• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 09/29 - 10/05

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

(click to enlarge)

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week | Last 4 Weeks | YTD       |    LTD      [/U][/B] 
DS       |    42,385 |    57,847 |      225,333 | 2,406,791 | 23,537,464
PSP      |    26,045 |    25,671 |      110,546 | 2,809,245 | 10,448,277
WII      |    25,330 |    26,314 |      111,251 | 2,215,488 |  6,806,297
PS2      |     8,618 |     9,848 |       33,855 |   391,029 | 21,318,069
360      |     8,271 |    11,291 |       61,527 |   197,166 |    696,236
PS3      |     7,232 |     8,275 |       31,716 |   689,482 |  2,323,926

sphinx

the piano man
Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week | Last 4 Weeks | YTD       |    LTD      [/U][/B] 
DS       |    42,385 |    57,847 |      225,333 | 2,406,791 | 23,537,464
PSP      |    26,045 |    25,671 |      110,546 | 2,809,245 | 10,448,277
WII      |    25,330 |    26,314 |      111,251 | 2,215,488 |  6,806,297
PS2      |     8,618 |     9,848 |       33,855 |   391,029 | 21,318,069
360      |     8,271 |    11,291 |       61,527 |   197,166 |    696,236
PS3      |     7,232 |     8,275 |       31,716 |   689,482 |  2,323,926

one interesting thing to look forward to is whether the DS' YTD, with the new model, will surpass the PSP's YTD at the end of 08. both have new models.. and DS won't get dragon quest til march 09.

am I kidding myself and Will the DSi nuke japan altogether these holidays??

sphinx

the piano man
PantherLotus said:
The DSi will be huge. It's all but a 3-4 year pass for Nintendo to work on something else (DS2).

you know what? I think nintendo will take a different approach from now on.

Consoles will seemlessly progress and we won't even notice we are already in the " next generation", the DS after DSi will just upgrade to something else until the brand dies like the gameboy and a new product is needed. This is how you go for a 10-12 year life plan... ( taking notes, sony? )

I believe the WiiHD reports, we will have a " wii upgrade " ( notice how the term " nintendo's next generation console" must be avoided as much as possible ) in 3 or 4 years.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The real danger in doing that, of course, is being able to communicate to the end user which software is no longer compatible. So, instead of unidentifiable transitions between generations, I propose that they will continue the tradition of upgrading their SKUs just enough to warrant a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th purchases. Multiple colors, options, packages, all that.

The next generation will begin as usual, but they will have longer to work on it from the life-extending beauty of the multiple SKU. The idea, of course, backfires if you release them all at once (PS3 says hello).

sphinx

the piano man
PantherLotus said:
The real danger in doing that, of course, is being able to communicate to the end user which software is no longer compatible. So, instead of unidentifiable transitions between generations, I propose that they will continue the tradition of upgrading their SKUs just enough to warrant a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th purchases. Multiple colors, options, packages, all that.

The next generation will begin as usual, but they will have longer to work on it from the life-extending beauty of the multiple SKU. The idea, of course, backfires if you release them all at once (PS3 says hello).

you think PS3 has shown everything it can possibly do? mmh, I think they can always add/change stuff. the problem always is costs, adding stuff to the PS3 while making it smaller, quieter, and, and, and... can possibly take lots of money.. which is a reason why the PS3 in itself isn't the smartest of ventures...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I miss spoke--I meant that launching multiple SKUs at once is poor strategy, while releasing them over time is a good strategy.

sphinx

the piano man
PantherLotus said:
I miss spoke--I meant that launching multiple SKUs at once is poor strategy, while releasing them over time is a good strategy.

do you consider 20GB,40GB,60GB,80GB,120GB different skus?

cause in all honesty I am not sure why should anyone get excited about more space. Yes, space is better but not "$150" bucks better.. I mean is just space...am I wrong?

