• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 09/29 - 10/05

Jonnyram said:
Why'd you bold GTAIV on the PS3 only?
Because main GTAs sold on the 400k range on the PS2, so it should be big stuff, but in these cases the 360 version gets slaughtered, like with WE2008 or Musou 6. In fact I didn't list them together to bold the versions that are supposed to put bigger numbers. Like Gundam Musou 2 who should be big on both PS2/PS3 since previous one sold each around 300k.

Anyway, bolding was just trying to help distinguish those titles that should do 300k+ from the rest. I can take it down if that's what going to be discussed...

Rockman's been in a slump, especially since Ryuusei failed to take off in Japan (at least to the extent that Rockman.EXE did). Oh well.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Because main GTAs sold on the 400k range on the PS2, so it should be big stuff, but in these cases the 360 version gets slaughtered, like with WE2008 or Musou 6. In fact I didn't list them together to bold the versions that are supposed to put bigger numbers. Like Gundam Musou 2 who should be big on both PS2/PS3 since previous one sold each around 300k on both.

Anyway, bolding was just trying to help distinguish those titles that should do 300k+ from the rest. I can take it down if that's what going to be discussed...

You should before jonnyram gets upset and spills milk.

Jonnyram

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Because main GTAs sold on the 400k range on the PS2, so it should be big stuff, but in these cases the 360 version gets slaughtered, like with WE2008 or Musou 6. In fact I didn't list them together to bold the versions that are supposed to put bigger numbers. Like Gundam Musou 2 who should be big on both PS2/PS3 since previous one sold each around 300k.
Well there's a fundamental mistake there. You are treating a western title with the same formula as Japanese titles. I'm going to have to disagree with you. While I imagine the PS3 version will sell more, I don't think it's going to be a slaughtering by any means.

neojubei said:
You should before jonnyram gets upset and spills milk.
:lol

Jonnyram said:
Well there's a fundamental mistake there. You are treating a western title with the same formula as Japanese titles. I'm going to have to disagree with you. While I imagine the PS3 version will sell more, I don't think it's going to be a slaughtering by any means.
So I went to look up top X360 western titles which had also released on PS3. I knew sometimes games released first on X360, but I didn't remember it being so universal for western titles. Looked at pretty much everything on X360 that I can see reached 20K and thought had a PS3 equivalent, and didn't find one that launched the same day on both platforms.

PS3

PS3

PS3

PS3

PS3

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I went to look up top X360 western titles which had also released on PS3. I knew sometimes games released first on X360, but I didn't remember it being so universal for western titles. Looked at pretty much everything on X360 that I can see reached 20K and thought had a PS3 equivalent, and didn't find one that launched the same day on both platforms.
Yeah, it seems its common from Ubisoft and will continue this holiday with Brothers in Arms and Prince of Persia, although otoh EA seems like it changed (Mirror's Edge, Mercenaries). Dual well-known western releases only remind me of Call of Duty:
PS3+COD4

(DBDS 500k was for Japan and Europe)

cw_sasuke said:
I think Bandai Namco expected it to sell like 500K in Japan alone.
Wow, that's up there. Of 24 DB releases I see that charted since the days of PS2/GBA, I see four that hit 500K: the first four PS2 Budokais.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
(DBDS 500k was for Japan and Europe)
Ahh, that does make it an easier goal to reach. What's the occasion for a combined JP/EU goal, though? A release in the same financial quarter/half/year with NA separate?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Ahh, that does make it an easier goal to reach. What's the occasion for a combined JP/EU goal, though? A release in the same financial quarter/half/year with NA separate?
Atari handles the NA release for DB games.

JoshuaJSlone said:
It must be because its published by Atari/Funimation there. They actually use Atari here too, but I think its just for distribution, the rights should belong to Bandai.

PD: Official word http://www.dbz-videogames.com/
Published by NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe SAS
Distributed by Atari Europe SASU

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JJ: So they're launching first on the 360 but selling slightly more on the PS3? Considering the install base difference, that doesn't say much for the presence of a western (HD) gaming interest in Japan.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
WOW.

... this might well be the lowest week ever. Edit: 3rd lowest week this generation. Lowest week since Wii/PS3 launch.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
creamsugar said:
Famitsu

DS 33,998
PSP 19,873
Wii 21,506
PS3 5,899
PS2 7,527
360 6,690

Holy Hell

Just about the lowest Wii week ever

The lowest PSP week in a long time

Lowest PS3 week ever

schuelma

CitizenCope said:
Wow! They don't want the PS3.
They don't want HD gaming in general.

PS3 is doing worse than ever before, and there honestly isn't that much on the immediate horizon that could remedy things.

Wait for FF13 indeed.

ksamedi

Well, that PS3 number is really low. Its looking like Gamecube 2. But, PS3 has Final Fantasy ofcourse, that will probably bump it quite a bit.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
creamsugar said:
Famitsu

DS 33,998
PSP 19,873
Wii 21,506
PS3 5,899
PS2 7,527
360 6,690

Holy crap, looks like I chose the wrong horse again.

It is confirmed, whatever home console I back up everyone should not buy since I always seem to be lucky enough to choose the loser.

SNES vs. Genesis - I went with Genesis
PS vs. N64 vs. Saturn - I went with Saturn
DC vs. PS2 vs. XBOX vs. GC - I went with Dreamcast, then gamecube, then XBOX
Now - I went with the PS3

iceatcs

Hcoregamer00 said:

It is confirmed, whatever home console I back up everyone should not buy since I always seem to be lucky enough to choose the loser.

