• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Smash Bros your GOTY so far?

Comet

Not with the bad online and shoddy circle pad controls. The Wii U version has the potential to be my GOTY though if it can fix the online latency issues

Guesong

3DS version? Not a chance.

I'm a big Smash fan, but there is simply not enough content on it compared to Brawl, IMHO.

So we'll see with the WiiU version. Meanwhile, DK:TF is still king.

Jezan

All other Smash games were my GOTY, and even though 4 is full of fanservice and I'm sure it will be great, Bayonetta 2 exist and it is also a 2014. So, no, I'm sorry Smash, but just by playing Bayonetta's demo I know it will be my GOTY.

Also I'm talking only about the Wii U version, the 3ds is not good,IMO.

The only way for Smash to be goty is if Bayonetta joins the battle.

Haunted

Just want to do a little temperature check here as we're getting into "GOTY season", as Smash Bros seems like the frontrunner for GAF GOTY at present.

Obviously, only post here if you've actually played it.
False premise and contradicting yourself. Pretty good, OP.

Here's a prediction to think about: nevermind the overall goty category, smash will have a hard time making top 3 in the WiiU goty category.

RomanceDawn

Yup! Either this or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

I am eating this game up! And now that online works I don't have much to complain about!

Jamix012

So far it's definitely in my top 3, possibly number 1 but it's hard to say. The Wii U version will probably top it and there are other games coming out that look like they'll be better than it too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is anyone enjoying it in single player? I've been tempted to pick it up but I have no one to play multiplayer with and don't plan to do so. Is there anything to do in the game for one player?

Was hooked for the first weekend exploring the challenge wall and trying out the unique modes for minor awards, getting constant unlocks.

Then a few hours later there was nothing left to earn aside from the trophies and custom parts that are tied to a brutal RNG drop rate, and are seemingly pointless given the limited online options and playable quality. The final challenge wall devolved into a brutal grind that garners a less than satisfying journey and a wearying conclusive end. The stages are mostly disappointing as well, with only a tiny handful of fantastic newcomers amidst a sea of irritating design decisions on most others.

36 hours after launch I have not booted the game back up. I anticipate the Wii U version to improve in the online realm, but fear the solo experience will be as brusque and pointless as the 3DS game. Game plays much better than Brawl, but lacks the staying power for solo play.

It did finally motivate me to start playing Fire Emblem 3DS though, which has been phenomenal and a great replacement experience.

kunonabi

Not even close. far too much bullshit involved with unlocking stuff. I don't mind growing through hoops for trophies and other pointless stuff but i shouldn't be forced to grind nearly this long for custom moves and mii items. The core game hasn't been been improved enough to warrant the crown either. It's great fun but goty is out each now and Bayonetta will surely destroy any chance smash had in a few weeks.

jblank83

I dunno. I can't say yes yet, but it's really good.

So far my list looks something like this...

Layton v Phoenix
Wasteland 2
Smash
Hearthstone

Bayonetta 2 might make its way in there. We'll have to wait and see. Special mentions to Crypt of the Necrodancer and Reprisal Universe.

Also, most overhyped so far: Shadow of Mordor. Fun, well made game but not the omgamazing experience I was told it was.

zruben

Banned
it should be at least the handheld GOTY.
because the real GOTY would be the WiiU version.

However, GOTY awards have been silly since 2011, when gaming magazines started to sell them.

Ludovico

Looks like DS2 will be making my list simply because I've played so few titles (extensively) this year.
Smash 3ds has excellent aspirations, bit it's just too hindered by its hardware. My hands can only take so much, my favorite Event Matches are missing, screen size does make things confusing, and the fact that it's going to be a complete afterthought once WiiU version hits. Poor Sakurai.

As of right now, I'd have to say:
Mario Kart
DK TF
Bravely Default

Divinity OS
Wasteland 2
Dark Souls 2
Don't Starve
TiTS
Danganronpa

SMgamer83

It's close, if not the winner. Things like Shovel Knight come close, but Wii U version will likely surpass.

For all the people saying "No" or "Clearly not"...it'd be nice if you listed what was :p

Nah man, if I had a Wii U then I'd probably get it, but I don't, and I sure as hell ain't playing it on the 3DS. Right now it's either Danganronpa or Transistor. I'm playing through and the former right now and it is intense, disturbing stuff - I love it. Hope it doesn't go downhill along the way.

EhoaVash

wii u version probably will be ...

3DS version? hell no ..the awful circle pad and laggy online smash ..blegh not even in my mind.

Crazyorloco

Easily yes. And I imagine the Wii U version is going to be the definitive smash bros game. So I expect the Wii U version to be GOTY. The only competition I see are the GTA 5 ports.

Just add voice chat for smash on the Wii u...please Nintendo.

It probably won't even be the best game that released that week (I've yet to play Shadows of Mordor, but I'm hyped for it, and completely done with Smash3DS).

pantsmith

Controls are terrible, theres no escaping it. This seems like a pretty major flaw when it comes to "Game of the Year", and something a lot of other (great!) games got right.

WiiU version will be excellent.

Azuran

Banned
Nope, I love the game, but I had to say I had way more fun with MK8. Would still be playing that one non-stop if it wasn't for school getting in the way.

Top Bottom