• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Premium Gets 2-Hour Baldur’s Gate 3 Trial and a 1-Hour Gollum Trial

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Two hours should enough time for you to realize how great Baldurs Gate 3 is.

One hour should be more than enough time for you to realize how shit Gollum is.

I think based on what we know and as you mentioned that this isn't accurately reported.

Gaming journalism isn't what it should be.

It isn't, but I do think the general idea that it's a new condition for selling on the PS store seems likely. Based on the pattern and way the trials are being added. (The way they get quietly drip fed throughout the month instead of released alongside the monthly games).

I've been keeping an eye on certain games throughout the year (like Hogwarts Legacy) to see if they got added, and it seems like it might be 4 months after release, if there's no free demo or beta available. So if the pattern holds Alan Wake 2 for example would get one before the start of March next year.

Kerotan

Nice trial. Finally can decide if I like BG3 gameplay style or not before pulling the trigger.
If you give Gollum a try you won't want to play BG3 anymore. In fact you'll not want to game ever again and will sell your machine.

No shot Microsoft pays for the GOTY to go on gamepass. If they do, they are idiots. The game is gonna sell.
MS are so desperate for relevance right now they probably will. Plus they have cash to burn from their successful endeavours outside of gaming.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If you give Gollum a try you won't want to play BG3 anymore. In fact you'll not want to game ever again and will sell your machine.

MS are so desperate for relevance right now they probably will. Plus they have cash to burn from their successful endeavours outside of gaming.
The only way I see Microsoft doing this is if they are bleeding subscribers. It would provide a decent boost, but honestly it needed to be done for PC gamepass. That why I don't think they'll do it. It's too late.

poodaddy

Finally the game of the year gets it's deserved trial so everyone can see the light.

Shame it's only an hour though.

Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
yeah no offense but FUCK any +sub on playstation bro. i had to sub to use online what is the biggest fucking bullshit because i have pc. but charging me 56 euros on a fake "discount" for my console when i have a gaming pc is a fucking joke. also stik all those "free games in your ass" give me a 10 dollar a year no extra shit online plan

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
If you're doing a trial of a game, do not worry about creating a perfect character; just spend five minutes getting it done and get into the actual game.
That's what I'll be doing.

I'm really glad they've done this, because this is a game that has me intrigued (due to the praise), but is definitely not my typical cup of tea. Two hours is plenty enough for me to determine if it's worth my money, especially now that there's a physical edition coming out (though I'll probably get the full game, if I get it, on the Series X, depending on performance).

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There are plenty of free demos on PlayStation.
Yea I assumed so. I didn't wanna say definitely because I don't have a PS5 yet (waiting for the Pro) and my PS4 collects dust...as does my Xbox Series X. I mainly play PC along with my Switch.

Well, they're both video games. So there's that.

Larian aren't stupid enough to cut the legs out from B2P sales of one of the year's best games, just for a Microsoft check. Especially after the hell the Series S has been proving for them to get the game running.

Maybe just maybe, Sony are doing their own things irrespective of whatever Microsoft is doing. Just a thought ;)

Impossible. I promise you that MS returned with hundred million dollar deal(as part of the make good on a previous embarrassing 5 milly offer) one that exceeds Larian’s year 1 sales expectations, which is provable based on actual Xbox user purchasing behavior. It also makes up for the Starfield miss (see…we give the Xbox user the GOTY RPG no matter what happens, Xbox in stores now)

There is something going on beyond a post launch crunch to hit Xbox this year.

skit_data

Impossible. I promise you that MS returned with hundred million dollar deal(as part of the make good on a previous embarrassing 5 milly offer) one that exceeds Larian’s year 1 sales expectations, which is provable based on actual Xbox user purchasing behavior. It also makes up for the Starfield miss (see…we give the Xbox user the GOTY RPG no matter what happens, Xbox in stores now)

100 million dollar deal?
Sounds a bit low, going by their estimations of how much they were willing to pay for other games. BG3 is a much bigger title too.
If Larian would take such a low offer they would be stupid tbh

If you're doing a trial of a game, do not worry about creating a perfect character; just spend five minutes getting it done and get into the actual game.
That's what I'll be doing.

I'm really glad they've done this, because this is a game that has me intrigued (due to the praise), but is definitely not my typical cup of tea. Two hours is plenty enough for me to determine if it's worth my money, especially now that there's a physical edition coming out (though I'll probably get the full game, if I get it, on the Series X, depending on performance).

That’s word for word my situation and plan too. I’m stoked about the 2-hour trial.

