• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Premium Gets 2-Hour Baldur’s Gate 3 Trial and a 1-Hour Gollum Trial

Draugoth

Gold Member
20231120122808-1700485571887.jpg

Two new time-limited trials are on offer to PlayStation Plus Premium subscribers, although you may be interested in one more than the other.

Meanwhile, The Lord of the Rings: Gollum now has a one-hour trial, exclusive to PS Plus Premium members. This one’s a bit of a head-scratcher. Gollum was panned upon its launch, and is considered one of 2023’s most disappointing games.

A contrasting due of trials, then, although it’s worth noting you won’t get much done with just two hours of Baldur’s Gate 3. If the character creator alone doesn’t rine your trial time, then you’ll barely make it out of the prologue. Still, as a sip of perhaps the greatest RPG of recent times, the trial will no-doubt whet players’ appetite for more.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
They should give you 4 hours for BG3. 2 hours isn't even enough to know WTF you're supposed to do and people unfamiliar with the genre will just rush through things and not understand what's going on. 4 hours gives enough time to create a nice character and follow the story and get immersed just enough to want more.

Gamerguy84

Well they did say premium members get game trials. I don't personally understand that because it's just a sales tactic.

I look at YT to see how a game controls and looks to decide if I want it.

Yes I know lots of companies do these game trials they just aren't appealing to me. Don't really understand them as a perk.

So did Sony pay Daedalic for this? Or did Daedalic pay Sony? Or is this part of some weird tax write-off accounting maneuver that’s beyond my comprehension?

We don't have enough visibility to tell, but it's great that you're thinking about this from a lot of different angles.

It's also possible that no one paid anyone here.

My guess is that both publishers are disappointed with their sales on the platform and are trying to last-ditch up the sales before the holidays.

Baldur's Gate probably sold significantly better on PC than PS5 even relative to other games.

We don't have enough visibility to tell, but it's great that you're thinking about this from a lot of different angles.

It's also possible that no one paid anyone here.

My guess is that both publishers are disappointed with their sales on the platform and are trying to last-ditch up the sales before the holidays.

Baldur's Gate probably sold significantly better on PC than PS5 even relative to other games.
Or it's something like this:

https://www.polygon.com/23042769/playstation-plus-premium-free-trial-demo-game-development

(I say "like" because I don't think the exact details are correct.)

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, considering BG3 length they could have been a bit more generous for the demo. 2hr isn’t nearly enough to get any sort of a grasp of the game. Especially if you are unfamiliar with the genre.

Wonder what these two games have in common?

Well, they're both video games. So there's that.

I still have doubts, but now I’m thinking BG3 will be announced to be on Gamepass at the game awards.

This is Sony reacting so they aren’t entirely missing the boat.

Larian aren't stupid enough to cut the legs out from B2P sales of one of the year's best games, just for a Microsoft check. Especially after the hell the Series S has been proving for them to get the game running.

Maybe just maybe, Sony are doing their own things irrespective of whatever Microsoft is doing. Just a thought ;)

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well, they're both video games. So there's that.

Larian aren't stupid enough to cut the legs out from B2P sales of one of the year's best games, just for a Microsoft check. Especially after the hell the Series S has been proving for them to get the game running.

Maybe just maybe, Sony are doing their own things irrespective of whatever Microsoft is doing. Just a thought ;)
No shot Microsoft pays for the GOTY to go on gamepass. If they do, they are idiots. The game is gonna sell.

Top Bottom