That's explain, I thought it was Japanese problem. ;P

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hcoregamer00 said:

Sorry, I :lol'd.

Top30 + Hardware + Madness

NDS: 33.998
WII: 21.506
PSP: 19.873
PS2: 7.527
360: 6.690
PS3: 5.899

1. Macross Ace Frontier (PSP) 97.000 [97.000]
2. Pokémon Platinum (Wii) 80.000 [1.683.000]
3. Dynasty Warriors 6 Special (PS2) 43.000 [158.000]
4. Rhythm Heaven Gold (NDS) 42.000 [890.000]
5. Super Robot Wars Z (PS2) 20.000 [440.000]
6. Wii Fit (Wii) 15.000 [2.638.000]
7. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) 11.000 [1.767.000]
8. Jikkyou Powerful Major League 3 (PS2) 8.600 [27.000]
9. Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (NDS) 7.200 [369.000]
10. Dragon Ball DS (NDS) 7.200 [131.000]

11. Inazuma Eleven (NDS) 6.600 [112.000]
12. World Destruction (NDS) 6.600 [80.000]
13. One Piece Unlimited Cruise Ep.1 (Wii) 6.000 [87.000]
14. Wii Sports (Wii) 5.300 [3.152.000]
16. J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (PS2) 4.700 [166.000]
19. Meccha Taiko Drum Master DS: Adventure in Seven Islands (NDS) 4.400 [363.000]
20. Mario Kart DS (NDS) 4.400 [3.220.000]
21. Kamiyo Gakuen Makorouku Kurunugia (PS2) 4.200 [4.200]
22. Samurai Dou Portable (PSP) 3.500 [34.000]
23. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) 3.300 [2.432.000]
24. New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) 3.200 [5.292.000]
25. Wii Play (Wii) 3.200 [2.489.000]
26. Phantasy Star Portable (PSP) 3.100 [614.000]
27. Animal Crossing: Wild World (NDS) 2.900 [4.743.000]
28. Taiko Drum Master DS (NDS) 2.900 [481.000]
29. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii) 2.900 [21.000]

xx. Kawaii Koinu DS 2 (NDS) 2.400
xx. Will O' Wisp: Easter no Kiseki (PS2) 2.400
xx. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS2) 1.900
xx. Tetsudou Musume DS: Terminal Memory (NDS) 1.800
xx. Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator: 24 - Twenty-Four (PS2) 1.600
xx. Snoopy DS: Snoopy to Nakama Tachi ni Ai ni Ikou! (NDS) 1.500
xx. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Wii) 1.100
xx. Tetsudou Kentei DS (NDS) 970
xx. Guitar Hero: Aerosmith on Tour (PS3) 850
xx. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (NDS) 720

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've never been that into Sales-Age, but Japan really is fascinating at the moment.

I literally can't WAIT for Wii Music next week. No one really has any idea what that is going to do. I have a feeling we've underestimated it's appeal again though.

Next week could have mass-suicides on GAF. Bring it on.

Hunahan

Banned
So are there scores of used copies for the RPGs already floating around?

I find it odd that Tales/IU/etc fail to crack the top 30 while xbox continues to sell at increased rate....

I had assumed that those were the catalyst.

Hunahan said:

I find it odd that Tales/IU/etc fail to crack the top 30 while xbox continues to sell at increased rate....

It's the news that "AVATARS are on the way!!!!!"

Jonnyram

There needs to be some crow served in these threads pretty soon.
360 is no longer running on momentum, that's for sure.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
There needs to be some crow served in these threads pretty soon.
360 is no longer running on momentum, that's for sure.

I'll eat some. I definitely thought things would die back down a week or two after the releases of Tov and IU.

Sure looks like things will be sustained for a while longer.

Sony has to be concerned.

Elios83

Hardware is low all around but the PS3 numbers shouldn't be suprising, they're running on the last 40GB units (I thought it was reported here that major japanese online retailers are out of stock) and they have announced that on October 30 you'll be able to buy a 80GB PS3 + GT5Prologue at the same price, so it's not really smart to buy a PS3 right now. Because of that in the next two weeks we could see even lower numbers.

BTW the next couple of months will be interesting to watch, the PSP 3000 is coming this week, DSi will get its redesign in November, PS3 has the 80GB with a free game and new bundles, Wii has not much on the hardware side but we'll see if they can repeat the Wii Fit magic with Wii Music of Animal Crossing this year, 360 is going back to its usual numbers but they still have an other spike planned with the Last Remnant bundle.

Hunahan said:

Uh yes, of course there are. This is Japan. You can go to Akiba on the evening of a game's release and be somewhat assured of finding a used copy.

schuelma

What is going to be interesting to me personally is how Wii software besides the first party stuff does this holiday. There are a decent amount of 3rd party games coming out in the months ahead, very curious to see which ones bomba.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
schuelma said:
I'll eat some. I definitely thought things would die back down a week or two after the releases of Tov and IU.

Sure looks like things will be sustained for a while longer.

Sony has to be concerned.

Hopefully it means price drops, or else it will be SLAUGHTERED come New Years.

Especially since people will buy tons of PSP's and DS's at the same time frame.

Top Bottom