 2 sold 3m, mostly at a budget price as well. SO will do better at $60 then both Resistance and R&C as its getting a decent marketing campaign

Edit. R1 was a launch and was a pack in.

Resistance 2 sold 3m, mostly at a budget price as well. SO will do better at $60 then both Resistance and R&C as its getting a decent marketing campaign

Thinking SO will sell better than a Ratchet title is legit insane.

RoKKeR

Driveclub. It might have done well for Sony if it had hit launch window, but now all the hype seems to have dissipated. Not sure there's a ton of interest in racing sims these days anyway, especially from games that aren't Forza or GT. Even GT6 did pretty poorly.

Driveclub is not a sim, not even close.

Either way, I think Driveclub will sell poorly at retail as a result of the PS+ situation. For as many people who try the trial and say "this is great, I want more!", I can only help but feel there will be twice as many saying "fun demo, great looking game... back to Destiny."

Wait, so Resistance FOM doesn't count because it was a launch title that was heavily bundled, and Resistance 2 doesn't count because it "mostly" sold at a budget price? Any other shifting goalposts to add? We don't even have any way to measure how many copies it would sell at $60 versus discounted prices, and I'm not even sure MS themselves would be able to accurately record such specifics.

Anyway, let's just wait and see if Sunset Overdrive sells 3 million+ copies to a user base of 6-7 million, shall we?

scoobs

Shadow of Mordor and Evil Within. My definition of Bomba is an overhyped game that just doesn't deliver, and will be heavily discounted not 6 months from release.

Bayo2 won't sell very much in the grand scheme of things, but it'll do great compared to other Nintendo titles.

Almost zero chance this game bombs

So not sure if I should bump this thread or not, but I'd thought it would be fun to talk about how accurate we were at the mid way point.

Bayonetta 2 am cry.

Circinus

Lots of crow for all of those who said Shadow of Mordor.

I think The Evil Within, Assassin's Creed: Rogue and The Crew also did relatively well? Lots of crow for people that mentioned those as well.

Donos

I think The Evil Within, Assassin's Creed: Rogue and The Crew also did relatively well?

The Crew was really a suprise for me. That game seriously looked all kinds of bad. "Nextgen" thirst was real.

I think The Evil Within, Assassin's Creed: Rogue and The Crew also did relatively well?

Evil Within was best debut for a new horror series ever, so I think it did ok^^ I thought the crew under performed, but the genre is kind of a low selling one outside of Europa, so maybe it did enough to make Ubisoft happy^^

Edit: The Evil Within thing was for NPD, so not sure about rest of world except Japan and UK where it did relatively good as well^^

Circinus

Evil With In was best debut for a new horror series ever, so I think it did ok^^ I thought the crew under performed, but the genre is kind of a low selling one outside of Europa, so maybe it did enough to make Ubisoft happy^^

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit...0959_ubisoftq3fy15englishfinaltcm99193930.pdf

2 million copies shipped for The Crew by 31 December 2014.

Also, something that might be a little indication, the Facebook page for The Crew has 800K likes which is a lot. (the Forza Motorsport page has ~400K likes for comparison, Gran Turismo has ~2.3M likes)

Edit: Ubisoft were targeting 2.5 million sales for The Crew. They've probably reached that number.

I know beating a dead horse, but poor hindle^^ You could not have been more wrong...

-MD-

The Evil Within got 180 mentions in this thread.

I don't think there's enough crow in the world.

-MD-

Shame it didn't turn out to be all that great. Enjoyed Revelations 2 far more.

A lot of people seemed to like it and it was received pretty well critically, my favorite game from last year as well.

Revelations 2 is uh... well I'm not a fan of it, played a couple hours and shelved it.

Really interesting reading back over this topic. So can we conclude what were the biggest software bombs of 2014? I'm sure Bayonetta 2 did poorly, but it was probably in line with pared-back expectations. I was surprised how well The Crew sold, although Ubi has been hiding sales numbers behind shipped announcements. I still think Escape Dead Island probably did very poorly, but then it was clearly low budget so who knows what kind of turnover Deep Silver needed.

Do we have any idea how Sunset Overdrive sold?

TomShoe

Banned
Really interesting reading back over this topic. So can we conclude what were the biggest software bombs of 2014? I'm sure Bayonetta 2 did poorly, but it was probably in line with pared-back expectations. I was surprised how well The Crew sold, although Ubi has been hiding sales numbers behind shipped announcements. I still think Escape Dead Island probably did very poorly, but then it was clearly low budget so who knows what kind of turnover Deep Silver needed.

I'm on mobile, so I can't pull up the sugar numbers. Escape Dead Island almost certainly bombed, as a last gen exclusive that was critically panned, it didn't stand much of a chance. I wouldn't necessarily call it a huge bomb though, as expectations were most certainly low. Sunset Overdrive might be a bit trickier. It didn't chart in its first NPD, and the white Xbox it was bundled with was limited. Whether it's broken 1 million or not yet is debatable.

Chobel

We have US number for 2014: 280K. It also didn't do well in the other countries.

There's no word on how well it sold. It was #9 on individual SKU for the NPD it released but other than that nothing.

JD_Lars

"Resurrection"

Chobel

Someone should create " Predict the biggest gaming bomb of Fall 2015" thread, lol.

It will be Rainbow Six: Siege

bebop242

Someone should create " Predict the biggest gaming bomb of Fall 2015" thread, lol.

It will be Rainbow Six: Siege

Yeah i was dissapointed that this was for last year.

Damn Insomniac can't catch a break if that sales number is anywhere close to truth.

GeoramA

Funny reading all those ''Shadow of Mordor'' replies!
I didn't think it would do as well as it did. Now its on its way to becoming a huge gaming series.

Damn shame about SO. I think the Ratchet & Clank remake will be a big success for them, though. Especially at only $40.

Walpurgis

Banned
These are the NPD results for October
21:9 > 380
4-46%,1-27%

2137 < 150
4-41%,1-32%

4 drive 46
1 drive 110
samus2 68
Level-5 46
ds clone 39
21:9 is The Evil Within (46% PS4, 21% xbone)

2137 is Alien: Isolation (41% PS4, 32% xbone)

4 drive is Driveclub
1 drive is Sunset Overdrve
samus2 is Bayonetta 2
Level-5 is Fantasy Life
ds clone is Lords of the Fallen.

Top Bottom