Fredrik

Nice! Not planning to play BG3 on console but trying a game for myself is always the best way to know if it’s my type of game or not.

No shot Microsoft pays for the GOTY to go on gamepass. If they do, they are idiots. The game is gonna sell.

Even if they did offer, I don't know if Larian would want to signal to customers of future games that they're willing to put them on a subscription service just 3 months after initial full release. Not counting Early Access, which would be a different thing.

Could see an Early Access model working with a sub service for games in-development depending on the tier, though. But that's just for games in general, not specific to Larian.

and People got mad when I said Gamepass was better that PS Plus

How would this reinforce that take?

Again, it's not even so much about BG3 in Game Pass so much as the signal that would give to potential customers of future Larian titles. The game just had its full release on PC only three months ago, on PS5 only a month ago. People new to the studio's games would see BG3 immediately going into Game Pass as a sign that, well, they can just wait a few months for future games to go in sub services and not bother buying them at launch. And I think that would have an effect (to some degree) on customers on other platforms, not just Xbox.

Meanwhile it also creates problems for Microsoft, since it just further trains their customers to not buy games at launch and wait for them in the service instead. This, when they want to shift to pushing B2P sales, and a reason why they immediately said "no" to COD in Game Pass this year even though that acquisition is completed. They probably know better than anyone how erosive the subscription model is on B2P sales, since they have faced the effects of it more than probably almost any other publisher in the industry.

Cashon

Banned
Even if they did offer, I don't know if Larian would want to signal to customers of future games that they're willing to put them on a subscription service just 3 months after initial full release. Not counting Early Access, which would be a different thing.

Could see an Early Access model working with a sub service for games in-development depending on the tier, though. But that's just for games in general, not specific to Larian.

How would this reinforce that take?

Again, it's not even so much about BG3 in Game Pass so much as the signal that would give to potential customers of future Larian titles. The game just had its full release on PC only three months ago, on PS5 only a month ago. People new to the studio's games would see BG3 immediately going into Game Pass as a sign that, well, they can just wait a few months for future games to go in sub services and not bother buying them at launch. And I think that would have an effect (to some degree) on customers on other platforms, not just Xbox.

Meanwhile it also creates problems for Microsoft, since it just further trains their customers to not buy games at launch and wait for them in the service instead. This, when they want to shift to pushing B2P sales, and a reason why they immediately said "no" to COD in Game Pass this year even though that acquisition is completed. They probably know better than anyone how erosive the subscription model is on B2P sales, since they have faced the effects of it more than probably almost any other publisher in the industry.
Have you kept up with Game Pass releases? Lots of games have been Day 1 on Game Pass, if not just within the same year.

[Sigma]

I would download it but the file is way too large for my connection and time. Unless the requirement to start is pretty low(I have to delete some games to even check and im unwilling). I'll get the physical copy regardless.

Last edited:

Jboemios

Banned
Have you kept up with Game Pass releases? Lots of games have been Day 1 on Game Pass, if not just within the same year.
It does not matter what MS release in Gamepass. They could release Sega and Capcom games Day 1 in Gamepass and they will continue to say that Gamepass is not better thant PS Plus

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I remember when game demos for PS Premium were announced and how it was the best idea imaginable and how it'd revolutionize storefront marketing and encourage people to buy more games, etc.

lol.
I think it could be, if they ever followed through with it. Being able to try all games is obviously awesome.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ha that Gollum trial is there just to help you not spend any money on it.

BG3 two hour trial? The games over 100GB and you'll barely have made it out of the character creator in that time.

Does the download time count for your "2 hours" trial?

Cashon

Banned
No, I'm just stating that it's a 100GB download for 2 hours worth of play. For the vast majority, it's going to take a lot longer than 2 hours just to bloody download it :D
You can set it to start downloading from anywhere if you have the phone app connected to your console. That's what I did from work today, so it'll be ready when I get home.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
the award for the most wasted potential from a beloved franchise

Maybe it has to suck this much before better stuff comes out

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Remember when demos and trials were free and not locked down to a membership tier or subscription service. Creating value from things that used to be free and actually help developers sell their games. Now it's a weapon in the subscription service wars. Even the Amiga ans ST had playable level demos. Aren't they still free on the Nintendo e-shop ?

Gollum is just wow, the fact this is considered something of value for the customer, it's more like a punishment.

Zuzu

Well they got me to resubscribe…sigh. It’s nice to be able try Baldur’s Gate before buying but these trials should be free.

Top Bottom