in my eyes, PS3 hasn't announced nor released anything relevant since the original PS3's launch, colors ( in japan at least ) are similar and unattractive, HD size is irrelevant to the appeal of the console, it still is big as hell...

a "PS3 deluxe" smaller with a couple of things here and there would do wonders for the platform

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think any time we get multiple price points for the same basic product we run the potential of confusing the customer. Have they released a DS Lite-style revision that could improve their standing? Clearly not. But the point stands: multiple price points (and multiple options) is not a good thing when trying to establish a hardware base. I think the DSL and the DSi are the equivalent of PS3's (and 360's) multiple SKUs, but offered over time to extend sales rather than offered at the beginning to give the customer more options.

The strategy should NOT be to give the customer more options, but to provide an attractive upgrade/alternative for their current hardware. More importantly, when offering upgrades that could eventually split the market (like cameras), it is obviously important to hold that back until the base is established, then you can insist that it won't split the market...even though it still has that potential but should be less likely to do so.

In the PS3's case it was Dual Shock and BC.

Jonnyram

Wow, the Enterbrain weekly data is INSANE.
A sample, gentlemen:

Last week #31
Previous week #13
XB360
Infinite Undiscovery
Square Enix
Released 2008/9/11
8190 yen
RPG
This week: 2525 units sold
Shipped total: 113,330
Sold total: 103,262
Sell through rate: 91.1%
Units left on shelves: 10.1k

:O

phez

Banned
Jonnyram said:
A sample, gentlemen:

Last week #31
Previous week #13
XB360
Infinite Undiscovery
Square Enix
Released 2008/9/11
8190 yen
RPG

someone school me about japanese pricing, please

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 199 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was after 148.3 weeks (December 31, 2002), where DS was after 89.4 weeks (August 16, 2006), and where GBA was after 126.9 weeks (August 23, 2003).

X360 comparisons: After 147 weeks, X360 is where GCN was after 14.7 weeks (December 20, 2001), where PS3 was after 16.9 weeks (March 3, 2007), and where Wii was after 3.8 weeks (December 22, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: After 99 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was after 21.7 weeks (July 28, 2000), where PSP was after 53.5 weeks (December 14, 2005), where GCN was after 102.1 weeks (August 24, 2003), and where Wii was after 23.8 weeks (May 11, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 96 weeks, Wii is where GBA was after 89.9 weeks (December 7, 2002), where DS was after 70.3 weeks (April 4, 2006), where PS2 was after 98.3 weeks (January 14, 2002), and where PSP was after 154.0 weeks (November 17, 2007).

BishopLamont said:
Hmm, dunno what I was thinking, the DSi probably had nothing to do with the drop.
Haha. I didn't mean that to be a counter to your post, but agreeing. I actually said something similar earlier when talking about Media Create week over week in general. There's no other obvious reason why DS dropped a quarter while everything else was nearly flat.
Tron 2.0 said:
OT: Do we have LTD hardware numbers for the Micro? I always think of it as a complete disaster, but I don't know why I would think that.
Past the first week it wasn't a big hit, but it depends what you compare it to.
fam

Seeing drops PSP and DS have had for their respective redesigns, I wonder how will PS3 do when there are much better deals on the upcoming SKUs on October 30. Btw those PS3 SKUs will launch on Thursday with DSi launching on Saturday.

Just one week more for PSP until redesign but 3 weeks more for PS3 until the new units arrive, DS 3 weeks as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jonnyram said:
A sample, gentlemen:

That's really significant. If Enterbrain is calibrating their sales data extrapolations based on publisher-provided (or retailer provided) shipment numbers, the margin of error is going to be substantially lower than the already low MOE the data seems to have (comparing to MC and Dengeki; technically this merely tells either that they're all pretty right or they're all pretty wrong in the same way).

Very interesting that Sinobi, when leaking, often provides the shipment numbers, but all of the people who leak the weekly numbers early do not. I wonder if that should be an indicator that the weekly leakers do not have access to the full sheet?

