• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm incredibly sick of this "PC Master Race" crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I don't really see it here, as I'd like to think GAF is more mature on these kind of matters. But Reddit, 4 Chan, IGN (boards), and pretty much any other gamer heavy forum, are crawling with people who keep spouting this shit over and over. I don't really understand it. I personally feel that if you aren't playing on consoles and PC that you are severely limiting yourself. But playing either exclusively doesn't provoke feelings either way and it shouldn't matter to anyone. Are these people insecure or....what? I legitimately don't understand it. I thought it would go away, but it just never ends. I'm sure it's 14 year olds who get new PCs finally and think they're gods or something. But damn it's annoying me.

Ark

I have both a gaming PC and a PS4, whenever I recommend my PC only friends to pick up a console they laugh. It's really silly, you end up missing out on a lot of the best games.

Stevey

I play on PC all the time and I've never heard anyone at all say it seriously.

It's like a joke.

MMaRsu

Banned
I think its meant as a joke. But honestly PC gamers do have it good. PC only folks doing it wrong tho.

Rich!

PC gaming isn't the master race. The master race are people who own a PC AND a Wii U.

joke, but I've found that's the ideal console combination. It's my choice anyway.

bj00rn_

Banned
Just a minority of insecure extremists that likes to make themselves look bigger than they are because they feel threatened. Just take the high road and ignore it. It was used tongue-in-cheek with a slightly different meaning in the beginning btw.

Trey

It's seeped into console discussion. That Destiny DF thread is pretty much "PS4 master race" distilled.

sub_o

As an ethnic minority in my country that has history of strong discrimination. I find the phrase 'master race' bit too much. I'd rather they say 'PC superior machine' or something like that. The phrase 'Master race' might evoke some bad memories to some people.

Stevey

That's how it started. Then the people that were actually being made fun of didn't get the joke and re-appropriated it without realizing it. Look at /r/pcmasterrace.

It's not longer a joke sadly.

It's a joke that you don't get because you're not part of the masterrace.

Seriously it's a joke, just ignore it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
On the other hand, I do feel like the increased zealousness of PC advocacy has drastically changed PC gaming for the better...it seems like there are fewer console exclusives and shoddy PC ports these days. But yeah, master race stuff is obnoxious unless you're on that subreddit, which is hilarious.

Haunted

Thanks, Yahtzee.

That's how it started. Then the people that were actually being made fun of didn't get the joke and re-appropriated it without realizing it. Look at /r/pcmasterrace.

It's no longer a joke sadly.
Think of it like some of the people online fighting for equality taking the "social justice warrior" tag (originally thrown around as an insult) and making it their own.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The whole resolution debate with the PS4 and XB1 have really brought some of them out of the woodwork. They can be insufferable, I say this as someone that has a gaming PC, but mostly prefers consoles.

Alienous

It's no longer a joke sadly.

I'm pretty sure that's a big joke. It isn't hurting anyone.

I'm pretty sure the whole point it's done is to get a rise out of people who can't take a joke. I would imagine by this post, they have been successful.

DryvBy

This is going to end with a lot of bans. I got banned for simply reposting an image someone else posted and saying the PC elitism is annoying, even to me as a PC gamer.

Acosta

Silence peasant.

hOhqkEd.jpg

gngf123

your first mistake was considering reddit, 4chan, and ign forums as serious discussion boards

4chan and IGN I'll give you, but Reddit is a pretty big mixed bag. Just stay the hell away from /r/gaming.

Anyway, I don't like the "PC Master Race" talk either, and I'm a PC gamer first and foremost. It is normally just used as a simple joke though.

I think the PC master race remark means a few things to different groups of people. Some like myself say it as a tongue in cheek thing, others just say it because visually it is the best place to play many multi platform games when they have a choice. I suspect only a vocal minority play exclusively on PC and take it seriously, but everyone who says it gets bundled into this category.

SgtCobra

I used to do this some time ago and then I realised how awful it is by seing someone bringing the same shit up every time people are talking about console games. It's even worse than console warriowarriorsr's sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom