• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge preview, screens and music news

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
mirrors-edge-20081003022943971_640w.jpg

i actually thought that was art in the egm issue. very nice. absolutely cant wait for this, everything about it is super appealing to me. my most anticipated game of the year.

Pyroteknikz said:
Someone on 2ch wasn't happy with how Faith looked, so they changed her for the better(IMO).

Crap like this (and that Alyx edit I saw a time ago) just prove why gaming needs characters like Faith and Alyx in the first place. Every woman rendered into a videogame shouldn't have to be some lonely nerd Lara Croft fantasy.

raYne

This is my biggest pleasant surprise this year. Love the concept, the look, the style, everything.

Can't wait to get my hands on it. Thankfully, the demo this month will help alleviate the pain of waiting. :D

Jeez, the more I see of this game and Saints Row 2, the less likely I am to push them to '09.

I need this day one, looks so gorgeous.

Raistlin

Pyroteknikz said:
Someone on 2ch wasn't happy with how Faith looked, so they changed her for the better(IMO).
goodfaith-2.jpg

:\

So semi-indicative of an actual asian woman changed to anime representation of an asian woman is for the better?

lostxii

Can't wait for Mirror's Edge, already pre-ordered it.

op_ivy said:
mirrors-edge-20081003022943971_640w.jpg

i actually thought that was art in the egm issue. very nice. absolutely cant wait for this, everything about it is super appealing to me. my most anticipated game of the year.

Me too, in fact, it still kind of looks like art.

Threi said:
That looks so much worse.

Tell whoever did that to grow up please.

It's as if Mr 2ch photoshopper was channelling babyfaced/big boobied model, Hoshino Aki or something.

The game is looking really nice though. Demo.. gimme now.

Ashhong

just listened to the theme song, and wow is it good. has to be one of my favorite theme songs from any video game. i only wish that it wasnt called "still alive", only because people will be bitching about portal or something.

Onix said:
:\

So semi-indicative of an actual asian woman changed to anime representation of an asian woman is for the better?

anime representation? i dont know about you but there are plenty of asian women with big eyes like that. if anything the makeup on the original eyes only make her fit the stereotype even more. only thing i dont like about the eyes is that it makes her look scared instead of fierce, at least in that picture.

ampere

The demo is really going to determine whether or not I buy this game. I'm almost sold, just want to make sure the game plays smoothly.

Dartastic

Rez>You said:
Quoted so people on page 2 can point and laugh.

This post is very worthy of pointing/laughing at. I can't wait until I can see the fastest speed runs of this game; they're really going to be something to marvel at.

anaron

Thanks for all the news SolidSnake! Looking forward to this even more.:D

Can't wait for the demo!

Please live up to the hype! :p

dk_

Looking good, looking good.

Want a demo, like now.

The mockup makes the character less asian-looking. Which is either good or bad, your taste decides. I like it better.

Dartastic

Dark Octave said:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/916/916177/mirrors-edge-20081003022943971_640w.jpg[img]

$20 says she was originally intended to be the main character.[/QUOTE]

$20 says you're wrong. ;)

big_z

goodfaith-2.jpg

she went from korean to japanese with a hint of anime thrown in.... im surprised her clothes didnt get reduced as well.

Dartastic said:
$20 says you're wrong. ;)
How you figure? You know the main character wasn't originally intended to look the way she does. It was said in the last issue of EGM that Faith was a "happy accident" that started out as a multiplayer character. Therefore, we all know how the original main character was intended to look, and I can assure you that Faith's wasn't it.

I bet you that if this blond character wasn't intended as the main character, it was a character that looked similar to her. That's just the way it works, man.

big_z said:
goodfaith-2.jpg

she went from korean to japanese with a hint of anime thrown in.... im surprised her clothes didnt get reduced as well.
Ok that is completely stupid on multiple levels, right there. Why did they have to do that?

Edit: Ok I see, it's just a fan touch up. For a second I thought it was the real Japanese version.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Always-honest said:
amazing art direction. looks like they nailed the gameplay and animation in first person.. wow.

there is a danger for repetative gameplay however.
I played this at PAX. The game kind of feels like a racer, so you can get a lot of replay value just from trying to get the perfect run (the ghost mode will capitalize on this). The game flows well and it conveys a sense of urgency and direction, which is consistent with the spirit of Parkour. And more importantly, it accomplishes this without the need for immersion breaking devices such as timers or arrows.

Overall, it makes Assassin's Creed feel slow and clumsy in comparison and I think it will even give the Prince a run for his money.

dk_

JavaMava said:
Alright, time to go media black out. PC is this year right?
Who knows...

Wiki says:

Release date(s) PS3 & Xbox 360

NA November 11 2008[3]
EU November 14 2008[4]
JP December 11 2008[5]
Microsoft Windows
Late Winter 2008[3]
No specific date. Late winter 08 doesn't sound that assuring.

SapientWolf said:
I played this at PAX. The game kind of feels like a racer, so you can get a lot of replay value just from trying to get the perfect run (the ghost mode will capitalize on this). The game flows well and it conveys a sense of urgency and direction, which is consistent with the spirit of Parkour. And more importantly, it accomplishes this without the need for immersion breaking devices such as timers or arrows.

Overall, it makes Assassin's Creed feel slow and clumsy in comparison and I think it will even give the Prince a run for his money.

yeah, it will be great, but actually i have the same sentiment with racers. i never finish those games, though i play them to bits at first.
anyway, so far it looks like a must buy for me.

JavaMava said:
Alright, time to go media black out. PC is this year right?
We don't know and it's keeping me up at night, twisting and turning, waking up drenched in sweat while yelling "November please!".

Dark Octave said:
Ok that is completely stupid on multiple levels, right there. Why did they have to do that?

Edit: Ok I see, it's just a fan touch up. For a second I thought it was the real Japanese version.

Unfortunately, when the industry is finally leaning towards a better conceived character (still like a clichè superhero kind of characterization, but at least smaller breasts and a more mature face), the "fans" are there, screaming for
1- bigger tits
2- innocent eyes
3- i'll-suck-your-socks-off kind of lips.
This is really ridiculous.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Continuing their exploration of how music and videogames connect EA have announced that they will release a remix album in conjunction with the game Mirror's Edge.

The album, which features the game's title track, "Still Alive", as performed by Swedish rock/pop star Lisa Miskovsky, will also contain remixes by the likes of Benny Benassi, Paul van Dyk, Junkie XL, Teddybears, and Armand Van Helden.

The album will be available for digital download purcahse on November 11th, tying into the launch of the game.

Sounds very interesting! Still a bit unsure of how I'll like the actual game, I find platforming in a FPS environment to be extremely tricky and imprecise, so this'll be a rental.

EA already develop a mobile version of Mirror's Edge - but they wait with the announcement, because they want to see how console version sells next month.

Holyyyyy hell DICE thank you for a game that looks so insanely original and fun I cannot wait to get my hands on the controller.

Stocka

TGS impressions (360)
Was disappointed somewhat, it didn't play as smooth or swiftly as the trailers had made it out to be. I didn't like the lack of a running option, gave me no sense of pace and the build up to the jumps weren't too thrilling. Furthermore I found jumping using the left bumper to be unsatisfying, felt unnatural. The platforming aspects were fairly good though, just didn't blow me away. I fear the gameplay will be limited even if in different environments. I'm sure that I would enjoy the game a whole lot more given more time to adapt to the controls so i'm not entirely negative.

Guled

Stocka said:
TGS impressions (360)
Was disappointed somewhat, it didn't play as smooth or swiftly as the trailers had made it out to be. I didn't like the lack of a running option, gave me no sense of pace and the build up to the jumps weren't too thrilling. Furthermore I found jumping using the left bumper to be unsatisfying, felt unnatural. The platforming aspects were fairly good though, just didn't blow me away. I fear the gameplay will be limited even if in different environments. I'm sure that I would enjoy the game a whole lot more given more time to adapt to the controls so i'm not entirely negative.
well if it was the first time playing the game, don't expect it to be smooth. When you get the hang of the game that's when it really starts coming together. Also, there is no running option since your always running. The more you go without messing up, the more momentum you get which makes you run faster. I don't know about the 360 version, but the controls were fine when I played the ps3 version. This is the type of game that gets better as you start getting better at it

Top Bottom