Jonnyram said:
A sample, gentlemen:

Last week #31
Previous week #13
XB360
Infinite Undiscovery
Square Enix
Released 2008/9/11
8190 yen
RPG

Wow, thx for this. ^^

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Seeing drops PSP and DS have had for their respective redesigns, I wonder how will PS3 do when there are much better deals on the upcoming SKUs on October 30. Btw those PS3 SKUs will launch on Thursday with DSi launching on Saturday.

Just one week more for PSP until redesign but 3 weeks more for PS3 until the new units arrive, DS 3 weeks as well.
It'll go up for sure, but haven't the new SKUs been announced only recently? PS3's downward slope to its former numbers has been rather consistant since the release of MGS4. I think the situation is not really comparable to either PSP or DS.

linecompare.php

Phife Dawg said:
It'll go up for sure, but haven't the new SKUs been announced only recently? PS3's downward slope to its former numbers has been rather consistant since the release of MGS4. I think the situation is not really comparable to either PSP or DS.

linecompare.php
I meant going down the weeks before new SKUs hit. They were announced this week so it'll affect next hardware sales a little and then 2 more full weeks until they launch on the 30th.

PS3 being as low as it is doesn't have much room to drop but I wonder if we could see some sub 5000 numbers. I've read Sony put 40GB SKUs at open price as of today though.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I meant going down the weeks before new SKUs hit. They were announced this week so it'll affect next hardware sales a little and then 2 more full weeks until they launch on the 30th.

PS3 being as low as it is doesn't have much room to drop but I wonder if we could see some sub 5000 numbers. I've read Sony put 40GB SKUs at open price as of today though.
Yeah, something like what happened to GameCube between the announcement and arrival of its first price drop is possible.
fam

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Ah OK, my bad then. Like you I wouldn't think there's much room to go even further down but we have seen stranger things happening I guess.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Phife Dawg said:
Ah OK, my bad then. Like you I wouldn't think there's much room to go even further down but we have seen stranger things happening I guess.

I think we'll be seeing it hit 6k-ish before the end of the year. I would point to the YOY chart for inspiration.

sphinx said:
I believe the WiiHD reports, we will have a " wii upgrade " ( notice how the term " nintendo's next generation console" must be avoided as much as possible ) in 3 or 4 years.

But a WiiHD still doesn't make sense. Is it going to play older games but "magically" HDize them? Is it going to play new HD Wii games? If so, will games that work on the old Wii stop coming out?

Nintendo have wisely understood and adopted the iPod model -- incremental upgrades that encourage your existing userbase to buy new hardware that does what their old hardware does, but a little better. But the key to this is platform continuity. Every iPod still plays MP3s and AACs from 1998. This lets you drastically reduce upfront costs for the development of a new platform (bringing developers on board, researching expensive new hardware, converting your internal development resources, etc.) but still get the benefit of new hardware launches.

A system that actually breaks off continuity by creating new software that isn't backwards compatible* is always going to be the start of a new generation, and this can't be avoided by clever wording -- it will always cost more in R&D development expenses, it will always risk a change in developer loyalty and library strength, and it will always involve an opportunity for the populace to change their opinion of the sytstem (for good or ill.) It is basically never going to be in the market leader's interest to be first-mover on this because there's always going to be a gravy-train market being cut short by doing so.

Basically, I see a lot of reason for Nintendo to continue offering incremental upgrades to their existing systems (and doing it in the smart, Apple-esque every-few-years rollout fashion rather than the confusing and unhelpful PS360 fashion) but no reason to believe that the fundamental economics of the generational transfer have shifted.

*I would argue that the DSi doesn't count here because it's only enabling a new downloadable store, rather than creating a separation of retail software SKUs.

