• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original God of War developer: God of War 3 looks better than Gears 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabuza

Banned
I think he's being a little generous with his Gears of War 2 praise - it certainly isn't the best looking title of 2008 (Killzone 2 beta beats it handily)

But here's what he has to say to about GOW3 and even at 60FPS I believe him

http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2008/11/vgxpowtf.html

ps. I saw GOD OF WAR III when I was in Santa Monica last week. I can and will not give away details. But I think it's ok for me to say two things:

a- HOLY HOLY HOLY FUCKING HELL!!!!
b- I thought GEARS OF WARS 2 looked about as good as a next-gen game could look....and that game is currently- and will probably remain- my game of the year. And hell, I think I actually get to vote on that kind of stuff in some circles :) And unless I get blown away by POP or something else I missed, GEARS 2 is the SHIT....this year. Dudes and dudettes, fucking WAIT till you see the amazing graphics...just fucking wait.

I'm beginning to think most of that teaser we saw wasn't CG but in-game.

-Winnie-

MickeyKnox said:
I fail to see how being better looking than Gears 2 should be considered a "mind blowing" achievement.

Well, Gears 2 looks a lot better than a lot of other games out there.

And if that E3 teaser was realtime or if God of War III ends up looking that good... PS3 is god.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Of course it is going to look good, it is a work in progress that is obviously designed to be shown off. Would the developers really let observers see the texture pop in and the like? No. They design a super level and show it off maximum X 10. Look at what Epic did, they only showcased the levels they perfected; in super high resolution and in their territory.

The levels that were showed off were different to the retail release, etc. (in linear path, enemy spawn, etc)

The point of the story is, I'll wait and see what it looks like on MY TV, in my house, on my PS3.

Kuroyume said:
So does this mean that he thinks Gears 2 looks better than KZ2?

Killzone 2 isn't releasing this year.

And I agree with him btw, Gears 2 is the best looking title this year (in-game). MGS4 looks better during cutscenes though.

There are other games coming out next year that will surpass gears on consoles... Regardless, I'm sure this will look fantastic...GoW2 actually looks better than a lot of next gen games

warhead is the best looking game this year, but that is PC I suppose

God of War 3 looking amazing really isn't surprising. I mean, even if you ignore that what you see is very controlled so they can make that immediate bit as beautiful as they want, the games still look amazing. GoW2 is the best looking game on the PS2 and GoW PSP is the best looking game on the PSP (or really portable game ever)

It probably will...the animation will most certainly crush anything gears has, and if the framerate is 60fps, then GeOW2 can hang it up. It never had the title imo, but ok.

Rezbit

Oh my god, oh my god I'm totally flipping out I can't breathe...graphics! GRAAAAPHIIIICCSSSSS GOD YES GRAPHICS ALL OVER MEEEEEE!!

MrHicks

Banned
Rezbit said:
Oh my god, oh my god I'm totally flipping out I can't breathe...graphics! GRAAAAPHIIIICCSSSSS GOD YES GRAPHICS ALL OVER MEEEEEE!!

this
these graphic whore wars are so stupid

BeeDog

Private Hoffman said:
Was there ever any doubt? This is God of War, dood.

Well, y'know, when it comes to Sony, they've sometimes released CG trailers waaaaaaaaaay too early before any ingame-related stuff materialized. :lol

neorej

ERMYGERD!
acm2000 said:
maker of coca cola says coca cola tastes better than pepsi, more news at 10!

This would've made sense if Jaffe still worked for Sony. He doesn't so....

fail.PNG

MickeyKnox said:
I fail to see how being better looking than Gears 2 should be considered a "mind blowing" achievement.

I kinda agree here, Gears 2 has beautiful texture work but other than that there is nothing else going on. Standard animation, lighting, and no pretty effects anywhere.

Still though GOW3 looking good cannot surprise anyone, GOW2 in HD still beats the shovelware we see on PS3/360 and the PS2 is one heavily dated machine under the hood.
So does this mean that was gameplay? Thats pretty awesome.

When KZ2 was shown first, it was obviously CG. Next we saw it in 07, it clearly wasn't. GOW3 had a CG trailer already, so maybe this really was in-game. :D

Rezbit said:

Oh god I cannot stop laughing! :lol

@Graphic whore commenters, I don't worry about gameplay from first party Sony, especially GOW. It always rocks. :D

MvmntInGrn said:
I kinda agree here, Gears 2 has beautiful texture work but other than that there is nothing else going on. Standard animation, lighting, and no pretty effects anywhere.

Still though GOW3 looking good cannot surprise anyone, GOW2 in HD still beats the shovelware we see on PS3/360 and the PS2 is one heavily dated machine under the hood.
So does this mean that was gameplay? Thats pretty awesome.

When KZ2 was shown first, it was obviously CG. Next we saw it in 07, it clearly wasn't. GOW3 had a CG trailer already, so maybe this really was in-game. :D

Oh god I cannot stop laughing! :lol

@Graphic whore commenters, I don't worry about gameplay from first party Sony, especially GOW. It always rocks. :D

well, since he is the director of the first game, it is obvious he saw ingame stuff

nelsonroyale said:
well, since he is the director of the first game, it is obvious he saw ingame stuff

I suppose but I doubt Sony would make another CG trailer if it looked good enough to show to anyone in-game.

mabuza said:
I think he's being a little generous with his Gears of War 2 praise - it certainly isn't the best looking title of 2008 (Killzone 2 beta beats it handily)

Hu? What? I stopped reading there.

FirewalkR

Jaffe why dost thou tease me so said:
#1- I just said GEARS 2 is the BEST fucking playing and looking game of the year....better than any PS3 game. And there are some damn good PS3 games, I feel.

#2- FUCK YOU! I ain't no fan boy but this mother fucking game looks like nothing you've ever played...and you can hold me to that when this thing hits and when they start showing gameplay footage. It looks like a painting come to life- it's THAT good looking.

Slight update by Jaffe in response to some of the comments in the blog.

I approve of how hyped this makes me feel. I'm easy.

iceatcs

Killzone 2 already infect in this thread :(
(I'm starting I dunno I will looking forward on 4th Dec :\)

I really love GOW, killing the enemies always give me so satisfy, crazy over the top gore final attack.

I always wondering what it will be on PS3, especially blood effect - I think it is probably main thing on graphics effect. (I suspect Jaffe talking about) Fully physics effect?

jiggle

FirewalkR said:
#2- FUCK YOU! I ain't no fan boy but this mother fucking game looks like nothing you've ever played...and you can hold me to that when this thing hits and when they start showing gameplay footage. It looks like a painting come to life- it's THAT good looking.

BBC mystery game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom