• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 09/29 - 10/05

Mindlog

PantherLotus said:
To be fair, the PS3 is only 3 weeks ahead of the GC. We should make a chart on this:

The PS3 time-distance away the GC, over time. We could see if it is getting closer to the GC or farther away.

A whole slew of similar charts could be entertaining :]

PantherLotus said:
To be fair, the PS3 is only 3 weeks ahead of the GC. We should make a chart on this:

The PS3 time-distance away the GC, over time. We could see if it is getting closer to the GC or farther away.
Not exactly what you asked for, but Josh's site makes creating these charts easy.

1xz487.png

[Nintex] said:
10/16 Wii Music

It's all over
HD Gaming 2005-2008 RIP

Miyamoto's presentation of Wii Music convinced me that they have another million seller in their hands.
This. Those kids in that Wii Music demo convinced me this game is going to big, and I'll be buying it when it comes out.

AnimeTheme said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

It seems Shinobi is skeptical about the real appeal of Wii Music, and the market responses and preorder situations so far seem to suggest this is not going to have a huge start like the other "Wii series" games.
The Wii X games are less notable for big starts, than for ending up with sales many times the first week's.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
AnimeTheme said:

It seems Shinobi is skeptical about the real appeal of Wii Music, and the market responses and preorder situations so far seem to suggest this is not going to have a huge start like the other "Wii series" games.

Yeah...that's clearly the question(s): Who is the target audience? Do they already own a Wii? What is the price compared to other Wii X games? Assuming as JJS says that it won't have a huge initial impact like its Wii X predecessors, how long can this tail be?

Syntek

PantherLotus said:
Yeah...that's clearly the question(s): Who is the target audience? Do they already own a Wii? What is the price compared to other Wii X games? Assuming as JJS says that it won't have a huge initial impact like its Wii X predecessors, how long can this tail be?

Well, pre-schoolers seem genuinely excited about Wii music, wouldn't surprise me if teachers and parents follow suit and buy into this Wii teaches you music senses thing...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Segata Sanshiro said:
My students won't shut up about it, but I guess we'll see what happens.

Come on, you're Segata Sanshiro, YOU're supposed to shut them up! Or, will you wait until Christmas, disguise as Santa Claus and beat them down as they expect Wii Music under the tree?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Kilrogg said:
Come on, you're Segata Sanshiro, YOU're supposed to shut them up! Or, will you wait until Christmas, disguise as Santa Claus and beat them down as they expect Wii Music under the tree?

:lol

The mental image of Segata popping out of the Christmas sack is hilarious!

Johann

I'd find a chestburster emerging from beneath the Christmas Tree more comforting.

Anyway, any ideas on how Away: Shuffle Dungeon will perform? Sent to die?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Microsoft Corp’s Japanese unit aims to achieve its domestic sales target of one million units for the Xbox 360 video game console as quickly as possible, a senior official said on Friday. Microsoft Co, the U.S. software giant’s unit, hopes to boost sales by leveraging new games and boosting sales promotion efforts, Takashi Sensui, executive officer and chief of the home and entertainment division of the Tokyo-based firm, said.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/...oft-targets-1-million-xbox-360-sales-in-japan

Interesting piece about MS's intentions with the 360. With around 300k units and probably 3 years before 360's successor comes out, it would need to sell 1.9k units for 156 weeks to reach that mark. I think it can probably do that, but not sure about the whole "as quickly as possible" bit.

Good luck with that, Sensui.

AnimeTheme said:

Expanding this discussion a bit:
Wii Sports had 257pt at comgnet, debuted with 177k sales
Wii Fit had 111pt, debuted with 254k sales
Wii Music isn't in the top20 as of yesterday, where #20 was at 41pt

Namaikida wasn't in the top20 as of its release, debuted with 29k sales
Namaikida 2 is #13 as of yesterday with 75pt

Gundam 00 DS had 104pt, debuted with 48k
Gundam 00 PS2 is #6 as of yesterday with 105pt

tino

Banned
Japanese either hate next-gen or hate big comsoles. There is no way around it, you have to subscript to either one of the crazy theories. I am leaning the later.

Ronok

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Expanding this discussion a bit:
Wii Sports had 257pt at comgnet, debuted with 177k sales
Wii Fit had 111pt, debuted with 254k sales
Wii Music isn't in the top20 as of yesterday, where #20 was at 41pt

Namaikida wasn't in the top20 as of its release, debuted with 29k sales
Namaikida 2 is #13 as of yesterday with 75pt

Gundam 00 DS had 104pt, debuted with 48k
Gundam 00 PS2 is #6 as of yesterday with 105pt

What you are saying makes the comgnet rankings seem irrelevent in terms of sales estimation. :-/

Ronok said:
What you are saying makes the comgnet rankings seem irrelevent in terms of sales estimation. :-/
Its not for sales estimation but for preorder situation, Wii Music isn't pre-ordered anywhere as much as the other Wii X games. Namaikida 2 on the other hand shows a returning fanbase that the first one didn't have and thus should do better in the first week. Gundam shows relatively same interest in both games. Its not meant to compare points to sales but points between games closely related (can't compare points overall either).

apujanata

Jonnyram said:
comgnet is irrelevant in all situations. I don't think anyone tries to make any real assumptions based on them.
Remember Square2005 ? :)

I am thinking about buying Wii Music, especially since :
- I like the Wii Music demo with Miyamoto and kindergarten children.
- I have several sons, and the middle one is only 4 years old (and like musical things)
- I am musically challenged (I couldn't play other music game, like Guitar Hero, Rock Band), but I like music, so I think I am the target market for this game.
Any info about Wii Music price ?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
tino said:
Japanese either hate next-gen or hate big comsoles. There is no way around it, you have to subscript to either one of the crazy theories. I am leaning the later.

The third theory, of course, is the most plausible. I'll let you guess, but here's a hint: it has something to do with money.

dolemite

PantherLotus said:
The third theory, of course, is the most plausible. I'll let you guess, but here's a hint: it has something to do with money.
So how much more expensive is the 360 compared to the Wii?

Jonnyram said:
comgnet is irrelevant in all situations. I don't think anyone tries to make any real assumptions based on them.
Its also irrelevant for anecdotal evidence now? I wonder how different do you see guys see sinobi commenting on Wii Music preorders and comgnet points.

Johann

dolemite said:
So how much more expensive is the 360 compared to the Wii?

It looks like the Arcade pack is about 5000 yen less than the Wii's 25000. The Premium is roughly 30000 and the Elite is at just shy of 40000.

swerve

tino said:

I'd suggest Japanese gamers haven't been offered a reason for the 'next-gen' systems to exist. Let me explain my thinking...

360 and PS3 are being bought in significant numbers *only* when there is a game with enough pull to make a group of people shell out big money just for one experience (like the N64). They don't have an identity on their own yet.

Wii has a clear identity, and is being bought consistently, regardless of releases, because it represents something - family fun, reliable nintendo brands, new control schemes, quirkiness.

So I'd argue that it has nothing to do with 'next-gen', and everything to do with purpose and identity. See PSP for an example of how, when something gets a purpose (Monster Hunting with your friends) and the right push, it takes off big.

Johann said:
It looks like the Arcade pack is about 5000 yen less than the Wii's 25000. The Premium is roughly 30000 and the Elite is at just shy of 40000.
I think it's safe to say the price isn't the problem here. Nor the games selection. It's gotta be the mindshare of the 360. It's just nonexistent over there.

NeonZ

I've been guessing for a long time that Wiimusic is a misfire. "Kids", the group I perceive as the main target audience of Wiimusic, aren't any kind of "expanded" market. There's no way it'll perform as well as the other Wii titles, even if it doesn't bomb.

Laguna

Banned
PantherLotus said:
is that a trick question?
He just made an rethoric question and proved you wrong ;) It´s also the same in Europe Arcade costs 179€, Premium about 229€ (not so sure about this one) and 299€ for Elite and still it sells far less than Wii (249€). So the argument that the price is the main cause is wrong.

Now that TGS is over, upcoming lineup through Christmas, not the entire lineup but just well known stuff. Taken from gamefaqs, blame them for errors and me from missing other titles :p

Code:
[U]10/30[/U]
NDS Cid to Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure no Meikyuu +
NDS Dr. Slump & Arale-Chan
(11/1) NDS Aruite Wakaru: Seikatsu Rhythm DS
(11/1) NDS Avalon Code
(11/1) NDS Valkyrie Profile: Toga o Seoumono
PS2 Thunder Force VI
WII Bokujou Monogatari  (Harvest Moon): Waku Waku Animal March
PS3 Grand Theft Auto IV
PS3 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III
PS3 LittleBigPlanet
PS3 SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Confrontation 
360 Grand Theft Auto IV
360 Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway

[U]11/6[/U]
NDS Hoshi no Kirby: Ultra Super Deluxe
NDS Nostalgeo no Kaze

[U]11/13[/U]
NDS Nishimura Kyotaro Suspense 2 Shin Tantei Series: Kanazawa - Hakodate - Gokkan no Kyoukoku - Fukushuu no Kage
NDS Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS 2 - Sabaku no Majou
NDS Ryuusei no RockMan 3: Black Ace
NDS Ryuusei no RockMan 3: Red Joker
WII Family Ski: World Ski & Snowboard
PS3 Resistance 2
PS3 Samurai Dou 3
PS3 Derby Time Online

[U]11/20[/U]
NDS Chrono Trigger
NDS Saka-Tsuku DS: Touch and Direct
PSP Clank & Ratchet: Maru Hi Mission * Ignition
PSP Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam
PSP Prinny: Ore ga Shujinkou de Iinsuka?
WII Machi e Ikouyo: Doubutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing)
PS3 MotorStorm 2
PS3 Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
360 Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
360 The Last Remnant

[U]11/27[/U]
NDS Higurashi no Nakukoru ni Kizuna: Dai-Ni-Kan - Sou
NDS Layton Kyouju to Saigo no Jikan Ryokou
NDS Tamagotchi Kira Kira Omisecchi
PSP Higurashi Daybreak Portable
PSP Kenka Banchou 3: Zenkoku Seiha
PSP Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin
PSP Patapon 2: Don-Chaka
PSP Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 3
WII Kotoba no Puzzle: Mojipittan Wii Deluxe
WII Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX3
WII Rune Factory Frontier
PS3 Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway
PS3 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009
360 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009

[U]12/4[/U]
NDS Blazer Drive
NDS Chou!! Nep League DS
NDS Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series DS Vol. 3: Shinseiki Evangelion - Yakusoku no Toki
NDS Sekai no Gohan Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi
NDS Hajime no Ippo The Fighting! DS
NDS Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS: Mafia Daishuugou Bongole Festival
PS2 Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World
PS2 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 Kanzenban
PSP LocoRoco 2
WII 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de
WII Kaze no Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
PS3 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 Kanzenban
PS3 Saints Row 2
360 Fallout 3
360 Saints Row 2

[U]12/11[/U]
NDS Chocobo to Mahou no Ehon: Majo to Shoujo to 5-Jin no Yuusha
WII Samba de Amigo
WII Taiko no Tatsujin Wii
WII Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes
WII Wii De Asobu Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
WII Argos no Senshi: Muscle Impact (Rygar: The Battle of Argus)
PS3 Mirror's Edge
360 Banjo to Kazooie no Daibouken: Garage Daisakusen
360 Mirror's Edge

[U]12/18[/U]
NDS Bokujou Monogatari (Harvest Moon): Youkoso Kaze no Bazaar e
NDS Gensou Suikoden Tierkreis
NDS Momotarou Dentetsu: 20-Shuunen
NDS Power Pro-Kun Pocket 11
NDS Ragnarok Online DS
NDS Tales of Hearts
PS2 Fate/Unlimited Codes
PS2 Gundam Musou 2
PS2 Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series Vol. 13: Shinseiki Evangelion - Yakusoku no Toki
PSP Dissidia: Final Fantasy
WII Bleach: Versus Crusade
WII Let's Tap
PS3 Gundam Musou 2
360 Fable II
360 Gundam Musou 2
360 Prince of Persia

[U]12/25[/U]
NDS Phantasy Star Zero
WII Wii De Asobu Pikmin
WII BioHazard
PS3 Shirokishi Monogatari (White Knight Chronicles)
PS3 BioShock
360 DoDonPachi Daioujou Black Label Extra

Top Bottom