Durante

charlequin said:
(and doing it in the smart, Apple-esque every-few-years rollout fashion rather than the confusing and unhelpful PS360 fashion)
I have a hard time seeing what you mean with this comparison. Since the iPod was first released near the end of 2001 there have been 7 generations of the basic model, without counting any of the spinoffs (micro/nano/video/touch etc) or their respective hardware revisions.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Durante said:
I have a hard time seeing what you mean with this comparison. Since the iPod was first released near the end of 2001 there have been 7 generations of the basic model, without counting any of the spinoffs (micro/nano/video/touch etc) or their respective hardware revisions.

and beyond that, the fidelity of .mp3s and their room for improvement isn't an appropriate comparison to the ever-evolving landscape of game technology (graphics).

Tron 2.0

To answer my own question a page back, it looks like the GameBoy Micro has sold ~2.5 million units LTD in all territories. That's amazingly abysmal.

Next week releases:

10/13 - 10/19/2008

NDS:
10/16 Away: Shuffle Dungeon
10/16 Culdcept DS
10/16 Galileo
10/16 Nazo Nazo & Quiz Ichi Kotae Jikkon Q Mate!
10/16 Yattaman DS 2

Wii:
10/16 Daikaijuu Battle: Ultra Coliseum
10/16 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
10/16 Guitar Hero: Aerosmith on Tour (w/Guitar)
10/16 Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
10/16 Wii Music

X360:
10/16 FaceBreaker
10/16 Guitar Hero: Aerosmith on Tour
10/16 Guitar Hero: Aerosmith on Tour (w/Guitar)

PSP:
10/16 Destroy All Heroes 2
10/16 Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida Or 2

PS3:
10/16 FaceBreaker

PS2:
10/16 Arcana Heart (AQ the Best)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wii Music releases next week? If there's a bigger test for the limits of Nintendo's casual strategy, I can't think of one. Do we know how many they're shipping?

[Nintex]

10/16 Wii Music

It's all over
HD Gaming 2005-2008 RIP

Miyamoto's presentation of Wii Music convinced me that they have another million seller in their hands.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
[Nintex] said:
10/16 Wii Music

It's all over
HD Gaming 2005-2008 RIP

Miyamoto's presentation of Wii Music convinced me that they have another million seller in their hands.

10 Million WW easy

Gonna beat the DS in 10 million sellers at this rate

nli10

[Nintex] said:
10/16 Wii Music

It's all over
HD Gaming 2005-2008 RIP

All the adverts need to say is "It feels like Guitar Hero, but it's easy enough for anyone to play - just like Wii Bowling" and it's there.

Namaikida will beat it first week, but we won't get it, for shame Sony.

But hey, if it has to sell less to be brought here, so be it. I'd okay such a deal.

Wow, 360 above PS3 AGAIN and we're not at page 5 yet... Does nobody care? Or can we safely say that everybody accepts that the PS3 settles at third place?

Also, does anyone have GC vs PS3 numbers?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
nli10 said:
All the adverts need to say is "It feels like Guitar Hero, but it's easy enough for anyone to play - just like Wii Bowling" and it's there.

Would they even know what Guitar Hero is, or are you talking about American audiences (where most moms recognize the brand at this point)?

[Nintex]

Notorious_Roy said:
Wow, 360 above PS3 AGAIN and we're not at page 5 yet... Does nobody care? Or can we safely say that everybody accepts that the PS3 settles at third place?

Also, does anyone have GC vs PS3 numbers?
PS3 comparisons: After 99 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was after 21.7 weeks (July 28, 2000), where PSP was after 53.5 weeks (December 14, 2005), where GCN was after 102.1 weeks (August 24, 2003),

See above, PS3 outsold GameCube so far, but remember that the cube dropped like a rock within it's first year on the market. The PS3 still has a few possible bumps ahead of it like a possible pricedrop, Gran Turismo 5 or Final Fantasy game.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
To be fair, the PS3 is only 3 weeks ahead of the GC. We should make a chart on this:

The PS3 time-distance away the GC, over time. We could see if it is getting closer to the GC or farther away.

Top Bottom