• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur’s Gate 3 will let you reroll your class with new specs - Lady Dimitrescu actor Maggie Robertson is in Baldur's Gate 3

Draugoth

Gold Member
the-making-of-an-icon-maggie-robertson-on-becoming-lady-dimitrescu-1644505845182.jpg

Maggie Robertson, the actor who played the iconic Lady Dimitrescu in Resident Evil Village, is set to play another memorable villain, this time in Baldur's Gate 3.

Larian confirmed this to me at an event I went to this week, where I played the launch version of the game.

Orin the Red, as the character is known, is a magical, shape-shifting menace. A sexy but sadistic presence who will appear time and time again through the game - towards the latter parts of it - to test your resolve.

Orin works for one of the higher powers you're rallying against in the game, and she stands out visually for her nearly entirely white eyes, blazing red and revealing bodysuit, and skin you can see smokey patterns shifting around on - this is a really nice effect. She's ruthless and will try to use her shape-shifting powers to catch you off guard and trick you into making terrible decisions.

With 12 classes and 46 subclasses, Baldur’s Gate 3 is set to be all about player choice. Each class comes with around three subclasses on average, although this does not apply across the board with some having a different amount (like the wizard, with its massive variety of eight). There are over 600 spells and actions available, meaning the choice doesn’t stop during character creation.

“It’s not just superficial choices,” as the devs stated, with each decision you make during character creation having an impact on your gameplay. When you make a choice about your class, race, or pronouns, it won’t just affect combat but also your dialogue.

You can mix and match your character to allow for multi-classing, which has just been confirmed along with re-specs. That’s right, you won’t need to restart Baldur’s Gate 3 entirely if you are unhappy with how you’ve leveled. Instead, you will be able to completely re-spec your character for the first time in Baldur’s Gate history.

The devs stated:

We wanted players to avoid having to restart the whole game,” mentioning a “character” you can go to so as to reset your class and reinvest your levels. This new ability is meant to help players “experiment with multi-classing,” where you can explore various combinations. Some of these may work better than others, while some may completely clash, so re-specs allow for you to be a bit more free while you explore.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I've never been a fan of respec mechanics that are a bit too easy and convenient to use, outside of online gaming.

But hey, what can I do about it.

Last edited:
I like respeccing, especially when we are talking about games that are as long as this one, one mistake and you have to restart the game when you're 20-30 hrs in would be too punishing. Plus they know anyone that wants it would just get the mod that allowed it, might as well just give people the convenience.

Neilg

Great move. developers finally realizing that locking you into a class that you know nothing about right at the start of a 100 hour game actually sucks ass and isn't very fun.

That was always the worst part of big RPG's for me - that 'did I pick right?' anxiety during the first 20 hours where I don't know if I could be having a more fun time with some other unknown build. DOS2 I ended up just googling to find the unanimous 'best' build, which sort of defeats the point of an rpg of that scale.

I was planning to wait for the dust to settle on this but I think i'm going to clear my schedule and go all in day 1.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm kind of torn on this one,

Old me (more stubborn, hardcore guy) - Ew, free respec is so cheap, game is casual nonsense.

Current me (dad, run a busy business, limited free time) - YUSS KINGS, let's respec up a storm and where is that Bear, I'm feeling raunchy xx

Top Bottom