• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Tabata on Final Fantasy XV - "core-centric", "casual", "best FF ever"

HeelPower

Never! Avatar lives on!

uFGvMLa.png

OG Stella is Chappu.

killatopak

Exactly. If they wanted us to think they're different characters, why not show "both" of them in the trailer. We've known Stella for years.

Maybe they can't because SE wants you to think there aren't two characters. Anyway, we're guessing things so we won't know for sure. I'm very skeptical especially because Nomura says it's still Stella but in the new magazine scan it says "New Character".

Andthereitis.gif

Girl is Stella. I don't know why people want to believe otherwise.
Why the name change though?

Exactly. If they wanted us to think they're different characters, why not show "both" of them in the trailer. We've known Stella for years.

In all fairness, (assuming they're different characters), we have yet to see Stella at all. (outside of the front-shot)

We've known Stella for years, but from a perspective of a re-introduction, if they intend to make her reappearance its own thing, then it makes sense why they're not showing her yet.

wmlk

Can I just say how awesomely well-directed that E3 2013 trailer was? Especially the part with the character portraits coming up. It's like everything we knew about the game was culminating at that point.

Also, maybe Luna/Stella looks conflicted because she knows she has to open a can of whoop-ass on Noctis. I hope that's what it is.

HeelPower

Oh my god this post is embarrassing.

A woman's looks are not her character, thanks.

If I didn't know any better, it's as if you're saying feminine = weak.

Guys chill out.

The old Stella clearly has more dominant demeanor and facial features ,and that's what he meant.

Character design can convey such things,regardless of the character's sex.

New Prompto looks has a more dominant demeanor than old prompto for instance who looks like a crackhead.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The scans are a disappointment :(

Screenshots from the trailer and official website. I thought one would of had at least a new character art or something ;.;

Oh well, anything interesting from the scans that were mentioned?

Golnei

Also, maybe Luna/Stella looks conflicted because she knows she has to open a can of whoop-ass on Noctis. I hope that's what it is.

As do I - especially if she actually gets to be a boss. Unless if they pull that 'JRPG boss fight against a female lead character' cliche; where you have to fight a bunch of regular enemies and avoid harming her because she's so delicate and frail.

KoopaTheCasual

Maybe they can't because SE wants you to think there aren't two characters. Anyway, we're guessing things so we won't know for sure. I'm very skeptical especially because Nomura says it's still Stella but in the new magazine scan it says "New Character".

Why the name change though?
As I explained before, SE has done this in the past where the dialogue has nothing to do with the scene on the screen. Watch the ending of the E3 2013 trailer, when the conversation between Noctis and someone else goes:

"You want the truth?"

"Why not"

"It's complicated"

That dialogue does not match the movement of the characters lips at all (Cor's lips aren't even moving at all in the shot they used), but SE clearly layered the trailer in that way, in order to achieve a thematic 'feel'.

The same thing is (likely) happening here. The cast is talking about a woman named Luna, but they just stuck in a render of Stella there from an unrelated scene in the game, just to capture a 'feeling' that the trailer was going for.

killatopak

As I explained before, SE has done this in the past where the dialogue has nothing to do with the scene on the screen. Watch the ending of the E3 2013 trailer, when the conversation between Noctis and someone else goes:

"You want the truth?"

"Why not"

"It's complicated"

That dialogue does not match the movement of the characters lips at all (Cor's lips aren't even moving at all in the shot they used), but SE clearly layered the trailer in that way, in order to achieve a thematic 'feel'.

The same thing is (likely) happening here. The cast is talking about a woman named Luna, but they just stuck in a render of Stella there from an unrelated scene in the game, just to capture a 'feeling' that the trailer was going for.
Good point.

If the character in the scan is named Luna though, that would overturn your reasoning that it just pans to Stella but talks about another character.
well then why do they call her luna if she presented herself as stella?

Could be the other way around.

Kinda reminds me of the false FFXIII plot info leaked about Serah actually time traveling to the past and becoming Lighting(where she was the daughter of the fake bad guy, Eraskus La Mata, and her real name was Seraphina La Mata). I think the gist was, Lighting raises Serah, then Serah is kidnapped by her father, and eventually Lighting rescues Serah, kills Eraskus, but winds up dying from a mortal injury. Serah realizes who Lightning is(Lightnings grave gives her "real" name) and travels back in time to protect her younger self as the new "Lightning"). LOL!

Yeah I remember that. Good times.

Asd202

Kinda reminds me of the false FFXIII plot info leaked about Serah actually time traveling to the past and becoming Lighting(where she was the daughter of the fake bad guy, Eraskus La Mata, and her real name was Seraphina La Mata). I think the gist was, Lighting raises Serah, then Serah is kidnapped by her father, and eventually Lighting rescues Serah, kills Eraskus, but winds up dying from a mortal injury. Serah realizes who Lightning is(Lightnings grave gives her "real" name) and travels back in time to protect her younger self as the new "Lightning"). LOL!

Knowing Toriyma this was real but was later changed by someone smart :p

Road

Best Stella is dead.

She died with Versus XIII, Nomura, the KH-like combat system and many other things we probably won't find out until years later, if ever.

There's only Luna now.

Maybe they're sisters, but Stella is still dead in the game. =P

Edit: I hope Cor is still alive...

pszet0

Banned
I think they either renamed Stella to Luna or Luna is a cover name. Either way they are the same person imo. Luna looks way too much like E3 2013 Stella for her not to be.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
This is unnecessarily confusing, ugh.

I think they're also intentionally not telling us her middle or a last name :p The 4 guys have their full names laid out whereas she's just Luna, a mysterious girl.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It's not uncommon for characters in hiding to assume a different name, a secret identity, especially when we're talking Shakespearean influences here.

Go_Ly_Dow

Eh, the dengeki spread is out.

It says Luna is a new character, and in the little insert it says

"Arata ni hanmei shita nazo no josei. Nokuto-tachi no tabi ni, do no youna kakawari-wo matsu nodarou ka?"

A new mysterious woman has been revealed. One can only wonder what her involvement is with Noct and gang (on their journey).

new character confirmed then

addik

I just find it strange that if Luna is indeed Stella renamed, why present her as a new character? They can just say that the character is named Luna, and not mention she's a new character. She's pretty much the same person as from the E3 trailer (which also had a line from the scene where Noctis and Stella/Luna first meet, so Stella is definitely in the game, but we just don't know if they turned her to Luna).

That said, I would be interested to find out why they would do something as drastic as changing Stella's name to Luna and changing her motif this late in to development (assuming she was still Stella back in E3 '13).

killatopak

I really doubt Stella is being taken into account here.

Was she officially revealed with FFXV blow out last year ? or are we talking Versus news ?

Nomura still refers to her as Stella in E3 2013. I think TGS trailer is the first instance of using the Luna name.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It's not uncommon for characters in hiding to assume a different name, a secret identity, especially when we're talking Shakespearean influences here.

They're totally going to have Noctis thinking that they're two characters because one version has her hair up and wears a moon necklace while Stella lets down her hair and wears star earrings :p

"What? You mean these two people with the same faces is the same person?"

wmlk

I wonder if they're reintroducing all the characters starting from E3 2013. They reintroduced Noctis & gang as if we never knew them. Maybe it's a blank slate and they're just reintroducing Luna as Stella.

HeelPower

Nomura said the girl in the trailer last year is Stella.

ok!

Maybe stella lives ? O:

The long dirty blonde haired heroine will show up out of no where ?

Would be pleasantly surprised.Perhaps the distinctive eye colour is related to a race like the green eyes swirly eyes with albhed.

Top Bottom